Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 16-02-2014, 12:46 PM   #1321
Bluehoon
Hoon On The Rise

Default Re: 2014 Falcon Sneek Peak

Quote:
Originally Posted by csv8 View Post
Wretched.."It's going to be a hard task for the marketing dept. to sell it if the only updates are really only cosmetic. To try and convince the market it is a better choice than the rest. " There is a Falcon marketing Department ????????
They won't do much other than say it's the last and best we have. IMO

Ford will say we completed all our contractual obligations and did what we could.
Let the enthusiasts buy them as that will happen to an extent.

The real issue is how long the car lasts... Will Ford hold out to 2016? I do hope so as they're the only ones who are being honest to date.

FGX-XR8 Manual, BFII E-Gas, '11 GSXR 1000 - Love 'em!
FPV Tickford Club of NSW - www.fpvclub.com
Bluehoon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-02-2014, 12:53 PM   #1322
Rodge
Banned

It needs to have blind spot monitors as a lot of us older buggers don't have the flexibility with our necks we used to have. Some basic improvements to technology have to happen IMO otherwise it'll fail well before late 2016.
Rodge is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 16-02-2014, 01:12 PM   #1323
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodge View Post
It needs to have blind spot monitors as a lot of us older buggers don't have the flexibility with our necks we used to have. Some basic improvements to technology have to happen IMO otherwise it'll fail well before late 2016.
now that right there to me is a scary statement.
prydey is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 16-02-2014, 01:16 PM   #1324
Bluehoon
Hoon On The Rise

Quote:
Disagree. If you can't move your neck properly then there's a lot of other things you shouldn't be doing as well. Technology is not a copout.

If you can't drive properly then go and hand your license in.

You're all about safety as the cadence of your post suggests then you also consciously have the knowledge and responsibility to act maturely...

Next you'll want button acceleration so you don't have to lift your leg from accelerator to the brakes....

6 users like this post:
Old 16-02-2014, 01:21 PM   #1325
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobman View Post
If you can't please your potential buyers/customers you ultimately fail as a business.

That's kind of what happened though eh?
so you walk in to your local furniture shop (<-insert any other industry as an example). you find a nice item, australian made etc. then you see an item that will do the job seemingly just as well, looks to be made reasonably well, and is a fraction of the cost due to it being an imported item. these days money is THE critical factor. people won't pay extra for a local product when the cost of living is spiralling out of control. its easy to blame the products or the consumer, but there are far to many other factors that can't be ignored, and lack of protection and support is at top of the list.

Quote:
Originally Posted by |Nate
When you put them (FH and VF) together, the average buyer will see "Auto parking, auto wipers, auto windows, adaptive cruise, blind spot assist and other fancy features" and go "wow, let's get that one," completely brushing aside the Falcon, as it has no tech appeal. We all know that the Falcon has always had a far superior driveline, but the general public couldn't give two stuffs about that.
its not always about the tech. how much tech did the corolla and mazda3 have over the last few years. the current models may have caught up somewhat, but they certainly weren't the most techy cars when they were topping the charts in previous years.

also, commodore's seem to have a much larger loyal customer base. blind loyalty some call it, and critisize it. ford fans are apparently 'smarter' as they won't just blindly purchase a car forthe badge, and then whinge when falcon doesn't sell like commodore. ah the irony.
2 users like this post:
Old 16-02-2014, 01:27 PM   #1326
Struggo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluehoon View Post
Disagree. If you can't move your neck properly then there's a lot of other things you shouldn't be doing as well. Technology is not a copout.

Next you'll want button acceleration so you don't have to lift your leg from accelerator to the brakes....
Exactly, if all the gadgets were the reason for car sales why are so many in cheap 4x4 utes on the road?

Prior to picking up the G6ET I test drove a VF SS and a VF SV6 Wagon, in the end the G6ET won out because I loved the drive train, the VF SS was a close second (handled great), however if I was going with a sedan the 60/40 rear seat was of more importance to me than any of the gadgets and the better fuel economy of the I6T. My wife still can't believe I have a Ford in the driveway as I have always been a Holden fan.

I will admit the blind spot assist is great, however the auto-park assist wasn't even tested as I like many can park a car on my own.
Struggo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
6 users like this post:
Old 16-02-2014, 01:34 PM   #1327
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Struggo View Post
Exactly, if all the gadgets were the reason for car sales why are so many in cheap 4x4 utes on the road?

Prior to picking up the G6ET I test drove a VF SS and a VF SV6 Wagon, in the end the G6ET won out because I loved the drive train, the VF SS was a close second (handled great), however if I was going with a sedan the 60/40 rear seat was of more importance to me than any of the gadgets and the better fuel economy of the I6T. My wife still can't believe I have a Ford in the driveway as I have always been a Holden fan.

I will admit the blind spot assist is great, however the auto-park assist wasn't even tested as I like many can park a car on my own.
its funny that as enthusiasts and ford fans we like to analyse to the enth degree why cars aren't selling and come to all sorts of conclusions, but the truth is, everyone has their own individual criteria, and purchase whatever car suits them. sometimes we just look too hard for reasons that aren't really there. often, the simple answer is, the customer just liked the other option better.
3 users like this post:
Old 16-02-2014, 01:39 PM   #1328
Sioso
irregular member

Wheels mentioned suspension is remaining the same as this then means no need for ESC changes.
In other words, if we adjust or modify the suspension it adds $$$$ to make ESC changes also.
Also that the bonnet and boot will have changes but remain steel rather than aluminium like VF.
Sioso is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-02-2014, 02:03 PM   #1329
timetaker

I'm wondering if the XR8 will get torque vectoring?
timetaker is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-02-2014, 02:06 PM   #1330
Rodge
Banned

Quote:

You're all about safety as the cadence of your post suggests then you also consciously have the knowledge and responsibility to act maturely...

You're just being obtuse. Blind spot indicators are now internationally a well recognised safety enhancement device. There's some talk that to get five stars on the crash testing they'll be a requirement soon. Of course what would the people who design these safety standards know...just a little more than you or I ?

Next you'll be saying we don't need ABS or DSC either, if you can't drive without ABS and DSC you should be handing your licence in right, you're just making excuses for Falcon's outdated and very low level of technology, which along with their thirst is the main reasons they're not selling.
2 users like this post:
Old 16-02-2014, 02:11 PM   #1331
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I find reversing sensors/dipping left mirror, on my GHIA great!! A reversing camera ?? you are looking at the screen, not where you are going. Not sold on reversing camera. All tech as its good and bad points...
Old 16-02-2014, 02:11 PM   #1332
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

The car isnt even here yet and people are bagging it over features they don't know whether they are in the final car or not.

How about wait until the car is unveiled before passing judgement on it.

1970 XW Falcon GT replica | 1970 XW Falcon | 1971 XY Fairmont | 1973 ZG Fairlane | 1986 XF Falcon panel van | 1987 XFII Falcon S-Pack | 1988 XF Falcon GLS ute | 1993 EBII Fairmont V8 | 1996 XG Falcon ute | 2000 AU Falcon wagon | 2004 BA Falcon XT | 2012 SZ Territory Titanium AWD

Proud to buy Australian and support Ford Australia through thick and thin
Road_Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-02-2014, 02:13 PM   #1333
Nikked
Oo\===/oO

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Long time member, loves Fords, sensible contributor and does some good and interesting posts. 

Quote:
A reversing camera ?? you are looking at the screen, not where you are going. Not sold on reversing camera. All tech as its good and bad points...
No, its basically a 4th mirror, and used as such...check all your mirrors whilst reversing.

Check out my Photo-chop page

T...I...C...K...F...O...R...D
\≡≡T≡≡/
Nikked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
6 users like this post:
Old 16-02-2014, 02:15 PM   #1334
Bluehoon
Hoon On The Rise

Quote:
You're just being silly. Blind spot indicators are now a well recognised safety enhancement device, some talk that to get five stars on the crash testing they'll be a requirement soon. Of course what would the people who design these safety standards know...just a little more than you or I ?

Next you'll be saying we don't need ABS or DSC either, if you can't drive without ABS and DSC you should be handing your licence in right, you're just making excuses for Falcon's outdated and very low level of technology, which along with their thirst is the main reasons they're not selling.
First and foremost, I don't argue the falcon tech is outdated, period.
To infer that various safety must be there as you can't move your neck is a whole other topic. One I passionately loathe.

Please don't confuse my agreeance over the Falcon tech level with your view on technology compensating your lack of driving ability.

We are not talking about awards, stars ratings or any other such futile rubbish. The point here is you publicly stated you aren't able to do something you are legally required to perform and seek to use technology as an escape goat, not a backup.

For the symantics of blind spots, they mask the fact people don't check their blind spot. Regardless of the safety emotion that is the real issue.

If you can't move your neck to check your blind spot you shouldn't drive. As technology often does, and certainly will do is fail.

What will you do when you have an accident due to not checking your blind spot?

"Sorry officer I can't move my neck and my blind spot detectors weren't working."

Good luck in court with that defence.

Last edited by Bluehoon; 16-02-2014 at 02:22 PM.
3 users like this post:
Old 16-02-2014, 02:19 PM   #1335
Focused

Quote:
I find reversing sensors/dipping left mirror, on my GHIA great!! A reversing camera ?? you are looking at the screen, not where you are going. Not sold on reversing camera. All tech as its good and bad points...
You're barely looking at where you're going. Lets be honest, you're looking through a rear window between rear head-rests and possibly a rear spoiler. There's a lot you can't see by turning your neck. I could barely see anything when reversing my old MA Mondeo hatch (thank God it had reverse sensors, but no camera).
Reverse cameras are great and I'm in no doubt that they've saved lives (little kids) and insurance claims.
Focused is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-02-2014, 02:29 PM   #1336
4stanger
Powered By EcoBoost

10 years time when some neglected cameras and sensors don't work, ya gonna have to rely on the mirrors or the turnin ya head around.
4stanger is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 16-02-2014, 02:39 PM   #1337
Rodge
Banned

Quote:
First and foremost, I don't argue the falcon tech is outdated, period.
To infer that various safety must be there as you can't move your neck is a whole other topic. One I passionately loathe.

Please don't confuse my agreeance over the Falcon tech level with your view on technology compensating your lack of driving ability.

We are not talking about awards, stars ratings or any other such futile rubbish. The point here is you publicly stated you aren't able to do something you are legally required to perform and seek to use technology as an escape goat, not a backup.

For the symantics of blind spots, they mask the fact people don't check their blind spot. Regardless of the safety emotion that is the real issue.

If you can't move your neck to check your blind spot you shouldn't drive. As technology often does, and certainly will do is fail.

What will you do when you have an accident due to not checking your blind spot?

"Sorry officer I can't move my neck and my blind spot detectors weren't working."

Good luck in court with that defence.
I think you've made a huge assumption. I didn't say i couldn't check my blind spot, what I did say is that I don't have the same flexability at my age than I did when I was younger, hence why I would prefer to have a blind spot indicator as well. Netiher does any other 52 year old have the same flexability as say compared to a 20 year old.

FG Falcon technology, or lack thereof is something that really grinds my gearstick. I could write a whole novel on how I believe that Ford have deliberatly starved Falcon of the best available world wide technology but its as simple as this. Alan Mulally stated years ago Ford are moving to a one world platform for their vehicles and Ford basically believe the large car platform is all but dead. They've under invested in Falcon because that's what the CEO specifically chose to do. Ford Amercia wanted it to fail.

Where's adaptive cruise control, adaptive or adjustable suspension heads-up display, attention assist function, heated and cooled seats, LED, Xenon or swivelling headlights, cylinder deactivation, Electric power assisted steering, or doesen't fuel economy count to you ?, a proper premium sound system e.t.c. e.t.c. e.t.c.

I recently had a BMW 750i M Sport for the weekend on the invite of BMW and I would say my 2011 SC GT-P is not a full generation behind, as if often the case, but i'd say its now two generations behind the best Europe has on offer.

The VF Holden's trechnology shows what can and should have been done if Ford in America had been cooperating with Ford Australia. Alan Mulally's vision has shafted Ford falcon down under, simple as that.
7 users like this post:
Old 16-02-2014, 02:43 PM   #1338
NanoDuke
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Same thing with lane departure and adaptive cruise control. More gimmicks that allow for lazy drivers who will lapse in concentration and cause fatalities.

Sent from my HTC_PO582 using Tapatalk
NanoDuke is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 16-02-2014, 02:46 PM   #1339
Bluehoon
Hoon On The Rise

Quote:

FG Falcon technology, or lack thereof is something that really grinds my gearstick. I could write a whole novel on how I believe that Ford have deliberatly starved Falcon of the best available world wide technology but its as simple as this. Alan Mulally stated years ago Ford are moving to a one world platform for their vehicles and Ford basically believe the large car platform is all but dead. They've under invested in Falcon because that's what the CEO specifically chose to do. Ford Amercia wanted it to fail.

Where's adaptive cruise control, adaptive or adjustable suspension heads-up display, attention assist function, heated and cooled seats, LED, Xenon or swivelling headlights, cylinder deactivation, Electric power assisted steering, or doesen't fuel economy count to you ?, a proper premium sound system e.t.c. e.t.c. e.t.c.

I recently had a BMW 750i M Sport for the weekend on the invite of BMW and I would say my 2011 SC GT-P is not a full generation behind, as if often the case, but i'd say its now two generations behind the best Europe has on offer.

The VF Holden's trechnology shows what can and should have been done if Ford in America had been cooperating with Ford Australia. Alan Mulally's vision has shafted Ford falcon down under, simple as that.
I think I speak for most when I say that I totally agree with you there. Compared to most other makes and models there is a huge gap.

In saying that, do you want a drivers car or a tech car?

In essence I love the driving experience and am hanging for the last XR8, in manual. The car is what it is, and will be what it will be. If you want to experience a true drivers car there won't be better then the FH for what we will pay.

For some the tech makes 'em smile, for the drivers the car will.

I'll take great pride in launching my technologically antequated falcon, smiling, knowing my opponent was too busy with facebook.

Holden can have their tech and apps, let the I6T and Coyote lay rubber for years to come.

Old 16-02-2014, 02:48 PM   #1340
Wretched
Render unto Caesar

Quote:
Originally Posted by NanoDuke View Post
Same thing with lane departure and adaptive cruise control. More gimmicks that allow for lazy drivers who will lapse in concentration and cause fatalities.

Sent from my HTC_PO582 using Tapatalk
Just like automatic transmissions, for lazy people who can't be bothered changing gears.

Technology like this is not to be soley relied upon, you do so at your own peril (they can be turned off too).
The technology is there to assist people, to further reduce accidents caused by drivers that have been distracted.

Is a Porsche GT3 (or any 911, Cayman or Boxster) any less of a driver's car because of the technology packed into them?
Old 16-02-2014, 02:51 PM   #1341
prydey
Rob

Quote:
why didn't you go on to add all the cars that these features are in? at falcon's price point of course! and those that do, perhaps you could also compare the budgets they had spent on them, and the ROI of that particular model!

Quote:
and comparing a performance falcon with 7 series BMW

Quote:
and yet, with all that technology, Holden are also shutting up shop.

throwing stones is easy. sometimes the hardest thing is putting emotion aside and accepting that Ford (global) have done the right thing by pulling the plug.
6 users like this post:
Old 16-02-2014, 02:59 PM   #1342
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Prydey..Renault Latitude, 300C has some of those features, for starters. Just look at what the Focus, Mondeo has that the Falcon doesn't !!!! We can argue about what the Falcon lacks, till the cows come home...lets hope Ford get some of the tech from their world parts bin into the Falcon..not expecting it too match the VF,,but come close....
Old 16-02-2014, 03:18 PM   #1343
Rodge
Banned

Quote:
I think I speak for most when I say that I totally agree with you there. Compared to most other makes and models there is a huge gap.

In saying that, do you want a drivers car or a tech car?
In essence I love the driving experience and am hanging for the last XR8, in manual. The car is what it is, and will be what it will be. If you want to experience a true drivers car there won't be better then the FH for what we will pay.For some the tech makes 'em smile, for the drivers the car will.

I'll take great pride in launching my technologically antequated falcon, smiling, knowing my opponent was too busy with facebook.

Holden can have their tech and apps, let the I6T and Coyote lay rubber for years to come.
In a perfect world I'd have both technology and a drivers car at the price of a FH XR8 but that won't happen in a Ford Falcon. Frankly I can see very good reasons why the VF SSV-Redline is selling it socks off and I think the public out there arn't as silly as many on here make them out to be. That car at its price point is an absolute blinder for Holden in my opinion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by prydey
why didn't you go on to add all the cars that these features are in? at falcon's price point of course! and those that do, perhaps you could also compare the budgets they had spent on them, and the ROI of that particular model!

and comparing a performance falcon with 7 series BMW

and yet, with all that technology, Holden are also shutting up shop.
throwing stones is easy. sometimes the hardest thing is putting emotion aside and accepting that Ford (global) have done the right thing by pulling the plug.
Holden tried with their VF, you've got to give them credit for trying.
Have a look at www.ford.com and the level of technology in the latest Taurus and ask yourself why Ford starved the Falcon of the best technology, that's right, it was a deliberate decision to kill the Falcon off.
Different price point the 7 Series BMW but only because its so heavily taxed and the local distributors are so blatantly price gouging.

The final Falcon presents us with with a stark choice of that there is no doubt.
A final fling with the past and all the emotion that's involved with the history of the Falcon for more than 50 years, a good drivers car, albeit with a chassis that's stretched right to its limit with the SC and I6T motors and bereft of the latest available technology...or wait for the Mustang and hope for the best, or defect to the Red team and enjoy arguably a better chassis / handling experience along with a raft of current technology and all at a very reasonable price, but without the wonderful smooth torque laden delivery of the legendary I6T or the raw power of the V8 SC 335.
Kiwi's are in a better, (perhaps facing an even more perplexing dilema), position and have the added complexity of parallel importing a top end Euro for not much more money than a top of the line SC FPV.

Choice...definitly a first world problem

Last edited by Rodge; 16-02-2014 at 03:27 PM.
Old 16-02-2014, 04:10 PM   #1344
LeadFoot81
_Oo===oO_

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikked View Post
EA had a different bonnet, front guards, boot and taillight panels compared to the EB

EL received a new bonnet..
Off topic, but the only difference between the EA and EB bonnets was (to put it cheekily) they bogged up the badge recess on the dies before stamping the EB bonnets.

I've had an EA and ED and have no idea how the front guards were any different?

Ahhh the good old days when you could easily and cheaply swap or paint bits that attach to the car (door handles, C-pillar garnishes, boot garnishes, tail lights, door bump strips) to freshen the car up!

On topic, I think overall FH is (like the ED Falcon) a value packed model with a very short run that will bridge the current FG Falcon and it's replacement (in this case, not another Falcon but the Fusion/Mondeo)

PS: I'm not comparing the level of differentiation between FG/FH to EB/ED, nor am I contending that Fusion/Mondeo is a true spiritual replacement for the Falcon.

Last edited by LeadFoot81; 16-02-2014 at 04:15 PM.
LeadFoot81 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 16-02-2014, 04:15 PM   #1345
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeadFoot81 View Post
Ahhh the good old days when you could easily and cheaply swap or paint bits that attach to the car (door handles, C-pillar garnishes, boot garnishes, tail lights, door bump strips) to freshen the car up!
You can still do it, just be prepared to be charged up the ar$e for it.

Go price up a set of OEM piano black dash spears and shifter/console surround for an FG and see what you get (or even see how much second hand ones are

1970 XW Falcon GT replica | 1970 XW Falcon | 1971 XY Fairmont | 1973 ZG Fairlane | 1986 XF Falcon panel van | 1987 XFII Falcon S-Pack | 1988 XF Falcon GLS ute | 1993 EBII Fairmont V8 | 1996 XG Falcon ute | 2000 AU Falcon wagon | 2004 BA Falcon XT | 2012 SZ Territory Titanium AWD

Proud to buy Australian and support Ford Australia through thick and thin
Road_Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-02-2014, 04:17 PM   #1346
LeadFoot81
_Oo===oO_

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road_Warrior View Post
You can still do it, just be prepared to be charged up the ar$e for it.

Go price up a set of OEM piano black dash spears and shifter/console surround for an FG and see what you get (or even see how much second hand ones are
I hear you man! What I meant though, was that it was easier for manufacturers to freshen up models (without the need for sheet metal changes) Although it could be argued they were just lazier back then too.
LeadFoot81 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-02-2014, 04:29 PM   #1347
Focused

Quote:
I think you've made a huge assumption. I didn't say i couldn't check my blind spot, what I did say is that I don't have the same flexability at my age than I did when I was younger, hence why I would prefer to have a blind spot indicator as well. Netiher does any other 52 year old have the same flexability as say compared to a 20 year old.

You don't have to compare the Falcon with a 7 Series, my friend! You can just look at a MC Mondeo Titanium that has most of that stuff, yet it's 6-7 years old!
I'd agree that I don't need all of those safety features, but they're still mighty helpful and can only contribute to a safe trip.

Have a look at Ford's Mondeo page for all of the goodies it has: http://www.ford.com.au/cars/mondeo/m...titanium-hatch
And have a look at carsales.com.au where you can get new/near new MC Titaniums for $40K DA.
Focused is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-02-2014, 04:38 PM   #1348
prydey
Rob

Quote:
indicator repeater
Old 16-02-2014, 04:42 PM   #1349
TC200six
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I do believe the Falcon should have already had more features that other cars have (like the Taurus), that the Falcon doesn't have. But that would never have saved it, manufacturing cars in Australia was terminally ill anyway.
TC200six is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-02-2014, 04:49 PM   #1350
TC200six
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Off topic, but the only difference between the EA and EB bonnets was (to put it cheekily) they bogged up the badge recess on the dies before stamping the EB bonnets.

On topic, I think overall FH is (like the ED Falcon) a value packed model with a very short run that will bridge the current FG Falcon and it's replacement (in this case, not another Falcon but the Fusion/Mondeo)

PS: I'm not comparing the level of differentiation between FG/FH to EB/ED, nor am I contending that Fusion/Mondeo is a true spiritual replacement for the Falcon.
There was also a subtle change of wing mirrors from EA to EB too.
TC200six is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post