Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 01-09-2019, 06:00 PM   #1
Sprint XR8

Default Motorsport legend Allan Moffat battles health, legal issues

Quote:
MELBOURNE, Victoria, Australia - Four-Time Bathurst 1000 winner Alan Moffat, known as 'Mr Ford' for much of his career, is battling health and legal issues in the final days of his life.

Moffat, 79, who took out Bathurst in 1970, 1971, 1973, and 1977 was a great rival of Peter Brock, who won the big race in 1972, 1975, 1978, 1979 and 1980.

According to an exclusive report in The Sunday Telegraph, Fiona Byrne writes that Moffat, who has also won the Sandown 500 six times, has been diagnosed with Alzheimer's Disease and has been admitted to a special care facility in Melbourne.

As with another Bathurst great Bob Jane, Moffat too is tied up with a legal battle with his family. His estranged partner Susan McCure, according to the 'Telegraph report, is engaged in legal proceedings with Andrew Moffat, the racing driver great's eldest son, over his father's will.

Byrne writes that another motor sport great Larry Perkins, another Bathurst 1000 winner Fred Gibson, and Moffat Senior's day-to-day minder Phil Grant are trying to sort the issues out - and to ensure Alan Moffat's intentions with his will are carried out. It seems there is no will in existence and the court will be left to distribute his assets.

Documents were filed by Perkins, Moffat's administrator, in August asking the court to ensure his (Moffat's) wishes and intentions, if he was of testamentary capacity, would be respected, and form the basis of his will.

While the legal tussle continues, Perkins says his mate is doing well despite his issues.

"He is going downhill but he loves the home where he is now. He is still getting out and about," Perkins told Byrne for The Sunday Telegraph report, published on Sunday 1 September 2019.

"Yes, he is in the toughest race of his life, but we've got the best medical team looking after him," he said. "We're doing everything we can. He is going downhill, but he doesn't have a care in the world."

Last month Alan Moffat was honoured by the creation of a Ford Mustang to mark the 50th anniversary of the car that catapulted him to greatness.

In September last year he became only the fourth motorsport identity to be inducted into the Sport Australia Hall of Fame alongside Brock and Formula One greats Alan Jones and Sir Jack Brabham.
https://www.bignewsnetwork.com/news/...h-legal-issues
Sprint XR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-09-2019, 06:08 PM   #2
K.P.

Default Re: Motorsport legend Allan Moffat battles health, legal issues

Sad news indeed. I am very glad Ford created a Mustang to honour him last month. All the best to him and his ongoing health. Who could forget the rivalry between Peter Brock and Alan Moffat? Again, all the best from a Holden descendant.

Last edited by K.P.; 01-09-2019 at 06:25 PM.
K.P. is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 01-09-2019, 06:46 PM   #3
XR Martin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Lesson is to have a will and a Power of Attorney.
2016 FGX XR8 Sprint, 6speed manual, Kinetic Blue #170

2004 BA wagon RTV project.

1998 EL XR8, Auto, Hot Chilli Red

1993 ED XR6, 5speed, Polynesian Green. 1 of 329. Retired

1968 XT Falcon 500 wagon, 3 on the tree, 3.6L. Patina project.
XR Martin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-09-2019, 08:35 PM   #4
XByoot
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Nothing like the smell of death and a will to bring the worst out in people. It’s a bloody disgrace how some people behave in these circumstances. It’s great to hear his old mates are standing by him....now that’s the true mark of a good person in my book
XByoot is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-09-2019, 09:32 PM   #5
nstg8a

Default Motorsport legend Allan Moffat battles health, legal issues

Quote:
Originally Posted by K.P. View Post
I am very glad Ford created a Mustang to honour him last month. .

Isnt that a tickford thing?
nstg8a is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 01-09-2019, 09:53 PM   #6
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: Your outstanding contributions to this community have not gone unnoticed. IN my view you are a worthy recipient of the (rarely used) Chairman's Award. 

It’s good for Mr Moffatt that he has proper friends, between them he’s unlikely to endure the ignominy of institutional “care”. I hope they can keep on until the last breath.
Citroënbender is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 01-09-2019, 10:07 PM   #7
jakkes
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

didn't see that coming.... he still seemed so active in the community

----------------------------------------------------------------
BA falcon XT mkII, 5.4lt, 5sp,
Y-code, xy windowless pano, 3 on the tree manual.
re-shelled xy falcon GT, manual.
1980 honda CX500 scrambler/dirt tracker
jakkes is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 01-09-2019, 10:43 PM   #8
Crosshair
DECOY

Gutt wrenching news.. I hope he receives the care a national treasure like him deserves.
Crosshair is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 02-09-2019, 03:39 AM   #9
K.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nstg8a View Post
Isnt that a tickford thing?
Yes. Someone put an image in here a small while ago. It's a beauty.
https://www.carsguide.com.au/car-new...urst-1-2-57113
Old 02-09-2019, 05:26 AM   #10
GTLEGEND
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Every advice post I visit where OP are seeking advice for their new vehicle, he is there and adds valuable support and advice for rectifying the problem. Really is a Legend. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: The quality of information he provides is in depth and highly valued by those posting questions. 

That's the old 2017 tribute, the latest is the tribute to his 1969 Mustang Transam,

I wonder how this is going to effect the extra $20K for the performance plus edition over the $32K performance addition as that extra $20K gets you the Wilwood brake package along with the Alan Moffat Experience.

I actually thought to myself he did not look too well in the images, but I had just put it down to older in age.

http://www.tickford.com.au/trans-am/
GTLEGEND is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-09-2019, 08:10 AM   #11
K.P.

It was 3am and I was fluey, I just put "Alan Moffat Mustang" in a search engine, the Telegraph probably has misreported any new Mustang in his honour. Unless a Ford Australia or Tickford source can prove otherwise. I too thought it was last year even had it in my tribute but edited it out to "last month" to fit the article.

Iain.

Last edited by K.P.; 02-09-2019 at 08:21 AM.
Old 02-09-2019, 08:25 AM   #12
K.P.

Had up a 02/08/19 dated hit but inside was a 2016 promo. Can't find anything on last month. Regardless, sad news indeed and may the legend live long.

Last edited by K.P.; 02-09-2019 at 08:34 AM.
Old 02-09-2019, 08:40 AM   #13
K.P.

I think this is it, production starts next month. Article dated Aug 23, 2019, same car as the Tickford link. Article claims Tickford will only create 100 of the two Tickford Trans-Am versions, the Performance Edition and Performance Plus on a first-come, first-served basis.

http://fordauthority.com/2019/08/the...s-a-60s-racer/

Last edited by K.P.; 02-09-2019 at 09:01 AM.
Old 02-09-2019, 08:01 PM   #14
mondeomatureguy

I was very sad to read about Allan Moffats health problems .

I was a young boy at the age of 13 years old when I saw his Mustang race at Oran Park in Sydney and I followed Allan Moffat till he retired at the age of 50 years old.

He has done so much for Motor Sport in Australia and for Ford also.
mondeomatureguy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
8 users like this post:
Old 03-09-2019, 07:43 AM   #15
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

The guy's not dead yet .... and they're already fighting over his will.

Disgraceful
Mechan1k is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-09-2019, 08:49 AM   #16
lra
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I get the impression that there is no will, and that is the problem.
I bought a motoring magazine a couple of months ago that briefly mentioned that AM had very little memory of his racings days. He knew his Mustang, but not what he achieved with it.
When your time is up, what is better, a blaze of glory and publicity like Brock, fade away un-noticed like Pete Geoghegan, or bitterly like Bob Jane.
Agree, sad that it has come this.
lra is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-09-2019, 09:08 AM   #17
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: Your outstanding contributions to this community have not gone unnoticed. IN my view you are a worthy recipient of the (rarely used) Chairman's Award. 

While he’s still alive, that lack of a written will is not the core problem. It’s “lack of testamentary capacity”, any instruction ascribed to him following a medical diagnosis and arguably in a period preceding it, is wide open...

Much as everyone needs a will, they need an advanced care directive written while they’re still compus mentis, and people who absolutely can/will uphold it.
Citroënbender is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 03-09-2019, 09:48 AM   #18
mondeomatureguy

That was the problem with the Late Peter Brock "The Will"'
He had a will but forgot to sign it and after he died it took to clear the mess up.
Old 03-09-2019, 09:55 AM   #19
mondeomatureguy

I have to agree with Mechan1k the mans still alive and already there fighting over his will.

They should be ashamed of them selves!

What ever happens Allan Moffat did a lot for motor racing in this country. In 1979 when one of his cars caught alight in the pits on TV "Cams will be happy when on of these cars burnt to the ground what we need is the dry brake system"

What happens a few years later "they get the dry brake system"!
Old 03-09-2019, 10:18 AM   #20
ford71V8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Sad to hear this news obviously, but I am more surprised.
I feel like he has continued to be involved in the sport and promos even until very recently and did not notice a decline other than watching someone get older with the rest of us.

And after only reading his book earlier this year I was reminded of his nature and his hard work to make a go of his passion so to hear he is no longer firing on all cylinders is a shock and upsetting.

Taking things and people for granted - they wont be here forever.
Allan is one of the great ones, initially supported by my father and then myself.
I hope things can be settled and sorted properly without any ugliness.
ford71V8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post:
Old 03-09-2019, 12:12 PM   #21
71cop
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by mondeomatureguy View Post
I have to agree with Mechan1k the mans still alive and already there fighting over his will.
What will ? a quote from the article above, It seems there is no will in existence and the court will be left to distribute his assets.
71cop is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-09-2019, 02:46 PM   #22
PepeLePew
Workshop & Performance

The article when read dispassionately would seem to sway the court of public opinion against his long term partner rightly or wrongly...just can't tell whats going on behind closed doors. Seems to be Ms McCure against all the 'good guys' (his first son, good old 'Larry' etc), but makes you wonder what the reality is and what his wishes would likely be....I hope the conclusion is fair and just with due respect to the man himself.

Alpine 7909 30th/Alpine 5959/Audison Bitone.1/DLS Ultimate A6+A7/ Focal KRX2/Morel Ultimo 12/AudioEngine B1
A stereo that happens to have a XR5 wrapped around it
PepeLePew is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-09-2019, 03:15 PM   #23
mondeomatureguy

I did say in 1979 his car caught fire in the pits at Bathurst.

I should have said in 1978 sorry!
Old 03-09-2019, 04:30 PM   #24
mondeomatureguy

Its very sad when people fight over a will and it happens all the time.
Frank Sinatra had written in his will "if any body fights over my will they don't get a cent"

Moffat had his up n downs like any racing car driver. In 1976 his International Harvester Transporter caught fire at Murray Bridge with his race car in side and all the spare parts also.

The fire was so intense it fused the wheels of the truck to the bitumen road surface. It was John Goss who came to the rescue leant Allan his falcon and Allan won both heats of that race in Adelaide.

In 1989 Allan turned 50 and decided to Retire. Two decades before that at Indianapolis he had seen a past hero lifted into his race car and then have his fire-mangled hands wrapped around the steering wheel where they'd stay until someone prised them loose.

Allan made a promise to himself that after seeing that in Indianapolis it wouldn't be him and he retired at 50 with out any press knowing or anybody making a fuss over him.

Last edited by mondeomatureguy; 03-09-2019 at 04:34 PM. Reason: had the same word twice
3 users like this post: