Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Closed Thread

Old 30-09-2011, 08:18 AM   #631
prydey
Rob

Default Re: FG Falcon MKII

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny
Both my Utes give ungodly and almighty shunts in the rear end everytime we slow down, or slow to a crawl. I've been told this is the ZF. Our X5 3.0d had the same gearbox and never ever was anything but smooth and fantastic. Ford has clearly buggered something up in the implementation. Take it to a service and they act like they don't notice it. Pathetic.
if you browse bmw forums, (or any euro that uses the zf) you will find they have similar gripes with the 2nd to 1st change when almost stopped, and also the harsh change when taking off from almost stopped. bit harsh to lay it all at fords feet.
Old 30-09-2011, 05:25 PM   #632
Dr Smith
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpd80

IMO, I don't believe any of the power improvement claims made by the anonymous poster for FG II I-6.
The simple point is that most buyers are more interested in fuel economy than power as evidenced by
Diesel Territory, the soon to be released EcoLPI and next year's Ecoboost I-4 engines....
Spot on, today a petrol Falcon returning 7-8L/100km will outsell one doing 0-100km/hr in 5 secs... (unless I'm buying, lol)
Old 30-09-2011, 06:25 PM   #633
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

Massive troll, most of the crap he is spouting is wishful thinking. Then again it is Caradvice, hard to tell half the time whether the trolling is in the articles themselves or the comments that follow them.

1970 XW Falcon GT replica | 1970 XW Falcon | 1971 XY Fairmont | 1973 ZG Fairlane | 1986 XF Falcon panel van | 1987 XFII Falcon S-Pack | 1988 XF Falcon GLS ute | 1993 EBII Fairmont V8 | 1996 XG Falcon ute | 2000 AU Falcon wagon | 2004 BA Falcon XT | 2012 SZ Territory Titanium AWD

Proud to buy Australian and support Ford Australia through thick and thin
Old 30-09-2011, 07:39 PM   #634
gtfpv
GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Smith
Spot on, today a petrol Falcon returning 7-8L/100km will outsell one doing 0-100km/hr in 5 secs... (unless I'm buying, lol)
yes absolutely , and when they do develop one that does this economy , i'm sure a lot of 4cylinder cars will lose sales . one can only hope that falcons can one day can get down to this sort of economy , i guess one day technology will get there though , for now, will have to stick to 9.9 l/100kms if we take it real easy .
Old 30-09-2011, 07:39 PM   #635
thedutchman92

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road_Warrior
Massive troll, most of the crap he is spouting is wishful thinking. Then again it is Caradvice, hard to tell half the time whether the trolling is in the articles themselves or the comments that follow them.
Haha BINGO
Old 30-09-2011, 08:16 PM   #636
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Think about it guys if head office were that unhappy with Falcon sales, they would have pulled it years ago.
The truth is that FoA are containing costs well and picking the market sectors thay want to compete in,
this isnt albot maximizing sales, it all about getting best possible well priced sales in each market sector.
Ford does not need to compete with bargain basement cut price sellers, it can do well bu sticking with affordable quality..
Old 30-09-2011, 08:24 PM   #637
prydey
Rob

funny how these sort of comments never appear in the vfacts threads.
Old 30-09-2011, 08:25 PM   #638
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Yes...and for those who think ford just dropped the zf in and hoped for the best you need to lower your medication.

The zf is not the issue, rear clunks have been around since ba...so join the dots.
Old 30-09-2011, 08:44 PM   #639
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Refinement of a basically sound platform.
What I'm feeling is that there is room for improvement in both exterior, chassis/suspension NVH and jnterior quality and materials used.

- Fix up the rear suspension clunks and bumps that come in time
- Keep giving the Falcon continued updates of even bolder styling
- Update Falcon interior feel and styling with sumptuous materials..

Hey, i can live with the present upgrades, I just feel that Falcon can evolve
into something truly wonderful that can be shared for Lincoln and Mustang
Old 30-09-2011, 09:24 PM   #640
ivorya
Mad Scientist!

Hey jpd80,
I wish we here on the Forums could vote for the next CEO of FORD AUS, cause my vote is with you.
Old 30-09-2011, 09:32 PM   #641
Paxton
Cobblers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by prydey
if you browse bmw forums, (or any euro that uses the zf) you will find they have similar gripes with the 2nd to 1st change when almost stopped, and also the harsh change when taking off from almost stopped. bit harsh to lay it all at fords feet.
It isn't just Ford.

My BMW does it, as did the few E70s that I tested. Second to First really clunks in my E53. I think it is a trait of the Gearbox.

Edit: Polyal - the rear clunks have been around since way before BA - my EF is terrible at shifting if you're going up hill. Whine, Clunk, Second. Rev, Clunk, Third. Then it'll lock third, because I don't give it Drive...
Roses are red. Violets are blue. OS X rocks. Homage to you.
Old 30-09-2011, 10:03 PM   #642
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paxton
It isn't just Ford.

My BMW does it, as did the few E70s that I tested. Second to First really clunks in my E53. I think it is a trait of the Gearbox.

Edit: Polyal - the rear clunks have been around since way before BA - my EF is terrible at shifting if you're going up hill. Whine, Clunk, Second. Rev, Clunk, Third. Then it'll lock third, because I don't give it Drive...
Andrew, you have to admit that the ZF's 2-1 clunk is infinity better than the Borg Warner/BTR/Ion 1-2 whir...clunk we put up with for years..
Old 30-09-2011, 10:14 PM   #643
Paxton
Cobblers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpd80
Andrew, you have to admit that the ZF's 2-1 clunk is infinity better than the Borg Warner/BTR/Ion 1-2 whir...clunk we put up with for years..
John - the ZF is an engineering masterpiece. It is the smoothest, best shifting 'box I have ever driven. I have two complaints - the 2-1 Clunk, which it doesn't do all the time, and the fact that BMW won't let you rev it all out in SSS mode. It's been so long that I can't remember if Ford's engineers gave you that option.

I love my Falcon, but in hindsight, I'd have just put up with the Wife complaining, and bought a Manual. If the EF goes for a BF, I'll have the ZF every time, but any earlier Falcon, Manual all the way.
Roses are red. Violets are blue. OS X rocks. Homage to you.
Old 30-09-2011, 10:31 PM   #644
Danny
GT4.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paxton
John - the ZF is an engineering masterpiece.
Was Pax, back in 06 it was a big thing for Ford, and BMW cringed when anyone mentioned it. BMW's on ZF 8 speeds now, and the big four euro's are all going onto DCT, or at least 7 speeds.
Old 01-10-2011, 03:59 PM   #645
Ford_The_Win
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Ok so I just saw one of these in the flesh, a G6E Mk II, and they look fantastic, definitely stands out more than the previous model, more presence. Love the new chrome. Rear end and wheels looked the same as the FG G6E.
Old 01-10-2011, 04:34 PM   #646
TC200six
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford_The_Win
Ok so I just saw one of these in the flesh, a G6E Mk II, and they look fantastic, definitely stands out more than the previous model, more presence. Love the new chrome. Rear end and wheels looked the same as the FG G6E.
Can't wait to see one, I thought the CG images Ford released didn't do its looks any justice.
Old 01-10-2011, 10:41 PM   #647
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by FalconXV
Look what this guy is claiming.
http://www.caradvice.com.au/138129/f...comment-314169

Potential MY13 upgrade or Troll?
In his defense, the details are pretty specific, diff ratios, engine cc etc.
But why would Ford omit things like this from their press release?
Looking at the Facts, Ford now has the 6R80, which I read was modeled on the ZF. Now it wouldn't make much sense to continue importing the ZF6HP26 if they can get 6R80 for cheaper. However, the contract with ZF might still be valid ( anyone shed light on this?) and so they want to maintain cache and upgrade perhaps?

Bearing in mind they didn't have to calibrate the BF , and kept the BMW 5 series settings, they could do the same with the 8 speed, which must be getting cheaper by now? Makes sense to me..
Or have I just wasted everybody's time?
Its a troll. I've seen MkII engines, and nothing is different on them bar the aircon bracket which has switched to the Territory one, done already, and the wiring loom is different. Coils are exactly the same as previous. Ford have even claimed in their press releases for MkII that power and torque remains the same as previous with no mechanical changes.

Everything he claims is bogus, bar the projector lights which is no secret, its in the press release.

Ford did all the work on the engine last year with the Euro 4 upgrade. They couldn't wait for MkII as they needed it done by July 2010.
Old 01-10-2011, 11:02 PM   #648
Nikked
Oo\===/oO

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Long time member, loves Fords, sensible contributor and does some good and interesting posts. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gobes32
I would imagine they are that close you would be splitting hairs, since VE & FG, the Commodore and Falcon are very similarly stamped out and it would come down to design more than anything else.
You would be surprised just how different they are.

There are your normal steels, such as mild steel, that was the main type used for so many years.

Now you have High Strength and Ultra High strength, including boron Steels. These allow the use of thin panels (1.0-.8mm) whilst providing greater strength.

Then there are materials such as foams that are used to help absorb impact.

Many new cars have panels that cant be cut, the VE ute has a one piece 1/4 panel that includes the ute tub side and door frame. Unlike the old utes where the exterior skin was just cut of and a new one welded on, the VE requires the whole side to be installed, this means that the roof also needs to be replaced.

And the latest Subaru Impreza's have a center piller that can only be cut in the factory defined location requireing roof to be replaced.

This is all due to these new steels, where heat destroys the strength...

Check out my Photo-chop page

T...I...C...K...F...O...R...D
\≡≡T≡≡/
Old 01-10-2011, 11:05 PM   #649
Falc'man
You dig, we stick!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FalconXV
Look what this guy is claiming.
He has a very good imagination.
Old 02-10-2011, 12:21 AM   #650
Till_Lind
E-series fan

All this clunking business makes me kinda happy about my 4 speed BTR, lol. Primitive yes, but smooth as hell through all gear changes.
Old 02-10-2011, 01:19 AM   #651
Ford_The_Win
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Till_Lind
All this clunking business makes me kinda happy about my 4 speed BTR, lol. Primitive yes, but smooth as hell through all gear changes.
Except for that slightly annoying whooooop first gear noise
Old 02-10-2011, 11:24 AM   #652
prydey
Rob

Quote:
have you driven a 6sp? hardly a comparison! 1st to 2nd is noticeable as it changes at about 15km/h when driven normally. 2nd to 3rd is perceptible if you are looking for it. the rest, the only way you'd know it changed was looking at the tacho. hardly a clunker. it just has some traits that stand out becuase the rest of it is soooo good.

i was in a lane that was going to run out the other day, and there was a car beside me. rather than yield and slot in behind, i buried the right boot. no delay, no trying 3rd and then back to 2nd etc etc, it just was instant acceleration in the correct gear. no lag even waiting for the ecu to work out what to do. no comparison to the 4sp!!
Old 02-10-2011, 01:47 PM   #653
Gobes32
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikked

Many new cars have panels that cant be cut, the VE ute has a one piece 1/4 panel that includes the ute tub side and door frame. Unlike the old utes where the exterior skin was just cut of and a new one welded on, the VE requires the whole side to be installed, this means that the roof also needs to be replaced.
Much like the Orion, 8R29 F 278A98/99, you are speaking of a one piece bodyside, for increased rigidness. Oops, I said too much........
A G8E would be good if Ford marketed squarely at Calais V8 owners. They need to bring back the walking fingers like in the initial FG ads, but this time have the fingers crushing Calais' as they walk along, with some relaxing background Led Zeppelin music and Marcos Ambrose in stubbies and singlet driving it.
Old 02-10-2011, 02:15 PM   #654
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Perception.
The 2-1 "clunk" Paxton is referring to is very minor annoyance on a $40,000 Falcon but a major annoyance on a $80K-120K BMW.

Compared to the old 4-speeder and my R6's 5-speeder, the ZF is beautiful.
You should really try it, I was amazed at the difference between it and my box...
Old 02-10-2011, 10:17 PM   #655
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Quote:
You haven't driven a ZF then? You wouldn't use the 4 speed on a tractor these days. The ZF is a good box when working right...mind you drove a G6E recently and the box wasn't right as I the others I have driven drove bloody well.
Old 02-10-2011, 11:17 PM   #656
naddis01
\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/

Quote:
Originally Posted by vztrt
You haven't driven a ZF then? You wouldn't use the 4 speed on a tractor these days.
Thats because they are moving to CVT technology instead.
Old 03-10-2011, 08:46 PM   #657
Brazen
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

It might have been lost with the announcement of the FG MKII but it looks like only the G6 and XT will have the ecoboost option. Amazing considering 45% of falcons are XRs and even the G6E isnt getting it. With the new EcoLPI will the Ecoboost sell more than a handful a month?

edit: G6E Is getting it!
Old 03-10-2011, 08:52 PM   #658
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brazen
It might have been lost with the announcement of the FG MKII but it looks like only the G6 and XT will have the ecoboost option. Amazing considering 45% of falcons are XRs and even the G6E isnt getting it. With the new EcoLPI will the Ecoboost sell more than a handful a month?

Maybe cause the ecoboost is to target the fleet market and to be honest that market will be lower models. As for no XR4T, could be an image thing that Ford found during market research.
Old 03-10-2011, 09:17 PM   #659
Bossxr8
Peter Car

A Falcon XR4 would be totally ghey.
Old 03-10-2011, 09:26 PM   #660
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brazen

edit: G6E Is getting it!
oh look, brazen found a way to stick his boot into ford again. what a surprise.
Closed Thread