Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 09-01-2021, 09:08 PM   #241
jstanovic
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Cars you don't see many of anymore

There us a YouTube video somewhere of guys getting a 3.5 Magna as fast as they could down the 1/4 mile with stock engine and trans. They gutted it to reduce weight, modified exhaust, welded diff etc but they eventually made it to the low 14s from memory.
jstanovic is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-01-2021, 09:52 PM   #242
hayseed

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldel View Post
Which one was you? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TapMs1zM7hA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ytAp6DGNInI

Don't watch unless you want to see lots of cars you don't see many of anymore being destroyed. I had to stop watching because I can't stand the sight of wagon on wagon violence

That Yellow H-TKG Ute in the first Video was far Too good to be in a Demo Derby.. IMHO.
hayseed is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-01-2021, 10:15 PM   #243
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For the excellent car-care guide 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mondeomatureguy View Post
Danzvtil was talking about Mitsubishi Magna's. Before my wife and i brought our Mondeo in 2012 we had a second hand TJ Magna 3.5 litre engine.

The thing was a rocket and shocked some people the way it went. One night about midnight we were coming home from a Wedding and driving along Rookwood Rd where the old Lidcombe Hospital used to be.

I got the red lights and next to me a young guy in a Hyundai pulled up next to with his mate in the passenger seat. I could hear his mate saying "its only a Magna blow him off when the lights turn green" and he was revving the engine looking at me.
I must say i would not normally do this but after they both started laughing at my car i thought "why not".

The light went green and i took off and when i looked in the rear vision mirror he was about 50 meters behind me. I got another set of light he caught up then they went green and i did it again to him.

I got another red light and i leaned out the window and said "Magna's not as slow as you think are they"?.
He didnt say a word but my wife looked at me and said "are you going to act your age now and slow down"?
Ha ha ha, well done!
Mustang GT

T3 TS50 - gone but not forgotten
DFB FGXR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 09-01-2021, 10:29 PM   #244
.:4:.
Kicking back

Lately ive been seeing up the shop what looks like a geniuine original owner. So an old bloke. But in an imaculate vp commodore executive. And its a 5L. Paint is amazing, no hub caps, just dress rings. But its a V8, and not, or doesnt appear to be in bad shape at all. Id say, if it didnt get stolen and not recovered, my grandpas 5L eb fairmont would be simarlarly uncommon.
.:4:. is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-01-2021, 11:07 PM   #245
X-AHH
The good, bad and fugly
Donating Member2

I owned a Toyota Lexcen in the 90s.

Basically a re-badged VP Commodore.

Not very many around anymore and the ones that are for sale seem to be much cheaper than the equivalent Holden badged vehicle.
Old 11-01-2021, 06:08 PM   #246
GCRXR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by xahh View Post
I owned a Toyota Lexcen in the 90s.

Basically a re-badged VP Commodore.

Not very many around anymore and the ones that are for sale seem to be much cheaper than the equivalent Holden badged vehicle.
A colleague owned a Lexan. He insisted it was a better vehicle than the "equivalent" Commodore, as Toyotas are better built. The power of a badge.
Old 11-01-2021, 06:34 PM   #247
.:4:.
Kicking back

My ex wifes dad was a die hard holden man. At the time, the weapon of choice was a 93/4 holden nova. So a badge job on a corolla. He would get so grumpy when going to holden for a service and getting told to go to toyota. The only things that didnt say toyota were the badge on the front, the badge on the steering wheel, and the badge on the boot lid. Theres nothing wrong with corollas, but you know, its no holden...
.:4:. is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-01-2021, 11:01 PM   #248
mondeomatureguy

Hi guys,
Yesterday 11/1/2020 i took my wife for a drive to Yass and took her out to lunch.

After lunch we went to a park and sat in the car talking. About ten minutes later a guy pulled up in a Ford Mustang it was a 1965 Model left hand drive still and it was yellow.

I talked to the owner he brought it 11 years ago for $19,000 dollars and it had a 289 but now has a 302 in it.
Its still got drum brakes all around and its automatic and body wise pretty good .
mondeomatureguy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-01-2021, 12:40 AM   #249
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by mondeomatureguy View Post
Danzvtil was talking about Mitsubishi Magna's. Before my wife and i brought our Mondeo in 2012 we had a second hand TJ Magna 3.5 litre engine.

The thing was a rocket and shocked some people the way it went. One night about midnight we were coming home from a Wedding and driving along Rookwood Rd where the old Lidcombe Hospital used to be.

I got the red lights and next to me a young guy in a Hyundai pulled up next to with his mate in the passenger seat. I could hear his mate saying "its only a Magna blow him off when the lights turn green" and he was revving the engine looking at me.
I must say i would not normally do this but after they both started laughing at my car i thought "why not".

The light went green and i took off and when i looked in the rear vision mirror he was about 50 meters behind me. I got another set of light he caught up then they went green and i did it again to him.

I got another red light and i leaned out the window and said "Magna's not as slow as you think are they"?.
He didnt say a word but my wife looked at me and said "are you going to act your age now and slow down"?
I had a 3.5 Magna as my first car. It was a great car and pretty quick for such a standard family car. Some may even say it was the line between a performance car and a normal car for the late 90s early 2000s.
Ben73 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-01-2021, 10:58 AM   #250
Dr Terry
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by .:4:. View Post
My ex wifes dad was a die hard holden man. At the time, the weapon of choice was a 93/4 holden nova. So a badge job on a corolla. He would get so grumpy when going to holden for a service and getting told to go to toyota. The only things that didnt say toyota were the badge on the front, the badge on the steering wheel, and the badge on the boot lid. Theres nothing wrong with corollas, but you know, its no holden...
The irony was that both the Corolla & Nova were actually built by Holden at the Dandenong factory in Victoria.

Dr Terry
Dr Terry is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-01-2021, 11:16 AM   #251
ute83
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Saw a red e type the other day. Was quite good to see the old girl.
ute83 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 13-01-2021, 09:19 PM   #252
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For the excellent car-care guide 

I spotted a tidy Holden Camira the other day, similar to the one below.

Mustang GT

T3 TS50 - gone but not forgotten
DFB FGXR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-01-2021, 03:34 PM   #253
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by danzvtil View Post
Just last year before I sold it, my mechanic was replacing the rocker cover gasket on my TJ wagon 3.5, he took it for a test drive around the block. He couldn’t believe how strong the engine was “it spins the wheels in second!” ;)
it certainly did spin the wheel in second ... was a tad hard to get off the line in the wet though.

I got to drive it a bit while she lived up at Bribie Island .... so came across many Commode drivers ... most expecting easy wins.

I was most surprised that the VR/VS SS commodores were slower than it from standstill. I think Mitsu got a gearing right in them to get them moving well.

Those poor G-Grid II's though as I mentioned.
Mechan1k is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-01-2021, 08:25 PM   #254
xkxlxm
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I was driving behind an XC wagon today; yellow, a little bit of rust, bonnet a different colour, tape on the driver's door to hold on the side trim.

Also saw a P76 being towed on a trailer; looked like it had just been painted in Targa Florio scheme; trim not yet installed

On Tuesday I went to look at a Ford Prefect ute, A53A model - wasn't in the condition I wanted; at the same place there was a HD Holden ute (poor condition), two Chev utes (1946?) and an Austin 7.
xkxlxm is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-01-2021, 09:38 PM   #255
oldel
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Anyone watch "desert collectors" or fox or 7mate?
Not really a show about cars but there's a lot of cars in it - and the show is done better than most aussie "car shows".

I got hooked on it with the lake perkolilli races (red dust revival 2019), a whole bunch of pre 1939 cars and bikes racing on a dust track near kalgoorlie. I never knew it was an annual event before 1939, never knew there was that many old cars with owners prepared to race them. Lots of WA history in the show, lots of cars driven that I didn't know were still around in WA especially.
You have to sign in with 7plus to watch them but YT has teasers worth checking out to see if you find it interesting. Lots of cashed up miners and farmers have some decent cars out in the WA desert. Like I said, not a car show, but there's lots of cars in it, and better than most car shows anyway.

If you click this link below and let YT autoplay you can see a bit of each episode in order.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nFSsFlIqp4s
oldel is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-01-2021, 11:00 PM   #256
hayseed

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldel View Post
Anyone watch "desert collectors" or fox or 7mate?
Not really a show about cars but there's a lot of cars in it - and the show is done better than most aussie "car shows".

I got hooked on it with the lake perkolilli races (red dust revival 2019), a whole bunch of pre 1939 cars and bikes racing on a dust track near kalgoorlie. I never knew it was an annual event before 1939, never knew there was that many old cars with owners prepared to race them. Lots of WA history in the show, lots of cars driven that I didn't know were still around in WA especially.
You have to sign in with 7plus to watch them but YT has teasers worth checking out to see if you find it interesting. Lots of cashed up miners and farmers have some decent cars out in the WA desert. Like I said, not a car show, but there's lots of cars in it, and better than most car shows anyway.

If you click this link below and let YT autoplay you can see a bit of each episode in order.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nFSsFlIqp4s

Yeah, I watch it on 7Mate. It's Bloody good Show.. There's some amazing & eclectic Collections shown on It...
Well worth Watching..
hayseed is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-01-2021, 12:11 AM   #257
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mechan1k View Post
it certainly did spin the wheel in second ... was a tad hard to get off the line in the wet though.

I got to drive it a bit while she lived up at Bribie Island .... so came across many Commode drivers ... most expecting easy wins.

I was most surprised that the VR/VS SS commodores were slower than it from standstill. I think Mitsu got a gearing right in them to get them moving well.

Those poor G-Grid II's though as I mentioned.
Friends mother in law had a 3.5L V6 Magna wagon with 700,000km on it, we put it up against another mates Ecotec VY and the Commodore got hosed
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-01-2021, 03:15 PM   #258
Big_Daz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franco Cozzo View Post
Friends mother in law had a 3.5L V6 Magna wagon with 700,000km on it, we put it up against another mates Ecotec VY and the Commodore got hosed
I had a few magna's in my time, the last one being a Demo 2003 TL VR Limited Edition Manual (last shape before the 380, and the VR had the higher output engine like the VRX) and used to LOVE the butt hurt from NA Falcon and Commodore owners when I'd give them a good look at my tailights... Was a great car and they didnt make all that many of the VR Limited Editions (Had the Enkei rims and better suspension from the Ralliart Magna) so dont see them around at all really... My dad bought a TH Sports 3.5 Auto new in 2000 and it ended up with intake, pacemaker headers, full exhaust and a unichip and was a surprisingly quick thing.

Hers: 2020 (MY21) Kia Sorento GT-Line in Mineral Blue
Hers on Order: MY24 Ford Everest Platinum in Equinox Bronze
His Weekender: 2017 Commodore SSV Redline manual in Light My Fire Orange
His Daily: 2023 Hyundai Tuscon Elite N-Line in Crimson Red
Big_Daz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 23-01-2021, 01:07 AM   #259
EgoFG
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The P76 already got a mention, but there was also the Marina.

I think Leyland was the 'Almost Car company' of the early '70s.

I some good ways ahead of it time in concept, but so often behind in implimentation.

The alloy v8 (with not enough head bolts).
The P76, and almost the Marina, lead the field with side visible indicators, and front and rear side visible parking lights.
The (early 70s) P76 styling is very interesting when you put it beside the (mid-late 80s) TP magna
EgoFG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-01-2021, 08:16 AM   #260
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by EgoFG View Post
The P76 already got a mention, but there was also the Marina.
Saw a Marina yesterday and a Hillman Hunter on the same street, both on full rego.

roKWiz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-01-2021, 10:52 PM   #261
danzvtil
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Another one, it’s not very old, but Holden Captiva. In early 2010s they were cheap and plentiful when Holden was a default choice for many.
I knew of one owner who was quoted $13k to replace his Diesel engine. Now replaced with a sea of Hyundai/Kia/Toyota/Mazda SUVs.

2019 LDV G10
2009 Mitsubishi Express-GONE
2011 Honda Jazz
Old 24-01-2021, 10:06 AM   #262
Bill M
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Hyundai Coupe FX. Thankfully.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 26727809.jpg (120.8 KB, 21 views)
Old 24-01-2021, 10:53 AM   #263
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by danzvtil View Post
Another one, it’s not very old, but Holden Captiva. In early 2010s they were cheap and plentiful when Holden was a default choice for many.
I knew of one owner who was quoted $13k to replace his Diesel engine. Now replaced with a sea of Hyundai/Kia/Toyota/Mazda SUVs.
Dunno about that. They are everywhere. See many per day.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-01-2021, 11:24 PM   #264
Mulva
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Seems 3.5 Magna has displaced Aurion as the widely recognised Performance Benchmark.

In early 90s a mate had a Renault Fuego...he hated that we all pronounced it as "Fwaygo" in a really camp way. Saw one the other day for first time in maybe 10 years or more - guess they were never really common.
Mulva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-01-2021, 11:50 PM   #265
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Funny that, I have not seen a Magna or 380 for a long time.

I still remember this ad https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tpmBRxLivQA

20 years ago. Song was first released in 1998.

I'm not sure I will remember ads for cars these days in another 20 years. I've been re watching Stingers on 9Now and have been getting a bit of a nostalgia hit with the cars
MITCHAY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 26-01-2021, 10:25 AM   #266
Pis-ton broke
Banned

my dad used to have a marina and a torana sunbird, i remember that the tires had to be replaced just after we got it, because it had sat on the car sales lot for so long that it had got flat spots on the radials. my dad wasn't very good at picking good cars to own, today he's got a new endure, and its been i the shop at least twice for faults, and now they stopped making it understand.

our family also got around in a commer camper van , i don't think I've ever seen one in Australia. in those good old days disco's, smoking and fondue's were popular.
Pis-ton broke is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-01-2021, 12:04 PM   #267
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8 View Post
Vehicle on road data is interesting, particularly when you look at the car parc across states and even specific regions within those states.

Adelaide and Hobart have older vehicle fleets than Melbourne and Sydney and the model makeup is different.

Bendigo has a ****load of Commodore and Falcon on the road.

There's people who work at the big auto corporates whose only job is to analyse what cars are in what areas down to a suburb breakdown and stock their branches specifically with high volume parts to suit that area, it's nuts.

I haven't seen a Captiva around Melbourne for a while in the areas I hang about, where as you've noticed them on the regular in Geelong region.

Here's an interesting observation - Mum noticed that around Melbourne most people have black, grey or white cars, and that there aren't many bright coloured cars about in comparison to the shades.
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-01-2021, 03:13 PM   #268
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8 View Post
Yep agree, see these crap things everywhere here too.

roKWiz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 26-01-2021, 05:12 PM   #269
shedcoupe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Bought and towed a 1.5 tonne boat and trailer from Coffs Harbour to regional WA a few years ago.
The guy selling the boat was going to trade in his Magna wagon for $2500 (had about 230k km on it - never had the heads off, no water pump, starter or alternator etc. Can't remember about the timing belt / chain).
I bought the Magna to tow the boat home. Did 1000 km a day and the thing never used a drop of oil or water and felt like it would go forever. Plenty of power.
Got it roadworthied for peanuts and WA rego'd and sold it to a backpacker for $2200.
I reckon it's probably still going.
shedcoupe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 26-01-2021, 05:15 PM   #270
X-AHH
The good, bad and fugly
Donating Member2

AMC Pacer.

Anyone seen one on the roads recently?