Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Closed Thread

Old 23-06-2008, 11:14 PM   #31
JG66ME
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Great tech articles and assistance to all in the Classics arena. 

All I can say is that the ones on my BA XR are not worth a pinch of nanny goat in fog, rain or whatever. I never turn them on. Useless they are.

Law says they cannot be on, as they are useless I never turn them on. Low beam works best in fog.

Steve
Old 23-06-2008, 11:20 PM   #32
Rodp
Regular Schmuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by pejamas
When the rain is that bad that i have whippers on full blast and still cant see? don't really see how that's "stupid" to have the lights on so i can see somewhat better. I don't see how my opinion is worth squat and yours is though..
Are you seriously expecting anyone to believe that BA front fogs helped you see better in torrential rain? I had a BA for 4 years, I know how far the fogs project, if you relied on them at all to see infront of you in torrential rain, you would have hit whatever it was that the front fogs illuminated before you could have done anything about it.

Being one that's dazzled by fog lights, I'm all for the police enforcing it. If the rain is that bad, pull over.
Old 23-06-2008, 11:31 PM   #33
LUXO_8
windsor user

Quote:
Originally Posted by XCSEDAN
i think its probably a waste of time to have a law like that passed, i would much rather see my tax money spent else where.
LABOR! MAKING YOU PERFECT
joke of a government.

you do realise its been law for quite a few years now... :
Old 23-06-2008, 11:37 PM   #34
pejamas
VENMXR - 2003 BA XR6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodp
Are you seriously expecting anyone to believe that BA front fogs helped you see better in torrential rain? I had a BA for 4 years, I know how far the fogs project, if you relied on them at all to see infront of you in torrential rain, you would have hit whatever it was that the front fogs illuminated before you could have done anything about it.

Being one that's dazzled by fog lights, I'm all for the police enforcing it. If the rain is that bad, pull over.
I'm pretty sure high beams and fog lights are all going to improve visibility.. didn't realize this was going to turn into a storm. I always thought they were driving lights not fog lights ( pretty sure when i bought the car the for rep told me they were driving lights! ), and honestly never knew you couldn't have them on. Mind you i never have them on during the day or at night for no reason.

Think some of you are being a bit harsh saying I'm stupid for thinking they would help me see better.
Old 23-06-2008, 11:45 PM   #35
Rodp
Regular Schmuck

Quote:
Think some of you are being a bit harsh saying I'm stupid for thinking they would help me see better.
I never suggested that you were stupid for thinking they would help, just that they would allow you to see something for a very split second before you ran it over if you were relying on the fog light for vision in torrential rain.
Old 23-06-2008, 11:45 PM   #36
bangm001
Mopar! But Own F6's..

Quote:
I'm pretty sure high beams and fog lights are all going to improve visibility.. didn't realize this was going to turn into a storm. I always thought they were driving lights not fog lights ( pretty sure when i bought the car the for rep told me they were driving lights! ), and honestly never knew you couldn't have them on. Mind you i never have them on during the day or at night for no reason.

I was told the same thing, and I believe I read it somewhere in the owners manual, although im still working :-( so I cant check, if you have a spare minute, look in there for me.
I suppose if you were fined then obviously not, but im sure its hard printed in there somewhere..
Old 23-06-2008, 11:51 PM   #37
FGII-XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHATXR8
They are fog lights, not rain lights!
wrong they are called fog lights but the law states they can only be used in adverse weather conditions no mention of fog. heavy rain can reduce visibility too and fog lights are actuall legal for this situation ( in NSW at least)

"It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."

Start a new career as a bus driver

Rides:
FG2 XR6 stock at this stage but a very nice ride

xc 4 DOOR X CHASER 5.8 UNDER RESTO
Old 23-06-2008, 11:55 PM   #38
podderick
Starter Motor

they should have yellowy lenses in them ,then they might work in the fog and rain as the clear white light is totally useless in fog ,and yes its a pet hate of mine whilst driving at night ,all its takes is to turn them off at the switch :gren:
Old 23-06-2008, 11:56 PM   #39
bangm001
Mopar! But Own F6's..

Quote:
Originally Posted by au3xr6
wrong they are called fog lights but the law states they can only be used in adverse weather conditions no mention of fog. heavy rain can reduce visibility too and fog lights are actuall legal for this situation ( in NSW at least)
MMM interesting. Is there an actual write up of this law?
Old 23-06-2008, 11:58 PM   #40
One Drone
Lane HO

Fog lights are too bright as they reflect on the road into your eyes. Not sure about the law. But in comparison, BA-BF low beam in the rain would be heaven to EF-EL lights. Can't see anything!
Old 23-06-2008, 11:58 PM   #41
BA-Fan
Formerly SM0KED

I actually - disconnected them on my old XR6! never wanted to get caught using them!!!
Old 24-06-2008, 12:03 AM   #42
xy500
Constant annoyance

Quote:
Originally Posted by davez104
Your opinion ain't worth squat.

Dave.

(Puts flames suit on and waits patiently for backlash)
that was a harsh thing to say!
Old 24-06-2008, 12:37 AM   #43
kyro_02
V8 wannaabeee

my mate installed some foglights which are always on when the headlight is on, they are bright bright yellow, rediculous. I told him the cops wont get you, in hope he doesn't get a fright if i told him he's screwed if he is caught, he seems to aggree the cops dont care, because he is on 0 points 12 month good behaviour lol.

hope he gets done, i know thats mean but he talks out of his *** 24/7 (hes a pathological liar lol)
Old 24-06-2008, 12:46 AM   #44
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyro_02
my mate installed some foglights which are always on when the headlight is on, they are bright bright yellow, rediculous. I told him the cops wont get you, in hope he doesn't get a fright if i told him he's screwed if he is caught, he seems to aggree the cops dont care, because he is on 0 points 12 month good behaviour lol.

hope he gets done, i know thats mean but he talks out of his *** 24/7 (hes a pathological liar lol)
If your "mate" is such a liar, why are you mates with him? If you wish him harm, why are you mates with him? Sounds like you might be a bit loose with a few terms too.

Now, as far as the OP goes - fight it. You have nothing to lose, and $110 to gain.
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

FPV 335 build stats: <click here>

Ford Performance Club ACT
Old 24-06-2008, 12:53 AM   #45
want-a-XY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i wonder if anyone has tried removing their foglight wires (on falcon and territory) and wireing them onto their high beam circuit? that would solve it. or anyone who has got a fine for having them on write a letter to Ford and suggest they do that from the factory!!!!!!!! simple
Old 24-06-2008, 12:59 AM   #46
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by want-a-XY
i wonder if anyone has tried removing their foglight wires (on falcon and territory) and wireing them onto their high beam circuit? that would solve it. or anyone who has got a fine for having them on write a letter to Ford and suggest they do that from the factory!!!!!!!! simple
Not on a BA or Terry, but I did exactly that (but reverse!?!) on my explorer - they used to be wired to high beam only (with no seperate switch), so I installed a switch and relay to run them with parkers as fog lights, and they now have yellow lenses. I have Nudge bar mounted spotties wired into the original driving light circuit (with a separate switch in there somewhere too).
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

FPV 335 build stats: <click here>

Ford Performance Club ACT
Old 24-06-2008, 01:02 AM   #47
jonohoang

Quote:
Originally Posted by bangm001
I was told the same thing, and I believe I read it somewhere in the owners manual, although im still working :-( so I cant check, if you have a spare minute, look in there for me.
I suppose if you were fined then obviously not, but im sure its hard printed in there somewhere..
They are fog lights on the XR falcon series...

On the ford ghias they are driving lights. However, since they failed the ADR specifications they turned into cornering lamps.

Some earlier model ghias however are still wired as 'driving lights'.
Old 24-06-2008, 01:14 AM   #48
Hybrid34
|AFordEd|

Media Release - Tougher Level Crossing Penalties and New Fog Light Laws

Wednesay 16, April 2008

Media Release
From the Minister for Public Transport

Tougher new penalties for level crossing offences introduced today, will further improve road safety, Minister for Public Transport, Lynne Kosky said.

Ms Kosky said that from today, traffic fines for level crossing offences in the road rules, will increase from $182 and three demerit points to $551 and four demerit points.

The new penalties apply to level crossing offences including failing to stop at a level crossing with a stop sign; failing to give way at a level crossing with a give way sign; or entering a level crossing when a train is approaching, the boom gate is closing, warning lights are operating, or when the road beyond the level crossing is blocked.

“The Brumby Government is taking action to ensure Victoria’s road and transport network is as safe as possible for the community,” Ms Kosky said.

“These new penalties are the latest measure to reduce level crossing accidents and ensure drivers use them safely.

“The penalties complement safety changes to level crossings already occurring across Victoria including reduced speed limits, introduction of rumble strips and warning signs.”

Late last year a new level crossing offence was introduced for speeding to beat a train, crossing tracks when lights and bells are operating, or weaving in between boomgates that are down.

Drivers caught for this offence could incur a fine of 30 penalty units ($3,304), four demerit points and automatic three month licence suspension.

Ms Kosky said the Brumby Government was committed to continuing to improve safety at high-risk level crossings.

“The Government, like the community, is concerned about the number of incidents occurring on our level crossings and is determined to make them as safe as possible,” Ms Kosky said.

A new law regarding the use of front fog lights was also announced today.

Minister for Roads and Ports, Tim Pallas, said that using front fog lights in any other conditions apart from hazardous weather conditions was now prohibited.

“Fog lamps turned on when there is no fog can cause glare, affecting other road users’ ability to see and drive safely,” Mr Pallas said.

“The new law brings the use of front fog lights in line with rules for using rear fog lights, reflecting community expectations and improving road safety.

“If drivers use their fog lights under conditions which are not foggy or hazardous they could face fines of $116.”

Sorry to hear this, but it was just released, I spoke ot the manager of VIC roads 5months ago, and it was not a law, now it has been enforced as of Wednesay 16, April 2008
3:4:5 LSD diff
JMM Extractors
2.5" Stainless Steel highflow cat
2.5" Exhaust
T5 transmission
Front Slotted rotors
Lowered on Pedders Sports Ryders
....and a cherry scented airfreshner

Speed determines how fast you hit the Traffic Light....Power determines how far you take it with you.

Last edited by Hybrid34; 24-06-2008 at 01:27 AM.
Old 24-06-2008, 01:38 AM   #49
XlR8TED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hybrid34

“If drivers use their fog lights under conditions which are not foggy or hazardous they could face fines of $116.”
Gotta love the wording.

Hazardous? Well, I would say the road is hazardous every time you head out for a drive. Night driving is usually more 'hazardous' than day time, isn't it?

There are some cars who's fog lights do dazzle, so fair enough on the law I guess. But I'll never concede that the BA/BF ones do, and I'm a grumpy bastard. If I can't complain about it, anyone who does needs a hobby.
Old 24-06-2008, 01:52 AM   #50
scottmeister
see my vest!

I've never found any BA/F XR fog light to be dazzling...geez they're a 55w H7 globe, aimed low...the idea is for the light to diffuse beneath the fog allowing you to see the road. I've always made sure my fogs are pointed a little lower than stock, it's more useful that way anyway.

How about banning the fools who drive around with actual (ie. yellow lensed) fog lights blaring, most of which are a full 100+w H3/H4 globe. Even worse, on 180SXs and such. Talk about cheesy!
Old 24-06-2008, 02:32 AM   #51
ILLaViTaR
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Well last night after a very long day at Heathcote drags and even longer drive home, i got pulled over at a boos bus @ the hoppers crossing exit, as i was being breath tested another cop walked up to me and asked why i had my fog lights on, i explained ( calmly and nicely ) that i was driving through some bad rain just past Kilmore and towards the city on my way home from Heathcote. Asks for my license, walked towards the bus and came back and handed me a $110 fine.

Is this absolutely stupid or what? There not bright or distracting in my opinion, I've had many many BA/BF's with fog lights on behind me and they don't distract me nor are they too "bright" as the cop informed me.. those damn halogen lights are more annoying!

Just another Victorian Police revenue raiser?
Almost every car that has them blinds me, bring on the fines.
Not from behind, it's when they're oncoming.
Old 24-06-2008, 02:38 AM   #52
Hybrid34
|AFordEd|

Total BullS**t that foglights are so blinding and hazardous, those HID's are ALOT worse, especially when on a dipped rd, it basically hurts your eyes when the car drives past.
3:4:5 LSD diff
JMM Extractors
2.5" Stainless Steel highflow cat
2.5" Exhaust
T5 transmission
Front Slotted rotors
Lowered on Pedders Sports Ryders
....and a cherry scented airfreshner

Speed determines how fast you hit the Traffic Light....Power determines how far you take it with you.
Old 24-06-2008, 02:43 AM   #53
greenfoam
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Fog lights don't bother me too much when passing a oncomming car but I'm not a fan when being tailgated by one , there's plenty of noob highway drivers around the cities that forget to switch high beams off and that's much worse. Luckily it's only one in a thousand that forget out in the bush
Old 24-06-2008, 04:41 AM   #54
kpcart
Banned

Fine fits the crime.
We drive on public roads, and we know the rules, if you dont know the rules and cant follow them, then its your mistake and you should not be on the road.
I dont care how severe a fine is, it is a Voluntary tax. Its quite simple, follow the rules on Public roads which you do not own, and you will get fines. if you break a rule, its your own fault, and good on the government for getting revenue from idiots that break laws, it has probably saved a few tax hikes for the rest of us

so the person that wrote this post, dont do it again, as besides breaking the law, your also annoying the hell out of other public road users (the same public roads which have laws which you have broken, and the same public roads which you do not own and had to get a licence to drive on).

So please accept your punishment, and drive according to the rules from now on on our public roads, and stop being a bogan.
Old 24-06-2008, 09:40 AM   #55
davez104
Landau = GT with the lot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by xy500
that was a harsh thing to say!

Maybe. But what I meant was that their opinion in regard to the fairness of the law really doesn't matter. It's like getting caught for 30km over the speed limit and saying "in my opinion that is a safe speed, why have I been fined"
Old 24-06-2008, 10:16 AM   #56
Rock ape

pejamas im with you on this one.

New FG XR6T ZF
Old 24-06-2008, 10:43 AM   #57
Bushbasher
When in doubt, GAS IT!!

YAY! to the police I say, there should be more of it.

Most idiots who insist on having them on , especially in town, when the weather is clear, deserve everything they get. I've got 2 sets of fogs in the Smartbar on the wagon wired to a separate switch and have only had to use them a couple of times when all else fails. By then I actually turn my headlights off (with parkers on of coarse) and run on the fogs only as the reflected glare from the low beams is a hindrance, but as soon as I can see beyond the fogs the lights come back on again and the fogs go off.

Bushbasher

HERS- BFIII Wagon Gold, alloys, dual fuel, bullbar, big tow pack, trans cooler, fully rebuilt HD suspension, Clarion, alarmed, full 2 1/2" sports system, mint body

MINE- AUII Forte
Meteorite, dual fuel but otherwise bog stock.

MINE- AUII Fairlane Sportsman Liquid Silver over meteorite,HIDs', Airhog, Eagle Leads, dual fuel, custom rear springs, BA slotted discs + a second one for spares

Old 24-06-2008, 01:22 PM   #58
3vXT

It would be great if there was some way to enforce the law just for the people that have them on because they think it looks good, leaving the other 2% of people free to use them the way they were intended.

Personally i don't have a problem with people driving around with them on though, i've never been 'dazzled' by them.
It bothers me more that people (with or without fog lights) don't dip their high beam or have their lights adjusted (on purpose or through neglect) pointing right at oncoming traffic. Doesn't matter if they have fog lights or not, if their low beam lights are pointing at the windscreens of oncoming traffic that can be a little too bright, at night anyway.
Old 24-06-2008, 01:22 PM   #59
SVTVNM
Guzzler

I've been taking notice of fog light since the last thread was posted a while ago, I have to say I have not come accross to many that were brighter than the standard heatlights on low beam. There are alot more distracting things out there.
Old 24-06-2008, 01:30 PM   #60
Fev
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

HID's are worse then highbeams from 5 years ago. I hate driving at night because my eyes get so sore by the time i get home i have to turn all the lights in the house off.. ive NEVER had a problem with ford XR or ghia driving lights, actually, ive never had a problem with ANY cars driving lights. Its the HID's which are bad and painful..

i cant understand the problem with them. and i dont understand why everyone has such a sore spot for them..
Closed Thread