Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > OzECruisers (E/N/D Series) > OzECruisers General Discussions

OzECruisers General Discussions E/N/D vehicles General Discussion ONLY. NO TECH THREADS

Old 12-12-2008, 08:52 PM   #1
TickedEFSix

Default What's an EF XR8 going for these days?

Hey guys/girls... We have the opportunity to buy a manual XR8 with 130,000ks, factory bodykit, cruise, mags ect. The guy is selling it for $5,500 unregistered and unroadworthy or $7,500 roadworthy and registered.

The body appears to be straight with no visible rust. Does this seem like a good deal?

Theoretical question:
Would you trade in a MK1 BA XT for it- or would you hold on to the XT?

TickedEFSix is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-12-2008, 09:10 PM   #2
Peuty
Afterburner + skids =
Donating Member1

Mmmm depends on what you want mate. Me personally, I would go the XR, only cos I am a sucker for that shape, plus the old Windsor in EF form responds quite well to the right mods, whereas to me, a BA XT is the most boring car I could imagine.

For 5.5k though, it should be registered with a roadworthy. You can buy an AU1 XR8 for around 8 -9k these days WITH rego.

Oo\===/oO
Peuty is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-12-2008, 09:19 PM   #3
Professor Farnsworth
Fossil fuel consumer

Location: Mod For: Pub, Bar, Sales Yard, Show 'N Shine, Photoshop, AU to BF, FG to FGX, Territory & Sports Bar
Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Many years of valuable contributions to the forum, including some superb build threads. 

too expensive, most likely due to low km. I'd hold onto the BA if i were you, it's quicker, smoother and most likely at this stage more reliable. Argument could go on for years though.
Professor Farnsworth is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-12-2008, 09:28 PM   #4
tex
Broken

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: With the exception of maybe HSE2, nobody writes a review like Texy. 

The curent market will pay, um, well, all things considered, about, maybe, approximately $1200. Yeh, that sound about right...............

11.4 @ 128, 1.88 60ft.
tex is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-12-2008, 10:44 PM   #5
DEVL-XR
EBII XR6

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech article(s) 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tex
The curent market will pay, um, well, all things considered, about, maybe, approximately $1200. Yeh, that sound about right...............
I'd be asking whats wrong with it if an EF XR8 was selling for $1200.

If the car is in good condition body wise, interior wise and engine/driveline wise, then $5500 is good in my opinion, only low K's too. I'd be telling him to include the roady and rego with that tho. But I do have to wonder why he wants another 2 grand for a roady and rego.
Old 12-12-2008, 10:53 PM   #6
private9
www.TUFFCARPARTS.com

2k for roady and rego sounds sus - especially since it's unregistered. Begs the questions, is it a repaired write off that needs VIV etc. I'd grab the VIN and do a VSR check.

Personally 7.5 on the road is way too much!
private9 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-12-2008, 10:55 PM   #7
Sorted
OzEcruisers PRESIDENT

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: For all the contributions you make to the AFF community. 

I woud be asking what it needs for RWC @ $1,500

Unroadworty and UnReg $5,500 - Roadworthy and Reg $7,500

Plus:- Manual, Low Klms and V8cyl
Minus:- Its not an EL XR8 ie Hasnt got the best nose if its an EF IMO

What colour is it?

Maybe aks the owner to take it for a RWC and you will pay for it $60 or something to see what it actually needs for RWC or if he has already done that get a copy

If it has any Oil Leaks thats bad news as in cost wise

Tuned by DYNOMOTIVE

200BUX - AFF Drag Nats 2019 EF Wagon
Quote:
Originally Posted by rednose View Post
Common knowledge that the more weight you take out of the car the less power you need to run the time.
Sorted is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-12-2008, 11:01 PM   #8
fiery
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I was offered an EL XR8 (low klms) for $7,000 and am still considering it, the only thing that puts me off is the colour. I like the colour but I prefer white :

It sounds like a pretty good deal to me in one way but I would have to wonder why 2 grand with RWC and Rego. Seriously tell him you will pay those costs if he does it, or get it without.
As has been said, ask what it needs for roadworthy and then make your mind from that.

If you are unsure you are being told the complete truth, get someone (mechanic) to check it over.

I have been watching the prices and they range (for EF or EL XR8s - manual) from $5000 to $7000, seems to depend on colour.

What colour is the one you are interested in?
fiery is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-12-2008, 11:08 PM   #9
TickedEFSix

Hmm... I paid $5000 for my EF XR6 un-roadworthy.. I guess the prices here (FNQ) are jacked up more than other places.

I don't know what it needs for a roadworthy- We'll get to test drive it tomorrow.

It's red.
Old 12-12-2008, 11:14 PM   #10
fiery
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Well I won't comment on the colour :

Realistically, the price you pay is what the car will be worth to you. But I would be extremely interested in knowing why on earth an extra 2grand for a RWC & Rego.

You can look at 5 for sale down this end of QLD and all will be completely differently priced. I think it comes down to being simply what the person selling feels they are worth.

Take some pics and share

Good luck with whatever you decide to do.
fiery is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-12-2008, 05:04 AM   #11
JADED6
V8 Ghia & BF2 XR6 + Wagon

Definitely need to find out why they're asking 2k for RWC & rego.

If you crave a V8 then go for it. (I'm considering the opposite ED V8 to BA 6 for family reasons. My 2.5 year old daughter told Mum that Dads car is a "bit noisy")

Love the EF/EL Tickford bodykit.
For what it's worth, isn't the EF XR8 165kw and the BA I6 182kw??
Old 13-12-2008, 08:24 AM   #12
vegabass
BASS ON BOARD!

Bah. I picked up my manual EL XR6 for cents and doing a full reco on the head, new bits and pieces to make it roadworthy and the cost of rego I havent even spent half of 5k and its quicker than the said EF XR8. oh and its easy to chaange a cluster dont always believe the kms on it.

catch a train down south and pick up a good EL for 5k and drive it home. you will save 2k.

but post up the pics and we might have a different opinion.
Old 13-12-2008, 05:57 PM   #13
TickedEFSix

We're giving it a miss. It didn't feel like it had much more power than our EF XR6 + the paint was really bad (peeling through to the clear coat along the sides of the doors on the spoiler and along the boot) Seats in the back were in okay condition but the fronts were ripped in places and there was a large crack in the panel at the front. Overall very disappointing indeed.

Old 13-12-2008, 06:27 PM   #14
Peuty
Afterburner + skids =
Donating Member1

Probably a wise decision giving that one a miss mate.

Oo\===/oO
Peuty is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-12-2008, 07:28 PM   #15
Sorted
OzEcruisers PRESIDENT

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: For all the contributions you make to the AFF community. 

Looks good in the pic BUT sounds like it has not been looked after, who knows what else will go wrong with it in the near future and then add to all that you have another $2,000 for RWC and REG and who knows that may be a guess by the seller on how much to get a RWC

Tuned by DYNOMOTIVE

200BUX - AFF Drag Nats 2019 EF Wagon
Quote:
Originally Posted by rednose View Post
Common knowledge that the more weight you take out of the car the less power you need to run the time.
Sorted is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post