Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Closed Thread

Old 28-09-2011, 01:24 PM   #601
4.0i OHC
Computer Torque Control

Default Re: FG Falcon MKII

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpd80
Interesting that so many journalists just assume that the RWD Falcon is dead and buried,
they are talking about a future global platform because that will save Ford money, I doubt it
because one of the greatest hallmarks of the own design Falcon is its ability to undercut costs
of international platforms like
- Fusion (FG Falcon)
- Taurus (AU falcon)
- Taurus (EA Falcon) (and stillborn Capricorn project)
- Granada (XD Falcon)
- US Maverick (XA Falcon)

I rest my case.....
Excellent post. The Falcon has been dead since 1979. Apparently.

I have one question. In my opinion, one of the greates blunders that Ford Australia made in the last decade was to drop the optional Aussie-designed AU IRS for the global Control Blade IRS (and then make it standard on the sedan range so that there is no escape from it). Was there a significant cost saving involved?
Old 28-09-2011, 01:26 PM   #602
4.0i OHC
Computer Torque Control

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8
You just need to remember to mention the Commodore and how much better you think it is in every article about Falcon, and you'll be writing for drive in no time.

The journos at drive can bring the Commodore into any Falcon article with the slightest possible segue. They will say something like "the Falcon has 4 wheels, and its largest competitor, which outsells it and is sending the Falcon to the graveyard, also has 4 wheels".

Then find a way to mention Falcon sales are declining and its just a matter of time before they stop manufacturing in Oz.
What are they going to go on about now that the Falcon (in FG Series II guise) has standard curtain airbags across the range?

I bet Josh is crying in bed about this.
Old 28-09-2011, 01:41 PM   #603
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polyal
Look at the sales volumes....
I agree, but Ford need something to get the punters back...looking...
Old 28-09-2011, 01:43 PM   #604
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by csv8
I agree, but Ford need something to get the punters back...looking...
\
On tv in America..I see an average of 3 Ford ads an hour..mainly the F truck..
Ford Australia must have a low advertising budget??
Old 28-09-2011, 02:04 PM   #605
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4.0i OHC
What are they going to go on about now that the Falcon (in FG Series II guise) has standard curtain airbags across the range?

Oh, don't worry, they will find something else to whinge and nitpick about.

And yes, the CB IRS was cheaper to make than the AU IRS and allowed for greater harmonisation with modular manufacturing processes. Maybe not significant per unit, but over thousands of vehicles the saving adds up.

1970 XW Falcon GT replica | 1970 XW Falcon | 1971 XY Fairmont | 1973 ZG Fairlane | 1986 XF Falcon panel van | 1987 XFII Falcon S-Pack | 1988 XF Falcon GLS ute | 1993 EBII Fairmont V8 | 1996 XG Falcon ute | 2000 AU Falcon wagon | 2004 BA Falcon XT | 2012 SZ Territory Titanium AWD

Proud to buy Australian and support Ford Australia through thick and thin
Old 28-09-2011, 02:11 PM   #606
Silver Ghia
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: As Silver Ghia his contributions to the AU and BA technical areas have been of high quality and valuable to the member base. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road_Warrior
And yes, the CB IRS was cheaper to make than the AU IRS and allowed for greater harmonisation with modular manufacturing processes. Maybe not significant per unit, but over thousands of vehicles the saving adds up.
Another justification was that the CB IRS is 20kg lighter in weight than the AU IRS.

Unfortunately the AU IRS was superior and without the potential bush problems.
Old 28-09-2011, 05:00 PM   #607
outback_ute
Ute Forum Moderator
Contributing Member

The weight saving is indicative of big cost savings. I don't believe there is an issue with the CB IRS itself, just (!) the diff mounting which is a separate issue. The AU IRS was basically the an adaption of the Mustang Cobra wasn't it?
Old 28-09-2011, 05:11 PM   #608
FalconXV
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Is it superior just for roadholding or also for refinement? Does anyone know exactly why it's superior? I hope they revise CB to incorporate the best aspects of the AU setup. Seems the AU steered better than subsequent models aswell.
Old 28-09-2011, 05:15 PM   #609
AMGC63
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Ghia
Another justification was that the CB IRS is 20kg lighter in weight than the AU IRS.

Unfortunately the AU IRS was superior and without the potential bush problems.
You don't remember the shock mount issues with the AU rear? its not without issues either..
Old 28-09-2011, 06:07 PM   #610
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Quote:
Originally Posted by FalconXV
Is it superior just for roadholding or also for refinement? Does anyone know exactly why it's superior? I hope they revise CB to incorporate the best aspects of the AU setup. Seems the AU steered better than subsequent models aswell.
The beauty of CB IRS is that ride quality can be tuned independently of road holding,
not many multi link IRS systems can do that and it's the reason what Falcon's IRS is so good.
Old 28-09-2011, 08:24 PM   #611
malazn mafia
Boss 335

Quote:
Originally Posted by outback_ute
The weight saving is indicative of big cost savings. I don't believe there is an issue with the CB IRS itself, just (!) the diff mounting which is a separate issue. The AU IRS was basically the an adaption of the Mustang Cobra wasn't it?
Is there a fix for the diff mounting to stop it from chewing bushes?
Old 29-09-2011, 01:01 AM   #612
drew`SEVNT5
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4.0i OHC

S******se sales figures should do nicely.

-2011 Nissan 370z Coupe (6M)-
-2006 Husqvarna SMRR450-

Last edited by Professor Farnsworth; 29-09-2011 at 02:03 AM. Reason: language
Old 29-09-2011, 06:36 PM   #613
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Think about this, last month Falcon sold around 1625, Territory 1665 and Ute was 593.

Now even without considering the increase in sales that that EcoLPI will bring,

the average transaction price for the three mosels is probably around:
1) Falcon - $35K to $40 K -most are fleet special XR6s with a few G6, G6E, G6ET and XR6T
2) Territory - $45 to $50K - around 75-80% sales are diesels
3) Ute - $30 to $35K - most are fleet specials with a few XR6 and XR6 Ts

That puts the average price of all Falcon products at roughly, $38K to $42K per vehicle.
I'm no accountant but that looks like a fairly lucrative venture.....
Old 29-09-2011, 07:05 PM   #614
Gobes32
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpd80
Think about this, last month Falcon sold around 1625, Territory 1665 and Ute was 593.

Now even without considering the increase in sales that that EcoLPI will bring,

the average transaction price for the three mosels is probably around:
1) Falcon - $35K to $40 K -most are fleet special XR6s with a few G6, G6E, G6ET and XR6T
2) Territory - $45 to $50K - around 75-80% sales are diesels
3) Ute - $30 to $35K - most are fleet specials with a few XR6 and XR6 Ts

That puts the average price of all Falcon products at roughly, $38K to $42K per vehicle.
I'm no accountant but that looks like a fairly lucrative venture.....
Keep in mind that Ford have a very lean labour force too, would be interesting as to how profitable/unprofitable they are at this rate.
A G8E would be good if Ford marketed squarely at Calais V8 owners. They need to bring back the walking fingers like in the initial FG ads, but this time have the fingers crushing Calais' as they walk along, with some relaxing background Led Zeppelin music and Marcos Ambrose in stubbies and singlet driving it.
Old 29-09-2011, 08:10 PM   #615
prydey
Rob

no no no, you have it all wrong. how can they be making money when commodore sells so many cars. how can they be making money if they aren't no.1 in sales. how can i win the arguments in the schoolyard if they aren't no.1!! or selling 15000/mnth.
Old 29-09-2011, 08:12 PM   #616
AMGC63
Banned

It doesnt matter how many cars you sell if you lose money on each one.

Being profitable is more important than selling the most cars.
Old 29-09-2011, 08:13 PM   #617
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by prydey
how can they be making money if they aren't no.1 in sales.
They're No 2 actually. Mazda 3 is selling more units and Toyoma sells more cars.
Old 29-09-2011, 08:25 PM   #618
prydey
Rob

i should use the emoticons more often.
Old 29-09-2011, 09:13 PM   #619
Gobes32
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Sarcasm is hard to detect sometimes..........
A G8E would be good if Ford marketed squarely at Calais V8 owners. They need to bring back the walking fingers like in the initial FG ads, but this time have the fingers crushing Calais' as they walk along, with some relaxing background Led Zeppelin music and Marcos Ambrose in stubbies and singlet driving it.
Old 30-09-2011, 12:37 AM   #620
FalconXV
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Look what this guy is claiming.
http://www.caradvice.com.au/138129/f...comment-314169

Quote:
- ron says:
September 18, 2011 at 4:22 pm

What was also omitted here is that this car has a new set of headlights meaning that the short beams are PROJECTOR LIGHTS instead of REFLECTORS.

This gives a car a new look.

The new I6 4.0L is further tuned, however mechanically identical to the current FG I6.

It will make 212kW at 6000rpm and 425Nm of torque at 2500-3500rpm.

This is thanks to a brand new computer software that will manage the engine that is already in existence.

As we know the current model makes 205kW and 420Nm on premium 98 octane fuel.

With MkII it will make 212kW/425Nm as above on just 91 octanes. This proves the fact that this engine has a lot of untapped resources. Where on 98 according to two insiders it will push 225kW and close to 440Nm putting it in very potent category and with the new 7 speed French automatic it is claimed will do 6s 0-100km/h while the G6E and XR6 N/A will do 5.7s with a new 9 speed ZF from Germany a $12000 option. Final drivers are lower at 2.24:1 and not 2.73:1 as they used to be. They are all single spinners including the XR6 Turbo where its power remains at 270kW yet torque rises to 640Nm from 533Nm? how is this achieved? power static yet torque UP UP UP???????????

So in summary we can expect.

New projector lights on G6E and XR models.
212kW/425Nm from a standard N/A engine
270kW/640Nm from an XR6 Turbo engine (F6 however makes 350kW yet only 600Nm?????????????? but from 1100rpm to 6800rpm flat versus XR6 Turbo 640Nm from 1750 to 5750rpm)

new 7 speed frensh designed american made auto (same as the 5 speeder yet with 2 more cogs, one between 3rd and 4th and 4th and 5th , making the 7th 0.71 final drive at 2.24:1 final diff ration 100km/h speeds are expected at 1100rpm when clutch is locked in 7th gear.

You get a car that is essentially the same as the current model, but improved with bits and pieces that make it a lot prettier and smarter. What i do not understand why is the 9 speed ZF a $12000 option.
When i drove it , it felt like a 6 speed ZF that i have in my 5.4L BF 2005 Fairmont Ghia that now happily has reached only 290,000km and the last time i changed transmission oil was at 185,000km, still going.

So there ya go Folks
Ron
Quote:
Vote +1 - ron says:
September 18, 2011 at 4:25 pm

and i have failed to note:

the I6 will get new set of coil on plugs, the front rotors will be borrowed from a previous BF XR8 MkII including calipers, new 17″ steels will be available for Utes to accommodate the new caliper size.

The car will not have DIRECT INJECTION. Everything is mechanically identical apart from ECU software and coil on plugs as far as engine is concerned.

An engineer told me that also the rear springs are 15% stiffer, the front ones are the same for the XT. This improves handling as early XT was a bit bouncy and like a boat or almost… like a boat.

cheers
Quote:
- ron says:
September 18, 2011 at 4:25 pm

and i have failed to note:

the I6 will get new set of coil on plugs, the front rotors will be borrowed from a previous BF XR8 MkII including calipers, new 17″ steels will be available for Utes to accommodate the new caliper size.

The car will not have DIRECT INJECTION. Everything is mechanically identical apart from ECU software and coil on plugs as far as engine is concerned.

An engineer told me that also the rear springs are 15% stiffer, the front ones are the same for the XT. This improves handling as early XT was a bit bouncy and like a boat or almost… like a boat.

cheers

Quote:
- ron says:
September 22, 2011 at 10:48 pm

correction everybody.

its an 8 speed mid range variant of a ZF gearbox, its torque capacity is 650Nm for all stock XTs, G6s, G6Es and turbos across the board.

the 7 speed is a French designed box, just as the 5 speeder, this one helps with mid range acceleration and increases economy as revs drop down when the torque converter utilises its clutch at the full lock up it will do 1050rpm at 100km/h at 100km/h with out a single shake or rattle.

that is according to the info.

the typo was indeed with the 9 speed ZF, the 11 speed ZF is coming in 2015, who needs that many gears anyway.

The new VF Commo will have a 7 speed with a 3.9L SIDI V6, 3924cc … i wonder why haven’t they made it a flat 4.0L V6?

CHEERS TO YA ALL enjoy, and the power figures wont remain the same, they will go up, engine will however mechanically stay the same and identical.
Potential MY13 upgrade or Troll?
In his defense, the details are pretty specific, diff ratios, engine cc etc.
But why would Ford omit things like this from their press release?
Looking at the Facts, Ford now has the 6R80, which I read was modeled on the ZF. Now it wouldn't make much sense to continue importing the ZF6HP26 if they can get 6R80 for cheaper. However, the contract with ZF might still be valid ( anyone shed light on this?) and so they want to maintain cache and upgrade perhaps?

Bearing in mind they didn't have to calibrate the BF , and kept the BMW 5 series settings, they could do the same with the 8 speed, which must be getting cheaper by now? Makes sense to me..
Or have I just wasted everybody's time?

Last edited by FalconXV; 30-09-2011 at 12:43 AM.
Old 30-09-2011, 01:02 AM   #621
stang65
FPRJET

Interesting ,Laughable, could it be possible? Who knows sometimes it sounds like crap and bang it hit yah. But I very much doubt it. Funny though.
Old 30-09-2011, 01:14 AM   #622
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

XR6T at 640NM....um no
Old 30-09-2011, 01:14 AM   #623
SteveJH
No longer a Uni student..

I call Troll.
Old 30-09-2011, 01:32 AM   #624
Professor Farnsworth
Fossil fuel consumer

Location: Mod For: Pub, Bar, Sales Yard, Show 'N Shine, Photoshop, AU to BF, FG to FGX, Territory & Sports Bar
Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Many years of valuable contributions to the forum, including some superb build threads. 

LOL troll central - probably one of the old e series guys. The art of trolling is to articulate and include recent comparisons and provide good detail. This is done pretty well.
Old 30-09-2011, 01:51 AM   #625
dylancox

Did Ford really just use the BMW 5 series calibration in the ZF? Never heard of this.
Old 30-09-2011, 01:53 AM   #626
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polyal
XR6T at 640NM....um no
that would be an easy target to hit imo, there is already someone on the forums with a 6t with way more than that iirc.
Old 30-09-2011, 01:53 AM   #627
SteveJH
No longer a Uni student..

Quote:
Originally Posted by dylancox
Did Ford really just use the BMW 5 series calibration in the ZF? Never heard of this.
No idea, but it wouldn't surprise me if it was quite similar.

I doubt it would be exactly the same because the engines in the 5 series have different characteristics to the engines in the Falcon.
Old 30-09-2011, 02:34 AM   #628
Poidevin

Considering the new skoda monte carlo rs is scoring a 7 speed auto why not the falcon? I'm not saying the above stuff from Ron is correct, just wondering about the possibility of a 7 speed falcon.
Old 30-09-2011, 07:34 AM   #629
Danny
GT4.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dylancox
Both my Utes give ungodly and almighty shunts in the rear end everytime we slow down, or slow to a crawl. I've been told this is the ZF. Our X5 3.0d had the same gearbox and never ever was anything but smooth and fantastic. Ford has clearly buggered something up in the implementation. Take it to a service and they act like they don't notice it. Pathetic.
Old 30-09-2011, 07:36 AM   #630
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by mik
that would be an easy target to hit imo, there is already someone on the forums with a 6t with way more than that iirc.
On a note of truth, Ford did build one Ecoboost V6 with 313 Kw (420 hp) and 625 nm (465 lb ft) on their own software
but there was no gearbox in the engineering group that could reliably maintain that torque in a heavy vehicle like F150
so the power was clipped to 270 KW and 565 nm and a modified supplier program used to meet delivery deadline.
Quote:
Originally Posted by FalconXV
Potential MY13 upgrade or Troll?
In his defense, the details are pretty specific, diff ratios, engine cc etc.
But why would Ford omit things like this from their press release?
Looking at the Facts, Ford now has the 6R80, which I read was modeled on the ZF. Now it wouldn't make much sense to continue importing the ZF6HP26 if they can get 6R80 for cheaper. However, the contract with ZF might still be valid ( anyone shed light on this?) and so they want to maintain cache and upgrade perhaps?

Bearing in mind they didn't have to calibrate the BF , and kept the BMW 5 series settings, they could do the same with the 8 speed, which must be getting cheaper by now? Makes sense to me..
Or have I just wasted everybody's time?
IMO, I don't believe any of the power improvement claims made by the anonymous poster for FG II I-6.
The simple point is that most buyers are more interested in fuel economy than power as evidenced by
Diesel Territory, the soon to be released EcoLPI and next year's Ecoboost I-4 engines....

Ford is in the throws of deciding which way to go with the post 2015 Falcon, I seriously doubt there are any plans to
introduce 7/8/9--speed transmissions before that time, they are extremely expensive and only FPV could justify them.

Last edited by jpd80; 30-09-2011 at 07:49 AM.
Closed Thread