Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 01-10-2020, 04:49 PM   #781
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Default Re: The Camping Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by prydey View Post
Not us. Maybe a day trip or two, but no camping.
ive been looking for somewhere close to home but its packed out almost everywhere.
Might just stay home and do my dual battery install, spent last weekend fitting the rear drawers and wings.
BENT_8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 01-10-2020, 05:20 PM   #782
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by BENT_8 View Post
ive been looking for somewhere close to home but its packed out almost everywhere.
Might just stay home and do my dual battery install, spent last weekend fitting the rear drawers and wings.
I looked at big 4 at 'the bend motorsport park' just out of curiosity, even just a cabin rather than taking the van, and it annoyed me they had a 3 night minimum on nearly all the options. I know if you ring up they may choose to ignore that depending on demand but those types of things annoy me.

We are booked in to halls gap in November but even if borders open by then the family is no longer keen. I reckon my van will be parked up for a while, possibly Easter next year.

Good chance to get a couple of jobs done as you say. Outlet on water tank underneath has always had a drip and I wouldn't mind fitting a proper water level gauge so might pull the tank out and have a play.
Old 01-10-2020, 05:22 PM   #783
Beastie
The Terrain Tamer
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Catering services for a bunch of layabouts and for being an all-round good guy whose sense of community goes above and beyond. 

Caravan Parks will be booked solid for a long time, especially during the school holidays.

We were lucky to get a spot at Myall River and that was the week before school holidays and restrictions to other states were lifted.
Old 01-10-2020, 05:50 PM   #784
Trevor 57
is now there

Nothing until the traditional Bathurst weekend, the missus and I are heading up into the bush for 3 days with the van, once the Vict school holidays are over. Then taking a few extra days Melb Cup weekend and going away with the family
Old 07-10-2020, 11:39 AM   #785
sgt_doofey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I was planning on being on the road to head over to Bathurst today. Pity those plans fell through. Would have been somewhere over the Hay Plains around about the time of this posting.
Will just have to plan for other trips then I guess. We're planning on staying at West Beach over Christmas, so that will be fun, but won't be camping then. I'll have to start thinking about what we can do next!
Old 07-10-2020, 12:56 PM   #786
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by prydey View Post
We are booked in to halls gap in November but even if borders open by then the family is no longer keen. I reckon my van will be parked up for a while, possibly Easter next year.
Halls Gap trip is cancelled. Too much uncertainty still with borders etc.

Have booked Mambray Ck (Mt Remarkable National Park, Southern flinders, for those in other states) for easter.

Don't camp through summer due to heat and no a/c. Would normally travel to bris to visit the folks but that is also in doubt this year.
Old 07-10-2020, 02:11 PM   #787
b0son
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

We're heading down to Gungarlin River in the Kosciuszko NP, assuming I can kick a cold in the next day or so. First long distance trip away from home with the camper trailer. Curious to see whether we'll have enough gas, power, etc for 3 nights away....
b0son is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 08-10-2020, 12:28 PM   #788
Trevor 57
is now there

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor 57 View Post
Nothing until the traditional Bathurst weekend, the missus and I are heading up into the bush for 3 days with the van, once the Vict school holidays are over.
Thanks Victoria for the **** weather - we are staying home this weekend
Old 08-10-2020, 05:13 PM   #789
b0son
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Thanks Victoria for the **** weather - we are staying home this weekend
Same. Ended up getting a covid test as a precaution but because of the new cases, tests are taking longer than 24hrs and I still dont have a result. Even if I did, I dont feel like driving 400km+ with a head cold and it was going to be cold and wet up there anyway :(
b0son is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-10-2020, 07:07 PM   #790
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Well thought out and constructive posts.  A real credit to this forum. 

Its pretty crap here in SA in terms of booking anything. Looks like we have to book 6-12 months in advance to get a camp site on any long weekend.

Looks like Im going no where fast, even for xmas.

2022 Mazda CX5 GTSP Turbo

2018 Hyundai Santa Fe Highlander

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2021 Subaru Outback Sport
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 AU2 75th Anniversary Futura
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1984 Datsun Bluebird Wagon
1975 Honda Civic
blueoval is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-10-2020, 08:26 PM   #791
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueoval View Post
Its pretty crap here in SA in terms of booking anything. Looks like we have to book 6-12 months in advance to get a camp site on any long weekend.

Looks like Im going no where fast, even for xmas.
Not normally, but with the border closures it's just the nature of the beast unfortunately. Even places that are normally very quiet are filling up.
Old 10-10-2020, 12:31 AM   #792
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Plenty of room on sites at West beach where im currently kicking back, was a bit blowy yestetday when i arrived so i just parked the camper on my site, went to bowls practice and set it up when i got back and the wind had eased. Got up this morning to light breeze and clear blue skies, im currently sitting outside under the awning with a can of JD's finest and its bloody beautiful, not a breath of wind.
Still plenty of vacant sites.

Ive given up on bush camping for the time being, everythings booked up and to be honest, with how often/well the amenities in those places get cleaned id rather hang out in a quality caravan park where i know they stay on top of that.
Old 10-10-2020, 08:19 AM   #793
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Quote:
Plenty of room on sites at West beach where im currently kicking back, was a bit blowy yestetday when i arrived so i just parked the camper on my site, went to bowls practice and set it up when i got back and the wind had eased. Got up this morning to light breeze and clear blue skies, im currently sitting outside under the awning with a can of JD's finest and its bloody beautiful, not a breath of wind.

Ive given up on bush camping for the time being, everythings booked up and to be honest, with how often/well the amenities in those places get cleaned id rather hang out in a quality caravan park where i know they stay on top of that.

roKWiz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-10-2020, 11:38 AM   #794
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by roKWiz View Post
Umm...its Adelaides premier caravan park in the school holidays and the bogans cant get to Bali, there is no serenity to speak of.

But it is what it is, so i embrace it.
Old 10-10-2020, 11:54 AM   #795
Tassie f100
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

If you are going to caravan parks with hot running water flush toilets,camp kitchens etc I don’t call that camping.If you are going to those sorts of places why not sell the $20-60,000 caravan and 4x4,and buy a regular car,and stay in either cabins or motels.Buy a lot of nights for $100k
Tassie f100 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 10-10-2020, 12:08 PM   #796
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tassie f100 View Post
If you are going to caravan parks with hot running water flush toilets,camp kitchens etc I don’t call that camping.If you are going to those sorts of places why not sell the $20-60,000 caravan and 4x4,and buy a regular car,and stay in either cabins or motels.Buy a lot of nights for $100k
Totally agreed, its glamping, but my camper cost $14k and the depreciation on this type is minimal so its not really costing me anything, infact with RV's in short supply at the minute id probably get what i paid for it.
Further more, whilst cabins etc. Are cheaper in the long run when you factor in rego, insurance, additional fuel costs and site fee's to stay in a van or camper, atleast i know who slept in the bed last night.
Then when things settle down and the new money Bali bogans **** off for a Bin Tang, i can get back to the bush.
Old 10-10-2020, 02:59 PM   #797
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tassie f100 View Post
Yep cheek-by-jawl caravan parks.
My motorhome has been staying home lately because its cheaper and more convenient to stay here in a motel without all the holiday bogans you find in caravan parks.

2 users like this post:
Old 11-10-2020, 06:21 AM   #798
Trevor 57
is now there

We went of a picnic lunch yesterday to where we were going to go camping. There was a about 15 -20 bogans camped (breaching Vic's covid rules) they decided about mid afternoon to drag out some guns and start randomly shooting in the campground, not sure where they were shooting but they were doing it as we walked past to a tourist site, frightened the bejesus out of my my wife and grandkids. There was a .22 involved, I could make it out, I don't reckon the 2nd gun was a shotgun, sounded more like a big rifle.

This is a well known public bush camp with about 4 other lots of people camping in there

So, a quick phone call to the local police when we got phone service, interesting he said a car was already on its way there as someone else had rung it in. Someone must have had a sat phone

As a side note, I will never ever believe the weather people again, the weather was wonderful all weekend, but in hindsight it was good to not be there with those bogans
Old 11-10-2020, 09:19 AM   #799
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Quote:
We went of a picnic lunch yesterday to where we were going to go camping. There was a about 15 -20 bogans camped (breaching Vic's covid rules) they decided about mid afternoon to drag out some guns and start randomly shooting in the campground, not sure where they were shooting but they were doing it as we walked past to a tourist site, frightened the bejesus out of my my wife and grandkids. There was a .22 involved, I could make it out, I don't reckon the 2nd gun was a shotgun, sounded more like a big rifle.

This is a well known public bush camp with about 4 other lots of people camping in there

So, a quick phone call to the local police when we got phone service, interesting he said a car was already on its way there as someone else had rung it in. Someone must have had a sat phone

As a side note, I will never ever believe the weather people again, the weather was wonderful all weekend, but in hindsight it was good to not be there with those bogans

Hillbillies holiday, shooting for some food, when up from the ground came a bubbling crude..............These are the tossers who get National Parks permanently locked up from the rest of us.

Good on you calling the cops.

This user likes this post:
Old 11-10-2020, 10:54 AM   #800
Trevor 57
is now there

If they were away on their own, I wouldn't care, but this a properly fenced with drop toilets camp area. There were families in there camping as well
Old 11-10-2020, 05:45 PM   #801
naddis01
\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/

This was the view from the step of my camper over the weekend....

naddis01 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
6 users like this post:
Old 12-10-2020, 05:44 PM   #802
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Well thought out and constructive posts.  A real credit to this forum. 

Heading to deep creek on the last day of Oct with the mrs for an over nighter. First time she will be with me camping. Just sleeping in the car. Setting up under our side awning. Keeping it real simple. Bringing enough fire wood for a fire and then explore the area the next day. She doesn't like camping, but this was her idea so Im going with it.

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1975 Honda Civic
3 users like this post:
Old 20-10-2020, 02:31 PM   #803
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Hope you guys don't mind me putting these in here, its camping related as this is my new tow rig and a few mods ive done.

As is in my sig, its an 07 VRX diesel Paj with family pack and 18's, I bought it basically bog stock with only an old brake controller fitted as non standard.
Since then I fitted a set of heavy duty Prorack crossbars and a Dune 2.5m awning, I then decided on a roof basket so picked up a Rough Country item from Stupidcheap and a half length rooftop storage bag from Kings.

Next was to fit out the cargo area with a set of 900mm Titan drawers and fridge slide from Kings, to maintain my underfloor storage area I installed the drawers on a hinged system with gas struts and latches to keep it all secure so if I need to get to the factory jack etc. I just pop the latches and up she goes.
To the drawers I mounted my 45L Dometic fridge and my Arkpak, inside the drawers are 4x Kings clear top canvas bags to keep everything separate, neat and easily locatable.
To charge the Arkpak on the run I installed a Projecta 140amp dual battery system with a splitter box in the cargo area so I can charge both Arkpak and camper battery, I finished it off at the back with an ARK 2in1 7pin flat and 50a Anderson plug.
I then turfed the old brake controller in favour of a new Redarc Tow Pro Elite.

Still to come is a 110w fixed solar panel on the basket with mppt controller to charge the Arkpak when im parked up, some work lights to the back of the basket so I can setup in the dark and a rear awning over the cargo door.

Last edited by PG2; 21-10-2020 at 04:17 AM.
5 users like this post:
Old 20-10-2020, 02:38 PM   #804
raised by monkeys
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Camped 2 nights with fam and mates at the Port Lincoln nation park, September Beach. Great beach and campgrounds, fishing no good but plenty of places close by around the park that are fruitful. Long drops only. Glamping tents for hire there also.

Current
SY FPV F6X Territory #214
Previous
FG MkII G6E Turbo built by Heinrichs Performance and Tuning
BFII FPV TORNADO #0021 351rwkw - Heinrich Performance and Tuning

"Milk is for babies. When you grow up you have to drink beer" - Arnold Schwarzenegger
raised by monkeys is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-10-2020, 11:16 AM   #805
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Quote:
Hope you guys don't mind me putting these in here, its camping related as this is my new tow rig and a few mods ive done.

As is in my sig, its an 07 VRX diesel Paj with family pack and 18's, I bought it basically bog stock with only an old brake controller fitted as non standard.
Since then I fitted a set of heavy duty Prorack crossbars and a Dune 2.5m awning, I then decided on a roof basket so picked up a Rough Country item from Stupidcheap and a half length rooftop storage bag from Kings.

Next was to fit out the cargo area with a set of 900mm Titan drawers and fridge slide from Kings, to maintain my underfloor storage area I installed the drawers on a hinged system with gas struts and latches to keep it all secure so if I need to get to the factory jack etc. I just pop the latches and up she goes.
To the drawers I mounted my 45L Dometic fridge and my Arkpak, inside the drawers are 4x Kings clear top canvas bags to keep everything separate, neat and easily locatable.
To charge the Arkpak on the run I installed a Projecta 140amp dual battery system with a splitter box in the cargo area so I can charge both Arkpak and camper battery, I finished it off at the back with an ARK 2in1 7pin flat and 50a Anderson plug.
I then turfed the old brake controller in favour of a new Redarc Tow Pro Elite.

Still to come is a 110w fixed solar panel on the basket with mppt controller to charge the Arkpak when im parked up, some work lights to the back of the basket so I can setup in the dark and a rear awning over the cargo door.

Killer setup mate. Love it. Looks like a serious rig.

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1975 Honda Civic
Old 21-10-2020, 08:38 PM   #806
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueoval View Post
Killer setup mate. Love it. Looks like a serious rig.
Thanks mate, still got a bit to do, i discovered yesterday that to mount the 1.4m rear awning off the back as planned would require the rooftop basket set back 6" and the side awning to be pushed forward .5m to sit flush with the end of the basket or the rear awning would be off centre and my OCD wouldnt accept that. The problem was, with the basket put back and awning put forward it looked rediculous and had quite a bit of unsupported overhang at the ftont, so i pulled the 2.5m awning off and replaced it with a BCF XTM 2m item reducing the overhang and grabbed a 1.4m of the same brand for the rear, all fits much better now.

Im thinking i might change the cross bars too as they make it all sit really high, should have gone with the low profile style to begin with.
Might start a project thread in the non Ford section.

Last edited by BENT_8; 21-10-2020 at 08:51 PM.
Old 21-10-2020, 10:19 PM   #807
Jack91
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Came up with a ripper idea (maybe) the other day.
So ive had a swag for ages, too uncomfortable.
Tried mattress topper, still sucked.
Blow up mattress, too big and weird.
Went to an innerspring full mattress in the landcruiser. Was great but lose the whole interior of the car. Also gets dirty during 4x4.

So ive accepted the swag is the only way for me. I dont want a stretcher because they look cheap, crappy and hard to store. Also uneven ground will make it rock.

Soooo because ive learnt the hard way to always put a tarp down under the swag, instead of that i want to run a dense, folding gym mat.
Should serve same purpose as tarp, and also be that mattress i want without filling the inside of the swag.
Theyre $300 the one im looking at on ebay. Has anyone done this and did it work?
I have never seen or heard of it before
Jack91 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-10-2020, 10:26 PM   #808
Beastie
The Terrain Tamer
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Catering services for a bunch of layabouts and for being an all-round good guy whose sense of community goes above and beyond. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack91 View Post
Came up with a ripper idea (maybe) the other day.
So ive had a swag for ages, too uncomfortable.
Tried mattress topper, still sucked.
Blow up mattress, too big and weird.
Went to an innerspring full mattress in the landcruiser. Was great but lose the whole interior of the car. Also gets dirty during 4x4.

So ive accepted the swag is the only way for me. I dont want a stretcher because they look cheap, crappy and hard to store. Also uneven ground will make it rock.

Soooo because ive learnt the hard way to always put a tarp down under the swag, instead of that i want to run a dense, folding gym mat.
Should serve same purpose as tarp, and also be that mattress i want without filling the inside of the swag.
Theyre $300 the one im looking at on ebay. Has anyone done this and did it work?
I have never seen or heard of it before
Have you considered a self inflating mattress?

I bought one a while ago and rolled it out onto a timber frame. They don't look much, but it was quite comfy...

Old 21-10-2020, 10:39 PM   #809
Jack91
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beastie View Post
Have you considered a self inflating mattress?

I bought one a while ago and rolled it out onto a timber frame. They don't look much, but it was quite comfy...

Thanks for that.
Yes i have, but honestly i dont think itll be enough.
Im a terrible sleeper. If its not right i wont sleep a wink.
My main aim was also to get the swag as empty as possible, i broke the bag the 2nd time out, and a mat can easily go on the roof, and it doesnt add any steps to the setup ( as i would put a tarp down anyway).
Jack91 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-10-2020, 10:44 PM   #810
Beastie
The Terrain Tamer
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack91 View Post
Thanks for that.
Yes i have, but honestly i dont think itll be enough.
Im a terrible sleeper. If its not right i wont sleep a wink.
My main aim was also to get the swag as empty as possible, i broke the bag the 2nd time out, and a mat can easily go on the roof, and it doesnt add any steps to the setup ( as i would put a tarp down anyway).
Ok - mattress is no help...

Have you tried lots of beer...