Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 19-01-2015, 11:21 PM   #331
flooded one
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Pedestrian Run Down By Cyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by GasOLane View Post
Ok, I'll bite.... How did you get held up by pedestrians
bloody Monday morning drunks!!!
flooded one is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-01-2015, 11:45 PM   #332
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

No offence..but how can you not see a truck ?????
Old 19-01-2015, 11:50 PM   #333
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by csv8 View Post
No offence..but how can you not see a truck ?????
It's quite easy it seems, I had a lady in a Subaru not see my Orange KW when she 'bumped into' my fuel tank... and drive wheels.... and first trailer.......and second trailer
Old 20-01-2015, 08:11 AM   #334
SensationFG8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Yep and this goes to what we've all been saying I think, there are bad drivers and bad riders. Doesn't make them all bad but bloody hell the bad ones do some damage to the good ones.
Sensation FG XR8 290kW NA V8, 6spd Automatic

Current Rides
Octane GTF SC V8, 6spd Manual, Manta 3" X pipes and hotdogs
Starlight Lotus Evora S 258kW SC V6, 6spd Manual
SensationFG8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 20-01-2015, 12:57 PM   #335
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

http://www.9news.com.au/national/201...-on-bulli-pass
Old 20-01-2015, 01:09 PM   #336
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Well thought out and constructive posts.  A real credit to this forum. 

That guy is crazy. ^^^

2022 Mazda CX5 GTSP Turbo

2018 Hyundai Santa Fe Highlander

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2021 Subaru Outback Sport
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 AU2 75th Anniversary Futura
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1984 Datsun Bluebird Wagon
1975 Honda Civic
blueoval is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 20-01-2015, 01:11 PM   #337
marty351
Shenanigans..............

If it wasn't for alert drivers and cyclists, a lot more pedestrians would be statisticts.
I see every day people walking over the street at a busy t-intersection without a care in the world for their own safety, often woth I-pods blaring and faces buried in their smart? phones, completely oblivious to the car they failed to give way to, and on some occasions get beeped, only to turn around bewildered, face of death or hurling abuse.
As I mentioned earlier, more education is needed on all fronts.
marty351 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 20-01-2015, 01:16 PM   #338
b0son
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueoval View Post
That guy is crazy. ^^^
So is the driver going so slowly that a cyclist is capable of passing cars up a hill.
b0son is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-01-2015, 01:17 PM   #339
marty351

(cyclist).. I'm getting to the cafe first!
2 users like this post:
Old 20-01-2015, 01:35 PM   #340
Xauterus
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

And no one on a motorcycle has ever been seen doing anything dangerous like that.
Xauterus is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-01-2015, 01:51 PM   #341
DBourne
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by tempted View Post
How will the pro-cyclist brigade justify this one?
We won't. That is just a completely stupid thing to do.

If only there was dash cam footage of cars doing stupid stuff that I could post here, and show you ONCE AGAIN that there are good and bad in all areas.. oh wait..

Last edited by russellw; 27-01-2015 at 01:40 AM.
DBourne is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 20-01-2015, 01:59 PM   #342
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guzz226 View Post
Fortunately the majority of both drivers and cyclists are more tolerant.
this.

fortunately in the real world, the issue isn't as bad as what the internerdz like to make out.

i ave about 6000km (give or take) a year on my bike. i've been hit by a car once, been 'buzzed' a number of times, been abused a few times, but overall, there isn't too many issues on my cycling journeys.
prydey is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 20-01-2015, 02:04 PM   #343
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Most were when I was turning left or right into a road at a set of lights where they are crossing at the pedestrian crossing over the road I was turning into. Traffic lights went green and I could of gone but had to wait for those damn pesky pedestrians wanting to safely cross the road. So I had to wait a little longer. Big deal.

2 were pedestrian crossings - 1 was a zebra crossing, the other a set of lights job.
Damned pedestrians............ the ordacity 😎
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-01-2015, 02:07 PM   #344
aussiblue
FG XR6 Ute & Sedan
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Has been floating around the oze tech section for a long time and is always there to give advice when people have an issue. 

Quote:
I see every day people walking over the street at a busy t-intersection without a care in the world for their own safety, often woth I-pods blaring and faces buried in their smart? phones, completely oblivious to the car they failed to give way to, and on some occasions get beeped, only to turn around bewildered, face of death or hurling abuse.
As I mentioned earlier, more education is needed on all fronts.
You do realise that crossing pedestrians have right of way over turning cars at intersections (that don't pedestrian lights and are not slip roads) as well as stop signs and give ways signs and that the pedestrians only have to indicate their intention to cross (foot on the kerb) for the turning vehicle to have to stop. In any event, I keep coming across drivers that don't seem to know that and some I know who have tried argue otherwise even after I pull out the Road Traffic Code and show them otherwise.
Old 20-01-2015, 02:36 PM   #345
Guzz226

Quote:

Hopefully one day this guy will become a transmission sump inspector.
Simple - we don't

Well I don't anyway.

Just reinforces my message from the start - there are nufties in life, sometimes they walk across the road, sometimes they drive and sometimes they ride a bike.

Tomorrow that guy maybe caught driving a recklessly

Just cause he is a ********* doesn't mean all cyclists are the same - no more or less so when a single hoon is caught on film means all drivers are goons
Guzz226 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 20-01-2015, 02:53 PM   #346
marty351

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussiblue View Post
You do realise that crossing pedestrians have right of way over turning cars at intersections (that don't pedestrian lights and are not slip roads) as well as stop signs and give ways signs and that the pedestrians only have to indicate their intention to cross (foot on the kerb) for the turning vehicle to have to stop. In any event, I keep coming across drivers that don't seem to know that and some I know who have tried argue otherwise even after I pull out the Road Traffic Code and show them otherwise.
No they don't. When pedestrians are crossing the road, at any point other than a marked pedestrian crossing or slip lanes at intersections (usually now zebra crossings), pedestrians must give way to cars, just as cars must give way to pedestrians on footpaths. If pedestrians had right of way at intersections, we would not need the little red man at traffic lights.

And the intersection i'm referring to is not marked, no paint at all.
Old 20-01-2015, 02:56 PM   #347
LoudPipes
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAD View Post
Relax. Yes, its an ideal that doesn't fit the current system, that's why I said it 'could' be seen to.

Why wouldn't it be a good thing to rid the world of these ridiculous claims and counterclaims, and especially the leech lawyers that follow. If you didn't have to lose out monetarily for an injury, you wouldn't need to claim an entitlement.
I’m always relaxed, that’s my nature and if I wasn’t I’d be to and froing in a sweaty lather in the cyclist versus motor vehicle debate/war.

I see good and bad there and a lot of poorly educated road users - distracted pedestrians included but that’s not where my interest lays.

My interest in the article is compensation and I understand what you mean by ridiculous claims and counter claims but this is not what this is about.

It’s about what type of compensation system could be implemented for someone who is not at fault and suffers due to some else’s neglect and neglect being the apt word as it is the prove of neglect that determines the size of the payout.

Compensation for injuries is the cornerstone of forcing care and diligence and has been fostered by lawyers, unions, insurance companies and employees for years in areas like workers comp, vehicle accidents and around the home and to be fair should also be available to others regardless of the situation.

After all, everyone has the right to be treated equally.

Peace my friend, there are far worse ideals in the world outside of compensating the truly worthy.

As far as frivolous compensation is concerned, Australia is nothing like the USA where litigation is the first point of attack in almost all accidents and here’s a beauty I read this morning that is a perfect example of compensation for the sake of compensation.

Quote:

Boy, 5, Invoiced For Missing Birthday Party

The parents of a five-year-old boy have been threatened with court action because he missed a schoolfriend's birthday party and left the hosts out of pocket.

Derek Nash, from Torpoint, Cornwall. discovered an invoice for £15.95 had been put into son Alex's schoolbag after he was a "no show" at the ski centre party.

Mr Nash said he originally thought the letter was a joke but now the friend's mother is threatening to take the matter to the small claims court.

The family accepted the invite to the Ski Slope and Snowboard Centre just before the Christmas holidays, forgetting they had a prior family commitment.

Mr Nash said he had already arranged for their daughter to go out with her grandparents.

He said: "She [the mother] saw me and asked if Alex was coming to the party. At this time I agreed and said that Alex was looking forward to it.

"By this time we did not have a contact number, email or an address to let [the mother] know.

"So on the day of the party we asked Alex what he wanted to do - he chose to be with his grandparents."

When the children went back to school in January, Mr Nash's partner tried once more to apologise to the boy's mother but did not see her.

He said: "On January 15 she looked in Alex's school bag and found a brown envelope. It was an invoice for £15.95 for a child's party no show fee.

"I asked Alex's class teacher if [the child's mother] had given anything to her. She said, 'Yes, a brown envelope'.

"I then visited Alex's school headteacher, who couldn't apologise enough that one of the teachers had passed this on. She said she would remind all staff that this was a breach of protocol."

Mr Nash said while he sympathised with the woman, he told her he would not be paying.

She has since threatened to take the case to a small claims court, while the birthday boy will no longer play with Alex at school.

Mr Nash added: "I drive all around the South West for my job and I have talked to quite a few people about this.

"They're all quite incredulous that this has happened. I thought it was a joke to begin with. I am lost for words."

The mother of the birthday boy has not commented on the row.

http://www.msn.com/en-au/news/offbeat/boy-5-invoiced-for-missing-birthday-party/ar-AA8l7Gd
Old 20-01-2015, 03:02 PM   #348
marty351

- Birthday boy- Extortion, no written contract or signature. Counter-sue for everything!
Old 20-01-2015, 03:05 PM   #349
cs123
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Can't think of anyone more deserving. Russ Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For all the technical support behind the scenes. Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Technical submission 

Quote:
Originally Posted by marty351 View Post
No they don't. When pedestrians are crossing the road, at any point other than a marked pedestrian crossing or slip lanes at intersections (usually now zebra crossings), pedestrians must give way to cars, just as cars must give way to pedestrians on footpaths. If pedestrians had right of way at intersections, we would not need the little red man at traffic lights.

And the intersection i'm referring to is not marked, no paint at all.
http://www.tmr.qld.gov.au/Safety/Dri...destrians.aspx

When driving a vehicle or riding a bicycle, you must give way to pedestrians when they’re crossing at pedestrian crossings, children’s crossings or marked foot crossings.

When approaching a pedestrian crossing, you must drive at a speed at which you can safely stop at the crossing.

When you are turning at an intersection, you must give way to pedestrians crossing the road you are turning into.

You must give way to pedestrians in shared zones.

You must give way to pedestrians on a slip lane.

Allow a person with a disability or senior pedestrians longer to cross the road.

Lower your speed at night and be alert for people suddenly walking out on the road, especially around where alcohol may be served.

Take care driving in areas where there are children, especially near schools and playgrounds. Watch out for children running out onto the road.

If you see another vehicle stop or slow down near a pedestrian or children’s crossing, prepare to stop because pedestrians may be crossing.
Old 20-01-2015, 03:08 PM   #350
marty351

I stand corrected.
Old 20-01-2015, 03:16 PM   #351
aussiblue
FG XR6 Ute & Sedan
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Has been floating around the oze tech section for a long time and is always there to give advice when people have an issue. 

As I said if there are walk/ don't walk lights the pedestrians must stop. Otherwise, or in certrain slip road situations they have right of way. See http://www.slp.wa.gov.au/legislation..._homepage.html

Reg 45

Quote:
A driver turning to the right or left (except a driver turning left using a slip lane) at an intersection with traffic control signals shall give way to all pedestrians who are crossing the carriageway, or part of the carriageway, the driver is entering.
Reg 55

Quote:
If a driver at an intersection is turning left (except if the driver is using a slip lane), the driver shall give way to —
(a) any vehicle approaching from the right, unless a “stop” sign, stop line, “give way” sign or give way line applies to the driver of the approaching vehicle; and
(b) any pedestrian at or near the intersection who is crossing the carriageway the driver is entering.
Reg 55 (6)

Quote:
(6) If a driver at an intersection is turning right, the driver shall give way to — ...any pedestrian at or near the intersection who is crossing the carriageway the driver is entering.
Reg 56

Quote:
56. Giving way at T intersection
If a driver at a T intersection is turning left (except if the driver is using a slip lane), or right, from the terminating road into the continuing road, the driver shall give way to —(b) any pedestrian who is crossing the continuing road at or near the intersection.

If a driver at a T intersection is turning left from the terminating road into the continuing road using a slip lane, the driver shall give way to —(b) any pedestrian on the slip lane.

(4) If a driver at a T intersection is turning left (except if the driver is using a slip lane) from the continuing road into the terminating road, the driver shall give way to any pedestrian who is crossing the terminating road at or near the intersection.
(5) If a driver at a T intersection is turning from the continuing road into the terminating road using a slip lane, the driver shall give way to —
(a) any vehicle approaching from the right (except a vehicle making a U turn on the terminating road at the intersection); and
(b) any pedestrian on the slip lane.

(6) If a driver at a T intersection is turning right from the continuing road into the terminating road, the driver shall give way to — (b) any pedestrian who is crossing the terminating road at or near the intersection.
Reg 57

Quote:
57. Giving way when entering carriageway from land abutting carriageway or road
(1) A driver entering a carriageway from land abutting the carriageway, without a traffic control signal or a “stop” sign, stop line, “give way” sign or give way line, shall give way to —
(a) any vehicle travelling on the carriageway or turning into the carriageway (except a vehicle turning right into the carriageway from land abutting the carriageway); and
(b) any pedestrian on the carriageway;
Reg 58

Quote:
Giving way when entering land abutting carriageway or road from carriageway
A driver entering land abutting a carriageway or road from a place on a carriageway without a traffic control signal or a “stop” sign, stop line, “give way” sign or give way line, shall give way to —
(a) any pedestrian on the carriageway;
any vehicle or pedestrian on any land abutting the carriageway that the driver crosses or enters

and so on. These are part of the Australian Uniform Traffic Regs so should be same in all states. It also been the same in oz since the horse and carriage days so would have been the case when you first got your driver's licence. Have a look at the regs in the link ; there also diagrams illustrating the point.
Old 20-01-2015, 03:21 PM   #352
Guzz226

Quote:
Originally Posted by mik View Post
Damned pedestrians............ the ordacity 😎
Not sure if you are being sarcastic or not.

So there is no misunderstanding, pedestrians have as much legal right as cyclists, drivers, truckies and even the odd horse and cart on our roads.

I attempted to put up a FACT base in response to the emotional responses and rants of many.

I was asked how pedestrians added to my travel time - and responded.

I am not angry, bitter or twisted that they added to my commute as they have as much legal right as me - just identifying all the factors.

You probably missed the point that other drivers added more time to my commute than any pedestrian or cyclist.....
Guzz226 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 20-01-2015, 03:22 PM   #353
aussiblue
FG XR6 Ute & Sedan
Donating Member3

Yes; it amazes me how many drivers don't know the law with giving way to pedestrians although it is usually emphasised in driver training and the police and courts take hitting (and worse) injuring or killing a pedestrian you should have given way to very seriously. It also hurts a lot if you are hit by a car as a pedestrian.

The police also often run ads in the paper and on TV reminding drivers but it doesn't seem to sink in. And of course when I am turning and stop to give way to a pedestrian as required it not unusual to find a driver behind me tooting their horn or throwing abuse as the clearly don't know the law.
Old 20-01-2015, 03:25 PM   #354
aussiblue
FG XR6 Ute & Sedan
Donating Member3

Quote:
So there is no misunderstanding, pedestrians have as much legal right as cyclists, drivers, truckies and even the odd horse and cart on our roads.
Actually, and understandably given they have very little to protect them from impacts with bikes, cars or trucks, pedestrians, I think they have more rights. Even if they are doing the wrong thing and you hit one you will have to prove it was unavoidable. They also don't require a walking license so they may be ignorant of the law, old with a fading mind, insane, mentally impaired, or drunk (not illegal for a pedestrians) or drug effected.

Last edited by aussiblue; 20-01-2015 at 03:33 PM.
aussiblue is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 20-01-2015, 03:37 PM   #355
marty351

WOW! Just news to me. I was taught that unless it was a marked crossing, pedestrians give way. I suppose we need to protect the drunks from themselves.
I have learned something new.
Old 20-01-2015, 03:37 PM   #356
LG17
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

Any argument you may have had has just gone right out the window with that statement! People like you sicken me that you think it's ok to wish harm on someone.

Only a lowlife would do that.

Last edited by russellw; 27-01-2015 at 01:41 AM. Reason: Edited removed post
LG17 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 20-01-2015, 03:51 PM   #357
marty351

I think thats tounge in cheek.
There's always death by misadventure.
Old 20-01-2015, 04:06 PM   #358
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Not sure if you are being sarcastic or not.

I attempted to put up a FACT base in response to the emotional responses and rants of many.

I was asked how pedestrians added to my travel time - and responded.

I am not angry, bitter or twisted that they added to my commute as they have as much legal right as me - just identifying all the factors.

You probably missed the point that other drivers added more time to my commute than any pedestrian or cyclist.....
nah mate , it was meant to be light hearted jest, as you can see the emotive from my smart phone did not work, just noticed that it did not..... peace guzz !
Old 20-01-2015, 04:26 PM   #359
b0son
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussiblue View Post
Actually, and understandably given they have very little to protect them from impacts with bikes, cars or trucks, pedestrians, I think they have more rights. Even if they are doing the wrong thing and you hit one you will have to prove it was unavoidable.
I thought you only had to prove you took reasonable effort to avoid a collision? Eg. you aren't required to crash your car off the road, drive into oncoming traffic, etc. You simply have to brake, or swerve if there was room to do so and not inherently unsafe. I certainly wouldn't risk my occupants for a careless pedestrian.
b0son is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-01-2015, 04:54 PM   #360
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildrider View Post
I feel sorry for the poor truck driver!! has to live with that for the rest of his life.
Some things to things to take from this thread
1. Humans often do dumb things
2. humans often have lack a of attention
3. Bikes are dangerous
4. cars are dangerous
5. trucks are dangerous

The road is a dangerous place !