Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 01-04-2018, 12:34 PM   #61
snap0964
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: The trials and tribulations of owning an e series

Quote:
Originally Posted by snap0964 View Post
Don't use these - I've have two of them start leaking within months of fitment. The O ring sealing is a poor design, as it isn't retained properly. Use the metal ones - that's what I used as a replacement, and after 18 mths, it's been fine.I am travelling at the moment, but IIRC I do have one of those plastic ones stripped down in the car, should get some pics.
Quote:
Originally Posted by stock1991 View Post
ok thanks for that snap, appreciate the feedback
No probs Stocky - being OEM I thought they'd do the job. Only thing is they started leaking around roughly the same timespan every time. It's not til we stripped one down in the workshop to see why.
snap0964 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 01-04-2018, 01:26 PM   #62
Maka
Au Falcon = Mr Reliable

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Embodiment of the AFF spirit in his efforts with ACP. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by FGX-351 View Post
Itís worked stock.
Was the HSV media/development prototype so has a few factory extras like Yella Terra snout with 87mm pulley, 3:46 diff gears, R8 brakes and a VY ecu with a ďHSV 190Ē VY tune.

Like donít get me wrong itís been looked after and babied over the years but itís a case of the previous older gentleman owner doing consistent minor services but not so many majors.

I do everything myself so Iíve had to learn as I go but thatís also therapeutic in a way.
Since Iíve owned it and started replacing literally everything that I can the fuel economy has come right down, acceleration is has come down as well from my few visits to willowbank.
So I can definitely see and feel the results of my hard work.

Iíve replaced centrebearing, both cats with magnaflows, leads and plugs 3X now, coils, dfi module, all idle pulleys, TPS, IAC, both rocket gaskets, ABS module, 4 rotors and pads, ignition barrel and steering lock, battery, 2x cruise stalks, all dash globes incl T/C, Power & selector, engine & trans mounts with solid units, new charger oil, new charger coupler and a new PCV valve.

On my list to fix is the Lower intake gaskets with metal gaskets, also replacing lifters, pushrods, valve springs, 25mm manifold insulator and rockers while Iím in there.
Auto isnít happy so itís getting a refresh with b&m stage 2 shift kit and corvette servo and the pinion bearing in the diff needs to be replaced.

After all that Iíd love to maybe give it an exhaust and an intercooler but Iím pretty intent on keeping it stock*.
Right now its standard from the rims to the factory CD/tape player.
Nice work FGX-351, would have to be a bit of a weapon once all the maintenance is done! I'm a fan of the L67 powered Commodore's & HSV's but i love my Tickford Au Xr6 Vct & all Falcons in general a bit more.

A bit of a correction, my dads L67 is a Vx s2 Calais not a Vt, i was corrected by a family member.

Good luck with your HSV, hope you get it to where you want it, it'll be a ripper!!

cheers, Maka

Proud owner of a optioned keeper S1 Tickford Falcon AU XR6 VCT - "it's actually a better-balanced car than the XR8, goes almost as hard and uses about two-thirds of the fuel" (Drive.com 2007)
Maka is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-04-2018, 04:27 PM   #63
snap0964
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by stock1991 View Post
I notice this heater tap is plastic, supposedly to remove the possibility of rust. I would prefer to use a metal one only because it's the same as my current one but this is a Ford part so I don't know.

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/NOS-GENU...UAAOSwGvhT6D05
Stripped down you can see the O ring on the tap cylinder shaft, it fits in the housing as arrowed. Only Problem is the O ring isn't butted up and retained in the housing, it's allowed a couple of mm side movement along that shaft, so over time it will leak - just has to. The other end of tap isn't supported by a shaft, so it's allowed movement as well. You could mod this, but then the end cap is heat pressed on, so resealing will become an issue. So as I say - give them a miss, they're more trouble than they're worth.
2 users like this post:
Old 01-04-2018, 08:11 PM   #64
stock1991
Striving towards ordinary
Donating Member1

thanks for breaking it down snap, I'd already decided to take your advice. I will source a metal one from a reputable supplier, if you have an opinion on that I would appreciate that also
stock1991 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 01-04-2018, 09:50 PM   #65
snap0964
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Stocky, I used the metal style, e.g. https://www.ebay.com.au/p/Heater-Val...75.c100623.m-1
They're all the same, search Ebay for the cheapest, I bought a batch of them around $10 each IIRC. To swap them out, use hose clamps or vicegrips with tape wrapped around the jaws on the hoses on each side. Otherwise you have to drop nearly the whole cooling system capacity.
4 users like this post:
Old 01-04-2018, 10:09 PM   #66
stock1991
Donating Member1

cheers snap, I need to do the hoses too. Guaranteed they are 27 years old so just peace of mind
Old 02-04-2018, 12:41 AM   #67
snap0964
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Yeah, fair call mate. Probably best to shop around for a complete hose kit like Gates and Mackay have - It'll be cheaper than buying all individual hoses. You get new clips as well.
I remember on a trip away the 10mm hose between the front and rear bypass pipes blew - I'd changed every other hose - except that one, so it pays to do them all.
Old 02-04-2018, 12:49 AM   #68
Sprintey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Ah the humble E series. Sedans Ford actually built with a plastic trim inside the bootlid, cars with a windscreen reservoir warning light...

Stage 1: First experience was girlfriend's mum's new 92 EB2 - that knocked my dad's VR for six. so much more solidly built, drivetrain was strong and quiet compared to the rattley Holden.

Stage 2: Then in 2000 got a 94 ED Classic with 50,000 on the clock. Fantastic family car now that we had a family! So comfortable on the long country runs. I still miss it. It was very reliable, but I did get the dreaded phone call at work one day that the engine temp warning light had gone - luckily a radiator hose had split, not the head gasket. Should have kept it, I miss that car, those were good times.

Stage 4 or 5: 2009 decide to buy a Sprint, I figure hey its an ED, it will be like the old loved Classic, how about try the manual V8. How wrong I was, the Sprint may have the same bodyshell but it has the DNA of a monster compared to the 6. I've owned it from the bogan stage to the rapidly appreciating in value stage, and it goes club plates next year. It's been a less used backup family car, I've grizzled at the manual when stuck in town traffic, and loved the open roads with it. Taught one of the children to drive manual in it - his friends are learning in far more pedestrian (though newer and safer) vehicles. In carparks full of small/mid SUVs, the Sprint is really beginning to look classic and cool - low, wide, distinct. Under orders not to sell it.

We tend to forget the E series was tested by styling clinics against the best Europe had to offer, and buyers thought it better looking. They were very capable cars, and the EL Ghias are quite a nice piece of kit too.

Now the Sprint is getting a bit rarified and will be stored, I might need to replace it with another stage 4 bogan express to run around in. You know, the type you don't care so much if it gets a ding (or worse) in a carpark, and maybe it will be valued one day if you find a nice one. Imagine running around in an XY Fairmont in the early 1990s for example. Thinking maybe AU Fairmont - what say you Maka? haha
Old 02-04-2018, 08:29 AM   #69
Maka
Au Falcon = Mr Reliable

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Embodiment of the AFF spirit in his efforts with ACP. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprintey View Post
Thinking maybe AU Fairmont - what say you Maka? haha
Go for it Sprintey, after all Au's especially series 1's are imo E series in disguise lol!

For a daily i would probably go the standard live axle Fairmont. I say that only to avoid any gremlins from the irs if needing bushes etc, but if you are up to it, grab the Ghia, you will not be disappointed for sure!!

Au Sr's & Futura's worth considering too imo, i loved & miss my s1 Futura & if one comes along again at the right price, i would jump on it!

I hope you grab one Sprintey, good luck mate!!

cheers, Maka

Proud owner of a optioned keeper S1 Tickford Falcon AU XR6 VCT - "it's actually a better-balanced car than the XR8, goes almost as hard and uses about two-thirds of the fuel" (Drive.com 2007)
Old 02-04-2018, 09:27 AM   #70
roddy1960
Donating Member
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maka View Post
Go for it Sprintey, after all Au's especially series 1's are imo E series in disguise lol!

For a daily i would probably go the standard live axle Fairmont. I say that only to avoid any gremlins from the irs if needing bushes etc, but if you are up to it, grab the Ghia, you will not be disappointed for sure!!

Au Sr's & Futura's worth considering too imo, i loved & miss my s1 Futura & if one comes along again at the right price, i would jump on it!

I hope you grab one Sprintey, good luck mate!!

cheers, Maka
Oh yeah , You're so right . An EB or ED are well sorted out . . There's a couple of EB Fairmonts kicking around my area currently and they do look good , one especially . One is a dark blue (not sure of the colour name) ED Fairmont wagon AND it's a sweet ol' V8 too . The bloke who owns it is a chef and he drives it constantly , talk to him often and he loves his wagon .

My E Series was a 1996 EF ll Futura with a lovely 4.0 and a 5 speed manual gearbox . Owned it from 1998 to 2003 until I spotted a silver AU ll Futura that I still own and have no intentions of trading or not using .

My EF only had one issue . Bloody A/C needed re gassing twice and another one locally owned at the time had exactly the same problem . A slow leak bad valve that required a lot of hassle to get to apparently in behind the dash , so I topped up the gas instead . Otherwise it was a pleasure to own .

The E series , EA , EB , ED , EF and EL were beaut cars , led to a great platform from which evolved into AU , then B Series and F Series . Reading the other day that the maligned EA , mostly due to early head gasket and fuel injection problems was still a leap forward . Still reckon the EB GT is one of the best looking of all time . There's a couple of Shannons episodes on E series .. Here's a couple for the beaut EB and EF/EL

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MJPzQmfFZMU

https://www.shannons.com.au/club/vid...tv-episode-95/ Enjoy if you haven't seen them .

Last edited by roddy1960; 02-04-2018 at 09:33 AM.
roddy1960 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 02-04-2018, 02:08 PM   #71
Sprintey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Thanks Roddy I was just about to come back and post those links, a reasonably good intro to the E series.

In those vids they are a bit unkind to the EF - when I bought the ED Classic on the yard I had actually been haggling hard on a grey EF in 42 degree heat, couldnt come to agreement with the dealer. I went for a walk, saw the ED, came back, made an offer which was accepted, it was meant to be. Now I realise I dodged the EF suspension setup, yay!

yes Maka I nearly pulled the trigger on an AUII Monty wagon last year, will keep looking. Either that or EL Fairmont wagon, if I can find dual airbags. Mother in law had AUII SR from new, that was a nice car, very well put together. Is is really a big deal owning the AU IRS come maintenance time? Can't be worse than the Control Blade in the Terry, surely?

One other point I once heard - Holden kept a profile of the EB in the styling studio when styling the VT, to keep the sense of proportion. EB was a sales winner and Holden were wise to follow the theme.
Old 02-04-2018, 03:42 PM   #72
Maka
Au Falcon = Mr Reliable

At least with control blade parts are relatively easy to come by, though the Au's irs is better by most acounts but some parts are like unobtainuim but there are ways to keep up maintenance on them lol.

I liked the proportions of the VK Commodore actually, though the EB Falcon was a little bigger all round but easily just as homely to drive imo but much better all round.

cheers, Maka

Old 02-04-2018, 04:18 PM   #73
stock1991
Donating Member1

I have a vague recollection, when smartshield was introduced, Ford had a challenge to anyone who could break into the car could keep it. I cant find anything in google about it but does anyone else remember something like this?
3 users like this post:
Old 02-04-2018, 09:46 PM   #74
Sar4890
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Wow a lot has been discussed since ive been away stocky as for the heater tap ive used the composite metal/ plastic and replaced the hoses as well it seems to be holding up well.
Sar4890 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 02-04-2018, 10:30 PM   #75
stock1991
Donating Member1

I found this in an article about car security " How good was Smartlock? Well, the South Australia police let an experienced light-fingered crew loose on a Falcon to see how long it took them to get the thing started. The state’s finest car thieves finally went home after four days. On the bus, too, because they didn’t get that Falcon going."

https://www.streetmachine.com.au/fea...eft-technology
2 users like this post:
Old 03-04-2018, 12:29 AM   #76
FGX-351
Supercharged Mang-mobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprintey View Post

One other point I once heard - Holden kept a profile of the EB in the styling studio when styling the VT, to keep the sense of proportion. EB was a sales winner and Holden were wise to follow the theme.
Wouldnít surprise me, they also designed the VT/X dash from the EF/L as well.
09/00 VX HSV XU6 Build #0001 of 0171
http://fordforums.com.au/showthread....09#post5571209
-- Best E/T: |14.982 @92.12mph | R/T:0.013 | 60' 2.213| 330: 6.283 | 1/8: 9.624 @ 73.17mph | 1000: 12.529 | 25Deg, N/A Hum, 1010mb | Willowbank Raceway 7/12/16

Tickford EL Falcon XR6 RIP
-- Factory Manual
-- Best E/T: |14.991 @ 92.71mph | R/T: 0.607 | 60': 2.215 | 660': 9.665 |13Deg, 86%H, 1024mb, 184RA @ Willowbank Raceway
FGX-351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-04-2018, 10:50 AM   #77
roddy1960
Donating Member
Donating Member2

I owned a 1981 VC Commodore for a while . Bought it in 1983. Dad had bought an HX Kingswood a bit earlier . My commodore driving home one night went Bang ,Bang , Bang really loudly really quickly so I drove/coasted it very slowly to the top of the Pass I was on at the time . Left it there and got a lift home . An hour or so later I got the local mechanic to come with me to tow it in .
Once we got back to the garage he sheepishly asked me to turn it over . Then he yelled Turn it off , turn it off . I left it there and came in a day or two later to be told that the blue 202 had broken a piston extension . Apparently Holden had added more stroke to the 202 from the red motor with an extension and one had let go . Basically unfixable . Decided to go Repco long motor to save a lot of mucking around . If memory serves it cost me about $1500 and about a week off the road .

Later on the 4 speed transmission mounts collapsed , the heater core let go and the rust ate away the base of the door sills and other places . I nearly had to give it away to get rid of it in 1987 (had it for about 4 years all up ) and bought an optioned 1984 XE GL Falcon .

Everything worked and it was the dear old 4.1 litre crossie . She had cloth interior , optional A/C , a tacho instead of a stupid economy meter , alloys and a radio cassette. Gold she was . Kept it for about five years and bought a 1986 Telstar Ghia 2.0 litre five speed , eventually trading that on my E Series EF Futura in late 1999 .

Then came the AU..you know what I think about that because I drive everybody mad on that . Added a BA Fairmont Ghia for a time , then traded that on the FG XR6 to share a shed with the AU .

So , I've had two X Series , XB ute and XE GL

One E Series , the EF Futura

One AU Series (currently) Futura

One B Series BA Fairmont Ghia

One F series FG XR6 currently)

So I've had at least one of all five series of Falcons over the years (X ,E,AU,B and F ...happy about that .

Add in three Ford Escorts , L (new) , GL insurance replacement and an old second hand Ghia many years later , The Ford Telstar too of course .

Directly on topic , the E Series EF being a fairly rare five speed and a late run EF built just before the EL came along in 1996 was a really nice car other than the A/C leak. Never gave any trouble at all other than the A/C thing and I whacked a fair few kays on her too . There's a lot to like from the EA to the EL that's for sure .
roddy1960 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 05-04-2018, 07:14 PM   #78
Sar4890
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

A question for you e heads out there my odometer in the ea stopped a while back the speedo works and somtimes even the tach joins the party is it worth getting fixed or live with it considering its not driven all that much and gets an oil change every 12 months regardless of the kays it travels.
Old 05-04-2018, 07:33 PM   #79
stock1991
Donating Member1

mate if your happy with just the speedo I'd say in the overall scheme of things having a working odometer is probably of little consequence. I wouldn't of thought it would affect its value greatly, I mean the little value that these 6cyl cars have

Last edited by stock1991; 05-04-2018 at 07:45 PM.
Old 05-04-2018, 07:47 PM   #80
Maka
Au Falcon = Mr Reliable

Here's a link to someone on ebay that repairs EA clusters, just in case you are considering repairing the cluster Sar4890 -

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?m...2F132487317537

No affiliation, just trying to help out, good luck!

cheers, Maka

Old 05-04-2018, 08:04 PM   #81
Sar4890
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Thanks stocky and maka,
As for the EA's value that one thing in not overly concerned about i just like the old bus the value of cars has never been my thing i buy them because i like them. I'm not even fussed about their performance which is just as well you could time any of them with a calender.

Last edited by Sar4890; 05-04-2018 at 08:10 PM. Reason: more to add
2 users like this post:
Old 05-04-2018, 08:11 PM   #82
stock1991
Donating Member1

I agree, I briefly considered getting something more expensive, I actually signed up at a dealer for a V8 BF ghia. Pretty much as soon as I jumped back in my old car I thought, why? I actually like this old car better than the BF. I put it down to nostalgia but I decided I'd enjoy spending a couple of grand on my car and drive something from my past. Luckily SA has cooling off laws : )
Old 05-04-2018, 08:15 PM   #83
Sar4890
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Yep I liken the EA to and old pair of slippers daggy and uncool but comfy as hell.
Old 05-04-2018, 08:22 PM   #84
stock1991
Donating Member1

EA's are very cool in my book lol, especially when you see one looking factory and well preserved. In fact I really notice any old car that looks original. I use to laugh at old guys who kept their Mark 1 cortinas shined up. Now I get it
3 users like this post:
Old 05-04-2018, 08:29 PM   #85
Sar4890
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Yeah same here being of the street machine generation i couldnt see why any one would keep hubcaps etc. Time has shown that original cars have a better story to tell and the people that kept them that way were onto something
3 users like this post:
Old 05-04-2018, 10:54 PM   #86
Sprintey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Always been OCD about factory original cars and bits, the market seems to agree with that. but for me it's the styling, usually the hubcaps/alloys/colours are done best when done by their original stylists. If I see one that's been altered, first thought is "ah, I'd have to find original alloys, I'd have to find and unlock an original radio..."
Old 05-04-2018, 11:32 PM   #87
Sar4890
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I think that about my coupe but alas it been down the modification route just far enough to make going back to totally original is in the way too hard basket so day two " sort of" is where it will stay. I'm luckier with my e and b series they are pretty much how Ford intended them.
Old 05-04-2018, 11:38 PM   #88
BENT_8
BLACK OVAL INC.

I remember when the E series first arrived in 88, i was in yr7 at school and the mob who did our School photos had an EA and a VN wagon. I wasn't into cars back then but my best mate was and so we had a good look through them both, impressive back then compared to the outgoing models.
My first drive of an E series was in 94 when the inlaws bought a new EF in Regency red, they let me drive it from Maitland to kadina to get the little ladys hair done for her grad dinner. At the time i was getting around in a HJ GTS so it was light years ahead and would eat the old 253 for breakfast.
We moved to Sydney in mid 96 and went looking for a locally plated car and found a mint 88 EA Fairmont with 120k's on it, the yard next door had a Ghia but had done almost 200k's for the same money and at the time i didnt really know the difference between the two drivelines so we bought the CFI Fairmont.
Things didnt work out for us over there so we returned to SA.
At the time my Wifes Brother had a white 90 VN Executive with one of those massive SSV bodykits which they thought was the bee's knee's, one day i gave them a run for their money and as hard as they could push they couldnt outrun me, ended up causing a huge ****fight because they didnt like being beaten by the supposedly slow Ford..lol
I might not have won a traffic light sprint but on the bumpy country roads between Pt Victoria and Maitland the Fairmont stayed sure footed whereas the Commodore was nervous and a handful so they backed out.
Eventually the head gasket went on it and moved it on.
I went back to X series cars after that, a handful of XE and XF's in different guises.
I ventured back into an EA in 2001 but it too had head issues and so i traded it for an EF Fairmont at the dealership i was working at.
I bought a nice EF with Tickford gas in 2003
I had an ED Ghia for a while before i traded it on a BA.
I bought an EF XR8 ex chaser in 2005 and sold it soon after as some clown reversed into it.
I bought an EL Fairmont off a member of this forum in 2006 which was easily the best of the bunch
My Nephew bought a beautiful EB Ghia with the full leather trim and when he upgraded to an EF i ended up with it but found the seat bolsters too hard and high to get in and out of.
The Nephews EF did the headgasket so we dropped an AU motor in it and never had trouble again, best mod any E series owner could do to be honest.

So yeah, having owned 9 or 10 of them in many different forms i have mixed feelings about the E series cars, great to drive but always left me wondering when the head gasket would fail.

EGO SY TS TERRITORY

LIFE'S GREY AREA'S
BENT_8 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 05-04-2018, 11:48 PM   #89
Sar4890
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Yeah the heads ended many a good e series and if mine ever succumbs to that i might be at a crossroad but until that day its happy motoring.
Old 06-04-2018, 12:04 AM   #90
zabatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sar4890 View Post
A question for you e heads out there my odometer in the ea stopped a while back the speedo works and somtimes even the tach joins the party is it worth getting fixed or live with it considering its not driven all that much and gets an oil change every 12 months regardless of the kays it travels.
Odometer stopping while speedo still works is common problem with VDO guage clusters..odometer sun gear siezes and teeth break off it causing odometer to stop turning....you need to replace the small plastic sun gear...these are available for under 10 dollars on ebay and are very easy to replace..you may even be able to find a you tube vid on how to do it.
zabatron is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post