Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 25-03-2012, 07:40 PM   #1
turbodewd
FG Falcon fan

Default Solution to crowded Sydney

Make Newcastle the state capital and move all of the government there that could be moved there.

Hollowing out Sydney a little would improve it and it would be a boost to Newcastle and the area which has the size to take on the role.

In most US states the capitol isnt the largest city and that makes sense to me.

Too much of NSW's pop. is in Sydney, lets spread it out some.

turbodewd is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-03-2012, 07:43 PM   #2
My poor XF
Geelong FC 07, 09 & 2011

Default Re: Solution to crowded Sydney

Probably belongs in the bar mate.
Old 25-03-2012, 07:43 PM   #3
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Sydney is poorly managed. Full stop. I've been to some of the largest cities in the world and feel like they are better run and set up.

I've been around the world a couple of times or maybe more.......
Yellow_Festiva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-03-2012, 07:48 PM   #4
buggo
[BU66OS]

I don't think making Newcastle the capital is very viable at all. Sydney CBD and everyone who works there and the surrounding suburbs are very much set. Moving 3 hours up the road I don't think will work.
Also how many peoples of Government would work in Sydney? 100? 200? Lets say they all have a family of 5 members, thats 1000 people, not much to the 4.5mil pop.

Maybe a better idea would to not make Newcastle the capital, but begin to utilise it better. Skilled people migrating would be better off placed in Newcastle than in and around Sydney, and slowing grow it and build it up.
As the local economy of Newcastle develops, and the surrounding suburbs start filling up and therefore making property prices rise, smaller companies would choose to rent out an office there as opposed to Sydney. Then they grow, stay in Newcastle, same thing happens with the company next door, etc etc.
So how Sydney started just delayed 70 years.

BA XR8 Manual
buggo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-03-2012, 07:49 PM   #5
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

I think Melbourne has a bit of an issue too (having never been to Sydney I assume its Melbourne but worse).

The problem is every man and his dog requires a CBD address for their business, for what reasons I do not know, but the government should offer incentives for business to move out to/start in regional capitals, for example Bendigo and Ballarat both have good public transport via the Vline Vlocity trains, its only about 1 hour 30 minutes from Bendigo to Southern Cross station.
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-03-2012, 10:12 PM   #6
turbodewd
FG Falcon fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by buggo
I don't think making Newcastle the capital is very viable at all. Sydney CBD and everyone who works there and the surrounding suburbs are very much set. Moving 3 hours up the road I don't think will work.
Also how many peoples of Government would work in Sydney? 100? 200? Lets say they all have a family of 5 members, thats 1000 people, not much to the 4.5mil pop.

Maybe a better idea would to not make Newcastle the capital, but begin to utilise it better. Skilled people migrating would be better off placed in Newcastle than in and around Sydney, and slowing grow it and build it up.
As the local economy of Newcastle develops, and the surrounding suburbs start filling up and therefore making property prices rise, smaller companies would choose to rent out an office there as opposed to Sydney. Then they grow, stay in Newcastle, same thing happens with the company next door, etc etc.
So how Sydney started just delayed 70 years.
mate, im not just talking about parliament - the departments as well. Id say there'd be quite a lot of them. I think the ACT government is 22,000 users...NSW would be bigger.
turbodewd is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-03-2012, 10:45 PM   #7
JTFG
In a Ford..at last!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Damo
I think Melbourne has a bit of an issue too (having never been to Sydney I assume its Melbourne but worse).

The problem is every man and his dog requires a CBD address for their business, for what reasons I do not know, but the government should offer incentives for business to move out to/start in regional capitals, for example Bendigo and Ballarat both have good public transport via the Vline Vlocity trains, its only about 1 hour 30 minutes from Bendigo to Southern Cross station.
Agreed!
JTFG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-03-2012, 11:16 PM   #8
EL Lupo
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbodewd
Make Newcastle the state capital and move all of the government there that could be moved there.

Hollowing out Sydney a little would improve it and it would be a boost to Newcastle and the area which has the size to take on the role.

In most US states the capitol isnt the largest city and that makes sense to me.

Whoa!!! I say Whoa!!! I currently live in Newcastle after having lived in Sydney most of my life. Newcastle has a residential vacancy rate of under 1 percent in real terms, meaning there is effectively nowhere for new people to live, the infrastructure is crap, public transport almost non-existent (and set to become even less existent).
As overpopulated and chaotic as Sydney is, Newcastle already cops the overflow.... now if they turned Coffs into a 'New Vegas'...
Old 25-03-2012, 11:27 PM   #9
GTpilot
FG GT 5.4 w/ additions!

Quote:

What a great idea!!!!!!

http://www.rdv.vic.gov.au/

Been doing if for sometime now.
GTpilot is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-03-2012, 11:35 PM   #10
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTpilot
What a great idea!!!!!!

http://www.rdv.vic.gov.au/

Been doing if for sometime now.
Never knew about that, .

Maybe they need more incentives because it doesn't seem to be working too well.

Though, Docklands does seem a bit deserted, our new TAFE is there and there is a few empty buildings/offices down there. I personally think its the only part of Melbourne worth going to as everything is nice and new.
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-03-2012, 01:40 AM   #11
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

it seems not too long ago the government was encouraging people to be in the city,
i don`t think they have a clue or a plan, the old saying too many cheifs...............
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-03-2012, 02:29 AM   #12
Mickxr8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Been to sydney , once and never again .
Spent 3 days there on the way home from bathurst, did all the touristy type stuff and got the pics etal but after day 3 we couldnt wait to get out of there,,
Have also been o/s a lot and would reviset a mongrel hell hole in out back asia somewhere before going back.
Guess my point is ,, you can only pile **** on a city for x amount of time before it starts to rot and smell.
Outsource worker bees to surrounding burbs and give the city a go ? ,
( yeah I`m in dream world I know )
Old 26-03-2012, 03:39 AM   #13
Uncle Niceguy
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

didn't a NSW Premier along time ago have a vision for this sorta thing and start building satellite towns and stuff like Wagga Wagga? can't remember.
Uncle Niceguy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-03-2012, 08:38 AM   #14
Mickxr8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.NiceGuy
didn't a NSW Premier along time ago have a vision for this sorta thing and start building satellite towns and stuff like Wagga Wagga? can't remember.
Would take a generation of people to breed this kinda reality situation
Add some politics,missed revenue ETC , will never happen.
Old 26-03-2012, 09:43 AM   #15
Miss_XR6

Sydney is only crowded cause we have **** roads and **** city rail so people want to live closer to the city so parramatta inwards
People dont want to live out west in places like Springfarm, Oran Park which are great but to far
Sydney businesses need to spread out and than sydney wouldnt be so crowded
Miss_XR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-03-2012, 11:06 AM   #16
Keepleft
Mot Adv-NSW

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbodewd
No thanks, hate Sydney, you can leave its multiculturalisim, lousy roads and public transportation where it is. Stay away from the rest of us. I visited Orange once, lady told me 'they' hated what was coming over the mountains; Sydney crap and whatnot.

Quote:
Nope, think further away than Newcastle. I'm near Avondale/Cooranbong, reckon my grandparents would be at the rifles at what has arrived from Sydney today in business and life. A nearby residential street @ Balcolyn, houses renting at $420pw had the riot squad here till 2am after medically challenged and entitled bogan went on a rampage, smashing windows and cars after being served with a 60day eviction. Not to matter, other bogans live nearby. I'll box them and send them back to south western Sydney for you.

Quote:
I had considered putting up a wall and introducing passport control on the F3, in the same way I'd do at the VIC-NSW border. Those Viktorian's, they ain't right in the head I tell ya! :-)

Minister for smooth relations.

Last edited by Keepleft; 26-03-2012 at 11:27 AM.
Keepleft is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-03-2012, 11:15 AM   #17
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Hmm I know Newcastle CBD needs to be livened up, but Newcastle roads and Public transport is worse then Sydney's.
There is already bumper to bumper traffic and overcrowded buses heading towards the city every morning, cramming in a few government buildings wont be much help unless the roads and public transport is fixed first.

Then they would have to find houses for everyone to live. Knocking down older houses and buildings close to the CBD and making taller apartment buildings is one way, but if they want more houses, it will have to be out west.
Ben73 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-03-2012, 11:31 AM   #18
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

As far as most politicians are concerned N.S.W. stands for Newcastle Sydney and Wollongong.

Which is good. If you send all the Sydneyites to the bush we would have to put up with new toll roads and Yuppies complaining of all the nasty clear blue skies and fresh air