Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > OzECruisers (E/N/D Series) > OzECruisers General Discussions

OzECruisers General Discussions E/N/D vehicles General Discussion ONLY. NO TECH THREADS

Old 15-11-2008, 01:08 PM   #1
86XFFairmont
No Car Too Low Too Tow!

Default Perception of vehicle transporters/towies

what does everyone think of vehicle transporters e.g. Towies?

I am a towie myself and im also very into modified and hot cars, none of my mates will use neone else unless i suggest them to as im either busy or such but ive been into cars pretty well since my first match box and every car i tow or "transport" i take the utmost care with to not damage or jepardize the car in anyway, thats why i have a few of my own customers that no matter what company i was with they would follow wen i left but now im set at the company im at now and will not be leaving also our trucks are equipped to handle that type of work with air bag rear ends on the trucks and ramps, when i first started i didnt have that so i had to mahe do with wooden planks and that was it so ive learnt the hard way and not ever damaged a vehicle.

Would Love some feed back and opinions on this aswell and would be happy to ask any questions so feel free to ask. :

Old 15-11-2008, 01:28 PM   #2
Gohan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Towies get not much cash for the hours they do but its a thankless task that they do no matter wat weather conditons rain, hail, shine they still get the job done otherwise there would be a whole lot of smashed cars clutter on all the roads and broken down cars all over the shop. Smash towies have seen stuff that they will keep untill they die
Old 15-11-2008, 11:01 PM   #3
Dezza
Parts bin special

I've only had my car go on a tow truck twice but both times it was handled professionally without damaging the car. I must admit I was getting a bit nervous of my front bumper though as it got VERY close to the tray, but somehow didn't scrape.

Daily 2014 SZII Territory diesel - basic runabout

Previous Cars 1990 EAII Fairmont Ghia - Tickford engine, 5 speed, SVO wheels, bodykit, much more
2000 AUII Fairmont - XR wheels, Ghia interior
2010 FG XR50T ute - XR8 bonnet, Streetfighter intake
Dezza is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-11-2008, 08:21 AM   #4
Alby1
you'd be popular too

used tow truck three times on my old "minitruck" Once to take it to get an exhaust put on, again when the crank angle sensor stopped working and motor wouldnt start and third time to get it towed to the auto elec for him to tell me it was the crank angle sensor that was stuffed.

I never realised but i never used a tow until my hilux had a VR V6 in it.

Used them three times, three different companies, three different guys, Three thumbs up.

Al
Alby1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-11-2008, 01:14 PM   #5
blur1
el wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by 86XFFairmont
what does everyone think of vehicle transporters e.g. Towies?

I am a towie myself and im also very into modified and hot cars, none of my mates will use neone else unless i suggest them to as im either busy or such but ive been into cars pretty well since my first match box and every car i tow or "transport" i take the utmost care with to not damage or jepardize the car in anyway, thats why i have a few of my own customers that no matter what company i was with they would follow wen i left but now im set at the company im at now and will not be leaving also our trucks are equipped to handle that type of work with air bag rear ends on the trucks and ramps, when i first started i didnt have that so i had to mahe do with wooden planks and that was it so ive learnt the hard way and not ever damaged a vehicle.

Would Love some feed back and opinions on this aswell and would be happy to ask any questions so feel free to ask. :
if i knew a good towie i could have used you a week ago.
where in melbs areas do you work?
what hours do you work?
can you go to a job if you are phoned up on your own phone?
blur1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-11-2008, 12:13 PM   #6
86XFFairmont
No Car Too Low Too Tow!

Quote:
Originally Posted by blur1
if i knew a good towie i could have used you a week ago.
where in melbs areas do you work?
what hours do you work?
can you go to a job if you are phoned up on your own phone?
lol well a week ago i was layed up in hosp but all better now goin back this or next week

all round melbourne mainly and if the money good enuff for the boss country vic too mate its a 24 hr service for the company but my self i work every day and every second night and every second wkend.

depends if im "on call" or not i mean if its a night off for me and i price it thru work then yeah but there couls be the occasional cash job that ill do but still goes thru work i just dont claim o/time on it as the boss dont mind as hes making money and i dont mind helping mates out so its a win/win situation
Old 17-11-2008, 01:18 PM   #7
falconboy
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I've only used a towie once, to transport a car from auction years ago. This very large, very mean looking 'New Zealand man' arrived. Ends up he was the most pleasant cheerie guy you'd ever meet. Unfortunately I've lost his business card. :(
Old 18-11-2008, 02:40 PM   #8
blur1
el wagon

Quote:
lol well a week ago i was layed up in hosp but all better now goin back this or next week

all round melbourne mainly and if the money good enuff for the boss country vic too mate its a 24 hr service for the company but my self i work every day and every second night and every second wkend.

depends if im "on call" or not i mean if its a night off for me and i price it thru work then yeah but there couls be the occasional cash job that ill do but still goes thru work i just dont claim o/time on it as the boss dont mind as hes making money and i dont mind helping mates out so its a win/win situation
ahh, good to know!
:
about how much would it have cost me a week ago on a monday night (midnight) from punt rd richmond to eltham?

you should p.m me your phone # so i have it when i need it?
Old 18-11-2008, 03:18 PM   #9
guzzis3
AU3 ute EL futura

The problem with tow truck drivers is they are dishonest. You may be an exception, but I've had a few "issues" with them over the years.

I had a crash 20 years ago, one of the drivers knew a school friend, as we got close to my home he added a "hook-up" fee to the fee we'd agreed on, no mention previously.

Got a quote to move a car. When we got to my place he tried to "revise" the quote cos he reckoned it was further than the switchboard had calculated on the trip.

The one that really got me though, and I will NEVER use Ready Towing or any of their associates:

I'd had a bike crash and I was pretty shaken. I went to call Gary's Towing, who are great, bikes only in Brisbane, the bloke from Ready tried to tell me it was illegal and that I had to use them. He was trying to exploit my vulnerable state and that p*s'd me off no end.

So, in my experience if you deal fairly with people you get a fair deal. If you treat people with contempt you'll find you get it back. I've had many good experiences with towies but I'm always suspicious of them and get everything sorted before hook up.
guzzis3 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-11-2008, 09:16 AM   #10
dusty86

it is illegal to get a tow for a crashed vehicle, there is different licences for different things, unless you can get it 1km away from teh accident site
dusty86 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-11-2008, 09:37 AM   #11
guzzis3
AU3 ute EL futura

Well I asked the cop standing 3 feet away and he said it was ok.

It was quite embarrassing actually. I guess when the word goes out a motorcyclist has been hit they just throw the book at it. I had fire trucks, ambulance and cops there in minutes. All I had was a broken bike and a sore foot. I was much more stressed over the trouble I caused everyone else (including the poor woman who hit me) than the prang.
Old 19-11-2008, 03:03 PM   #12
Gohan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

well its illegal for a non smash towie to tow a smashed car away

TT non smash
TOW smash truck i rember correctly
Old 19-11-2008, 03:11 PM   #13
guzzis3
AU3 ute EL futura

In queensland ?
Old 19-11-2008, 07:47 PM   #14
86XFFairmont
No Car Too Low Too Tow!

Quote:
Originally Posted by blur1
ahh, good to know!
:
about how much would it have cost me a week ago on a monday night (midnight) from punt rd richmond to eltham?

you should p.m me your phone # so i have it when i need it?
well being thats close to us to start u woulda been looking 110 to 120 + gst roughly tho
and pm ing ya now mate
Old 19-11-2008, 07:53 PM   #15
86XFFairmont
No Car Too Low Too Tow!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gohan
well its illegal for a non smash towie to tow a smashed car away

TT non smash
TOW smash truck i rember correctly
yeah mate thats correct, in melb u can not tow a accident damaged car/vehicle unless u have an allocation number from vicroads as they govern it, however if the vehicle is 2km or more from point of impact and u can prove it then anyone can tow it.

if ur found at the scene with out a allocation number or are in a tow truck other than a TOW plated truck you and your boss are up for 20 grand fines each (no i dont know from experience lol) just reading the rules and regs.
Old 19-11-2008, 09:59 PM   #16
JAZSXY
Parts Fiend

Quote:
yeah mate thats correct, in melb u can not tow a accident damaged car/vehicle unless u have an allocation number from vicroads as they govern it, however if the vehicle is 2km or more from point of impact and u can prove it then anyone can tow it.

if ur found at the scene with out a allocation number or are in a tow truck other than a TOW plated truck you and your boss are up for 20 grand fines each (no i dont know from experience lol) just reading the rules and regs.
Tow plates worth are in the 6 figures if you can get your hands on them. Passengers of TOW vehicles also have to have a TOW license to attend the accidents unless your a direct relative of the driver.

What company are you working for now mate?

frenzal56, falconxr, loosecannon, lima_been, bo5ton, Mardk, Chapter Four, leakey, POELWYK, Dman4.0, rayban76, tutor, PridenJoy, Aplito Futura, sbutler, Bosko, storta1, portokatsiki, AUte, 5.8, xxxg, FTW-302, LeadFoot81, Peuty, BillM, Sox, needfordspeed, watejs06, CATXR8
JAZSXY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-11-2008, 01:11 PM   #17
Gohan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

he works for Gardenstate towing
Old 20-11-2008, 01:42 PM   #18
86XFFairmont
No Car Too Low Too Tow!

yeah ben there for bout a year now and best company we cover stkilda sth yarra for smashes
Old 20-11-2008, 06:40 PM   #19
TOASTED
JMM modded EF

MATE U NEED TO SPONSOR THIS FORUM !!!!!!!!!!! (excuse the excessive enthuisiasm)

but seriously u would get heaps more business (if u need it) if u advertised on this forum correctly

aaaanyway good luck with things keep up the good work

Guess the alcohol tax is turning people to mind altering drugs.
I drive : A heavily modified EF Fairmont with a JMM dev5 cam, worked head, 3.5" mandrel bent intake, exhaust, and a few other bits n pieces like a stally etc.

"She goes like a zirtek"

WANT A FAST FORD RING THIS BLOKE V V

Abbott Engines for HeadWork
20 years experience
PH Rob on (07) 5526 3883
TOASTED is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-11-2008, 11:25 PM   #20
86XFFairmont
No Car Too Low Too Tow!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAZSXY
Tow plates worth are in the 6 figures if you can get your hands on them. Passengers of TOW vehicles also have to have a TOW license to attend the accidents unless your a direct relative of the driver.

What company are you working for now mate?

Are you a towie urself mate?
Old 20-11-2008, 11:27 PM   #21
86XFFairmont
No Car Too Low Too Tow!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOASTED
MATE U NEED TO SPONSOR THIS FORUM !!!!!!!!!!! (excuse the excessive enthuisiasm)

but seriously u would get heaps more business (if u need it) if u advertised on this forum correctly

aaaanyway good luck with things keep up the good work
yeah dont think the boss would say no wouldnt mind sum prices for that if someone could inform me
Old 28-11-2008, 11:06 PM   #22
86XFFairmont
No Car Too Low Too Tow!

bump........
Old 29-11-2008, 11:39 PM   #23
MotherNatureVer2
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

If your bumping about the sponsorship idea, I would suggest you send a private message to russellw.
MotherNatureVer2 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-11-2008, 08:37 AM   #24
blur1
el wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotherNature
If your bumping about the sponsorship idea, I would suggest you send a private message to russellw.
It's you're! : ...and why not assume he is bumping for the thread topic instead of jumping on the against the rules thing?
Old 06-12-2008, 01:01 PM   #25
86XFFairmont
No Car Too Low Too Tow!

thanks for the vote of confidence i was wanting more opinions on the topic