Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 20-01-2015, 05:06 PM   #361
LG17
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Pedestrian Run Down By Cyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by tempted View Post
Pfft, who needs data?

The typical loudmouth minority always make noise.

...and hopefully by "taken off the road" you mean legally by the powers that be and are not referring to your earlier unsavoury comment.

Last edited by russellw; 27-01-2015 at 01:43 AM. Reason: Edited removed post
LG17 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 20-01-2015, 05:24 PM   #362
aussiblue
FG XR6 Ute & Sedan
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Has been floating around the oze tech section for a long time and is always there to give advice when people have an issue. 

Quote:
I thought you only had to prove you took reasonable effort to avoid a collision? Eg. you aren't required to crash your car off the road, drive into oncoming traffic, etc. You simply have to brake, or swerve if there was room to do so and not inherently unsafe. I certainly wouldn't risk my occupants for a careless pedestrian.
Yes; it's not considered unavoidable if you would have to take undue risk to avoid it.
Old 20-01-2015, 05:27 PM   #363
Guzz226

Quote:
Originally Posted by mik View Post
Some things to things to take from this thread
1. Humans often do dumb things
2. humans often have lack a of attention
3. Bikes are dangerous
4. cars are dangerous
5. trucks are dangerous

The road is a dangerous place !
You forgot:
6 walking is dangerous
7 99.9% of statistics are a lie - the other 59% are made up
8 1 example doesn't mean everyone is like that
Guzz226 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 20-01-2015, 05:30 PM   #364
Guzz226

Quote:
Pfft, who needs data?
Yeah - why support a position with data, facts and well research rationale when you can be emotional and irrational?

In regards to media reporting, ever heard of sensational reporting? AM radio and the current affair shows thrive on it, yet most people are wise enough and thoughtful enough to form their own views rather than be sheep.

Last edited by russellw; 27-01-2015 at 01:43 AM. Reason: Edited removed post
Old 20-01-2015, 05:33 PM   #365
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Pfft, who needs data?
and if its on the internet it must be true, right? ......

Last edited by russellw; 27-01-2015 at 01:44 AM. Reason: Edited removed post
prydey is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 20-01-2015, 05:36 PM   #366
Guzz226

Given we have hit 14 pages not sure there is much more left to say

I have tried to provide a fact base from the view of someone who drives a lot and rides a lot and is ostracised by the extreme views in both camps for daring to suggest we can all happily and safely coexist.

I reckon I will just have to agree to disagree with some of the other views expressed here- all I would ask is that they put themselves in the place of others, especially those more vulnerable, not just on the roads but in life, rather than take a default position of hate and opposition.

At the end of the day, living in a democratic society means it ain't all about you and you need to coexist.

Peace.
3 users like this post:
Old 20-01-2015, 05:49 PM   #367
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0son View Post
So is the driver going so slowly that a cyclist is capable of passing cars up a hill.
It's actually going down the pass not up.
Old 20-01-2015, 05:57 PM   #368
aussiblue
FG XR6 Ute & Sedan
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Has been floating around the oze tech section for a long time and is always there to give advice when people have an issue. 

Quote:
It's actually going down the pass not up.
Perhaps we could be charitable and assume his brakes have failed and he can't safely stop. And that raises the point in my mind of: when are cycles either going to get brake lights and indicators or the riders use hand signals as they are meant to,and they used to do in the 50's and 60's? Yes a few do (I always did) but it is rare. The other road users need to be mind readers it seems.
Old 20-01-2015, 05:59 PM   #369
marty351
Shenanigans..............

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guzz226 View Post

I have tried to provide a fact base from the view of someone who drives a lot and rides a lot and is ostracised by the extreme views in both camps for daring to suggest we can all happily and safely coexist.

I reckon I will just have to agree to disagree with some of the other views expressed here- all I would ask is that they put themselves in the place of others, especially those more vulnerable, not just on the roads but in life, rather than take a default position of hate and opposition.

At the end of the day, living in a democratic society means it ain't all about you and you need to coexist.

Peace.
When you can sit on the fence and look at the grass on both sides, life is a lot less frustrating.
marty351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 20-01-2015, 06:12 PM   #370
aussiblue
FG XR6 Ute & Sedan
Donating Member3

I can see it from the side of riders, drivers and pedestrians and I have say however you are getting around, that if you go out of your way to be courteous to all other road users and comply to the letter of the Road Traffic Code life suddenly becomes much more calm and relaxed. I guess as you get older you also learn that trying to rush everywhere and getting annoyed at others achieves nothing but high blood pressure. Of course, as I move further into the post retirement grumpy old man stage, I may be more inclined to have less patience for the rude and/or impatient. :-)
Old 20-01-2015, 06:21 PM   #371
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guzz226 View Post

Peace.
Sad part is Guzz, humans dont work that way, we have been warring since day dot ( and nothing has changed), there will always be plenty of selfish dumb humans out there, and probably the truth of the matter is , the best way to keep breathing is to put yourself in best position of least risk.
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 20-01-2015, 06:30 PM   #372
aussiblue
FG XR6 Ute & Sedan
Donating Member3

Quote:
have been warring since day dot
Not so from my observations it is I believe something that had arisen over the last 25 years. As I said before, in the 50's and 60's many people only used their cars for pleasure and on weekends and holidays and slow paced commuting (perhaps as you were wearing your suit not lycra and there no shower or change facilities at work) on the cycle was more the norm. This made drivers and riders identify with, and be more tolerant of each other I think.

So if we ban lycra and work shower facilities....no; we probably will just have more stinky and more aggro cyclists. :-)
Old 20-01-2015, 06:50 PM   #373
Guzz226

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussiblue View Post
I can see it from the side of riders, drivers and pedestrians and I have say however you are getting around, that if you go out of your way to be courteous to all other road users and comply to the letter of the Road Traffic Code life suddenly becomes much more calm and relaxed. I guess as you get older you also learn that trying to rush everywhere and getting annoyed at others achieves nothing but high blood pressure. Of course, as I move further into the post retirement grumpy old man stage, I may be more inclined to have less patience for the rude and/or impatient. :-)
I have driven out in Kona Hawaii - those guys are the most relaxed drivers in earth! No stress and lots of patience. Very easy driving.

Honolulu was a different world altogether

Maybe it is big city agro compared to country relaxed lifestyle at play?
Old 20-01-2015, 06:54 PM   #374
Guzz226

The onus of proof is on you to prove your point.
Old 20-01-2015, 06:56 PM   #375
Guzz226

Ponder this

politicians are favouring cyclists - look at funding, laws etc - if the majority were against it why would the pollies be doing the opposite?
Old 20-01-2015, 07:13 PM   #376
prydey
Rob

Quote:
The only people defending cyclists are cyclists themselves!
the only people defending impatient, inconsiderate motorists are.....

if society was a bit more selfLESS instead of selfish, these discussions wouldn't need to happen.
4 users like this post:
Old 20-01-2015, 07:16 PM   #377
LoudPipes
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

New cars could save cyclists' lives

Date: 20 January, 2015

David McCowen
Motoring Writer

Jaguar developing technology to protect riders on the road.

Drivers unaware of a cyclist's presence could soon be warned by a tap on the shoulder, a bicycle bell and flash of colour inside their own car.

Using a combination of cameras and sensors from parking assistance, cruise control and safety systems, Jaguar Land Rover is developing "Bike Sense" technology to keep cyclists, pedestrians and motorcycle riders safer on the road.

The prototype system can sense when a rider is preparing to pass a car and warning drivers by playing the sound of a horn or bell from the speakers nearest to the bike.

Its seat can give drivers a nudge on the shoulder to show which side a bike will pass on, and LED lighting throughout the cabin can flash red, yellow or orange to give drivers an extra warning.

Dr Wolfgang Epple, director of research and technology for the carmaker, says handles could vibrate to warn drivers against opening their doors, and throttle pedals could also be fitted with a haptic alert.

"Bike Sense takes us beyond the current technologies of hazard indicators and icons in wing mirrors, to optimising the location of light, sound and touch to enhance this intuition," Epple says.

"This creates warnings that allow a faster cognitive reaction as they engage the brain's instinctive responses.

"If you see the dashboard glowing red in your peripheral vision, you will be drawn to it and understand straight away that another road user is approaching that part of your vehicle."

The company is also examining technology to eliminate blind spots in cars by projecting an image of its surroundings onto pillars that connect the body and roof.

While bicycles and cars often have a tense relationship on the road, car makers are looking to protect riders through systems that can help a driver to recognise bicycles and avoid contact with them.

General Motors is looking at smartphones as a possible solution, giving cyclists an app that could electronically warn nearby cars of their presence, while Volvo has tuned its pedestrian detection and self-braking systems to look out for riders on the road.

Jaguar's technology is experimental and is not set for any production models at this stage.

http://www.drive.com.au/motor-news/new-cars-could-save-cyclists-lives-20150120-12u00v.html
Old 20-01-2015, 07:17 PM   #378
aussiblue
FG XR6 Ute & Sedan
Donating Member3

Quote:
Maybe it is big city agro compared to country relaxed lifestyle at play?
Don't think so; Manila is one of the largest most gridlocked cities in the world but drivers there stay relaxed and courteous; perhaps just because they know they can do nothing but be patient. Or perhaps it is ingrained from previously being a US colony for so long and deliberately slowing things down to frustrate their then American masters. But they are generally a happy smiling people so perhaps it's just in their nature.

They however only see road rules and painted lines as "guidelines" that don't need to be complied with and they aren't even required by law to stop for pedestrians at marked pedestrian crossings or lights (pedestrians are not looked after at all - if your are walking you have too look after yourself). And the strictest part of the driving licence test is the drug test and body search (the answers to the written test questions are posted on the wall of the test room and the practical test is a slow drive around a small traffic free road marked on a car park type area). But despite the chaos, I think they are great drivers. Few accidents and the simply strategy seems to be you only have to avoid vehicles in front of you; what happens to your rear and each side is those drivers' responsibility. Toot regularly so everyone in front know you are there. Horn blowing is also seen as a friendly gesture unlike here.
Old 20-01-2015, 08:09 PM   #379
LG17
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
I don't have to prove anything. Get out from underneath the rock you are living under and you will see it for yourself.

I reckon I know one thing you've proved but I'm not going there.
This user likes this post:
Old 20-01-2015, 08:39 PM   #380
burnz
VFII SS UTE

Quote:
Originally Posted by LG17 View Post
I reckon I know one thing you've proved but I'm not going there.
I don't know if its a question of proof, but when local media (aca, tt, alan johns)
as well top gear start writing skits about the antic's of aforementioned riders..

it's getting there, wouldn't you agree?
burnz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-01-2015, 08:47 PM   #381
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnz View Post
I don't know if its a question of proof, but when local media (aca, tt, alan johns)
as well top gear start writing skits about the antic's of aforementioned riders..

all those shows you mentioned rely solely on emotive topics and have very little in the way of facts. they are after ratings only and don't care what they do to get them.

anyone who starts quoting aca, tt or alan jones as evidence loses any credibility.
3 users like this post:
Old 20-01-2015, 08:49 PM   #382
LG17
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnz View Post

Why is a cyclist doing the wrong thing more of a headline than a pedestrian, motorcycle rider, car driver, bus driver or truck driver doing the wrong thing?

There is no more justification for any above the other.

Maybe the stories are written by fat, unfit, fast food connoisseurs.
2 users like this post:
Old 20-01-2015, 08:50 PM   #383
burnz
VFII SS UTE

Quote:
Originally Posted by LG17 View Post
Why is a cyclist doing the wrong thing more of a headline than a pedestrian, motorcycle rider, car driver, bus driver or truck driver doing the wrong thing?

There is no more justification for any above the other.

Maybe the stories are written by fat, unfit, fast food connoisseurs.
you might be right, ha ha..
Old 20-01-2015, 08:56 PM   #384
burnz
VFII SS UTE

Quote:
Originally Posted by prydey View Post
all those shows you mentioned rely solely on emotive topics and have very little in the way of facts. they are after ratings only and don't care what they do to get them.

anyone who starts quoting aca, tt or alan jones as evidence loses any credibility.
the first word I wrote "I don't know if it's a question of proof"

so im not after cred, and I don't subscribe to those shows because they are not on the A.B.C...
but I still enjoy riding with my grand kids, but there getting faster or is it I'm getting slower,,, one of the two.
This user likes this post:
Old 20-01-2015, 09:02 PM   #385
CoupeKing
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Could be they're considered as pests. When I see a cyclist, I take extra special care when I pass them etc. Then I'm like ''eat ^%$#, have fun on your bike''. 45 minutes later while I'm sitting in traffic thinking how many Quarter Pounders I will have for lunch, the same dude just zooms past me. I punch the steering wheel a couple of times, probably out of jealousy.
CoupeKing is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 20-01-2015, 09:05 PM   #386
black13
born to be mild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xauterus View Post
And no one on a motorcycle has ever been seen doing anything dangerous like that.
I'm guilty, but I can go round a lot quicker than that rider
black13 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 20-01-2015, 09:38 PM   #387
MAGPIE
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
I made a statement of my opinion about the general public's views and sentiments of cyclists, and you want me to provide you data?
Corrected that for ya

Quote:
If you think people with anti-cyclist views are a minority, you must be living on another planet!
Frankly the only place I come across people with anti cyclist views is on the internet.

In fact mostly on this forum.

Last edited by russellw; 27-01-2015 at 01:45 AM. Reason: Edited removed post
MAGPIE is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 20-01-2015, 10:01 PM   #388
aussiblue
FG XR6 Ute & Sedan
Donating Member3

Let's lighten up:

Hope the cartoons are evenly balanced with no driver or rider bias.
Old 20-01-2015, 10:35 PM   #389
Guzz226

Quote:
Isn't it funny how some cyclists whinge and moan about being stereotyped
Fixed it for you.

newsflash! Not all cyclists are the same!!!!! Some cyclists are as you would believe yet many, many, many are not! I know 100s - we get bulk buy discounts on lycra! Keeping the "boys" loose helps me remain stress free.

In fact many of cycling comrades are actually triathletes which has its own set of dynamics within the cycling world (along with roadies, MTBers, BMXers, commuters, hippies, kids etc etc).

The thing is, you don't even get the irony of your post - complaining about cyclists stereotyping by actually stereotyping cyclists.

If it wasn't for so many of your previous posts I would have though you were taking the ****.......

Last edited by russellw; 27-01-2015 at 01:47 AM.
2 users like this post:
Old 20-01-2015, 10:36 PM   #390
Guzz226

Simply GOLD AussiBlue - love your work (all of it).

Well done