Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Closed Thread

Old 12-07-2011, 02:41 PM   #1
Zero_PSI
Banned

Default Looking at downgrading

So I'm considering downgrading from my XR6 to a AU XR8, I want a manual and a S2 or S3. I wanna do this because I wanna go to tafe and I wanna pay a chunk off my loan.

Any common problems I should be looking at? I'm only in the consideration stage at the moment as it'll be very hard to part with the ute.

Old 12-07-2011, 02:50 PM   #2
MGGT RAA
AUII XR8, BA XR8 290 UTE

Default Re: Looking at downgrading

You realise thatll actually be an upgrade!
Old 12-07-2011, 02:56 PM   #3
Zero_PSI
Banned

It wont actually. Bseries drives nicer and looks 100 times bettee. Au is next best thing on the side of comfort and drivability though... Just ugly but meh
Old 12-07-2011, 03:01 PM   #4
RG
Back to Le Frenchy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero_PSI
It wont actually. Bseries drives nicer and looks 100 times bettee. Au is next best thing on the side of comfort and drivability though... Just ugly but meh
Jumping into the AU section, asking for help and then proceeding to call them ugly may not be the best way to get the help you're after.
07 Renault Sport Megane F1 Team R26 #1397
Old 12-07-2011, 03:04 PM   #5
Zero_PSI
Banned

A dick post about it being an upgrade isnt really help. I like au's. Theyre not as appealing as the ba. But theyre a solid car. Thus considering the change.
Old 12-07-2011, 03:42 PM   #6
EATHSV
Oo---oO

caugh... mine is still for sale.... Caugh

Successful transactions with the following members:
Ride, Raised by Monkeys, TICK4D-TAS, Falcman007, 2002AU, JC.
Old 12-07-2011, 03:49 PM   #7
b2tf
not here much anymore

When you're finished annoying everybody start looking for an AU2 or 3, when you find one let us know.
Old 12-07-2011, 03:53 PM   #8
raised by monkeys
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
A dick post about it being an upgrade isnt really help. I like au's. Theyre not as appealing as the ba. But theyre a solid car. Thus considering the change.
Im not you typical BA fan either. Ive owned a custom EF 5spd xr6, driven my old mans el xr8 5spd, his BAII xr8 6spd ute... and i enjoy driving my AU xr8 ute more than the others. Hasnt got the balls the BA has but its feels much more solid and stiff. AU's really were made for the driver in mind. BA's might be pretty, but are far as xr6's go, you'll be much happier in an AU xr8.

Current
SY FPV F6X Territory #214
Previous
FG MkII G6E Turbo built by Heinrichs Performance and Tuning
BFII FPV TORNADO #0021 351rwkw - Heinrich Performance and Tuning

"Milk is for babies. When you grow up you have to drink beer" - Arnold Schwarzenegger

Last edited by raised by monkeys; 12-07-2011 at 04:11 PM.
Old 12-07-2011, 04:29 PM   #9
Zero_PSI
Banned

Ffs i dont care which ones better. I wanna know about common problems.
Old 12-07-2011, 04:41 PM   #10
SlipKnoT

well dont be aggresive about it anyways moving on... the AU is a pretty solid car and its the last of the windsor V8's so most of the issues were worked out making them a pretty reliable engine i dont know to much about the xr 8 so i wont crap on but maybe take a look in here http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11203667
and here http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=646
Old 12-07-2011, 04:50 PM   #12
FGII-XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

the AU2 / 3 is one of the most reliable falcons made just ask any cab owner. main thing to look for is the transmission cooler in the radiator leaking if you get an autoit lets coolant into the tranny killing it . if you are getting a sedan check the IRS joints and rubbers as well
I see people don't learn fighting in a thread like children is the fastest way to get a thread closed and you banned . play nice

"It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."

Start a new career as a bus driver

Rides:
FG2 XR6 stock at this stage but a very nice ride

xc 4 DOOR X CHASER 5.8 UNDER RESTO
Old 12-07-2011, 04:58 PM   #13
Professor Farnsworth
Fossil fuel consumer

Location: Mod For: Pub, Bar, Sales Yard, Show 'N Shine, Photoshop, AU to BF, FG to FGX, Territory & Sports Bar
Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Many years of valuable contributions to the forum, including some superb build threads. 

Quote:
i would consider an AU XR8 an upgrade over a BA XR6 any day of the week. Also pound for pound (even though the BA has about another 300 or so of them) the AU is a far more spritely, agile and more enjoyable car to throw around day to day. I've had a BF XR with ZF, BAII XR, BA Fairmont, BA XT, and my AU Ghia is beaten only by the ZF XR in agility, but still feels lighter around corners. So to summarise, i feel the AU is the better drive. The looks think is a personal opinion also, as once you adjust to the different styling the AU can be quite attractive, depending on the model and options.

This is coming from a devout B series fan.

Onto your question, try the links posted already. Door actuators fail, rear shock mounts fail in IRS models, brake warpage, steering racks, coilpacks and electrics can give issues with higher KM, window switches fail, window regulators, some models have paint issues, etc etc.

All in all they're a far more reliable car than any B series in my experience.
Old 12-07-2011, 05:02 PM   #14
Whoosha
AU DIE HARD
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For all the things you do behind the scenes. Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Keep it on track gang dont need a pi$$ing contest cause we know what we know

........Age and treachery will ALWAYS overcome youth and skill.......

CORTINA 250 2V POWER soon to be AUXR8 Windsor pwrd

.............WINDSOR WARLORD WHO CARRIES THE CLEVO MAFIA AND BROKEN BOSSES...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riksta
Quote of the weekend: "The quarter mile wasn't as long as I expected it to be".
Old 12-07-2011, 05:15 PM   #15
Zero_PSI
Banned

Did they have a live axle xr8 in s2 or 3?

And to me. The bseries is a nicer car. But thats not what i care about. I wanna get some cash back to pay my loan and a au xr seems like a good comprimise

So most of the problems exist in the irs and auto models?
Old 12-07-2011, 05:16 PM   #16
b2tf
not here much anymore

Quote:
IRS in sedans and cart spec in utes
Old 12-07-2011, 05:17 PM   #17
EATHSV
Oo---oO

irs in xr8

live axle.... pfft

Successful transactions with the following members:
Ride, Raised by Monkeys, TICK4D-TAS, Falcman007, 2002AU, JC.
Old 12-07-2011, 05:22 PM   #18
Sox
RIP...

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: As recommended by Ropcher. Personifies the spirit of AFF. 

This post sums it up very well, and I've been in a similar position having owned a BA and driven many BA's and BF's.

Many people aren't aware that the AU is such a fine car, and in many respects better than the next model.

A more refined drive doesn't always make a more enjoyable drive.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Professor Farnsworth
i would consider an AU XR8 an upgrade over a BA XR6 any day of the week. Also pound for pound (even though the BA has about another 300 or so of them) the AU is a far more spritely, agile and more enjoyable car to throw around day to day. I've had a BF XR with ZF, BAII XR, BA Fairmont, BA XT, and my AU Ghia is beaten only by the ZF XR in agility, but still feels lighter around corners. So to summarise, i feel the AU is the better drive. The looks think is a personal opinion also, as once you adjust to the different styling the AU can be quite attractive, depending on the model and options.

This is coming from a devout B series fan.

Onto your question, try the links posted already. Door actuators fail, rear shock mounts fail in IRS models, brake warpage, steering racks, coilpacks and electrics can give issues with higher KM, window switches fail, window regulators, some models have paint issues, etc etc.

Old 12-07-2011, 05:22 PM   #19
StealthAu
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Have you looked into this at all? How much cash do you think you would get selling a BA MKII XR6 ute and what do you think you'll pay for an AU XR8 series 2/3 ute?
Old 12-07-2011, 05:28 PM   #20
Racecraft
they call me Tibbo

Quote:

And to me. The bseries is a nicer car. But thats not what i care about. I wanna get some cash back to pay my loan and a au xr seems like a good comprimise

you have a BA n/a auto XR6 ute that is worth 12k on a very very good day (barring the klms) but you think you can move to the Windsor + 5 speed and make some cash......

Have alook around @ market value...

Old 12-07-2011, 05:29 PM   #21
Sox
RIP...

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: As recommended by Ropcher. Personifies the spirit of AFF. 

Quote:
All AU XR8 sedans have IRS.
Quote:
And to me. The bseries is a nicer car.
It's understandable that you think that way now, however it will be most interesting to ask you that question after a few months of owning an AU XR8.

I have a friend who thinks that every newer model is a forward step and he continues to go out and buy the new model. Each to their own, but I like to see and feel real improvement.
Quote:
Autos usually need replacing after 150,000k's, and are expensive.
Manuals are more reliable and much more fun, clutch is not so strong, but cheap and easy to replace.
IRS is pretty good. The upper shock mounts might need 'adjusting', and the diff mounts may need replacing. The diff centre is pretty strong.
Old 12-07-2011, 05:38 PM   #22
Professor Farnsworth
Fossil fuel consumer

Location: Mod For: Pub, Bar, Sales Yard, Show 'N Shine, Photoshop, AU to BF, FG to FGX, Territory & Sports Bar
Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Many years of valuable contributions to the forum, including some superb build threads. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sox
All AU XR8 sedans have IRS.

It's understandable that you think that way now, however it will be most interesting to ask you that question after a few months of owning an AU XR8.

I have a friend who thinks that every newer model is a forward step and he continues to go out and buy the new model. Each to their own, but I like to see and feel real improvement.

Manuals are more reliable and much more fun, clutch is not so strong, but cheap and easy to replace.
IRS is pretty good. The upper shock mounts might need 'adjusting', and the diff mounts may need replacing. The diff centre is pretty strong.
the shock mounts tend to separate completely, and need replacing, one of mine went recently and i did them both for ~$400 - mine was a cracker of a case. My transmission however is on 249,800KM and still going!

here are what my shock mounts sounded like:

http://s927.photobucket.com/albums/a...ent=mounts.mp4

Last edited by Professor Farnsworth; 12-07-2011 at 05:43 PM.
Old 12-07-2011, 05:41 PM   #23
Sox
RIP...

Quote:
the shock mounts separate completely, and need replacing, one of mine went recently and i did them both for ~$400 - mine was a cracker of a case. My transmission however is on 249,800KM and still going!
I haven't heard of the shock mounts coming apart. Usually they can be packed with washers or whatever to make them work again. That's all mine needed.
Old 12-07-2011, 05:45 PM   #24
Professor Farnsworth
Fossil fuel consumer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sox
I haven't heard of the shock mounts coming apart. Usually they can be packed with washers or whatever to make them work again. That's all mine needed.
have a look at the video i posted above, it's very dark but shows what i'm talking about. The replacement (genuine) shock mount requires packing with washers as its not designed properly and is different from the OE supplied on the car from the factory. That's a separate issue to the shock mount separating and failing, do a google on it and it'll return some results here.
Old 12-07-2011, 05:54 PM   #25
Zero_PSI
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racecraft
you have a BA n/a auto XR6 ute that is worth 12k on a very very good day (barring the klms) but you think you can move to the Windsor + 5 speed and make some cash......

Have alook around @ market value...
I have a manual xr6 mk2 ute. That is worth around 18k given
The condition ks and histort. Ive even been offered that. An i see au's on carsales for around 10
Old 12-07-2011, 06:07 PM   #26
Professor Farnsworth
Fossil fuel consumer

Quote:
I have a manual xr6 mk2 ute. That is worth around 18k given
The condition ks and histort. Ive even been offered that. An i see au's on carsales for around 10
if someone offered you that, take it and run. I've seen BF XR8's go for less
Old 12-07-2011, 06:16 PM   #27
Sox
RIP...

The video didn't tell me much except that you might have a rat in your boot.

Where did it seperate, I'm trying to work out what seperated from what?

I did Google, but it just showed the usual.
Quote:
have a look at the video i posted above, it's very dark but shows what i'm talking about. The replacement (genuine) shock mount requires packing with washers as its not designed properly and is different from the OE supplied on the car from the factory. That's a separate issue to the shock mount separating and failing, do a google on it and it'll return some results here.
Old 12-07-2011, 06:19 PM   #28
smoo
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

In all fairness most of those 'problems' listed above are typical of any car that is a decade old.

The manuals can crack on the firewall where the clutch cable goes thru.

I'm guessing the utes may have issues with rust under the try liners?? I'm too scared to pull mine off to check, a job for summer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sox
A bit of misinfo right there, maybe if she hasn't been serviced at all but the autos last longer than that generally speaking.

Last edited by smoo; 12-07-2011 at 06:26 PM.
Old 12-07-2011, 06:23 PM   #29
Professor Farnsworth
Fossil fuel consumer

i can't find any decent pics at the moment, but they are about here on the forums somewhere. Have a look at this thread for a rough idea in the mean time:

http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11244643

here's another thread on them:

http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11258344
Old 12-07-2011, 06:25 PM   #30
Sox
RIP...

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoo
A bit of misinfo right there, maybe if she hasn't been serviced at all but the autos last longer than that generally speaking.
I'm just repeating what the local tranny guy has told me.
He claims they will begin to show trouble fom 150 onwards, generally speaking.

I have no experience with the autos myself.
Closed Thread