Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Closed Thread

Old 21-09-2011, 12:41 PM   #451
Falc'man
You dig, we stick!

Default Re: FG Falcon MKII

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMGC63
Sounds fully hektic.. Never in my life have i seen so much fuss over freakin headlights and tail lights...

Im more interested in the actual content, quality and functionality of the vehicle.
Wayne, you're on the money as per the norm. People need to remember it's just a MkII update, and considering the amount of dollars they've thrown at engineering 3 new motors (4 if you include Miami), in addition to the new Territory and FGII's content, it's not a bad effort. Going off the amount of gloom surrounding Falcon's sales I'm actually pleased with the MkII to update.
Old 21-09-2011, 01:28 PM   #452
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

I think the tail light comments simply revolve around what would be conceived as good bang for ya buck in terms of differentiation from the FG1.

Just the same as they did for BF. Now that was a pretty simple solution but it worked, I would have thought LED's across the range would lower the cost a bit instead of having them on say high series and FPV's.

Simple as that.

Also I think its worth mentioning that Ford are notorious as over engineering things, and by that I mean things that consumers would not perhaps pick up on if they were not told. Sometimes its the finer detail, that people who want substance and engineering excellence will over look. Its these things, call them gimmicks if you want, that help sell cars. It works for Holden.
Old 21-09-2011, 01:32 PM   #453
RAPID_BA
Banned

which set of headlights will be more upmarket? FG or FG2

If there is no change to rear taillights, the altezza family will be licking their lips designing their own set
Old 21-09-2011, 01:45 PM   #454
Rodge
Banned

I see the new Focus titanium gets the option of adaptive cruise control and xenon headlights, would love that tech in a Falcon, sigh..can't help wondering when, (or should that be if) this type of tech will eventually appear on an Australian made Falcon ?
Old 21-09-2011, 01:47 PM   #455
AcidTrip

Quote:
Originally Posted by HULK_BA
which set of headlights will be more upmarket? FG or FG2

If there is no change to rear taillights, the altezza family will be licking their lips designing their own set
Not really such a thing as upmarket on the FG2 in my honest opinion. As I said in an earlier comment, the projectors on the inside edge of the headlight makes it look cross-eyed. Combined it with the big gaping "oh" that is the front bumper opening and the FG2 looks like a prison ***** coping it for the first time without lube.

And very few cars look good with Altezza's, and the Falcon certainly isn't one of them. The only car that looks good with Altezza style lights is, believe it or not, the Lexus Altezza.

My 2c. Flame away!
Old 21-09-2011, 01:50 PM   #456
gtfpv
GT

hmmmmm . i'm not bagging people here . but i cant understand the wan- factor of lights . to me they are the things you turn on when it gets dark . the last thing i would put emphasis on is tail lights . i think the current shape of the tail lights and headlights really suit the FG . IF THESE ARE THE THINGS THAT THE HATERS AND NAYSAYERS ARE BAGGING THEN THE CAR ITSELF MUST BE pretty good .
i'm surprised at the petty things that are currently good , that people are putting emphasis on and highlighting as "must be changed " . surely things like comfort , interior quality , ergonomic interior quality and dashbourd highlights,sound, and ride. outweigh headlight and tail light shape . the curent headlight and tail lights define the falcon and give it its exterior attraction now , and compliment the chassis charactoristics , mucking around with them could easily give it a JAP MITSIBISHI LOOK straight out of the box .
Old 21-09-2011, 02:00 PM   #457
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtfpv
hmmmmm . i'm not bagging people here . but i cant understand the wan- factor of lights . to me they are the things you turn on when it gets dark . the last thing i would put emphasis on is tail lights . i think the current shape of the tail lights and headlights really suit the FG . IF THESE ARE THE THINGS THAT THE HATERS AND NAYSAYERS ARE BAGGING THEN THE CAR ITSELF MUST BE pretty good .
i'm surprised at the petty things that are currently good , that people are putting emphasis on and highlighting as "must be changed " . surely things like comfort , interior quality , ergonomic interior quality and dashbourd highlights,sound, and ride. outweigh headlight and tail light shape . the curent headlight and tail lights define the falcon and give it its exterior attraction now , and compliment the chassis charactoristics , mucking around with them could easily give it a JAP MITSIBISHI LOOK straight out of the box .
Yes, you, I and motoring enthusiasts would naturally prefer substance...but substance does not always equal sales. If that was the case the AU would have be a roaring success.

This theory also reflects how what we could call "crap cars" actually sell, its not always about the raw figures.

No one was asking for sheet metal change, or even a differently shaped light, we know that costs $$$. It was the reflectors or progress towards LEDs that would have been "nice".

It would also just be another thing to brag about, and thats what this game is about, first aussie manufacturer with LED's across the range. Not a headlining act, but simply another thing to talk about that from the outside would seem like an easy job.
Old 21-09-2011, 02:01 PM   #458
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

They shoudl have put the projectors on the outside on the FG2...

It would have looked way better!!

Oh well.
Old 21-09-2011, 03:02 PM   #459
fg_nitro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polyal

No one was asking for sheet metal change, or even a differently shaped light, we know that costs $$$. It was the reflectors or progress towards LEDs that would have been "nice".

What would be nice if they improved the build quality (fit and finish) and remove some of the cheapness.
Old 21-09-2011, 03:47 PM   #460
dimka100
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

What is the difference between normal FG headlights and Projector FG headlights?
Old 21-09-2011, 03:49 PM   #461
AMGC63
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by dimka100
What is the difference between normal FG headlights and Projector FG headlights?
They're not as "fooly Sick yo" apparently...
Old 21-09-2011, 03:51 PM   #462
AMGC63
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtfpv
hmmmmm . i'm not bagging people here . but i cant understand the wan- factor of lights . to me they are the things you turn on when it gets dark .
Amen...
Old 21-09-2011, 06:57 PM   #463
Bobman
Regulator

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMGC63
Sounds fully hektic.. Never in my life have i seen so much fuss over freakin headlights and tail lights...
Well it works on AMGs. BMW and Mercedes have made a huge fuss over LED tail lights and HID head lights, haven't they?

When you look at other vehicle manufacturers utilising modern lighting technology, traffic lights being changed over to LED at a rapid rate and emergency vehicles standardising LED lights on their fleet, of course it's relevant.

Current Cars:
2000 AU2 Fairmont (2019-current)
2003 BA1 Falcon Divvy Van (2017-current)
2009 VW Mk6 Golf 118TSi (2020-current)
Previous Cars:
2003 MCX10R Avalon VXi (2017-2020)
1995 EF1 Falcon GLi (2016-2019)
1997 XH2 Falcon Van OPT20 (2016-2019)
2006 BF Fairlane Ghia (2013-2018)
2001 AU3 Futura (2010-2013)
1996 EL Fairmont (2008-2010)
2004 BA XR6 (2005-2008)
2001 AU2 Forte (2005-2006)
1988 EA Fairmont Ghia (2003-2005)
1984 AR Telstar TX5 Ghia (2001-2005)
Old 21-09-2011, 07:06 PM   #464
AMGC63
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobman
Well it works on AMGs. BMW and Mercedes have made a huge fuss over LED tail lights and HID head lights, haven't they?

When you look at other vehicle manufacturers utilising modern lighting technology, traffic lights being changed over to LED at a rapid rate and emergency vehicles standardising LED lights on their fleet, of course it's relevant.
Just because they have them doesnt mean that's why people bought them...
Old 21-09-2011, 07:12 PM   #465
Bobman
Regulator

So why did people buy them? Show off the badge? Too much money?

Even Mazda 3 has had LED tail lights for a few years now.

All that aside, the main area where FG needs to improve is, as noted, interior quality and general fit & finish. All Ford need to do is read the "FG What Problems Have You Had?" thread to see where they can improve the car.

Current Cars:
2000 AU2 Fairmont (2019-current)
2003 BA1 Falcon Divvy Van (2017-current)
2009 VW Mk6 Golf 118TSi (2020-current)
Previous Cars:
2003 MCX10R Avalon VXi (2017-2020)
1995 EF1 Falcon GLi (2016-2019)
1997 XH2 Falcon Van OPT20 (2016-2019)
2006 BF Fairlane Ghia (2013-2018)
2001 AU3 Futura (2010-2013)
1996 EL Fairmont (2008-2010)
2004 BA XR6 (2005-2008)
2001 AU2 Forte (2005-2006)
1988 EA Fairmont Ghia (2003-2005)
1984 AR Telstar TX5 Ghia (2001-2005)
Old 21-09-2011, 07:13 PM   #466
WASP
Whipple Induced

The design of the lighting features on vehicles is becoming like automotive jewellery these days. In the sales scheme of things I don’t think they are a deal breaking features but they are a sales influencer in terms of vehicle presentation and style. Personally I am very interested in head and tail light design. In fact the way the entire vehicle is illuminated interests me. For example, the lighting treatment on the current Aston Martin’s is like looking at functional art. Even the rear LED lighting design on back of our humble HSV is quite appealing (not the front LED's however). Lighting design has been an area that Ford (AUS) tend to take a very practical approach to. While it always appears to function well, their lighting treatment and design can sometimes detract from the vehicles visual/consumer appeal and make it harder to differentiate between models.
Old 21-09-2011, 08:45 PM   #467
4.0i_SiX
SiX_iN_a_RoW

As much as I dont want to say it, because I am so pleased that there is actually a Mark II Falcon at all. But....does that screen look like its a complete after thought and just sticks out of nowhere?
Old 21-09-2011, 09:19 PM   #468
malazn mafia
Boss 335

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4.0i_SiX
As much as I dont want to say it, because I am so pleased that there is actually a Mark II Falcon at all. But....does that screen look like its a complete after thought and just sticks out of nowhere?
Looks just at home to me. Actually its about 8 years too late.. when I first saw the BA interior I assumed the ICC was touch screen back then
Old 22-09-2011, 12:17 AM   #469
NanoDuke
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4.0i_SiX
It doesn't look any different to the current screen to me...
Old 22-09-2011, 12:24 AM   #470
SlowF6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by russellw
[/IMG]
Love it! Would trade in anyday

Daily
2005 Ford BF Fairlane
SVI Injected LPG. Sunroof. G8 rims.

Weekender
2010 FPV F6 build #89
Process West stage 1 intercooler. Plazmaman stage 2 piping kit, turbo side intake, battery relocation, P1 BOV and surge tank. Atomic valve springs and oil pump. Xforce 4" exhaust. 1000cc injectors. Shockworks coilovers, Staggered 20" V-30. 377rwkw Pitlane

Planned mods: V8 bonnet, Sunroof.

Previous rides:
2008 FG G6E Turbo
1992 Nissan 300ZX TT
2003 BA Fairmont Ghia
Old 22-09-2011, 12:27 AM   #471
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Has anyone seen pics of the "cyber carbon" interior? Is that like the old FPV spec finish?

I only just noticed it in the above pic.
Old 22-09-2011, 06:07 AM   #472
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I am currently driving a Chevy Impala LT, which is similar to a G6,( LTZ is G6E) and has more features !! eg..oil life monitor, tyre pressure monitor, compass (don't know why), doors lock when drive engaged, dual zone aircon(only on G6E) the "slab" woodgrain dash looks better than satin spears{my opinion)77l fuel tank, could be a few more, not found!! FORD Aus needs to making the G6 and G6E more "up market than the XT. In reality, the G6 and G6E aren't much different to XT.Just a few goodies added.
I know, some guys here will disagree, but thats my opinion.
Cars on the road here !! Its a bit scary at 70mph and an F350 comes up behind you or a Dodge Ram..Americans love their trucks!!! Great seeing Mustangs, Dodge Chargers everywhere!!!! New Fiesta and Focus are here too..
Then there's the car ads, which we would never see here, drifting Honda Acuras, MB C Class doing burnouts, when going from the 4 door to the 2 door model.
Petrol here is $3.90 a gallon!! See ya !!
Old 22-09-2011, 06:30 AM   #473
NanoDuke
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I'm not sure about having a oil monitor (unless it gives extra features like temperature/pressure), just a km reading seems like more clutter for the cluster, like a compass as you mentioned. Just take note of the odometer when you replace your oil.

My FG XR6 has auto locking doors as a feature. Surely it's standard for all other FG flavours.

And some would argue that the extra tank capacity would just add more weight to the car, or decrease space somewhere.
Old 22-09-2011, 07:40 AM   #474
4.0i_SiX
SiX_iN_a_RoW

Quote:
Originally Posted by NanoDuke
It doesn't look any different to the current screen to me...

Really? looks nothing alike to me, Dont get me wrong its going to be a big improvement and well overdue, just looks a little odd imo

Old 22-09-2011, 08:48 AM   #475
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by NanoDuke
I'm not sure about having a oil monitor (unless it gives extra features like temperature/pressure), just a km reading seems like more clutter for the cluster, like a compass as you mentioned. Just take note of the odometer when you replace your oil.

My FG XR6 has auto locking doors as a feature. Surely it's standard for all other FG flavours.

And some would argue that the extra tank capacity would just add more weight to the car, or decrease space somewhere.
Drivers info panel on Impala
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DIQQSRomqkA
Old 22-09-2011, 09:06 AM   #476
Cashie
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Multiple helpful contributions throughout the tech area. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by csv8
Drivers info panel on Impala
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DIQQSRomqkA
That looks crap. I think the FG totally has it all over that .. How can the yanks market a car that looks like it came out of the 80s? The dash trim is appalling.

Past Rides:
2017 Kia Stinger GT
2008 FG XR6 Sedan
2008 FG G6E Sedan
2004 BA XR8 Sedan
2008 BF XR6 Turbo Sedan
2004 BA XR8 Sedan
2003 BA XR8 Ute
2003 BA XR6 Sedan
Old 22-09-2011, 09:56 AM   #477
ltd
Force Fed Fords

Quote:
Originally Posted by csv8
I am currently driving a Chevy Impala LT, which is similar to a G6,( LTZ is G6E) and has more features !! eg..oil life monitor, tyre pressure monitor, compass (don't know why), doors lock when drive engaged, dual zone aircon(only on G6E) the "slab" woodgrain dash looks better than satin spears{my opinion)77l fuel tank, could be a few more, not found!! FORD Aus needs to making the G6 and G6E more "up market than the XT. In reality, the G6 and G6E aren't much different to XT.Just a few goodies added.
I know, some guys here will disagree, but thats my opinion.
Cars on the road here !! Its a bit scary at 70mph and an F350 comes up behind you or a Dodge Ram..Americans love their trucks!!! Great seeing Mustangs, Dodge Chargers everywhere!!!! New Fiesta and Focus are here too..
Then there's the car ads, which we would never see here, drifting Honda Acuras, MB C Class doing burnouts, when going from the 4 door to the 2 door model.
Petrol here is $3.90 a gallon!! See ya !!

You do realise that the oil life monitor is based on kilometres since the last change don't you? Similar to the EF falcon and the little spanner that used to light up on the bonnet in the instrument display. Every time you do an oil change it gets reset. Ford USA has the same thing in their cars.
The compass is a GM thing they have borrowed from their 4x4 range, useful for offroading, a bit of a ****stravaganza on road, especially given that the factory GPS on the G6E has a compass rose on it anyway. I suppose it appeals to Americans who want to make sure they don't step off the planet (ie, leave America and end up in Mexico or Canada).
Different products suit different demographics; can you imagine an American cupholder in an Australian car? I mean like the ones to hold 3 litre bottles of soda pop, or watered down ****-weak coffee.

Nevertheless, as someone who frequents America often, my advice to you mate is watch out for the atrocious American tucker, you'll soon be reaching for the Rennie or the Nexium.

Just a parting thought too mate, just remember one thing in America.
If all the women in America were laid end to end.................. I wouldn't be surprised.

As for the MkII G6E-T, love it and the Aston grille on the bottom. I think this will be one hell of a good car.

Quote: