Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 22-01-2015, 02:14 PM   #451
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Well thought out and constructive posts.  A real credit to this forum. 
Default Re: Pedestrian Run Down By Cyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnews View Post
The rider ID thing is seriously problematic though, it really is. Most small number plates would be hard to mount, and said mounts will inevitably crack on most road bikes due to their lack of suspension and high pressure tyres etc. on rough roads. Could said plate then also cause injury in a crash? I think it is plain just too hard to be honest.
I know what you means, but could there be a small ID tag or plate that could be mounted on the back/front of ones helmet? I reckon personal ID rather than individual bicycle ID is what could be utilized but only when on public roads.

It doesn't have to be a huge plate. Often when I do Sportif rides I get a sticker that I must wear on my bike & helmet mainly for the photographers to ID but also to prove I have paid for the ride. The sticker is 2-3" long and 1" high. But the number is easily legible.

2022 Mazda CX5 GTSP Turbo

2018 Hyundai Santa Fe Highlander

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2021 Subaru Outback Sport
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 AU2 75th Anniversary Futura
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1984 Datsun Bluebird Wagon
1975 Honda Civic
blueoval is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-01-2015, 02:15 PM   #452
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnews View Post
The rider ID thing is seriously problematic though, it really is. Most small number plates would be hard to mount, and said mounts will inevitably crack on most road bikes due to their lack of suspension and high pressure tyres etc. on rough roads. Could said plate then also cause injury in a crash? I think it is plain just too hard to be honest.
with ID, people naturally think of number plates. with technology these days, there is a lot of ways you can wear ID, and it doesn't have to be large. you could even just have a sticker of some sort down a seat stay or across the back of the saddle.

it just needs to show up when photographed, but probably not that helpful if motorists want to dob you in for something.
prydey is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 22-01-2015, 02:20 PM   #453
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Well thought out and constructive posts.  A real credit to this forum. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by prydey View Post
with ID, people naturally think of number plates. with technology these days, there is a lot of ways you can wear ID, and it doesn't have to be large. you could even just have a sticker of some sort down a seat stay or across the back of the saddle.

it just needs to show up when photographed, but probably not that helpful if motorists want to dob you in for something.
Not helpful but at least the argument of not ID/accountability gets thrown out the window. At the end of the day, govco would be the ones to choose size/placement.

2022 Mazda CX5 GTSP Turbo

2018 Hyundai Santa Fe Highlander

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2021 Subaru Outback Sport
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 AU2 75th Anniversary Futura
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1984 Datsun Bluebird Wagon
1975 Honda Civic
blueoval is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-01-2015, 02:25 PM   #454
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

If you had to go the ID way, something on the riders back might be ok.
Old 22-01-2015, 03:21 PM   #455
Matty4
Banana

What's wrong with a large piece of cloth type material attached using velcro to your back?
Could be similar in size to a numperplate, but soft.

Think of all the netballers who have to change their bibs at the end of each quarter, something similar too, perhaps?
Old 22-01-2015, 03:27 PM   #456
Guzz226

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matty4 View Post
What's wrong with a large piece of cloth type material attached using velcro to your back?
Could be similar in size to a numperplate, but soft.

Think of all the netballers who have to change their bibs at the end of each quarter, something similar too, perhaps?
Perhaps - similar to the numbering used in cycling road races I guess.

Comes back to what the objectives are:
- identify rider from a distance eg dob in a rider, break rules, speed camera, red light camera etc
- provide rider id at the time - accident, police pull you over etc
Guzz226 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 22-01-2015, 03:41 PM   #457
LG17
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoudPipes View Post
Here’s an article in today’s Sydney Morning Herald including a link to a reader’s Poll and comments on ‘should cyclists use their bell when approaching walkers?’

http://www.smh.com.au/executive-style/fitness/on-your-bike/cyclists-ringing-bells-considerate-or-annoying-20150121-12v2zn.html

I usually ring the bell and give a big loud thank you as I'm going past. The only times I have ever experienced difficulties is with the large groups of Asian tourists who just stare blankly if they even bother to look.
LG17 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-01-2015, 03:45 PM   #458
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Is there any other vehicle that is allowed to use a public road that doesn't require a permit / insurance cover of sorts?

A bike can be used in much the same manner as a low powered scooter. Able to achieve decent speeds and can cause great injury and damage, both directly and indirectly to the public.

I do think that road going bike riders should be easily identifiable and they should pay a small fee for public liability insurance, or join an organisation that offers cover.

I used to sell stuff at public markets and some places required 'market stall insurance'. Wasn't expensive and I for the life of me could never work out what could go wrong to need it. I guess when an 'accident' happens the first time the policy would be justifiable.

It's just the way things are going. If you interact with the public in a way that can remotely cause damage / injury you would be mad to not cover yourself.

I've been around the world a couple of times or maybe more.......
Yellow_Festiva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-01-2015, 03:53 PM   #459
DBourne
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I am a member of Cycling Australia which includes insurance, just an FYI.

Also, I've found that bells don't do jack. People hear a noise and get disorientated and just wonder around more. However, a nice clear "excuse me" works fine, then I say thank you as I'm next to them.
Old 22-01-2015, 04:01 PM   #460
jpblue1000
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by SgtBourne View Post
I am a member of Cycling Australia which includes insurance, just an FYI.

Same here.

As for ID, a system that captures not only the much maligned MAMIL but your kids, their friends, your leisure riding wife once a year and nanna who might dust of the walk through once in a while (like mine does) will need to be enforced
In reality all this angst over such an isolated rare incident.
On average the car does a lot more damage to society than bicycles who in turn do more then pedestrians but hey, pedestriansy have even less respect by everyone so **** em hey!
I'm willing to bet kitchen knives do more damage to society than cyclist and thus we should license their owners and have them locked up!
And just to annoy some here's my bicycle...how immoral am I!

JP
jpblue1000 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 22-01-2015, 04:02 PM   #461
TheSneakiness
Adapt or perish...

Quote:
Originally Posted by prydey View Post
i just spent 4 weeks with my folks in greenbank, so know this stretch of road. travelled it on the way in, and on the way out. it is a freeway, but it does have a verge wide enough for cars (breakdown lane) so there is plenty of room to ride. on the way out (early sat morning) i saw quite a few riders heading both directions and able to ride well off the road, so i assume debris can't have been too bad. tyre technology is pretty good these days too, so if you are like me and buy tyres that have maximum protection but are a bit heavier, then they will hold up on most conditions.

i would never venture on to these roads without a rear light though, and a good one at that. my light is a bit annoying for others when riding in groups, but at least i know i am being seen.

some cyclists only mount lights just to cover off the legalities of it, which i think is a bit too little.
Was just going to elaborate on that, the shoulder width is good for riders to safely go two abreast but hilly enough to show up the social riders compared to the fit ones.

You do get the odd big rock, red belly black snake, blown out truck tyre, tortoise (yes a tortoise), rubbish and Skippy the dopey kangaroo but in whole its a good testing ride.

As sunset comes yes I also agree riders should go along there with lights on so drivers can locate them.
Old 22-01-2015, 04:05 PM   #462
DBourne
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

JPBlue: Nice bike mate. I have a Fuji track bike as well atm. Borrowing it off a mate. Certainly a different type of riding to my normal roadie!
Old 22-01-2015, 04:15 PM   #463
Guzz226

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpblue1000 View Post
Same here.

As for ID, a system that captures not only the much maligned MAMIL but your kids, their friends, your leisure riding wife once a year and nanna who might dust of the walk through once in a while (like mine does) will need to be enforced
In reality all this angst over such an isolated rare incident.
On average the car does a lot more damage to society than bicycles who in turn do more then pedestrians but hey, pedestriansy have even less respect by everyone so **** em hey!
I'm willing to bet kitchen knives do more damage to society than cyclist and thus we should license their owners and have them locked up!
And just to annoy some here's my bicycle...how immoral am I!

JP
But what about spoons? Not fair to all the knives if they pay rego to be in the kitchen whilst the spoons and forks freeload.

I have heaps of videos that proves all forks are evil and should be banished from the kitchen cause everyone hates forks with a passion!!
Old 22-01-2015, 04:17 PM   #464
mendyxr6

I ride a pushbike to and from work because it's free and work is 5km away
I'm no spandex clad warrior but as has been said using a bell does nothing. People have their head buried in some smart phone to even look out for their own safety.

I also ride a motorbike. Yet again another ball game, battling with other vehicles Now that lane splitting has been made legal in NSW, some ******* deside to block the centre line or swerve at you. I run front and rear cameras on my moto for this reason.

Cycling is kind of like the truckie industry. Plenty of good ones following the rules but a few renegades ruin it for the rest. Same same for motorbiking and cars.
mendyxr6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-01-2015, 04:25 PM   #465
Guzz226

What cameras do u run?
Old 22-01-2015, 04:48 PM   #466
LG17
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow_Festiva View Post
Is there any other vehicle that is allowed to use a public road that doesn't require a permit / insurance cover of sorts?

A bike can be used in much the same manner as a low powered scooter. Able to achieve decent speeds and can cause great injury and damage, both directly and indirectly to the public.

I do think that road going bike riders should be easily identifiable and they should pay a small fee for public liability insurance, or join an organisation that offers cover.

I used to sell stuff at public markets and some places required 'market stall insurance'. Wasn't expensive and I for the life of me could never work out what could go wrong to need it. I guess when an 'accident' happens the first time the policy would be justifiable.

It's just the way things are going. If you interact with the public in a way that can remotely cause damage / injury you would be mad to not cover yourself.

No pedalled vehicle of any kind requires either a licence or registration to use the roads.

Go and build yourself a super cool very lightweight pedal sports car!
Old 22-01-2015, 06:24 PM   #467
MAGPIE
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by LG17 View Post
No pedalled vehicle of any kind requires either a licence or registration to use the roads.

Go and build yourself a super cool very lightweight pedal sports car!
Better still, build a bridge and get over it.
MAGPIE is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-01-2015, 06:53 PM   #468
jpblue1000
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by SgtBourne View Post
JPBlue: Nice bike mate. I have a Fuji track bike as well atm. Borrowing it off a mate. Certainly a different type of riding to my normal roadie!
Yeah gave up on the Australian roads upon our return. too many psycho drivers with chips on their shoulders. Velodrome only for me now or London roads when i'm there...so much safer.

JP
jpblue1000 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-01-2015, 07:26 PM   #469
LG17
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Somebody won't like this...

http://yoursay.sa.gov.au/media/W1siZ...s%20safely.pdf
Old 22-01-2015, 09:11 PM   #470
cs123
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Can't think of anyone more deserving. Russ Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For all the technical support behind the scenes. Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Technical submission 

Dudes riding their bikes through the lobby at the Intercontential in Adelaide..... This has gone too far!!!!

Old 22-01-2015, 10:17 PM   #471
Hell Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by cs123 View Post
Dudes riding their bikes through the lobby at the Intercontential in Adelaide..... This has gone too far!!!!

He's walking the bike, you can see his feet on the ground.

On another note, this this should be shut, its going in circles.
Hell Cat is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 22-01-2015, 10:18 PM   #472
cs123
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Can't think of anyone more deserving. Russ Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For all the technical support behind the scenes. Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Technical submission 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hell Cat View Post
He's walking the bike, you can see his feet on the ground.

On another note, this this should be shut, its going in circles.
He was the 4th inline. 2 in front of him were riding.
Old 22-01-2015, 10:40 PM   #473
ratter
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Shares his in-depth tuning knowledge with the forum, very helpful. Contributor: For members who make a contribution worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For his indepth tutorial on adding borders to photographs 

if it's not on Strava, it did not happen ;)

Authorised Streetfighter, Pcmtec , SCT & HP Tuners Tuning Agent,
ratter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
6 users like this post:
Old 22-01-2015, 11:02 PM   #474
galaxy xr8
Giddy up.

You see it’s all part of the food chain, pedestrian’s run down by cyclists, and cyclists run down by kangaroo’s.

It’s true, see here.
http://www.canberratimes.com.au/act-...20-12u4zr.html
galaxy xr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-01-2015, 11:31 PM   #475
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by tempted View Post
Now if only every other cyclist would adopt the same mindset....
at least you admit you are a psycho driver with a chip on your shoulder.
prydey is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 23-01-2015, 07:53 AM   #476
Guzz226

Quote:
Why is taxpayers money even wasted on these paths when it could go into something far more useful?
No crime committed here as much as you want to think otherwise.

Wasn't in the middle of the road - just staying out of the gutter to avoid the drains. No crime. Perfectly legal.

Traffic islands like that are problematic when a car trys to overtake at the same time as there just isn't enough room.

Kudos to the second car who knows how to be patient and share.

You have tried to sway opinion multiple times with isolated videos and failed - multiple people here have said they are happy to pay rego including myself.

Instead of being angry why not channel your efforts constructively - petition your government to bring in rego if that is your objective - it is not us you need to convince.

Last edited by russellw; 27-01-2015 at 01:56 AM.
2 users like this post:
Old 23-01-2015, 08:37 AM   #477
LG17
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Why is taxpayers money even wasted on these paths when it could go into something far more useful?

...like driver training and attitude education!

Last edited by russellw; 27-01-2015 at 01:57 AM.
2 users like this post:
Old 23-01-2015, 09:07 AM   #478
DBourne
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratter View Post
if it's not on Strava, it did not happen ;)
Wonder if there will be a segment now? Go for the lobby KOM!!!
Old 23-01-2015, 09:37 AM   #479
mcnews
Trev

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Trev has owned several boosted fords and has really contributed a lot of info on them. His posts in the bike section are also very helpful. I think he should be recognised as a technical contributor. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cs123 View Post

I use to pull skids through Carousel Shopping Centre in Cannington early in the morning on my 50cc Motobecane moped :-)
Old 23-01-2015, 09:50 AM   #480
Guzz226

Cyclists know they are the most vulnerable on the road - bottom of the food chain as you choose to describe it - that is why they are so determined to ensure they are respected by motorists as cyclists know all too well that they come of worse for wear in the event of any incident.

Re bike paths - they are adequate for some lie surely rides but with pedestrians and dogs off leash they are also fraught with their own dangers.

In fact I was hit by a car when I was riding on a bike path - I kid you not. Car was supposed to give way and didn't - t boning me and knocking me out - I was on the designated bike path and they were leaving a servo but just ignored the give way sign.

Finally you refer to the few cyclists on this thread provide a different view to your own yet you fail to realise you are one out in your stance of hatred and malice in this thread - on a car forum of all places - so using your own logic where does that leave you?

This thread is well past its use by date so I will leave you be to continue watching lots of cycling YouTube vids(ironic for someone who hates cyclists so passionately) in the hope that you find something definitive to prove a point that can't be proven.

Edit - forgot to mention my bike path accident

Last edited by Guzz226; 23-01-2015 at 10:00 AM.