Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 18-07-2011, 07:24 PM   #1
AGE1%
Starter Motor

Default Au2 2003 tickford xr8 200kw

I just bought new topgun standard leads and platnium sparkies(plugs) from autobarn, and installed and they seem ok. Before that on the same day i went to a recommended shop and asked for good oil and filter. The guy gave me 20/60 oil and a cheap z9 filter (as i found out after i fckd er a bit! coopers make good filters aye !). The recommended shop didn't have the leads and plugs thank god. Anyway the car seems pretty good except it seems to labour and flatten out in certain rev ranges. I have used the wrong oil have't i? it seems too thick? I am humbley asking what is the best oil to use in my pride and joy? I gave her 5.5 ltrs as the manual said but it seems too much on the dipstick. Any feedback would be muchly appreciated... cheers... Age...

AGE1% is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-07-2011, 05:03 PM   #2
Sep 97 EL XR8
Miami power

Default Re: Au2 2003 tickford xr8 200kw

i use 10w/40 in my EL xr8, i think i put about 5 litres in.
Sep 97 EL XR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-07-2011, 05:13 PM   #3
RAPID_BA
Banned

Sounds a bit off oil shouldn't make it behave strangely in certain parts of rev range?

Something else I reckon
RAPID_BA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-07-2011, 06:04 PM   #4
Cúl-Báire

Coils, plugs or leads will be your problem IMO.
Cúl-Báire is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-07-2011, 06:16 PM   #5
FGII-XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

top gun leads are your problem had nothing but trouble with my last set went back to standard ford ones problem solved

"It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."

Start a new career as a bus driver

Rides:
FG2 XR6 stock at this stage but a very nice ride

xc 4 DOOR X CHASER 5.8 UNDER RESTO
FGII-XR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-07-2011, 06:31 PM   #6
You Yangs
Dunnydore Destroyer

I once used a 25W70 oil over a summer period a few years ago, fuel economy rose a little but she ran fine so I don't think the oil is your problem mate.
Old 19-07-2011, 06:58 PM   #7
MattSAU2XR8

As regards leads:
- You can get genuine Ford ones with the nice heat shields etc. on ebay for about $180 delivered.
- Any chance you can test the resistance of your old ones with a multimeter to see if they are still OK? I know they MIGHT test OK and still not be perfect on the car, but a more likely scenario is that a dud lead will just test as not OK. Then you can just replace that one lead.
- For that matter you could also test the top gun leads for resistance and if one is a dud then just get that one replaced rather than getting a whole new box of potentially dodgy top gun leads :-)
MattSAU2XR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post