Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 24-07-2011, 10:08 PM   #1
Sterling
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default DTE flashing in dash?

every now and then, at random times, DTE or DET or something along those lines pops up flashing in the little screen in the dash cluster...

comes with a beeping sound

everything seems ok but what does it mean??

anybody now??

2000 model au

cheers

Sterling is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-07-2011, 10:11 PM   #2
FGII-XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: DTE flashing in dash?

at 80 ks 40ks and 20Ks distance to empty (DTE) flashes and beeps

"It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."

Start a new career as a bus driver

Rides:
FG2 XR6 stock at this stage but a very nice ride

xc 4 DOOR X CHASER 5.8 UNDER RESTO
FGII-XR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-07-2011, 10:41 PM   #3
Day-mow
rexnet

put more fuel in your car

Remember it is the internet,So beware of trolls, If you argue with trolls the kids will laugh at you

Follow me on twitter @ Day_mow
Day-mow is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-07-2011, 11:06 PM   #4
Sterling
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

weird.. might be faulty then.. still got half a tank...??? ill fill her up and see if it still goes off
Old 24-07-2011, 11:19 PM   #5
Day-mow
rexnet

fuel depending 400 K from a tank.
68 Lt from empty.

Remember it is the internet,So beware of trolls, If you argue with trolls the kids will laugh at you

Old 25-07-2011, 11:40 AM   #6
FTe342
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

The warning can also be dependant on how the car has recently been driven. e.g. if you move it around constantly starting it on/off OR drive it like you stole it the computer calculates that if this level of fuel usage keeps up I will run out fuel in 80klms and so on ..... even if the car has enough fuel (say, 1/4 tank or more) to do 80klms at hwy cruising
T3 TL50 #147 Silhouette Auto ESS - Brembos - Last of 3 in T3 spec, only AUIII TL50 ever built -14.2 sec @ 98mph bog stock. Only customer ordered T3 TL50 built, only LWB sedan plated AUIII and the last performance enhanced LWB sedan built by Ford Aust.

AUII Fairlane Ghia Sportsman 5.0L in Blue Pearl

OWN THE ROAD
FTe342 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-07-2011, 11:42 AM   #7
b2tf
not here much anymore

Quote:
Originally Posted by FTe342
The warning can also be dependant on how the car has recently been driven. e.g. if you move it around constantly starting it on/off OR drive it like you stole it the computer calculates that if this level of fuel usage keeps up I will run out fuel in 80klms and so on ..... even if the car has enough fuel (say, 1/4 tank or more) to do 80klms at hwy cruising
Very true. Give the car a hard time and it will throw it right out.

I remember my old XR8 after I picked it up from Herrods when it was tuned, it had 3/4 of a tank left but the DTE said 48km.
Old 25-07-2011, 12:56 PM   #8
Day-mow
rexnet

Quote:
Originally Posted by b2tf
Very true. Give the car a hard time and it will throw it right out.

I remember my old XR8 after I picked it up from Herrods when it was tuned, it had 3/4 of a tank left but the DTE said 48km.
Wow That makes hills drives for me seem quite economical.

Old 25-07-2011, 02:02 PM   #9
Swordsman88
Getting it done.....

The advise on here so far seems correct.

If i can hijack the thread a bit though I am wondering if anyone on here knows what is happening to my dad's AU2 SR when it comes to DTE. After having alot of cluster problems (suspected due to a voltage spike in the electrical system linked to the spark plug leads) and then having to replace a fuel sender (believe to be unrelated) all was going good. But then 6 months after the fix the DTE on the new cluster went very very wierd. Despite all other features on the cluster working fine the dte figure just keeps on going up and up. I mean it hit 5000+km and was still rising when i instructed him to swap over to the odometer (press down button on cluster).

He has disconected the battery for a few hours and that did not fix it. Any ideas guys?

Now with:
Pacemaker 4499s
Lukey Catback Exhaust
Chrome BA XR-style tip
Airdam Mounted CAI with modified (bellmouth) airbox
Trip Computer install
KYB shocks
Bridgestone Adrenalin tyres

Coming Soon:
Exhaust Overhaul.....
Swordsman88 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-07-2011, 02:15 PM   #10
b2tf
not here much anymore

Cant help you to fix it but do you mind lending me that cluster for a bit, that would make me feel much better when putting the boot in.
Old 25-07-2011, 02:38 PM   #11
Swordsman88
Getting it done.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by b2tf
Cant help you to fix it but do you mind lending me that cluster for a bit, that would make me feel much better when putting the boot in.
Yeah it is pretty funny and i'd happilly do so if you provided me free of charge with a cluster that atcually worked LOL.... The sense of humour for it has gone a bit due to the sheer frustration of the repeated issues that car has had with clusters etc. A shame too since the rest of the car runs really well in all other respects....

Now with:
Pacemaker 4499s
Lukey Catback Exhaust
Chrome BA XR-style tip
Trip Computer install
KYB shocks

Coming Soon:
Exhaust Overhaul.....
Old 25-07-2011, 02:43 PM   #12
b2tf
not here much anymore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swordsman88
Yeah it is pretty funny and i'd happilly do so if you provided me free of charge with a cluster that atcually worked LOL.... The sense of humour for it has gone a bit due to the sheer frustration of the repeated issues that car has had with clusters etc. A shame too since the rest of the car runs really well in all other respects....
Thats fair enough. The only thing that comes to mind is a dodgy/incorrect sender.
Old 29-07-2011, 09:30 AM   #13
Swordsman88
Getting it done.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swordsman88
The advise on here so far seems correct.

If i can hijack the thread a bit though I am wondering if anyone on here knows what is happening to my dad's AU2 SR when it comes to DTE. After having alot of cluster problems (suspected due to a voltage spike in the electrical system linked to the spark plug leads) and then having to replace a fuel sender (believe to be unrelated) all was going good. But then 6 months after the fix the DTE on the new cluster went very very wierd. Despite all other features on the cluster working fine the dte figure just keeps on going up and up. I mean it hit 5000+km and was still rising when i instructed him to swap over to the odometer (press down button on cluster).

He has disconected the battery for a few hours and that did not fix it. Any ideas guys?
Just an update. This problem has now been fixed. Cycled the DTE/Odo button and when it was put back into DTE mode it was rectified. Not sure on the cause but most likely the cluster was at fault not the atcual fuel data. May be useful if someone gets the same problem...just hold the odo button (the prong thinge on the cluster) down for 5 second to put it in odo mode, then hold down again for 5 seconds for dte again...

Now with:
Pacemaker 4499s
Lukey Catback Exhaust
Chrome BA XR-style tip
Trip Computer install
KYB shocks

Coming Soon:
Exhaust Overhaul.....
Old 29-07-2011, 10:09 AM   #14
Sterling
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i might as well update too, i forgot to reply again after my last,

turns out im an idiot, the fuel was low haha.... the reason it didnt make sense to me at first was the post saying "its varies on the way you drive,too"

because i was having fun, and the DTE would come on, then back to normal driving and it would go away...

plus ive been putting in full tank of LPG and $10/$15/$20 of petrol like 2 or 3 times in a row now, so petrol has never had too much in tank. hence why i got confused.

thanks for the replies anyway guys, and glad to hear u got it sorted swordsman88