Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 24-07-2011, 01:04 AM   #1
Day-mow
rexnet

Default new seats.

will FG seats fit into an AU.

been trolling FTG's section and some FPV seats would be pretty hectik for front seats.

Remember it is the internet,So beware of trolls, If you argue with trolls the kids will laugh at you

Follow me on twitter @ Day_mow
Day-mow is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-07-2011, 01:13 AM   #2
au11futura
ROCKING THE EL FUTURA

Default Re: new seats.

mabe, you'll have to mod the rails i reckon....

My build that was http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11267696

ENVI BA XR6T
BUILD THREAD..http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11345961 TAKEN BY THE EX
NOW A EL FUTURA

EB MONTY NOW IN THE SHED
BACK IN THE E-SERIES

THREAD DIGGEr
au11futura is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-07-2011, 01:15 AM   #3
Day-mow
rexnet

lame. i guess this will never happen anyway. but its a nice pipeline dream

Remember it is the internet,So beware of trolls, If you argue with trolls the kids will laugh at you

Old 24-07-2011, 02:41 AM   #4
FGII-XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

they are not even close it is a major job requiring and engineers certificate to prevent voiding all your insurance including CTP.

"It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."

Start a new career as a bus driver

Rides:
FG2 XR6 stock at this stage but a very nice ride

xc 4 DOOR X CHASER 5.8 UNDER RESTO
FGII-XR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-07-2011, 03:37 AM   #5
XR037
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Yeh, the rails on the AU will need to be modified to fit those seats. Maybe just get a set of custom leather if your looking for something different?
XR037 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-07-2011, 08:33 AM   #6
Day-mow
rexnet

Ehh. I'll just wait till I get another wrx. The feeling of being hugged all the time is great for the hills

Old 24-07-2011, 10:51 AM   #7
blownv8au
Pro Street Au Ute

the au seat design is crap imo. The seat base sits between the rails not on top like all other falcons. I bought ba gt seats to put in my au ute but now am putting them in my eb as they bolt straight in with a spacer, back seat is different but atleast it will get used.

I ended up putting sports racing seats in the au and its not worth it i reckon. I had to cut everything away til i was left with just the rails then welded two 50mm wide by 4mm thick strips of steel across the seat rails while bolted in with an inch over hang for strength. Which sat flat on the rails and slid perfectly and everything, BUT when i mounted the seats my head rubs the roof and its hard to get in and out as the seat sits much higher.

No other seats will sit lower, ba seats would sit the same height. There's only two ways to go lower. 1 bolt them straight to the floor ie fixed or 2 cut the floor pan and lower it. Imo getting standard seats rebolstered is the only way to go. Good luck to anyone trying though.
blownv8au is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-07-2011, 11:14 AM   #8
FGII-XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by blownv8au
the au seat design is crap imo.
that explains why the seat bases always crack on BAs that do high Ks (like taxis or reps cars) but the AU seats just keep going . Yep sounds like they made a mistake with the AU seat, they make less money from replacement parts so fors redesigned them to be less reliable
I cringe when ever I read "I just cet and welded the rails. seats and their rails are tested to a high standard because of the hard work they endure . wher people just weld them up give them a quick shake and say she'll be right. modifying seats is illegal and dangerous. you need them certifyed by an engineer for a good reason. Imagine you're going through a twisty road quickly, the sidewards force causes the seat to break loose and suddenly you're floating all over the place trying to get through a hairpin with a 200M drop on one side not a good or safe thing

"It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."

Rides:

Last edited by FGII-XR6; 24-07-2011 at 11:20 AM.
Old 24-07-2011, 02:02 PM   #9
Day-mow
rexnet

Quote:
Originally Posted by au3xr6
that explains why the seat bases always crack on BAs that do high Ks (like taxis or reps cars) but the AU seats just keep going . Yep sounds like they made a mistake with the AU seat, they make less money from replacement parts so fors redesigned them to be less reliable
I cringe when ever I read "I just cet and welded the rails. seats and their rails are tested to a high standard because of the hard work they endure . wher people just weld them up give them a quick shake and say she'll be right. modifying seats is illegal and dangerous. you need them certifyed by an engineer for a good reason. Imagine you're going through a twisty road quickly, the sidewards force causes the seat to break loose and suddenly you're floating all over the place trying to get through a hairpin with a 200M drop on one side not a good or safe thing

As far as I've heard in the way of putting a more sports supportive seat AU's are lame.

Wrx FTW

Old 24-07-2011, 03:15 PM   #10
blownv8au
Pro Street Au Ute

Quote:
Yep good one champ, i don't really care what they do or how long they last. I'm talking from a point of interchanging seats from other ford makes. I own an au and love the bloody thing mate it wasn't attack on au's. And it was my opinion and i'm bloody well entitled to it.
blownv8au is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-07-2011, 07:17 PM   #11
FGII-XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

True you are entitled to your opinion no matter how poorly it is thought out.
The AU seat design has been proven to be reliable compared to later models which break when made to do any serious work, having seen the serious seat breakages in B series taxis I would never put one of these poorly designed ( some might even say dangerous) seats in my car even if they bolted straight in.
As far as interchanging is concerned no seats are designed with this specifically in mind, you can't put B series seats in an XY either are they poorly designed too? Designs change and evolve sometimes better sometimes worse, saying the AU seat design is poor because you can't bolt B series seats in is like saying an E series is badly designed because an AU or B series motor won't bolt straight in without modification
Quote:
Originally Posted by blownv8au
Yep good one champ, i don't really care what they do or how long they last. I'm talking from a point of interchanging seats from other ford makes. I own an au and love the bloody thing mate it wasn't attack on au's. And it was my opinion and i'm bloody well entitled to it.

Rides:

Old 24-07-2011, 07:26 PM   #12
Uncle_Ken
Next upgraded Mk1 Leopard
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always putting some imput into the forums to help or make it a bit easier for others Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Has anyone found a standard car seat (from any make, even..Holden..) that fits straight into an AU? Just wondering.

UK
How 2's: Change rear view mirror, Install backfire valve, Change foam front seats, Install auto transmission cooler, Replace Trans Shift Globe, Remove front door Trim, Paint AU headlights, install door spears, Premium Rear Parcel Shelf, go here...
Uncle_Ken is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-07-2011, 07:48 PM   #13
cartaa100
FG POWER

hey buddy

my mate used to have an au ute and he put xr b series seats on im pretty sure they went straight on :P

http://fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11332753  
cartaa100 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-07-2011, 11:11 PM   #14
Day-mow
rexnet

Quote:
True you are entitled to your opinion no matter how poorly it is thought out.
The AU seat design has been proven to be reliable compared to later models which break when made to do any serious work, having seen the serious seat breakages in B series taxis I would never put one of these poorly designed ( some might even say dangerous) seats in my car even if they bolted straight in.
As far as interchanging is concerned no seats are designed with this specifically in mind, you can't put B series seats in an XY either are they poorly designed too? Designs change and evolve sometimes better sometimes worse, saying the AU seat design is poor because you can't bolt B series seats in is like saying an E series is badly designed because an AU or B series motor won't bolt straight in without modification
Mate can I just say you've really missed the point I'm saying here. Au seats are ok. But they're not a supportive seat. The fg FPV seats look a bit more supportive and kinda cool. Hense why i asked the question.

Old 24-07-2011, 11:13 PM   #15
Day-mow
rexnet

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartaa100
hey buddy

my mate used to have an au ute and he put xr b series seats on im pretty sure they went straight on :P
Was it red and on here? Think I've seen it posted. For memory he still had problems putting them in and he said they sit higher.
If it's the one I'm thinking about

Old 25-07-2011, 11:04 AM   #16
FGII-XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Day-mow
Mate can I just say you've really missed the point I'm saying here. Au seats are ok. But they're not a supportive seat. The fg FPV seats look a bit more supportive and kinda cool. Hense why i asked the question.
fair enough what you'd be better off doing is finding a good trimmer who can actually use new foam etc to reshape the existing seat this way you get your extra support and remain legal without needing an engineers certificate or voiding your insurance

Rides:

Old 25-07-2011, 11:37 AM   #17
Day-mow
rexnet

Quote:
fair enough what you'd be better off doing is finding a good trimmer who can actually use new foam etc to reshape the existing seat this way you get your extra support and remain legal without needing an engineers certificate or voiding your insurance

Or buy a wrx