Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 18-01-2015, 06:51 PM   #271
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Default Re: Pedestrian Run Down By Cyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by FGX-351 View Post
You'd be surprised. lol
I live on my inline skates, own at least 6 pairs as well as ice and old school roller skates.

You have a lot of good rinks available in Vic.
I'm on the QLD roller hockey team & whenever we play down your way I like to go check out the local rinks, geat fun!
When I was "growing up" in that era (late 90s/early 2000s) everything was inline roller blades, skateboards, every kid had "skate belts" (thick fabric belt with brass adjuster thing on it) and loosely fitted "skate shoes" (Vans, Etnies etc) with the laces tucked into the shoes instead of tied up and baggy clothes.

The local skate park everyone had skateboards and we were all little Tony Hawk wannabees discussing different decks, trucks, bearings and wheels .

Now, its just a few kids on push bikes at the skate park, when did that whole inline skating and skateboarding scene wear off our young people?

Last edited by Franco Cozzo; 18-01-2015 at 07:07 PM.
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 18-01-2015, 07:30 PM   #272
FoxtrotGolfXray 5.0
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Willingly providing technical info and documents, despite glitches. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by GasOLane View Post
It does seem that, like the wheel, it's going around in circles.
It's Groundhog Day....all over again

Life is a journey, not a destination.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Daily: 2013 FGII EcoLPi in Winter White
Play: 2015 FG X XR8 in Emperor Show' N Shine thread

Gone, but not forgotten: 2015 SZII petrol Titanium Territory in Emperor
FoxtrotGolfXray 5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 18-01-2015, 07:51 PM   #273
marty351
Shenanigans..............

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Damo View Post
When I was "growing up" in that era (late 90s/early 2000s) everything was inline roller blades, skateboards, every kid had "skate belts" (thick fabric belt with brass adjuster thing on it) and loosely fitted "skate shoes" (Vans, Etnies etc) with the laces tucked into the shoes instead of tied up and baggy clothes.

The local skate park everyone had skateboards and we were all little Tony Hawk wannabees discussing different decks, trucks, bearings and wheels .

Now, its just a few kids on push bikes at the skate park, when did that whole inline skating and skateboarding scene wear off our young people?
Tony Hawk killed reality skateboarding when he realeased playstation skateboarding.
marty351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 18-01-2015, 07:58 PM   #274
CoupeKing
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Damo View Post

when did that whole inline skating and skateboarding scene wear off our young people?
I think the whole PC/Console and social media dependence took over. Plus kids back then suffered enough broken ankles so when they eventually had kids of their own, buying them a tablet should be more hassle-free than a Steve Caballero deck.
CoupeKing is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-01-2015, 08:04 PM   #275
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by marty351 View Post
Tony Hawk killed reality skateboarding when he realeased playstation skateboarding.
Tony Hawk Pro Skater 1 and 2 were the bomb, with epic soundtracks from bands like Pappa Roach from the 1990s/2000s
This user likes this post:
Old 18-01-2015, 08:08 PM   #276
marty351
Shenanigans..............

Playstation 2? you old fart....
marty351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-01-2015, 08:22 PM   #277
LG17
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by tempted View Post
This is the only place that cyclists belong. End of argument.

Narrow-mindedness gets nobody nowhere...
LG17 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 18-01-2015, 08:44 PM   #278
Xauterus
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

If its so dangerous to ride in traffic then conditions need to be changed to correct that for cyclists following the law.
Xauterus is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-01-2015, 08:50 PM   #279
aussiblue
FG XR6 Ute & Sedan
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Has been floating around the oze tech section for a long time and is always there to give advice when people have an issue. 

Quote:

Now, its just a few kids on push bikes at the skate park, when did that whole inline skating and skateboarding scene wear off our young people
This is what killed it in WA http://www.austlii.edu.au/au/legis/w...0113/s209.html (also helped build a view that many WA cyclists were selfish road and path users).
Quote:
ROAD TRAFFIC CODE 2000 - REG 209

209 . Travelling on in‑line skates etc. on bicycle path or separated footpath

(1) A person travelling on in‑line skates, rollerskates, a motorised scooter or a similar wheeled recreational device, shall not be on a part of a separated footpath designated for the use of pedestrians unless the person —

(a) is crossing the separated footpath by the shortest safe route; and

(b) does not stay on the separated footpath for longer than necessary to cross the separated footpath safely.

Modified penalty: 1 PU

(2) A person travelling on in‑line skates, rollerskates, a motorised scooter or a similar wheeled recreational device, on a bicycle path, or a part of a separated footpath designated for the use of bicycles, shall keep out of the path of any cyclist or EPT rider.
The cyclist lobby had this legislation put in place and some aggro riders then used it to push us of the footpaths even when we were on the LH side and there was plenty of room for them to get by on their side. Similarly, those same B&&%*sts would come up behind us and insist we get off the path even when there was plenty of room on the path to go around us. It was also an excuse for some of them to ride two abreast and force us off the pavements. Going off on sand or grass generally ruined your expensive skate bearing and for those others less experienced skaters it made them fall off. And skates are I think are as, if not even more, environmentally than bikes (less carbon utilising materials used in their manufacture).

PS I started inline skating in my late 40's when my kids took it and inline hockey up.
Old 18-01-2015, 10:20 PM   #280
b0son
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xauterus View Post
If its so dangerous to ride in traffic then conditions need to be changed to correct that for cyclists following the law.
The only way to ensure they are safe is to separate them from cars. There are certainly places where we try, but still the dedicated paths are not up to the cyclists exacting standards, and they continue to mix it with the cars and come off second best.
b0son is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-01-2015, 10:25 PM   #281
LG17
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
In follow up to the video I posted of the truck, this may help to put into perspective what a truck actually pays to use the road. This is what a relative of mine who runs his own business pays to register a prime mover.
As you can see, there is a 'road user fee' of almost $5000. Now why should cyclists who pay ZERO road user fees even have the right to be on the road, let alone demand the same rights and space as paying users. Its ludicrous.
The pencil pushers who dream up these laws giving cyclists rights should get out from behind their desks and out into the real world, where they will see that there is simply no place for cyclists on the roads. Motor vehicles and bicycles are like water and oil - they do not mix!

Get real!
Even IF there was rego on a bicycle, it'd be all of $0.02 going by those charges. Maybe you should be lobbying for reduced rego charges for trucks instead of this ill fated witch hunt.

...and what would you charge pedestrians?
Old 18-01-2015, 10:25 PM   #282
b0son
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

tempted, it may sound like a lot, but if we take the car's rego fee as the benchmark, then some truck drivers are paying nowhere near enough, when you consider that a fully laden B-double can do 20,000 times the damage to a road that a typical car will.

personally, I'd be happy for bike rego to be completely free, maybe a token contribution toward some sort of cyclists insurance scheme. just have them accountable in some way, eg. a licence (so you can request details if an accident occurs), and/or plate so they can be identified. I suspect even with it being no-cost, the biking lobby would still resist it.
Old 18-01-2015, 11:16 PM   #283
Xauterus
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

So by your own statement a bicycle is a vehicle. Therefore it has a place on the road. The only reason for cyclists to ride on a footpath is because road conditions are too dangerous.
2 users like this post:
Old 18-01-2015, 11:30 PM   #284
b0son
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xauterus View Post
So by your own statement a bicycle is a vehicle. Therefore it has a place on the road.
A ride-on lawnmower is a vehicle. A mobility scooter is a vehicle. Want to share the roads with them?
Old 18-01-2015, 11:52 PM   #285
Xauterus
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

It is not legal to ride a mower on the road. A train needs tracks so will not be sharing a road. Trains cant swerve either.
2 users like this post:
Old 19-01-2015, 12:01 AM   #286
aussiblue
FG XR6 Ute & Sedan
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Has been floating around the oze tech section for a long time and is always there to give advice when people have an issue. 

Well there was a time when trains in Midland Junction WA shared the road with cars. You can still see the lines embedded in asphalt in places.
Old 19-01-2015, 12:33 AM   #287
flooded one
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

in Queensland them mobile scooter things for the disabled have to be registered and they don't even get to use the road!! I don't know why Cyclists get in such a uproar about rego??
flooded one is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-01-2015, 02:25 AM   #288
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by marty351 View Post
Playstation 2? you old fart....
N64, PS1 and PC, the first two Tony Hawk games were pre PS2, I had the second one on PC as a laddy.

Its one of the highest ranking video games of all time according to multiple reviews and it scored very highly back then.

How times change.

Mind you given that I'm only 23, I've been playing games through 5 out of the 8 generations of game consoles, If there was an 'oldies' thread for gamers I'd be up there

Quote:
In follow up to the video I posted of the truck, this may help to put into perspective what a truck actually pays to use the road. This is what a relative of mine who runs his own business pays to register a prime mover.
As you can see, there is a 'road user fee' of almost $5000. Now why should cyclists who pay ZERO road user fees even have the right to be on the road, let alone demand the same rights and space as paying users. Its ludicrous.
The pencil pushers who dream up these laws giving cyclists rights should get out from behind their desks and out into the real world, where they will see that there is simply no place for cyclists on the roads. Motor vehicles and bicycles are like water and oil - they do not mix!
Except most cyclists own a car, which is sitting in their driveway when they're on their pushbike

I own 3 cars which are all fully registered (used to be 4 cars), therefore I have more rights to use the road than you.

Fortunately it doesn't work that way.

This is an easy subject to bring politics into, but for the sake of this thread's health, I won't mention anything.

Last edited by Franco Cozzo; 19-01-2015 at 02:42 AM.
Old 19-01-2015, 03:06 AM   #289
FGX-351
Supercharged Mang-mobile

lol i'm 27 and I still own just about evey old console(bit of a hobby).
I remember the Tony hawke days like it was yesterday, good times.

Been skating on rolle/inline since I was 8 & havent given it up, its coming back in QLD.
If you type in stafford skate cente into youtube ive put up heaps of vids.
09/00 VX HSV XU6 Build #0001 of 0171
http://fordforums.com.au/showthread....09#post5571209
-- Best E/T: |14.982 @92.12mph | R/T:0.013 | 60' 2.213| 330: 6.283 | 1/8: 9.624 @ 73.17mph | 1000: 12.529 | 25Deg, N/A Hum, 1010mb | Willowbank Raceway 7/12/16

Tickford EL Falcon XR6 RIP
-- Factory Manual
-- Best E/T: |14.991 @ 92.71mph | R/T: 0.607 | 60': 2.215 | 660': 9.665 |13Deg, 86%H, 1024mb, 184RA @ Willowbank Raceway
FGX-351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 19-01-2015, 09:28 AM   #290
LG17
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
I don't see what relevance pedestrians have in this matter. They cross the road to get to the other side and that's it. They don't walk along main roads taking up entire lanes forcing motorists to avoid them.
A pedestrian is not classed as a vehicle. A bicycle is.
Pedestrians use the roads at no charge just like bikes!
Old 19-01-2015, 11:51 AM   #291
aussiblue
FG XR6 Ute & Sedan
Donating Member3

Quote:
Pedestrians use the roads at no charge just like bikes!
Actually they mainly use footpaths and rarely run over other traffic :-) But there is always an exception: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m86uZJfj3DI
Old 19-01-2015, 12:07 PM   #292
aussiblue
FG XR6 Ute & Sedan
Donating Member3

Then there is passive revenge https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G6FqvKVh4Ro

..and remember to put the handbrake on before you get out to respond to an aggro pedestrian https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C7J2j5Byh0Q

And don't upset old ladies https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9qz6TT1v_I0

Last edited by aussiblue; 19-01-2015 at 12:27 PM.
aussiblue is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-01-2015, 12:13 PM   #293
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0son View Post
tempted, it may sound like a lot, but if we take the car's rego fee as the benchmark, then some truck drivers are paying nowhere near enough, when you consider that a fully laden B-double can do 20,000 times the damage to a road that a typical car will.

personally, I'd be happy for bike rego to be completely free, maybe a token contribution toward some sort of cyclists insurance scheme. just have them accountable in some way, eg. a licence (so you can request details if an accident occurs), and/or plate so they can be identified. I suspect even with it being no-cost, the biking lobby would still resist it.
hehehe your joking right ?? you wanna pay 50 buks for a loaf of bread ???
a standard b double already pays about 16000 PA for the privilege of driving on our roads, not to mention higher fuel prices.
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-01-2015, 12:20 PM   #294
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Cyclists have an attitude that they can dictate their road rules and ignore the majority. Look at the ridiculous situation in Queensland , where cars etc have to give 1m>1.5m clearance?? from Jan 1 can ride across zebra crossings and don't have to stay in cycleways!!! Its time cyclists took responsiblity for their actions and not inconveinience other road users..and paid rego, over the age of 18.....http://www.tmr.qld.gov.au/Safety/Que...oad-rules.aspx
Cyclists in bicycle lanes

From 1 January 2015, a cyclist will be able to choose whether or not they wish to ride in a bicycle lane where one is provided. The lane is there if they wish to use it but they will not be obliged to use it.

This change is consistent with the rules for other special purpose lanes (for example, buses do not have to use bus lanes and drivers do not have to use transit lanes). It will take away an unnecessary limitation on cyclists using the road as legitimate road users.
Old 19-01-2015, 12:23 PM   #295
CoupeKing
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by mik View Post
hehehe your joking right ?? you wanna pay 50 buks for a loaf of bread ???
a standard b double already pays about 16000 PA for the privilege of driving on our roads, not to mention higher fuel prices.
Yeah true. Give the truckies a break if anything. Imagine if they went on strike...go down to the local supermarket in a weeks time, and all you would see is 500 people fighting over the last can of Pal.
CoupeKing is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post:
Old 19-01-2015, 12:59 PM   #296
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by csv8 View Post
Cyclists have an attitude that they can dictate their road rules and ignore the majority. Look at the ridiculous situation in Queensland , where cars etc have to give 1m>1.5m clearance?? from Jan 1 can ride across zebra crossings and don't have to stay in cycleways!!! Its time cyclists took responsiblity for their actions and not inconveinience other road users..and paid rego, over the age of 18.....http://www.tmr.qld.gov.au/Safety/Que...oad-rules.aspx
Cyclists in bicycle lanes

From 1 January 2015, a cyclist will be able to choose whether or not they wish to ride in a bicycle lane where one is provided. The lane is there if they wish to use it but they will not be obliged to use it.

This change is consistent with the rules for other special purpose lanes (for example, buses do not have to use bus lanes and drivers do not have to use transit lanes). It will take away an unnecessary limitation on cyclists using the road as legitimate road users.
Yes, the 1 metre or 1.5 metre clearance issue will be interesting, so in theory on a single lane heavily trafficked narrow road, basically you could have one meandering cyclist wobbling his way down the road holding up a kilometre of cars in peak hour if motorists where to follow the law(fat chance) to the letter,
either that or they will have to overtake on the wrong side of the road.

at least one good thing happening , in the next paragraph it says cyclist fines are going to be more in line with other road users,
good for the goose. ....... good for the gander.
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-01-2015, 01:02 PM   #297
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussiblue View Post
Actually they mainly use footpaths and rarely run over other traffic :-)
I suppose we should be thankful that the cycling fraternity don't have their version of Harold Scruby !
Old 19-01-2015, 01:40 PM   #298
MAD
Petro-sexual

Quote:
Originally Posted by SensationFG8 View Post
I think the problem here is more how is the victim covered? Even if there is harsher punishment how do we look after the innocent person?
May have been covered already but the simple answer is free healthcare.
Yeah, yeah, it's not actually free, but this is somewhere I want my taxes going.

Don't forget that the savings on all other gap filling insurances would be significant.
Old 19-01-2015, 02:18 PM   #299
LoudPipes
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAD View Post
May have been covered already but the simple answer is free healthcare.
Yeah, yeah, it's not actually free, but this is somewhere I want my taxes going.

Don't forget that the savings on all other gap filling insurances would be significant.
Free health care doesn’t offer enough if the victim has to spend the rest of their life in a chair.
Old 19-01-2015, 02:18 PM   #300
LG17
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
But a pedestrian isn't a vehicle.
So what?
They're still a road user.