Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Ford Car Clubs > Ford Coupe Club of Australia > Coupe Restoration & Build

Old 31-08-2009, 07:11 PM   #91
Geez Louise
Awesome

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: All the behind the scenes things that help the community. 

WOW Gary...sounds like you and I will have more than a few camp fire stories to tell in Echuca...The amount of bad luck I have had this week...but anyway...back to you...What happened? I am curious too! How did you fix the problem??
Old 01-09-2009, 05:25 PM   #92
fatasslandau
the money box

i won't give it away but it was in true gary fashion and don't forget the pics gaz
fatasslandau is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-09-2009, 06:59 PM   #93
Geez Louise
Awesome

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: All the behind the scenes things that help the community. 

Well... I for one am waiting with baited breath....so come on! Fill us in!! What did o'mighty sleuth sayer work out in the end? Not fair you guys keep me and others waiting....And yes Gary...I did check Facebook before replying incase you had filled everyone else in!
Old 03-09-2009, 07:40 PM   #94
fatasslandau
the money box

i would love to tell you all but ........................ hurry up and tell gaz
Old 04-09-2009, 07:53 PM   #95
Ozzyosko
Another stroked coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by MEANXBCOUPE
D'oh. the core leaks....
Couldnt get a good second hand one, so $200 later i now have a new old stock core and some nice fittings. at least it doesnt leak.
Is there something wrong with these cheaper heater cores off ebay? They look ok, could've saved yourself some coin.

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/FORD-FALCON-X...d=p3286.c0.m14
Ozzyosko is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-09-2009, 09:22 PM   #96
ianxy351
more cubes please...

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Sharing his technical knowledge with members. 

Gary, I too could be interested in your heater core fittings. Any chance of posting some photos?

Ian
1967 FJ40 Landcruiser 'Rusty'
ianxy351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-09-2009, 07:16 PM   #97
MEANXBCOUPE
injection is nice, but...

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing the Helicoil article 

Ok guys, well, i shot myself in the foot.
I was going to post a few photos, but ive just found out my "repaired" laptop doesnt have usb's still and now the card reader doesnt work so i cant down load the photos... F#$k im getting sick of this...

Anyhow.
as soon as i can get sorted, ill post photos of the heater hose ends. For those interesed, they will fit a 5/8 copper or brass pipe (std falcon size) and a dash 8 earls ( or similar) fitting. they are silver soldered or soft soldered on. Could do a dash 10 if required, although i dont think they will fit through the standard fire wall holes.

As for the answer to my question. it was supposed to be a photo of the new dizzy, oh well.
Basically what happened was that i made the original dizzy almost 10 years ago, and since then, the rotor button has been discontinued, you can still buy the cap. Both were Accel parts. After a fair amount of mucking about trying to source one (rotor), i went to Rocket industries and brought an MSD cap and rotor button ( the most commonly used ford style one!) and scratch made a new dizzy, making things slightly better from lessons learned in the old one.
So whats different??
1. i can limit total advance without pulling the dizzy apart.(not the curve)
2. i can lock the advance (set the initial and have no advance)
3 new and improved belt tensioning system
4. the extension arm from the original dizzy position to the new one is 20mm longer ( to allow for the larger cap to clear the blower) and now billet aluminium instead of steel.
5 dizzy shaft is now center ground stainless steel versus turned high carbon steel.
6 easier to adjust the air gap of the induction rotor to pick up.
7 looks bloody cool!!
8. had to change leads to match the new cap :

im a little ****ed off i cant show some photos, cause im real happy how it came out, mind you there is a good 30 hours machine work in it.

Overall i think it will be a better ignition system ( untill the new motor comes along, then im going coil on plug).

OZZYOSKO, yep probably could have saved some cash, didnt think to check ebay :togo: . mine is a genuine ford one.

So, things ive done this week:
Lachlans birthday party on Sunday!
Traceys birthday on monday.!
Lachlans birthday on Wednesday.!
Booked a renter car to go to Echuca ( were going in my brothers ute but that kind of fell through)
Booked a trailer for Echuca.

Heater box back in and painted to match the interior ( prev black) hoses made and new stainless heater pipes in.

Brought two VH 40 remote boosters for the brakes, all new brake lines almost 8 meters of them!, as the boosters are under the rear compartment. Ive put the brake fail switch in line too, and wired it up, but no light on the dash yet cause im thinking how to do it! may need to make an aluminium insert for the lights as the instrument cluster is trimmed and i worried the drill bit will grab the material and make quite a mess! not too sure if ill have time before Echuca..Oh yeah had to drill and tap the rear carby for a vacuum take off for the boosters as well. this also required a hose to the boosters in the back of the car. i ran these inside the car while most of the interior is out.

Seems i had the carbs off i took the blower off to sort out a small oil leak out of the snout. A new seal sorted this out in no time!

Good thing i did, cause next weekend i was going to pull out the motor to fix an oil leak out of the rear main, turns out the oil was comming from the back of the manifold. only a small leak but it needed fixing. a little sikaflex and she's good to go!.

Blower back on, carbs on, re-route the fuel lines to clear the new heater hoses, thermo and front drive back together ( needed to pull the front off the motor to tighten the heater hoses on their adaptors to the motor).

So whats left before Echuca??

Throttle cable back on, wire a plug on the new dizzy, find the clip that holds the vacuum advance arm on the secondaries ( it went flying across the garage when i took the base off the carby to drill and tap for the vacuum on the booster!!), make up some new ignition leads (the new cap has the male spark plug ends and a retainer plate), bleed the brakes and put the interior back together.re install ti stereo and monitor

fire it up!

12 days till Echuca!
MEANXBCOUPE is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-09-2009, 07:27 PM   #98
cowboy
Cowboy

I am so very very annoyed. I have been wanting to see you coupe in the flesh ever since I saw it on here but I'm away for work at the moment and wont be back in time. But the real kicker is, I bloody live in Echuca!! Would have happily supplied secure shedding to anyone who needed it the night before/after the show too. Bugger eh!
1930 Pontiac Landaulet
1932 Pontiac V8 sedan
1935 Pontiac sedan
1937 Pontiac 8 sedan
1948 Pontiac silver streak
1949 Ford F3 pickup
1953 Pontiac Chieftain
1955 Austin Champ
1957 Dodge Power Wagon
1967 Jeep Gladiator
1975 TD Cortina
1978 F100 4x4
2006 GU Patrol ute
cowboy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-09-2009, 07:48 PM   #99
MEANXBCOUPE

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing the Helicoil article 

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatasslandau
for those of you that havn't seen this car in real life you are definatly in for a suprise. the amount of work and persistance that gaz has put into it is to be commended .the quality and gary's abilility is freakish. all those attending echuca will know what i mean
Jesus Colin, you been doing some boozing or what!!
Old 06-09-2009, 07:50 PM   #100
MEANXBCOUPE

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowboy
I am so very very annoyed. I have been wanting to see you coupe in the flesh ever since I saw it on here but I'm away for work at the moment and wont be back in time. But the real kicker is, I bloody live in Echuca!! Would have happily supplied secure shedding to anyone who needed it the night before/after the show too. Bugger eh!
too bad mate, and you live in Echuca too
Old 06-09-2009, 09:03 PM   #101
fatasslandau
the money box

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowboy
aaahhhhh what a kick in the guts
Old 06-09-2009, 09:05 PM   #102
fatasslandau
the money box

Quote:
Jesus Colin, you been doing some boozing or what!!
beer is good
Old 08-09-2009, 10:36 PM   #103
Geez Louise
Awesome

You gonna have it done it time Gary?? 10 days to go...
Old 09-09-2009, 02:08 AM   #104
Big Mike
Acid Rush XB Coupe

I hope so - I really wanna see this thing!
Old 09-09-2009, 10:31 AM   #105
MEANXBCOUPE

Well its the morning of the 9th, and ive now given up all hope of having it registered, so that writes of a DECA performance and the observation run. its gunna be close boys and girls, its still not running, and wont be tuned in any shapeor form.
But it will be there, even if i have to push it on the trailer, we've got too much money invested in the trip allready. Both hire car and trailer are payed for ( about $1500 worth + extra km's=$1750) and lodgment ect.
I and the coupe WILL be there.

Colin would kill me if i didnt go.
Imagine a childs exitment the day before christmas, FATASS has being is this state for the last 6 months!!!

And speaking of Ol' Fatbum, thanks for the wiper arm clip mate! your a champ.
Old 09-09-2009, 06:48 PM   #106
fatasslandau
the money box

mmmmmm gary's xb ' beer ' heaps of coupes'' echuca....aaaaaaaaahhhhhhhh
Old 14-09-2009, 12:36 PM   #107
MEANXBCOUPE

Coupe is now in one piece!
90% happy. may re bleed the brakes, dunno.
The interior has some scuffs, but not too big a deal, half of it will be headded for the tip after we get back!
Motor runs but isnt tuned, also not a big deal, i cant run at DECA, no rego :

Now for the big clean up...
Old 28-09-2009, 10:47 AM   #108
MEANXBCOUPE

We're back from Echuca.
Have been for a week.
Coupes locked in the garage.
Havent been in there for a peek.

So we are back and im getting a plan of attack together.
First off is clear out the credit card!!!
Next is put a new shifter in the car. i dont like the one ive got, think its a speco thomas? it seems to self center on 1-2 gear instead of 3-4. had a look and it seems thats the way its made. so im rebuilding the original ford toploader shifter.

Gotta pull the motor too as there was a small leak comming from the back somewhere, thought id fixed it, but i havent. going to pull the motor to check it out.

Next will be adding a few warning lights to the dash for rego, brake fail ect.

Then pull the back of the car out for the buckets in the back.

Does anyone make new seat belt sets for coupes yet as the harness's will have to go?
Old 28-09-2009, 05:42 PM   #109
fatasslandau
the money box

hey gaz shouldn't paully [madxb] be fixing the oil leak
Old 28-09-2009, 05:44 PM   #110
fatasslandau
the money box

let me know if you need a hand...i'm good at pulling things apart putting back together well thats another story
Old 28-09-2009, 06:05 PM   #111
Auslandau
335 - STILL THE BOSS ...

Quote:
Does anyone make new seat belt sets for coupes yet as the harness's will have to go?
Bursons have them now for the coupe .... including the proper extension for the hanging bit (tech speak)
http://www.burson.com.au/

| [/url] |

101,436 MEMBERS ......... 101,436 OPINIONS ..... What could possibly go wrong!

Clevo Mafia
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Auslandau is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-10-2009, 11:38 AM   #112
MEANXBCOUPE

oooh technical jargon

Thanks for that dave.
Old 01-10-2009, 11:40 AM   #113
MEANXBCOUPE

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatasslandau
let me know if you need a hand...i'm good at pulling things apart putting back together well thats another story
Thanks mate. i'll get back to you, think i'll let it sit for a while. You must come over and do some beer tasting.
Old 01-10-2009, 06:55 PM   #114
fatasslandau
the money box

Quote:
Thanks mate. i'll get back to you, think i'll let it sit for a while. You must come over and do some beer tasting.
ooohhhh that's a tuff one mmmmmmmmmm beer :
Old 04-10-2009, 05:21 PM   #115
MEANXBCOUPE

if anyone has fotos of an original ford XB-XC toploader shifter, could they please post them up.
I would like to see how and where the neutral plane return spring fits. mine has been missing since i got the GT many years ago. the box has been in the gt, an XD an XE and now this car. I put a speco thomas shifter in it that i got new, but now ive driven it a few kays i hate it. it returns to the 1-2 slot instead of 3-4, making the 2-3 gear change very(read sometime impossible) hard.
So the factory shifter is in for a rebuild. its been media blasted and then i welded up the forks and machined them bach to get the slop out, made up some stainless bushes instead of the rubber ones, but as i said, it had no return spring since ive had it and for the life of me i cant figure it out. i brought a new one from GT ford performance, so its a repro, thinking it might not be a good one?

Even a exploded view foto from a manual would be tops.
Old 04-10-2009, 05:51 PM   #116
gtxb67
moderator ford coupe club

this thread may help you gary
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11223375
gtxb67 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-10-2009, 01:29 AM   #117
spannerman

Quote:

Hey Gary

These guys did my belts in my coupe and did a good job that is if you have a original set to restore

http://www.seatbeltsolutions.com.au/

Matt
spannerman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-10-2009, 11:21 AM   #118
XBCoupeNZ
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
if anyone has fotos of an original ford XB-XC toploader shifter, could they please post them up.
I would like to see how and where the neutral plane return spring fits. mine has been missing since i got the GT many years ago. the box has been in the gt, an XD an XE and now this car. I put a speco thomas shifter in it that i got new, but now ive driven it a few kays i hate it. it returns to the 1-2 slot instead of 3-4, making the 2-3 gear change very(read sometime impossible) hard.
So the factory shifter is in for a rebuild. its been media blasted and then i welded up the forks and machined them bach to get the slop out, made up some stainless bushes instead of the rubber ones, but as i said, it had no return spring since ive had it and for the life of me i cant figure it out. i brought a new one from GT ford performance, so its a repro, thinking it might not be a good one?

Even a exploded view foto from a manual would be tops.
To be honest - I really have no idea what you're talking about. Never ever seen a toploader, but I found this and thuoght it 'might' be useful.

http://www.classictiger.com/techtips...dr/topldr3.jpg

"Target acquired .... target engaged ..... TARGET ANGRY!!!"
XBCoupeNZ is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-10-2009, 01:04 PM   #119
MEANXBCOUPE

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtxb67
Thank you very much, youve solved the problem.
The spring goes were i thought it did, i didnt want to jam it in thought.
Thanks again
Old 05-10-2009, 01:05 PM   #120
MEANXBCOUPE

Quote:
Originally Posted by XBCoupeNZ
To be honest - I really have no idea what you're talking about. Never ever seen a toploader, but I found this and thuoght it 'might' be useful.

http://www.classictiger.com/techtips...dr/topldr3.jpg
Thanks for that, although it looks like a mustang shifter, a little bit different, but thanks for helping.