Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 23-09-2006, 12:16 PM   #1
johnydep
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech article(s) 
Default eBay fuel saving device - FORGET IT!

I was checking out what's on eBay for the Territory when I come across this con:

FORD XR6 FIESTA FOCUS FALCON FAIRLANE ESCAPE TERRITORY
PERFORMANCE CHIP/ FUEL SAVER, EXPLORER COURIER

Performance chip for $60? Yeah sure! http://cgi.ebay.com.au/FORD-XR6-FIES...QQcmdZViewItem

So I cehcked it out and found it a load of crock, and thought I'd warn my fellow forum members.

Here's a clue to why it's bulldust:

Quote:
Fuel/oxygen ratios in modern automobiles are regulated by an Electronic Control Unit (ECU). Factory ECUs are set to maintain a 14.7:1 Fuel/Oxygen ratio; this is known as a stoichiometric fuel mix.
^^This is 100% true.^^

Quote:
This mix is a balance between power and fuel economy, which is what most automobile buyers are happy with. In general, leaning out the fuel/oxygen ratio will cause a power loss, but fuel economy gain; conversely richening the mix will cause a slight (usually less than 1/2 mpg) reduction in fuel economy, but an increase in power.
^^This is also truthfull, but heading towards the misleading; there is new technology that is taking advantage of lean fuel ratios. Generally, only performance vehicles will get any advantage from a rich mixture.^^

Quote:
The fuel/oxygen ratio must remain between 13:1 and 17:1 to remain efficient, any leaner and the engine will be starved for fuel, any richer and the engine will not be able to combust all of the fuel causing inefficiency.
^^That's true, but the engine ECU/PCM controls the fuel ratio using items such as the Oxygen Sensor to monitor the fuel ratio.^^

Quote:
Performance chips and modules increase performance by adjusting these ratios between 13 and 14.7, the more performance oriented fuel curves.
^^What? That is exactly what the vehicles factory original ECU/PCM does; adjust the fuel ratio for maximum efficiency.^^

From the the photo and the minimal information supplied, the device looks like it connects to the temperature sensor circuit, which will cause a false temperature reading to the ECU/PCM, probably so that the ECU/PCM will adjust for a richer mix. A richer mix will give more power for a flat out test on a dyno, but we don't drive on dyno's, do we?

So what exactly does this device do?

Other than rob people of their well earned cash; at best it does nothing, at worst it will cause problems.

Stay clear of this product, rich mixtures will not give better fuel economy but will cause excess wear.

There are better ways to get better results, they might cost more but quality is not cheap.

especially concerning their love of the motor vehicle.

http://www.fireservicecollege.ac.uk
johnydep is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-09-2006, 12:17 PM   #2
johnydep
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech article(s) 

I'm moving this to the Pub so that everyone can be warned.

If anyone has purchased this thing, post your thoughts.
especially concerning their love of the motor vehicle.

http://www.fireservicecollege.ac.uk
johnydep is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-09-2006, 12:24 PM   #3
mr scotto
mk 1 capri

Default fuel saver

the best fuel saver i have come accross is to lift my right boot.you can get tecnical and check tyre presures and tune your car.
mr scotto is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-09-2006, 02:47 PM   #4
The Monty
Just slidin'

Best thing for saving fuel is a door stop under the accelerator, so you cant accelerate past 3 grand.
Old 23-09-2006, 02:53 PM   #5
Smoked
Burnin Rubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Monty
Best thing for saving fuel is a door stop under the accelerator, so you cant accelerate past 3 grand.
That could be potentially dangerous. There will be occaisions where you may really need quick aceleration, such as avoiding an accident.
***Coming Soon: Clear Side Repeaters***
Quote:
Originally Posted by The-ShowStoPPa
...dont get me wrong this 3.8v6 is pretty special, it does come with the popular shake rattle and roll option and the auto compliments this with the ever popular snap crackle and pop feature
Smoked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-09-2006, 02:53 PM   #6
matsbfxr6

For $60 certainly doesnt seem right... Thanks for the heads up!
matsbfxr6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-09-2006, 03:19 PM   #7
The Monty
Just slidin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoked
That could be potentially dangerous. There will be occaisions where you may really need quick aceleration, such as avoiding an accident.
Yeah, so true. Always wanted to try it though. It wouldnt be anything worse than trying to accelerate in say a 1987 camry (my old car) LoL. Good pint though Smoked, thanks.
Old 23-09-2006, 10:03 PM   #8
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

I like the way that, seemingly, the same unit works on everything from a Merc to a Mazda!

Mind you the EF Falcon with dual fuel he has for $455 seems reasonable... as long as it comes with his 'Performance chip/Fuel saver'
Old 24-09-2006, 02:08 PM   #9
EB 2 XR8
Traino!

tune up is the best way to save fuel

EB 2 XR8 - 5 Speed, All Black, SSV Bodykit,

EF 2 XR6 - 5 Speed, XR Kit, Sunroof,

Current Car:

EL GLI - Straight As!
EB 2 XR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-09-2006, 02:50 PM   #10
Abacus
Life's a Gas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoked
Errr, I think he just might have been tongue in cheek.

LPG is the best way to save $ on fuel. $500 after rebate. Do the sums.
Abacus is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-09-2006, 03:46 PM   #11
uranium_death
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Fuel saving devices are all just a marketing ploy, which leaves the clueless vulnerable.

If they really worked, wouldn't the car manufacturers have their own to make their cars more attractive?

All these scams are aimed to appeal to the vulnerable.
uranium_death is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post