Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 12-02-2013, 12:29 AM   #31
XB GS 351 Coupe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Shopper docket fuel trap

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_nofx View Post
What part of that sentence makes no sense?

When the $0.02 saving per litre for $2 spent in store was in play it meant you could buy a $2 carton of milk, and with 70L of fuel, you end up only paying 60c for that carton. (With 100L that carton was free)

Of course that no longer applies, so just pay for your fuel and leave.
Spot on, when my local Servo had the special deal on buying two cans of Mothers energy drink for $4.50 giving you extra 2 cents on top of your 2 cents discount for purchasing in store, I used to fill up and I would walk out paying less over all for my fuel when I took two cans of Mothers out of the fridge than if I had left them there

They stopped that now, was good while it lasted I still have about 4 free cans of mothers sitting in the fridge

The Week End Bruiser : FPV BF GT 40th Anniversary, 6 Speed Manual, 6/4 Brembo and lots of Herrod goodies

Project 1 : '75 XB GS 351 Ute, Toploader, 9" with 3.5's

Project 2 : '74 XB GS Big Block Coupe, Toploader, 9" with 4.11's

In Storage : '74 XB GS 351 Fairmont Sedan

XB Falcon Owners Group

Mike's Man Cave

XB GS 351 Coupe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 12-02-2013, 05:08 AM   #32
Linkachu
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I shop at my local BP, independently owned so I'd rather he get my business because I like the people there and well BP Ultimate...
Linkachu is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-02-2013, 08:23 AM   #33
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i have never used a shopper docket..
pottery beige is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
7 users like this post:
Old 12-02-2013, 09:06 AM   #34
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadMax View Post
The whole docket system is a scam. The ACCC should grow some big, fat hairy balls and start breaking down this duopoly!
i don't get all these comments. there are many along the same lines but i just picked this one to make the point.

how is it a scam? i always hear people say that the saving you make at the bowser you already spent by shopping in their stores!! how is this so??

do you guys even do the shopping??

where i live, woolies and coles are the cheapest option for shopping. of course there are the odd items that you may find cheaper at IGA or foodland etc, but on the whole, the 2 big players are the cheapest place to buy your food.

for what its worth, i use bp ultimate but i still shop at woolies or coles.

perhaps someone can document their shopping experience at a shop other than the 2 evil ones and prove that its so much cheaper.

also, there are no aldi's in adelaide.

the people that are being screwed over by these 2 businesses are the suppliers. not the customers.
prydey is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-02-2013, 09:58 AM   #35
Sox
RIP...

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: As recommended by Ropcher. Personifies the spirit of AFF. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by prydey View Post
i don't get all these comments. there are many along the same lines but i just picked this one to make the point.

how is it a scam? i always hear people say that the saving you make at the bowser you already spent by shopping in their stores!! how is this so??

do you guys even do the shopping??

where i live, woolies and coles are the cheapest option for shopping. of course there are the odd items that you may find cheaper at IGA or foodland etc, but on the whole, the 2 big players are the cheapest place to buy your food.

for what its worth, i use bp ultimate but i still shop at woolies or coles.

perhaps someone can document their shopping experience at a shop other than the 2 evil ones and prove that its so much cheaper.

also, there are no aldi's in adelaide.

the people that are being screwed over by these 2 businesses are the suppliers. not the customers.
Bang on.

FWIW, I have done the comparison between Coles, Woolworths and Aldi.
Like for like, they were competitive with each other. Only when comparing name brand were large differences apparent.

Anyway, I've been using the Coles for years, and always use the shopper dockets, getting anywhere from 4c off to 10c off.

I've also never had to queue up.
Old 12-02-2013, 10:36 AM   #36
cobramania
FPV BFII GT Cobra No.249

To put it simply, there's no such thing as a free lunch or nothings for free. Someone has to pay for it. Those who think there is, are naive at the very least.

Coles, Woolies, Shell & Caltex are not there to make a loss on a transaction. With their large turnover, they'd go out of business very quickly if they did so. They're not there to break even, it's their duty to their shareholders to make a profit.

This could be achieved a few ways:
Prices in store are more than you should be paying (even if they are cheap), to cover the losses on the petrol. You're either paying too much for the product, or the suppliers are taking a hit. Therefore reduced supply costs, they pocket the savings, you're paying too much for the product.
Petrol prices are increased by 4-8cpl before the discount to effectively negate the discount loss.
Petrol is increased by up-to 4cpl & those who don't use coupons are paying for (subsidising), the loss on the petrol that those using coupons take.

Either way prices somewhere are artificially increased, & everybody loses.
More than likely, the majority of petrol sales would be full paying, not using coupons. The likelihood of people paying with a coupon every single transaction they make, would be minimal. So somewhere along the line, at some time, every single person, is going to be hit/disadvantaged by artificially higher than what they should be prices, so the companies can turn a big profit for their shareholders.

The only way to really have any chance of winning against them, is to shop & only buy things "on special", use coupons for your petrol & be a shareholder of the company, getting dividend payments from the profits.

Last edited by cobramania; 12-02-2013 at 10:49 AM.
cobramania is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-02-2013, 10:50 AM   #37
302 XC
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by XB GS 351 Coupe View Post
^^^^^ This, I have never lined up for my discount fuel and I fill up every week, not sure where you people live to line up for an hour, never heard of such a thing or experienced it, I just drive up to the bowser and get out fill up and drive away, it's been that easy been doing it like that for nearly 30 years at least once per week.

This thread must be full of people with plenty of cash when a $400-600 saving per year is not worth handing over a voucher for, thats like three weeks worth of shopping

Happy to post up my account details, and all you guys who don't worry about $600, and consider it a waste of time please feel free to deposit it into my account as I will make good use of it.
For those whom work the 9-5 , or 7-3 youll miss most peak line ups at the docket places that usually are dole/pension days and around lunch time,
I venture all over the place at odd days and times, i steer well clear of docket servos these days, sometimes the line up is out the roadway
Ive seen other servos compete on these days and offer it a few cents cheaper and the line up is the same
Its all good with a pen and paper and say "wow look what i save ", but how many put that $8,$10 away ......???,none
IF you deduct whatever you spend to get your saving and your time to wait, now not every docket place is a pull up and fill up, every time,deduct your time lining up,and your $600 is shot
For me lining up to save $8 a tank is stoopid,then you have to deal with all the wombats who want a drink,or a feed,or cant make their mind up,"Nah not them smokes, the other ones"yep time is money and money is time
Get your $600 a year ,then deduct other costs, a purchase you need,time to waste, buying from a dedicated store for the docket,tell me whats left
302 XC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-02-2013, 11:32 AM   #38
new2ford
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by prydey View Post
where i live, woolies and coles are the cheapest option for shopping.
Then you're unlucky you don't have Aldi, you're paying the premium prices of a duopoly. There have been plenty of surveys over the years by ACA that show Coles/Woolworths have generally been the more expensive.

Franklins (which you probably also didn't have there) preferred to pass the benefits on in direct savings on prices. One of their owners once said to me that Australians were emotional to the point of irrationality about petrol prices and went for these fuel dockets even at the cost of paying more for their groceries.

But Franklins has gone and the scene has changed but not got cheaper. This is a pretty good summary of reality in Australia:
Quote:
Originally Posted by cobramania View Post
To put it simply, there's no such thing as a free lunch or nothings for free. Someone has to pay for it. Those who think there is, are naive at the very least......... etc
Anybody who thinks it's tough shopping here, it's nothing compared to the heart attack of coming back from living in central Europe to grocery prices that are 3 or 4 times as high as they are there. For example, my wife last bought her Sensodyne toothpaste in Germany for $3. Last week she went to get a new one in Coles - identical product, same international brand line, same size etc - $9. And that's not matched by parity in disposable incomes. It's just obscene gouging that petrol discounts are designed to disguise to fool the gullible.
new2ford is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-02-2013, 12:16 PM   #39
XB GS 351 Coupe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 302 XC View Post
Its all good with a pen and paper and say "wow look what i save ", but how many put that $8,$10 away ......???,none
For me lining up to save $8 a tank is stoopid,then you have to deal with all the wombats who want a drink,or a feed,or cant make their mind up,"Nah not them smokes, the other ones"yep time is money and money is time
Get your $600 a year ,then deduct other costs, a purchase you need,time to waste, buying from a dedicated store for the docket,tell me whats left
So why do you need to put it away?? $10 is $10 no matter if you put it away or not, well give me the $10, I mean you were not going to put it away were you?? So next time i see you can you give me $50 out of your wallet?? Or were you going to put the $50 away?? Makes no sense does it??

If you save $10 or $5 or what ever it's an additional $5 you have in your pocket, regardless if you plan to put it away or not, remember most people already know what they will earn in the year, and you can only spend that $5 once. So you can either just give it to the servo or you can keep it and spend it on something else, like a coffee, or a burger or what ever.

Comments from people here make no sense, unless you live in a vacuum, where you grow your own food, kill your own animals and make your own petrol, you are going to have to shop anyway, so might as well take advantage of any saving offered, when filling up at my local servo (there are several) the shopper docket one is usually the cheapest, so why would I not use my docket and fill up at the more expensive servo?? Or why would I fill up at the shopper docket one and not claim my discount and pay the extra???

We only have Coles Woolies and IGA, Woolies is the cheapest, and offers the cheapest fuel deals. So why would I spend extra for less and not claim my docket?? That would be throwing money away.

The Week End Bruiser : FPV BF GT 40th Anniversary, 6 Speed Manual, 6/4 Brembo and lots of Herrod goodies

XB Falcon Owners Group

Mike's Man Cave

Old 12-02-2013, 12:22 PM   #40
Sox
RIP...

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: As recommended by Ropcher. Personifies the spirit of AFF. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by new2ford View Post
Then you're unlucky you don't have Aldi, you're paying the premium prices of a duopoly. There have been plenty of surveys over the years by ACA that show Coles/Woolworths have generally been the more expensive.
Actually the tests conducted by ACA have always been flawed, using brand names by one, and not the other.

As I mentioned above, I've done these tests myself, a few times, using like for like product, and the prices are line ball.

It's a myth that Aldi are cheaper than either Coles and Woolworths.
All 3 have spies on the loose constantly to keep prices at parity.

Obviously if you only use name brands, all bets are off.

Last edited by Sox; 12-02-2013 at 12:32 PM.
Sox is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-02-2013, 12:31 PM   #41
Sox
RIP...

Quote:
To put it simply, there's no such thing as a free lunch or nothings for free. Someone has to pay for it. Those who think there is, are naive at the very least.
Not at all, it's called shopping smart.
Quote:
This could be achieved a few ways:
Prices in store are more than you should be paying (even if they are cheap), to cover the losses on the petrol. You're either paying too much for the product, or the suppliers are taking a hit. Therefore reduced supply costs, they pocket the savings, you're paying too much for the product.
Sure, but this will most likely be on items where margins are able to be stretched easily and go unnoticed.
Quote:
Petrol prices are increased by 4-8cpl before the discount to effectively negate the discount loss.
Petrol is increased by up-to 4cpl & those who don't use coupons are paying for (subsidising), the loss on the petrol that those using coupons take.
This is actually less likely and not common.
They still need to remain competitive without coupons.
Quote:
Either way prices somewhere are artificially increased, & everybody loses.
Eh? The only people who are disadvantaged are the ones who won't use the coupons. And that's their choice.
Quote:
More than likely, the majority of petrol sales would be full paying, not using coupons. The likelihood of people paying with a coupon every single transaction they make, would be minimal.
I do, 90% of the time.
Quote:
So somewhere along the line, at some time, every single person, is going to be hit/disadvantaged by artificially higher than what they should be prices, so the companies can turn a big profit for their shareholders.
Not really, for the reason I gave above. Competition.
Quote:
The only way to really have any chance of winning against them, is to shop & only buy things "on special", use coupons for your petrol & be a shareholder of the company, getting dividend payments from the profits.
I always shop on special, and always use the ticket. Don't have shares though, not needed.
Old 12-02-2013, 12:34 PM   #42
efirestorer

INTERESTING responses to my OP. I am sure that if Juliar asked us all to pay an extra $12. PW in tax , there would be uproar. I am quite happy to shop intelligently- buying specials , particular brands etc. - to save $600 per year with the dockets. For Kryton's benefit , I did not spend $2. just to get a discount , I bought a $4. magazine which I buy every week for my wife and which could have been bought at a Newsagent for $4. and thus saved a separate trip to the newsagent.
My real beef seems to have been mostly overlooked , that is - the removal of the discount without notice. This is not something that the ACCC can or should do anything about , but consumers can vote with their feet and buy petrol/groceries from people who are upfront about their "special " offers.
efirestorer is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-02-2013, 12:39 PM   #43
new2ford
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sox View Post
As I mentioned above, I've done these tests myself, a few times, using like for like product, and the prices a line ball.

It's a myth that Aldi are cheaper than either Coles and Woolworths.
All 3 have spies on the loose constantly to keep prices at parity.
Don't agree with that on my own experience. Also the generics at Aldi (they're all generics) and the ones they had at Franklins were good quality. At Coles/Woolworths you have to use name brands to get reasonable quality (well, for Australia - the quality of the food products here is poor compared to what's available in European supermarkets).

I forgot to mention, in relation to that Sensodyne toothpaste, the one sold in Germany is made in Germany, the one sold here is made in Thailand (so much for Aussie jobs!) - so presumably there's a fantastic Asian labour-cost saving factor there that should benefit consumers ... er, I mean Coles shareholders.

Under the same logic, Ford should be selling the Thai-manufactured Focus here for 3 x times the price the German-made Focus is selling for in Germany.
Old 12-02-2013, 01:02 PM   #44
Sox
RIP...

Quote:
Don't agree with that on my own experience.
Try it again, be totally unbiased and go only for generics, anything else is apples VS oranges.
Quote:
Also the generics at Aldi (they're all generics) and the ones they had at Franklins were good quality. At Coles/Woolworths you have to use name brands to get reasonable quality.
That's incredibly subjective and opens another can of worms.
Perceived quality is different for everyone.
Old 12-02-2013, 01:20 PM   #45
xisled
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by efirestorer View Post
INTERESTING responses to my OP. I am sure that if Juliar asked us all to pay an extra $12. PW in tax , there would be uproar. I am quite happy to shop intelligently- buying specials , particular brands etc. - to save $600 per year with the dockets. For Kryton's benefit , I did not spend $2. just to get a discount , I bought a $4. magazine which I buy every week for my wife and which could have been bought at a Newsagent for $4. and thus saved a separate trip to the newsagent.
My real beef seems to have been mostly overlooked , that is - the removal of the discount without notice. This is not something that the ACCC can or should do anything about , but consumers can vote with their feet and buy petrol/groceries from people who are upfront about their "special " offers.
They are not taken away suddenly. When a company does a promotion such as this, they need to have terms and conditions, In these terms and conditions you will find an expiry date.

Terms and conditions can be found on the website.

Here is 1 promotion for example, it has terms and conditions and a end date.

http://www.coles.com.au/Stores-Servi...uel-Offer.aspx

IMO, I hate those dockets, never use them and never will. I think they are a big scam.

When I buy fuel, BP 98 for the GT, and 91 for the VX Commo, I do not even bother looking at prices. I know I need fuel and to me $600 a year is not much money, Same with shopping, I will get what I need and pay and leave.

My time is worth more than what the discounts could give me. I could spend an extra hour trying to save 10 dollars, but when an hour is worth 10 times that, it is worth me not bothering.
xisled is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-02-2013, 01:31 PM   #46
prayamanti
Starter Motor

i always fill up at BP i think its always cheaper...i would never go to a 711 or any where
prayamanti is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-02-2013, 01:42 PM   #47
Ducati888
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Landau Stable View Post
The part that i love so much is watching people line up in massive queues to get their 4c a litre discount. Often in little bubble cars where it has a max capacity of 50 litres. Half hour later when i finish shopping, the have just finished filling up to save their 2 bucks. Provided they were bone dry of course. If they are willing to wait and idle their car for half an hour to save under 2 bucks, it makes you wonder if they'd be happy working for 4 bucks an hour doesn't it?
Totally agree. They are too thick to realise that an extra half hour at home with the kids is worth more than a saving of $2.

My time is worth way more than that. Life's too short for queuing.
Old 12-02-2013, 02:03 PM   #48
mike_nofx
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

So in these town where you apparently line up for half an hour for Coles or woollies fuel, is the BP across the road empty and you can just drive right up to a bowser?

Now if this seriously happens, yeh I wouldn't bother with a docket either. Since it doesn't actually happen in my experience, even on pension payday in Sydney, I call BS.

I challenge anyone to prove that ANY servo anywhere has a half hour line up for discount fuel, while a non discount station within 1 or 2km radius has no line up. (Film with your dash cam driving past Coles fuel, and without the recording stopping continue past the nearest BP)
mike_nofx is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 12-02-2013, 02:27 PM   #49
cobramania
FPV BFII GT Cobra No.249

Sox & other shopper docketholics.
The thing most of you are missing is that, they don't have to be competitive on pricing at the servo or at the supermarket, because they've run the competition out of town, & that was their full intention, & the design of the cheap fuel dockets.

They now use their duopoly & huge size to tell the suppliers what price they will pay, & then charge you what they want you to pay, to give them the highest profit. Wouldn't it be nice to walk into Coles & say I'll give you 15c for that 2 litre bottle of milk, I don't want to pay any more than that, give it to me for what I want to pay, not what you think it's worth.

You also don't seem to realise that the $5-10 per week you are "supposedly" saving on petrol, you've already paid for at the supermarket, & if you all stopped using cheap fuel dockets & encouraging them, you'd realise that the supermarket prices would be cheaper & you may have saved yourself $25 per week.

Yes you might be $10 up on me because I don't use dockets, but you're $15 down because you do & they put up the supermarket prices to cover their losses on petrol.

It's all a sleight of hand illusion. They make money & you lose money, no matter which way you look at it. If they're making money (profit), you're losing it. It's a balance thing, no matter how you add it up or how good you make it sound.

If cheap fuel dockets were that good & everyone used them, they wouldn't profitable, & Coles/Woolies wouldn't have them.
They pray on the fact, they can up the grocery prices, making a profit out of everyone, then make a double profit out of those who don't use cheap fuel dockets, but still don't make a loss out of those who do use them but think they are saving money, but really aren't because you're still spending your money with them.
You go to Shell/Caltex & they might lose $10 on your sale of petrol. If they had cheaper supermarket prices without cheap petrol dockets, they'd lose that profit margin there, then if you went to BP or another independent, they'd lose possible $80-100 off a sale to you.

For them it's win win, for you it's lose lose, they wouldn't do it if it wasn't worth their while, or if the situation reversed to where you won.

Really can't understand how some of you can't see that. They're not doing it out of the goodness of their heart to save you a few bucks, they're doing it so they don't lose a larger amount of money through a lost sale to you, & to make them bigger profits.
cobramania is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post:
Old 12-02-2013, 02:38 PM   #50
mike_nofx
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I read in the paper that of all the Coles dockets issued it was something like only 40% (from memory) are actually claimed and at woollies it was 60% claimed, higher because of the everyday rewards swipe card was easier to use than carrying Coles dockets.

Apparently there was also talk of ALDI opening a chain of servos. That would be interesting.
mike_nofx is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-02-2013, 03:11 PM   #51
XB GS 351 Coupe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
The thing most of you are missing is that, they don't have to be competitive on pricing at the servo or at the supermarket, because they've run the competition out of town, & that was their full intention, & the design of the cheap fuel dockets.

They now use their duopoly & huge size to tell the suppliers what price they will pay, & then charge you what they want you to pay, to give them the highest profit. Wouldn't it be nice to walk into Coles & say I'll give you 15c for that 2 litre bottle of milk, I don't want to pay any more than that, give it to me for what I want to pay, not what you think it's worth.

You also don't seem to realise that the $5-10 per week you are "supposedly" saving on petrol, you've already paid for at the supermarket, & if you all stopped using cheap fuel dockets & encouraging them, you'd realise that the supermarket prices would be cheaper & you may have saved yourself $25 per week.

Yes you might be $10 up on me because I don't use dockets, but you're $15 down because you do & they put up the supermarket prices to cover their losses on petrol.

It's all a sleight of hand illusion. They make money & you lose money, no matter which way you look at it. If they're making money (profit), you're losing it. It's a balance thing, no matter how you add it up or how good you make it sound.

If cheap fuel dockets were that good & everyone used them, they wouldn't profitable, & Coles/Woolies wouldn't have them.
They pray on the fact, they can up the grocery prices, making a profit out of everyone, then make a double profit out of those who don't use cheap fuel dockets, but still don't make a loss out of those who do use them but think they are saving money, but really aren't because you're still spending your money with them.
You go to Shell/Caltex & they might lose $10 on your sale of petrol. If they had cheaper supermarket prices without cheap petrol dockets, they'd lose that profit margin there, then if you went to BP or another independent, they'd lose possible $80-100 off a sale to you.

For them it's win win, for you it's lose lose, they wouldn't do it if it wasn't worth their while, or if the situation reversed to where you won.

Really can't understand how some of you can't see that. They're not doing it out of the goodness of their heart to save you a few bucks, they're doing it so they don't lose a larger amount of money through a lost sale to you, & to make them bigger profits.
WOW you must be a genius, Woolies and Coles are run for profit??? who would have thought

Of course they are run for profit it is a business.

But do you understand by not using the dockets YOU PERSONALLY are out of pocket anywhere from $400-1000 per year??? As i bet you sill buy your groceries from a supermarket.

I have asked this question several times now and have received no answer:
DO YOU GROW YOUR OWN VEGGIES AND KILL YOUR OWN ANIMALS TO EAT AND DO YOU MAKE YOUR OWN FUEL????? I would say NO.

So you still go to a supermarket, you still pay the premium, you still put fuel in your car, plus you hand the evil money making cooperation an additional $400-1000 per week because you won't show them your docket that is most likely sitting in your wallet anyway??? You people must really have more cash than what to do with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xisled View Post
IMO, I hate those dockets, never use them and never will. I think they are a big scam.

When I buy fuel, BP 98 for the GT, and 91 for the VX Commo, I do not even bother looking at prices. I know I need fuel and to me $600 a year is not much money, Same with shopping, I will get what I need and pay and leave.

My time is worth more than what the discounts could give me. I could spend an extra hour trying to save 10 dollars, but when an hour is worth 10 times that, it is worth me not bothering.
Again wow I wish I was in a situation where $600 was nothing So how much do you earn a day??? to make $600 nothing?? Well if you are on $1000 a day, $600 would still be more than half a days pay, so for it to be nothing you must be on a lot more than that....I am impressed.

Again please PM me and I will forward my bank details to you, can you please transfer $300 into my bank account, as $300 would be less than nothing, so shouldn't be a problem for you being a big shot and all that.

And why would you have to wait for an hour to claim your discount?? It takes a second a two to hand the docket over, or do you also have one of those 'unicorn' (unicorn being a fabled creature that is often talked about but never seen) servos that no one apart from people that don't use dockets have ever seen where you need an hour to fuel up???

Please provide some evidence that those servos exist, have never seen one in Sydney in my last 20 plus years of driving.

PS looking forward to receiving my $300 from you or may be I shouldn't hold my breath as I am willing to bet that $300 is still a lot of money to you, but it makes you sound like a big shot to type on a forum that $600 is nothing to you, well lets see, put your money where your mouth is

XB Falcon Owners Group

Mike's Man Cave

Last edited by XB GS 351 Coupe; 12-02-2013 at 03:29 PM.
Old 12-02-2013, 03:16 PM   #52
Sox
RIP...

Quote:
So Coles, Woolworths, and Aldi aren't competition to each other?
The independents who were run our of town, as you put it, were never in the race.
Quote:
They now use their duopoly & huge size to tell the suppliers what price they will pay, & then charge you what they want you to pay, to give them the highest profit.
And? What does this have to do with shopper dockets?
Quote:
Wouldn't it be nice to walk into Coles & say I'll give you 15c for that 2 litre bottle of milk, I don't want to pay any more than that, give it to me for what I want to pay, not what you think it's worth.
What's your point here? This isn't relevant to shopper dockets.
Quote:
You also don't seem to realise that the $5-10 per week you are "supposedly" saving on petrol,
Not supposedly - am.
Quote:
you've already paid for at the supermarket,
As everyone else has, even those silly enough to not use the shopper dockets.
Quote:
& if you all stopped using cheap fuel dockets & encouraging them, you'd realise that the supermarket prices would be cheaper & you may have saved yourself $25 per week.
Not going to happen. Who's the naive one here?
Quote:
How am I down on you? You have to buy groceries too, yet you don't use the dockets.
Doesn't make sense.
Quote:
It's all a sleight of hand illusion. They make money & you lose money, no matter which way you look at it.
How so? You're paying the same bill whether you use the docket or not.
Quote:

They pray on the fact, they can up the grocery prices, making a profit out of everyone, then make a double profit out of those who don't use cheap fuel dockets,
Silly buggers should start using them, eh.
Quote:
but still don't make a loss out of those who do use them but think they are saving money, but really aren't because you're still spending your money with them.
It's not relevant whether the store makes a loss or not, the important thing is what it does for your pocket.
Quote:
That makes no sense at all.
Quote:
How is it lose lose for the purchaser if they use the dockets?
It's only lose lose if you don't use them.
Quote:
It doesn't matter why they do it. What matters is how it actually does affect your pocket.

The bottom line is, you're only behind if you don't use them.
2 users like this post:
Old 12-02-2013, 03:16 PM   #53
Kable72
Parts Interpreter

I don't use the dockets at all. I find it a waste of time. I shop at corner stores and IGAs and get my fuel from BP.
Old 12-02-2013, 03:18 PM   #54
new2ford
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_nofx View Post
Apparently there was also talk of ALDI opening a chain of servos. That would be interesting.
It would be interesting but I don't know that they'd break through many price gates with the oil companies in Australia. By European standards, Aldi is not the best either, there are better in the same market segment there such as Lidl. But with Franklins on the way out, Aldi has it's own mini-monopoly on the "cheap" end as well, which means it's not always as cheap as it could be. All round, except for Aldi, the consumer is pretty-well stuffed in Australia and fuel dockets are little more than an illusion.

Quote:
That's incredibly subjective and opens another can of worms.
Perceived quality is different for everyone.
It's not entirely subjective. Taste is one thing, there's also salt, sugar and fat contents, preservatives, colourings. A lot of the Coles/Woolworths generics are junk so you have no choice but to compare a name brand in Coles/Woolworths with a generic in Aldi/Franklins.

I won't even mention drug companies and the 28 tablet non-subsidised medication I bought in Prague for $20 and found the identical same here from the same manufacturer at an unsubsidised price of $160 !!!!! Gouge kingdom and what's the guard dog ACCC doing about it? Allowing us to become the most expensive country in the world I'd say.
Old 12-02-2013, 03:32 PM   #55
Sox
RIP...

Quote:
It's not entirely subjective. Taste is one thing, there's also salt, sugar and fat contents, preservatives, colourings. A lot of the Coles/Woolworths generics are junk so you have no choice but to compare a name brand in Coles/Woolworths with a generic in Aldi/Franklins.
Interesting you say that, which is why I mentioned the can of worms.

I've actually found most of the generic brands to be higher in quality (IE, less crap) with regards to fat content, preservatives, sugar, etc, than the name brands.

I don't buy anything without reading the ingredients label.
Brand names VS generics is a real eye opener in that regard.

Don't forget, 90% of generic items come from the same factories as the name brands, usually missing some ingredients.

Case in point: Many many years ago I worked for a taco shell factory.
We ran 3 different brands of tacos down the line.
2 of the brands were identically made.
The generic brand was also identical, less the salt.

A taste test to the average consumer, and 9/10 will pick the branded ones, simply because they'd taste the salt and prefer it.

As I said, quality is very subjective indeed.
Old 12-02-2013, 03:34 PM   #56
new2ford
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Interesting you say that, which is why I mentioned the can of worms.
Yeah I'm aware of all that So we'll leave it at you'll do your shopping and I'll do mine!

I draw the line at eating a can of worms though.
Old 12-02-2013, 03:35 PM   #57
XB GS 351 Coupe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kable72 View Post
I don't use the dockets at all. I find it a waste of time. I shop at corner stores and IGAs and get my fuel from BP.
Haha, you obviously have never done a real shop, does your mum do it for you??

Seriously at the corned shop?? So you go into the corner shop and buy $200-300 worth of groceries for your weekly shopping, and then you go to the local BP and get raped again on your petrol.

XB Falcon Owners Group

Mike's Man Cave

Old 12-02-2013, 03:37 PM   #58
Sox
RIP...

Quote:
I draw the line at eating a can of worms though.
Depends whether they're generic or big names!
Old 12-02-2013, 03:49 PM   #59
Maka
Au Falcon = Mr Reliable

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Embodiment of the AFF spirit in his efforts with ACP. 

http://au.pfinance.yahoo.com/compare...h-the-trouble/

http://www.businessday.com.au/small-...116-2csnl.html

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2012-08-1...tition/4196454

http://www.thepunch.com.au/articles/...way-on-petrol/

For those really interested in this debate, have a read of the above. Personally wont use the dockets even if its to the detriment of my back pocket.... *&^% fuel from em anyway lol!

cheers, Maka

Proud owner of a optioned keeper S1 Tickford Falcon AU XR6 VCT - "it's actually a better-balanced car than the XR8, goes almost as hard and uses about two-thirds of the fuel" (Drive.com 2007)
Maka is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-02-2013, 03:57 PM   #60
xisled
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by XB GS 351 Coupe View Post
WOW you must be a genius, Woolies and Coles are run for profit??? who would have thought

Of course they are run for profit it is a business.

But do you understand by not using the dockets YOU PERSONALLY are out of pocket anywhere from $400-1000 per year??? As i bet you sill buy your groceries from a supermarket.

I have asked this question several times now and have received no answer:
DO YOU GROW YOUR OWN VEGGIES AND KILL YOUR OWN ANIMALS TO EAT AND DO YOU MAKE YOUR OWN FUEL????? I would say NO.

So you still go to a supermarket, you still pay the premium, you still put fuel in your car, plus you hand the evil money making cooperation an additional $400-1000 per week because you won't show them your docket that is most likely sitting in your wallet anyway??? You people must really have more cash than what to do with.

Again wow I wish I was in a situation where $600 was nothing So how much do you earn a day??? to make $600 nothing?? Well if you are on $1000 a day, $600 would still be more than half a days pay, so for it to be nothing you must be on a lot more than that....I am impressed.

Again please PM me and I will forward my bank details to you, can you please transfer $300 into my bank account, as $300 would be less than nothing, so shouldn't be a problem for you being a big shot and all that.

And why would you have to wait for an hour to claim your discount?? It takes a second a two to hand the docket over, or do you also have one of those 'unicorn' (unicorn being a fabled creature that is often talked about but never seen) servos that no one apart from people that don't use dockets have ever seen where you need an hour to fuel up???

Please provide some evidence that those servos exist, have never seen one in Sydney in my last 20 plus years of driving.

PS looking forward to receiving my $300 from you or may be I shouldn't hold my breath as I am willing to bet that $300 is still a lot of money to you, but it makes you sound like a big shot to type on a forum that $600 is nothing to you, well lets see, put your money where your mouth is
There has been plenty of times I have seen cars waiting to get fuel on so called cheap days. The best example I can think of, is the shell servo in Laverton, just off the FWY in Vic. I have seen about 50 cars waiting for fuel. They do have about 15 pumps, but still the wait would have been around 10 minutes plus.

It may be only a 10 minute wait for fuel, but that 10 minute wait, turns into 20 minutes when you try and merge back onto the freeway at peak hour.

Why are so offended that I said $600 a year is not much?

Oh wait lets work it out. $600 a year works out to be $11.54 a week, $1.65 a day. So looking at that $600 a year is stuff all. My time is worth more than waiting to fill the car and carrying around a shopper docket.
xisled is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post