Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 22-08-2019, 09:03 PM   #61
K.P.

Default Re: New BP fuels additive announced

I've tried Mobil's Supreme 98+ now. It seems really good. Given I added 1/4 tank of Supreme 98+ on top of just over a 1/4 tank of Special 91 and it's outperforming V-Power (like it was all V-Power), I've got to say I'm pretty impressed so far. Mobil claim "engine responsiveness" and the engine does seem to be "slippery" and the car is really herbing along, definite power and ease/slickness when driving. Oddly enough, it's maneuvering and tracking better, more confidently. Strange but true.

Better than any 95 RON petrol I've used (though it's a mongrel mix), and I haven't used much 95 ever because it only seems a tad better than 91, usually used 91 or 98. So far I'm preferring it to BP Ultimate 98, my old 98 favourite. Haven't tried Vortex 98 in this car, only V-Power and Ultimate 98.

I suspect as some previous posters have said, Ford and Mobil partnered together for decades so the stock tune on an FG Falcon might be tweaked for Mobil fuel. Looking forward to full Mobil Supreme 98+, should be even better.

Last edited by K.P.; 22-08-2019 at 09:33 PM.
K.P. is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-08-2019, 10:05 PM   #62
asagaai
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by K.P. View Post
I've tried Mobil's Supreme 98+ now. It seems really good. Given I added 1/4 tank of Supreme 98+ on top of just over a 1/4 tank of Special 91 and it's outperforming V-Power (like it was all V-Power), I've got to say I'm pretty impressed so far. Mobil claim "engine responsiveness" and the engine does seem to be "slippery" and the car is really herbing along, definite power and ease/slickness when driving. Oddly enough, it's maneuvering and tracking better, more confidently. Strange but true.

Better than any 95 RON petrol I've used (though it's a mongrel mix), and I haven't used much 95 ever because it only seems a tad better than 91, usually used 91 or 98. So far I'm preferring it to BP Ultimate 98, my old 98 favourite. Haven't tried Vortex 98 in this car, only V-Power and Ultimate 98.

I suspect as some previous posters have said, Ford and Mobil partnered together for decades so the stock tune on an FG Falcon might be tweaked for Mobil fuel. Looking forward to full Mobil Supreme 98+, should be even better.
I also used BP 98 as my favourite. Hate Caltex, and she’ll never performed well in my car. But my new all time favourite is 10 litres e85 and balance Mobil 98 from local 7/11. Just feral mix.

Something with Mobil 98 and my fox xr8 clicks....

Ford Fiesta ST Mk 8 -daily- closest thing to a go kart on road for under 50K

FG X XR8 smoke manual - Miami hand built masterpiece by David Winter, BMC Filter, JLT Oil separators, Street Fighter Intercooler Stage 2, crushed ball, running 15% E85 and 85% 98- weekender
asagaai is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-08-2019, 10:09 PM   #63
K.P.

That was confusing sorry, meant "better than any 95 I've used" because the petrol in the tank is a mixture of Mobil Special 91 & Supreme 98+, hence a "mongrel mix"...hard to tell what the RON would be, 94-5 probably, maybe 96. The blend "feel" reminds me of V-Power (used to love that) before they changed the additive package 6 years ago, half-half Mobil 91 and Supreme 98+ def. better than 100% current V-Power, in my FG XR6 anyway.

Last edited by K.P.; 22-08-2019 at 10:34 PM.
Old 22-08-2019, 10:19 PM   #64
K.P.

deleted, quote didn't work.

Last edited by K.P.; 22-08-2019 at 10:32 PM.
Old 22-08-2019, 10:23 PM   #65
K.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by asagaai View Post
I also used BP 98 as my favourite. Hate Caltex, and she’ll never performed well in my car. But my new all time favourite is 10 litres e85 and balance Mobil 98 from local 7/11. Just feral mix.

You're lucky to even get E85. Don't think there's an E85 pump in miles. Well, there we go huh? Bet if there were heaps of Mobil stations around people would be gushing over Supreme 98+, but everyone goes "Yuck!7-11 petrol", it's Mobil whether you get it at a Mobil or 7-11 station.

Really interested to hear someone else (apart from my retired body shop friend) saying it was great stuff. Thanks for sharing that!
Old 22-08-2019, 10:49 PM   #66
K.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by asagaai View Post

I didn't like Vortex 98 in my last car either, it wasn't "bad" as such but not as good as V-Power and definitely Ultimate 98, so I haven't bothered with Vortex. I used to buy V-Power "the new version" a lot in my last car cos I was working at a Coles few hours a week and used to find heaps of 8c dockets in the carpark. My "uncle" swears by Vortex 98 in his Subaru Forester though, both performance & economy.

I reckon your FG-X XR8 would have clicked with the original V-Power but sadly it is no more. Was great stuff, but I suspect the Mobil Supreme 98+ is even better...
Old 23-08-2019, 07:31 PM   #67
mick taylor
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Yeah, it's a s*it with dual fuel cars, always worrying about stale fuel. I just top it up with $5-10 every 2-3 weeks. Been using Special 91 cos it's enticing to add that "extra" at the bottom of the cycle vs 98 but 98 should last 3 months. Mobil told me that topping up the way I do with their 91 everything will be fine for 12 months (by which time what you've added a year back is gone)...but I miss 98 esp. given the unique stock tune of an FG Barra:

91 RON is 195 kW and 391 Nm
95 RON is 201kW and 409 Nm
98 RON is 208kW and 420 Nm

Bought mine in VGC at 84k already with SVI but nearly bought a demo black XR6 Mk 11 at $26k with under 200ks on it (showroom car) and was going to get LPI on it, not Orbital the other one. Black is a cow to keep clean and I wanted a "hero" colour so she's a Nitro FG XR6, some nice body/CAI upgrade mods plus Redback straight-through exhaust (which I'd have added) by previous owner and Ford leather seats etc through a Ford connection so essentially the Luxury Pack, plus Technology Pack.

I must admit I miss the 98 kick!

(My friend's just-closed shop was Dawson Prestige, not Automotive)
You see the Octane rating and power figures are correct as to what Ford says, now why one may ask is such so ?

Well this engine is not truly designed to run on 91 octane at it's best efficiency over all, it was suppose to run 95 but the PM at the time put a stop to that, or we would of had 95 as our lowest rating, 91 was supposed to finish due to ADR law that was to come into play, but PM Gillard stoped that. so I don't know how many ducks act and people she has killed indirectly, specially in Sydney as boy is that a heavily polluted City that stinks. I think that they at least have run E10 now down their.

But when a engine has to go and retard the spark advance from it's best mapping, so it is reducing it's efficiency and therefor wasting fuel to be sure.

Now we come to summer or winter temps, so one can getaway with running lower octane in colder days and the timing will not most likely retard as much but on hot days it may retard so much more or if driven harder and with the Air-con as well all comes into play.

So in reality what one want's to do is not make the engine have to retard the timing.

If we had a function showing up just how much the engine was retarding on the run one could pop in and top up with a higher octane to help keep efficiency up.
That would be the main point of the fuel octane thing, but their is more to it again but I will leave it at that for now.
mick taylor is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-08-2019, 01:41 AM   #68
K.P.

Well, 80% of the Australian petrol market is 91 RON. Falcons have always run at standard fuel...and I seem to remember that the Barra engine will run on down to 80 RON (meaning a non-turbo [the majority] version) can fuel up anywhere, possibly old fuel in the outback.

I don't mean to imply that 80 RON is great, just they can and will run that low.

91 RON fuel is good. A lot of people could not afford to run their cars on 95, let alone 98. Sulphation is an issue, and yes 91 contains higher sulphur levels. I still don't bother with 95.

The FG Falcon was released in February 2008. Kevin Rudd had only become Prime Minister in December 2007. How Julia Gillard could have time-travelled back to pre-release FG Falcon days, become Prime Minister instead of John Howard and/or Kevin Rudd AND "interfered" with ADR regulations (killing people and ducks...apparently) is quite a mystery! Two months would make your culprit...John Howard. I doubt the Ford Geelong plant and engineers would have had TIME to "force" 91 RON fuel onto the last Barra iteration (discounting the minor "point" upgrade to Euro V in the Mk11).

This is if we accept your hypothesis in the first place. Which ah, relies on time-travel.

I don't.

Last edited by K.P.; 31-08-2019 at 02:07 AM.
Old 31-08-2019, 03:02 AM   #69
K.P.

Back to 2019 (sorry mick_taylor I'm forced to disregard your post insofar as it posits Julia Gillard masquerading as John Howard [Dec-Feb 07-08 Kevin Rudd PM also being the Christmas/New Year period and very unlikely that ADR updates were rushed through nor major engine tune changes, sorry!] deliberately designed to kill via sulphation...Mobil Supreme 98+ now being the majority petrol in my FG XR6, it is the most spirited petrol I've used. Possibly a bit less economic than the latest BP Ultimate. It's hard to say...I bought another 1/4 of a tank (at a different, smaller site...skews results and there's still a 1/4 of Mobil Special 91 mixed with Mobil Supreme 98+ from my usual site PLUS whatever remains of the Liqui-Moly Fuel System Cleaner).

I really like it. Especially at $1.40 a litre at the bottom of the cycle.

I'm back to mainly using LPG after 3.5 weeks on petrol alone and I bought Supagas from the Shell independent which really is the vroom LPG but you do go through a bit more (and it's only available in Melbourne [truly, not shilling for Mobil here, old threads sing the praises of Mobil LPG and for overall balance, yes - definitely Mobil LPG wins] and I'm very lucky that the local independent Shell even has Supagas...great find! I'd thought it was old signage but no, the owner loves it).

Last edited by K.P.; 31-08-2019 at 03:32 AM.
Old 31-08-2019, 11:56 AM   #70
mick taylor
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Back to 2019 (sorry mick_taylor I'm forced to disregard your post insofar as it posits Julia Gillard masquerading as John Howard [Dec-Feb 07-08 Kevin Rudd PM also being the Christmas/New Year period and very unlikely that ADR updates were rushed through nor major engine tune changes, sorry!] deliberately designed to kill via sulphation...Mobil Supreme 98+ now being the majority petrol in my FG XR6, it is the most spirited petrol I've used. Possibly a bit less economic than the latest BP Ultimate. It's hard to say...I bought another 1/4 of a tank (at a different, smaller site...skews results and there's still a 1/4 of Mobil Special 91 mixed with Mobil Supreme 98+ from my usual site PLUS whatever remains of the Liqui-Moly Fuel System Cleaner).

I really like it. Especially at $1.40 a litre at the bottom of the cycle.

I'm back to mainly using LPG after 3.5 weeks on petrol alone and I bought Supagas from the Shell independent which really is the vroom LPG but you do go through a bit more (and it's only available in Melbourne [truly, not shilling for Mobil here, old threads sing the praises of Mobil LPG and for overall balance, yes - definitely Mobil LPG wins] and I'm very lucky that the local independent Shell even has Supagas...great find! I'd thought it was old signage but no, the owner loves it).
Ok I will point it out for you that it was Gillard who stoped the 91 from going as it was set to go and such was on the cards in fact before that time, as that's how it goes, we knew this was coming you know and I would think that Ford maybe knew it as well .

Listen mate back in 1999 I had a new VS sequential V8 ute and I know for a fact that the VT 5.0L was to run 95 octane but some months after Holden had to paint the picture that 91 would suffice and they did this because people back in the day freaked out about the price of having to use 95.
Well Holden designed that engine to run on 95 but it does not perform at it's best on 91 as the spark timing retards off the table that it should be doing to be at it's most efficient now the ADR Law was very strict at the time and that's why the last 5.0L was a sequential setup and then they had to use the GEN 3 with Alloy heads to raise the compression for better efficiency as iron with a 4in bore could not.
Now I can inform you of my 179KW V8 ute that running 95 was the only way to go as to the extra cost of 95 at the time worked out just fine and a mats dad who owned a 1999 LTD 5.0L said the same as he had did the figures, but then some time later the price of 95 went up much higher maybe 2003 or so I am not sure. but like nowadays 95 is a fair jump in price. maybe it's because they do not sell enough of it and if the lowest was 95 I am sure that it would lower the cost some.
Old 31-08-2019, 12:32 PM   #71
mick taylor
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Well, 80% of the Australian petrol market is 91 RON. Falcons have always run at standard fuel...and I seem to remember that the Barra engine will run on down to 80 RON (meaning a non-turbo [the majority] version) can fuel up anywhere, possibly old fuel in the outback.

I don't mean to imply that 80 RON is great, just they can and will run that low.

91 RON fuel is good. A lot of people could not afford to run their cars on 95, let alone 98. Sulphation is an issue, and yes 91 contains higher sulphur levels. I still don't bother with 95.

The FG Falcon was released in February 2008. Kevin Rudd had only become Prime Minister in December 2007. How Julia Gillard could have time-travelled back to pre-release FG Falcon days, become Prime Minister instead of John Howard and/or Kevin Rudd AND "interfered" with ADR regulations (killing people and ducks...apparently) is quite a mystery! Two months would make your culprit...John Howard. I doubt the Ford Geelong plant and engineers would have had TIME to "force" 91 RON fuel onto the last Barra iteration (discounting the minor "point" upgrade to Euro V in the Mk11).

This is if we accept your hypothesis in the first place. Which ah, relies on time-travel.

I don't.
I have never heard of 80 octane at the pump in Australia unless it was back in the 1940's
I think that the 1948 Standard fuel was 83 octane and a FJ ran 6.5:1 compression.
Now lets say a carby car say a 1975 XB 250 of 9.3:1 they had to run on 97 octane Super back then, but what would you do if you were out woop woop and only 89 Standard was available to you, well you would have to retard the spark timing so she would not ping to get you to find a Super fuel, now that XB is going to lose a lot of power and chew a lot more fuel you know bro.

And I do have a time machine that goes back to the days that I can remember the facts you know. but other than that I would have to find Dr Who.

But then again if you are lucky enough to have EFI this takes care of the spark timing to suit, now early types knocked the timing back 12 deg directly but more modern ones like sequential can do it in 2 deg 4, 6, 8, 10 and 12 but at the end of the day if it had to do so you lose efficiency and performance to be sure and it's not what the engine should be doing as it's truly only a safety device truly.
now many people may be to stupid to understand the fact that their engines performance is being compromised and maybe they know the facts but are willing to compromise due to the cost and I did such with my VS in cold weather taking it easy I could get away with performance not being effected but on hot days and getting up it boy did it loose performance so much so that my wife's VS V6 auto would flog my V8 manual and that's a fact.
I could overtake one car on the highway and all was fine but come the next car and bang I have lost 50KW for sure on 91 with my 1999 5.0L I know what it's doing bro and why.
Old 31-08-2019, 03:11 PM   #72
K.P.

Mick...riiiiight, it was Julia Gillard. Man, you even talked about the FG Barra engine when Howard was in power.

You're getting strange.

Hey, had it ever occurred to you that this is a car enthusiast forum and most people just drive? And might not be able to afford to buy 95/98? That's actually the case! Hi? I can't afford to run my FG on petrol and have always had dual fuel Falcons. Like umpteen thousands of people.

Your mind is not great. First Julia Gillard changed ADR in Opposition in 2006-7, then it's in 2010-12 as PM.

Bullswool.
Old 31-08-2019, 03:21 PM   #73
K.P.

I've never had a Falcon or derivative (non-turbo) not drive very well on 91, 95, or 98. AU Fairmont, AU Fairmont Ghia, and now FG XR6. I've never found 95 to be worth the cost vs performance gains as stated 3 weeks ago. 98, yes.

I drive on petrol regularly, not let the petrol side languish as too many dual-fuel car owners do. It never pays to.

I don't even understand your posts. I do, but relevance? Additive thread! Aren't you just being a sexist conservative trying to blame Julia Gillard for all and anything at any time petroleum-wise in the last 12 years it seems?

Not sure that Mobil Supreme 98+ is less economic than BP Ultimate now, seems about the same but better performing after checking today's drive.

I have to try Vortex 98 in this car, never used it in this one, it was decent in my last car but behind (slightly) V-Power (new additive package) and definitely behind BP Ultimate. I've only used Mobil Supreme 98+ just recently...top pick for me. Longevity? Unsure. V-Power is great short-term, 1-2 weeks then fades.

Last edited by K.P.; 31-08-2019 at 03:44 PM.
Old 31-08-2019, 04:00 PM   #74
K.P.

Mick. I never said there was 80 RON petrol, just the Barra engine WILL run on down to 80 RON. Not like fresh or recent 91, but will. Stale fuel in the middle of nowhere. It happens.

I swear, this IS getting strange. There has never been 80 RON petrol in my lifetime, and I was born in the early 70's. Standard, Super, blend thereof of your choice, then LRP, ULP etc.

Nothing has been 80 RON.
Old 01-09-2019, 10:21 AM   #75
mick taylor
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Mick...riiiiight, it was Julia Gillard. Man, you even talked about the FG Barra engine when Howard was in power.

You're getting strange.

Hey, had it ever occurred to you that this is a car enthusiast forum and most people just drive? And might not be able to afford to buy 95/98? That's actually the case! Hi? I can't afford to run my FG on petrol and have always had dual fuel Falcons. Like umpteen thousands of people.

Your mind is not great. First Julia Gillard changed ADR in Opposition in 2006-7, then it's in 2010-12 as PM.

Bullswool.
I was not trying to be political at all and I don't give a rats who it was. but just stating who it was that changed the point or as it stood before she did such was that 91 was going to be phased out and that's a fact.

The point about the Barra engine was because you made the point of the power difference of this engine on 91 and 95 and 98 octane and thus the point of reference to this fact as no such has been published as to the engines before.
But look at the Barra engine is proof of the fuel worth as to power shown is a fact, not to mention that this engine is much more advanced then the one before it and when Ford make such a thing they are looking to the future you know as they had to up date it for the years coming ahead.

What people can afford or not is not the point.
Old 01-09-2019, 10:49 AM   #76
ryeman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default New BP fuels additive announced

In any case the fuels for the ICE will be supplanted by the photovoltaic ergs from your house roof.........if the Australian private sector is permitted that is.

(I guess I’ll soon be banned here too .)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Facts or the twitterverse, your choice!

M3SR+ .......MG ZS EV
ryeman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-09-2019, 03:28 PM   #77
K.P.

Mick...what people can afford is a massive point. "People whinging about the price of 95" as you put it in a dismissive, elitist car buff way does not transfer well to the general automotive public or the petroleum market when to many drivers their car is an a-b device, they may like their car but it's just transport to them. I too am a car buff but we are enthusiasts, so the social aspect of petrol pricing has to be taken into context. For many struggling families and people fuel is just another expense.

If you weren't trying to be political why blame one politician (wrongly) for something you perceive to be wrong with a very refutable argument - ragging on a female PM (Julia Gillard) seemingly because she is a woman using emotive language insisting she is/was responsible for human and animal deaths just isn't on, especially when as you finally admit after four posts, it was no specific politician nor party?

Anyway, pax Mick. I truly appreciate your knowledge. I entered into your thread intending on writing "A 1979 Aston Martin Lagonda". I saw a superbly droolworthy example in my mid-teens through the window of a Richmond (Melbourne) automotive auction house. It was blue, stunningly wedge-shaped and unforgettable, $76,000 mid-80's dollars. I pressed my face to the glass many a time - lucky owner who bought it!

I too love my ICE vehicle Ryeman, interesting reports from motoring experts in the USA where Tesla cars are on the increase opine that as yet, electric vehicles do not have the passion or driving excitement. One assumes that would apply to BYD cars (BYD are the largest EV manufacturer in the world) and other EV manufacturers. I guess that passion will come in time!

I still feel weird in hybrid or stop-start vehicles! The odd sensation seems foreign, and no engine noise whatsoever at the lights feels weird as a passenger. I've never driven one to be honest.

Last edited by K.P.; 01-09-2019 at 03:51 PM. Reason: A few typos and linking words.
Old 01-09-2019, 04:00 PM   #78
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

What's the price for E85? Is it still 20c/l cheaper than 98? Or have they jacked up the prices?
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-09-2019, 04:09 PM   #79
K.P.

I offset my FG carbon footprint via Greenfleet carbon offsets https://greenfleet.secure.force.com/...ype=individual - endemically biodiverse native forest is planted on degraded land in Australia and New Zealand which also creates homes for wildlife as well as acting as a carbon sink - large car cost is $75 a year.

Hiya Franco Cozzo. I didn't even know it was cheaper! Anyone? There were a few E85 pumps at service stations in Melbourne's North where I used to live but God knows where one near to me is now!
This user likes this post:
Old 01-09-2019, 04:19 PM   #80
ryeman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

I too love my ICE vehicle Ryeman, interesting reports from motoring experts in the USA where Tesla cars are on the increase opine that as yet, electric vehicles do not have the passion or driving excitement. One assumes that would apply to BYD cars (BYD are the largest EV manufacturer in the world) and other EV manufacturers. I guess that passion will come in time!

I still feel weird in hybrid or stop-start vehicles! The odd sensation seems foreign, and no engine noise whatsoever at the lights feels weird as a passenger. I've never driven one to be honest.

1/ I think Rowan Atkinson would say you were lucky you never had a Lagonda ......the quality was awful from what he said.
2/ Check out Sandy Munro re Tesla and perhaps Jack Rickard too.
3/ E10 give me fabulous economy in our two turbos over many thousands of kms.
4/ EVs are going to scare the tripe out of the old manufacturers....real soon.

M3SR+ .......MG ZS EV
Old 01-09-2019, 04:30 PM   #81
K.P.

1. I just loved the looks of it Ryeman.
2. Must check it out, was just stuff I stumbled upon. Mind you a Tesla or BYD EV is around the $70k mark but economies of scale. Also power source of charging station/home - factor re: carbon or moot point.
3. I nearly killed my AU Ghia with E10, dual fuel (has to be used up quickly say 2 weeks, a month on the car was violently shuddering - others report good results in turbo vehicles). E10 is rarely priced in VIC to offset power loss. The one time I saw it cheap cheap (5-6c vs 91 at a United) is when I bought it! I do check, it sits juuust around but noooot quite the power differential vs 91. My FG XR6 is dual fuel too, if not and the price was right I'd use it, know people that do gill up when it's better value w/no problems petrol only vehicles.
4. Maybe so. I don't want one - personally.

Last edited by K.P.; 01-09-2019 at 04:41 PM.
Old 01-09-2019, 04:30 PM   #82
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
I offset my FG carbon footprint via Greenfleet carbon offsets https://greenfleet.secure.force.com/...ype=individual - endemically biodiverse native forest is planted on degraded land in Australia and New Zealand which also creates homes for wildlife as well as acting as a carbon sink - large car cost is $75 a year.

Hiya Franco Cozzo. I didn't even know it was cheaper! Anyone? There were a few E85 pumps at service stations in Melbourne's North where I used to live but God knows where one near to me is now!
Used to be one at Caltex Tullamarine on Sharps Rd but I think Caltex is out of E85 now, United was cheaper than 98 when they introduced it.
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-09-2019, 05:02 PM   #83
K.P.

Franco! Nice to meet you! I didn't realise it was THE Franco Cozzo. I love your furniture, some Italian designs are stunning. And your advertising. When you started advertising again a couple of years ago it was like seeing an old friend!

Yes, I haven't seen one outside the North (I'm sure there is), and aside from the flex-fuel Commodore, there's not enough vehicles on the road to accomodate too many pumps. Caltex don't refine here...I think Australian ethanol comes from QLD sugarcane waste. I remember as a kid watching a show on TV, in Brazil there was a car or car/s modified to run on beetroot juice! Astounding.

Henry Ford was originally going to power the T with ethanol but was persuaded by the Rockefellers to use petrol.
This user likes this post:
Old 01-09-2019, 05:29 PM   #84
K.P.

https://motormouth.com.au/ no E85 near me but Motormouth is national. So if like Asagaai you want to try your favourite 98 RON (in his and my case, Mobil Supreme 98+) mixed 10-15% with E85 you can search for it here. Or try the Mobil Supreme 98+ alone - it's really that good.
Old 01-09-2019, 05:29 PM   #85
ryeman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Pure ethanol is America’s racing fuel, but I think it’s hydroscopic, so in a dual fuel vehicle which is normally run on LPG, perhaps not ideal.

BP indicate they will have 5 min charging in 2021 as they transition to ZEVs.

M3SR+ .......MG ZS EV
Old 01-09-2019, 05:36 PM   #86
K.P.

Hygroscopic is the correct term for a water-attracting substance (brake fluid bar DOT 5.1 which is silicone-based and needs specific brake lines is an example). Yes, correct, ethanol is used in racing. I wondered whether to mention that, but indeed. And no ethanol in a dual-fuel car, as I found out. The whole engine was shuddering violently in the mounting upon starting due to water content upon startup (venturi LPG 10 sec. start on petrol, it was scary the whole car was shuddering along with the engine). Luckily I was parked in a supermarket at the time, a few people mucked around with the engine we got it going. Happened a couple more times until I got new petrol. My LPG guy at the time told me no E10 again unless I used it all within 1-2 weeks, and as a general rule not to use it as the majority of times you are running in LPG and the same petrol stays in the tank longer.

A testament to both the Tickford VCT engine in the AU Fairmont Ghia and subchassis, general build: no damage whatsoever!

Last edited by K.P.; 01-09-2019 at 05:51 PM. Reason: Additional information vis-a-vis ethanol in dual-fuel cars.
Old 01-09-2019, 05:45 PM   #87
ryeman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Hygroscopic is the correct term for a water-attracting substance (brake fluid bar DOT 5.1 which is silicone-based and needs specific brake lines is an example). Yes, correct, ethanol is used in racing. I wondered whether to mention that, but indeed.

My FG LPI conversion rarely used petrol simply because I was a cheapskate, but the age of the small amount of fuel always gnawed at me.

M3SR+ .......MG ZS EV
Old 01-09-2019, 07:56 PM   #88
K.P.

It's DOT 5 not 5.1 that is silicone based sorry. DOT 5 is not hygroscopic.
Old 01-09-2019, 08:14 PM   #89
K.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryeman View Post
My FG LPI conversion rarely used petrol simply because I was a cheapskate, but the age of the small amount of fuel always gnawed at me.

Ryeman, all you had/have to do is freshen it up with $5-10 worth of petrol every few weeks. This came straight from Mobil for their Special 91, but it's generally recommended you drive 20-30 minutes a week on petrol to keep the seals, gaskets and petrol componentry in peak condition as well as the startup on petrol until the engine is warmer with an SVI or LPI system so that was something I had already been doing.

You'll read that it's once a month - LPG mechanics and fitters will tell you weekly.

Going back to your original post in 2016, I didn't find any difference between the old additive package and new - to be frank, I didn't even notice (or know) it had changed. The odd thing about the old additive package was it made both my current and last car run roughly for a quarter of a tank, so much so that I swore never to use it again on the AU Ghia (it was that bad) then after the quarter tank had gone through it was great petrol!

Last edited by K.P.; 01-09-2019 at 08:32 PM.
Old 01-09-2019, 08:36 PM   #90
ryeman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Ryeman, all you had/have to do is freshen it up with $5-10 worth of petrol every few weeks. This came straight from Mobil for their Special 91, but it's generally recommended you drive 20-30 minutes a week on petrol to stop the seals and petrol componentry in peak condition as well as the startup on petrol until the engine is warmer with an SVI or LPI system so that was something I had already been doing.

You'll read that it's once a month - LPG mechanics and fitters will tell you weekly.

Going back to your original post in 2016, I didn't find any difference between the old additive package and new - to be frank, I didn't even notice it had changed. The odd thing about the old additive package was it made both my current and last car run roughly for a quarter of a tank, so much so that I swore never to use it again on the AU Ghia (it was that bad) then after the quarter tank had gone through it was great petrol!

Yeah, the FG XR6 is some time ago but I hated the fact that it wasn’t a ‘dry’ start but a wet petrol one instead.
Our 2019 Vitara 1.4t doesn’t have stop/start and I’m beginning to wonder if the WLTP programme reduces the emphasis on idling and thus the extra ss complex isn’t worth it.
At 74 I’m determined that my last car will be probably a Model 3, Kona Electric/eNiro or VW id19.

M3SR+ .......MG ZS EV