Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 10-07-2019, 09:23 PM   #421
NX74205
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: The trials and tribulations of owning an e series

Quote:
Originally Posted by stock1991 View Post
I assume ecoboost suffered similar sort of prejudice
Sadly, it did. Can't say I've driven a 3.2, but by the sounds of it, it wasn't really suited to what Falcons promised - long distance cruising ability. The same can't be said for the Ecoboost, which was a brilliant engine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy Dazz View Post
The ecoboost was a bad engine
I think you've just proven stock1991's point.
2005 Ford BF Fairmont (2006-2019)
1989 Ford EA Falcon GL (2000-2007)
1982 Ford KA Laser Ghia (1999-2000)
NX74205 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-07-2019, 09:55 PM   #422
Sar4890
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Still looking for the elusive Fairmont hubcap if anyone has seen one or even a set.
Sar4890 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-07-2019, 10:01 PM   #423
stock1991
Striving towards ordinary
Donating Member1

I'll keep an eye out mate, no doubt something will come up eventually, just be a case of checking regularly in all the usual places
stock1991 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-07-2019, 10:05 PM   #424
Sar4890
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Yeah i know the car looks pretty ugly with out the hubcap and hasnt been driven since
Old 10-07-2019, 10:07 PM   #425
stock1991
Donating Member1

I know its annoying, I have stocked up the centre caps for my alloys. Lost one, and some were available at reasonable price , some people wanted blood
Old 10-07-2019, 10:13 PM   #426
Sar4890
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Last time we lost a hubcap was about 18 years ago and had a replacement in a few days with the benefit of hindsight i should have started my parts collecting much earlier when they were still around
Old 11-07-2019, 03:37 AM   #427
NX74205
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sar4890 View Post
Still looking for the elusive Fairmont hubcap if anyone has seen one or even a set.
One suggestion could be to broaden your search to include KE/KF Laser Ghia hubcaps. I believe they're identical.
2005 Ford BF Fairmont (2006-2019)
1989 Ford EA Falcon GL (2000-2007)
1982 Ford KA Laser Ghia (1999-2000)
NX74205 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-07-2019, 03:52 PM   #428
Sar4890
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Yeah I have heard that and have broadend my search to include them as well. Im informed that they arent an exact match but so closed it wont matter.
Old 16-07-2019, 05:40 AM   #429
Crazy Dazz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by NX74205 View Post
Sadly, it did. Can't say I've driven a 3.2, but by the sounds of it, it wasn't really suited to what Falcons promised - long distance cruising ability.
???
The first generation of OHC engines were pieces of crap. How FoA spent so long on them, delivered them years late, and still ****ed them up, may forever remain a mystery.
At the time, the 3.2 was considered under-powered, and the decision was made to instead focus on getting the 5.0k right, with Tickford to offer an enhanced version.
The irony is that they kept on improving the 4.0l, offering increasingly powerful turbo versions, even after the market had shifted.

Unfortunately, and this may have contributed to their demise, FoA seemed to become entrenched in this pattern of foisting crap on the public with the first model, knowing they would have several years to fix all the problems.
The exception to this might be the BA, until you consider that the BA was basically the fix to the AU.
Crazy Dazz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-07-2019, 10:12 AM   #430
XR Martin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Not sure why the 3.2 gets brought up so much, they only made 800 and was dropped by the end of 1988.
The CFI models was a last minute cost cutting effort by Ford HQ. In manual form the MPFI was quicker than the VL Turbo.
The delay with 4 speed auto wasn't really Fords fault either.
Sure quality wasn't flash, but again that can be blamed of Ford HQ cost cutting.
2016 FGX XR8 Sprint, 6speed manual, Kinetic Blue #170

2004 BA wagon RTV project.

1998 EL XR8, Auto, Hot Chilli Red

1993 ED XR6, 5speed, Polynesian Green. 1 of 329. Retired

1968 XT Falcon 500 wagon, 3 on the tree, 3.6L. Patina project.
XR Martin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-07-2019, 12:01 PM   #431
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR Martin View Post
Not sure why the 3.2 gets brought up so much, they only made 800 and was dropped by the end of 1988.
The CFI models was a last minute cost cutting effort by Ford HQ. In manual form the MPFI was quicker than the VL Turbo.
The delay with 4 speed auto wasn't really Fords fault either.
Sure quality wasn't flash, but again that can be blamed of Ford HQ cost cutting.
It wasn't cost cutting that was the problem, it was the time they wasted on project capricorn. Due to that time wasted before they abandoned it, they had to rush the EA onto the market well before it was ready. That was the issue. They didn't have the time to properly durability test it and fix the problems.

If the EA was released 6-12 months later it would have been miles better.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 16-07-2019, 09:12 PM   #432
Sar4890
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

EA bashing was a popular sport back in the day a bit like AU bashing now and sure they had their faults but with the passing of time it goes to show how robust the design was to still be here today and on the roads. It was the early cars that paved the way for the later Falcons.
6 users like this post:
Old 25-08-2019, 07:27 PM   #433
Sar4890
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The search continues for the elusive hubcap. Ive revisited U pullit today in the vain hope that a EA Fairmont has turned up. Yes one did but with aftermarket hubcaps on so no luck there.On a better note my Interior paint turned up and from looking in the tin its a winner a big shout out to Tony from concept paints for making it happen. The big interior strip down can commence once ive recoloured the new pieces of course. A job for when the weather warms up and i buy a spray gun, regulator and other items deemed nessecary to make it look half decent.
Old 25-08-2019, 09:39 PM   #434
Sprintey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Here's an absolute treat for all of you:

https://www.shannons.com.au/club/new...ven-better-eb/

A very positive write up of the whole series EA-ED.

"Australian, yes, but absolutely no local yokel was this Falcon, codenamed EA26: here was the Elegant Australian. When it was shown to a focus group in Dusseldorf, Germany, in September 1984, the Ford Australia designers knew they had a winner on their hands. The left-hand drive clay model was in company with a Mercedes-Benz 190, BMW 5-Series, Renault 25 and Audi 100. Not only was the Falcon the easy winner, but many participants believed it was the successor to the Audi 100, the star of the 1982 Paris Salon which went on to change the shape of the car: all rivals were wedged!"
Old 25-08-2019, 09:41 PM   #435
Sprintey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Oh yes we are well past the bogan stage now with the ED, the young one and all mates come over, want to look in it, marvel at the trim colour and "Hey, the dash looks fully retro!"

They have arrived.
Old 25-08-2019, 09:47 PM   #436
Sprintey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8 View Post
It wasn't cost cutting that was the problem, it was the time they wasted on project capricorn. Due to that time wasted before they abandoned it, they had to rush the EA onto the market well before it was ready. That was the issue. They didn't have the time to properly durability test it and fix the problems.

If the EA was released 6-12 months later it would have been miles better.
Same as on AU development! They took a turn at marketing the Taurus, stopped development. Then went on to cost cut the entry models making them feel very bland. I reckon if FOA was patriotically owned, there would have been none of these adventures.
Old 25-08-2019, 11:03 PM   #437
Sar4890
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Im going for some ideas here if i cant find my elusive hubcap what other wheels would look good on my EA? Im not going to use aftermarket hubcaps as they look nasty and running black stokies is my idea of a good look. My shortlist is EA ghia rims or snow flakes the latter can be hard to find. I am also aware this will make me current tyres redundant as they are 14".
Old 25-08-2019, 11:25 PM   #438
stock1991
Donating Member1

Quote:
Im going for some ideas here if i cant find my elusive hubcap what other wheels would look good on my EA? Im not going to use aftermarket hubcaps as they look nasty and running black stokies is my idea of a good look. My shortlist is EA ghia rims or snow flakes the latter can be hard to find. I am also aware this will make me current tyres redundant as they are 14".
The ghia rims seem obvious choice to me, are they called fireblade? anyway I like them. I saw an EA Fairmont couple weeks ago, it had aftermarket hubcaps, I wanted to ask the owner if he had the old ones but it was parked and I couldn't hang around
Old 25-08-2019, 11:43 PM   #439
Sar4890
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Thanks for the thought stocky but any money the reason he has aftermarket ones on is the originals are long gone. I do like the ghia rims and probably easier to find than the snow flakes. Even though they were optional on the Fairmonts pictures from my brouchure seem to suggest they were like XF Fairmont Ghia ones without the ghia center cap and being polished rather than a matt finish like the s pack. Which probably makes the task even harder. Aftermarket rims with the exception of Simmons FR90's ,which would be worth more than the car , dont seem to look right

Last edited by Sar4890; 25-08-2019 at 11:45 PM. Reason: To make more sense
Old 25-08-2019, 11:53 PM   #440
stock1991
Donating Member1

It's frustrating I'm sure. Thing is you go to any expense and you the only one really going to notice anyway. You could use aftermarket hubcaps and it wont look out of place, but I understand bug the crap out of you. Hopefully a solution comes along mate. How's the other cars?
Old 26-08-2019, 12:10 AM   #441
Sar4890
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Yeah all good the coupes fine.The BA remains undriven and the Focus my least favorite had an oil change and still keeps soldiering on. Hows the EB travelling?
Old 26-08-2019, 12:19 AM   #442
stock1991
Donating Member1

Quote:
Yeah all good the coupes fine.The BA remains undriven and the Focus my least favorite had an oil change and still keeps soldiering on. Hows the EB travelling?
good as gold thanks, apart from really only being driven once a week. I try to get a couple hundred km's in on the weekend somewhere. Spoke to my mechanic about fitting the nos power steering pump and new p/s hose and switch, he reckons my pump isn't noisy for an E series and the hose and switch aren't leaking soooo..

on a side note,I got a new work ute. Isuzu dmax turbo diesel, fancy bluteooth which I have no clue about but does have cruise control, nice
Old 26-08-2019, 12:26 AM   #443
Sar4890
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Me neither im a bit of a cave man when it comes to technology.