Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 23-12-2011, 10:14 AM   #1
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Smile Unique Cars Win a Torana GTR XU-1

The Holden LJ Torana GTR XU-1 changed the face of Australian performance motoring, proving that you didn’t need a V8 to be a bona-fide muscle car.

It’s giant-killing performances ended the domination of Ford’s GT-HO Phase III and gave Peter Brock his first Bathurst win in 1972. With a pedigree like that, it’s little wonder the XU-1 has become an Aussie motoring icon – and a perfect Unique Cars giveaway car candidate.

When we picked up ‘our’ XU-1, we wondered whether it would need the usual attention we lavish on our giveaway cars – it already looked mint!

But that pretty purple paintwork hid a few surprises, which have since been rectified thanks to Corporate Auto Body and Rare Spares.

In the words of Uncle Phil, “it was good when we started, now it’s sensational.”

Chris from Corporate Auto Body adds, “it looks 100 percent better than when Holden made it!”

Total prize value is $85,000 including delivery and on-road costs. Enter as many times as you like using original Unique Cars coupons, enter online, or subscribe for more chances to win. Entries close on 10 July 2012!
http://www.uniquecarsmag.com.au/comp...mpetition.aspx

Last edited by csv8; 23-12-2011 at 10:16 AM. Reason: Add link
csv8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-12-2011, 10:22 AM   #2
svo347
AFF's 1st DM.......

Location: Wha???... There is only 2 states 2 be in.. WA or Drunk..
Default Re: Unique Cars Win a Torana GTR XU-1

Wow.... Id love to win one.... Just to sell it n buy a new GT!!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by zetec
I know what lengths they go to to ensure it's more than just a Ford sticker on the part. Ford doesn't throw it's name on anything for a quick buck.
06 Turbo Terri AWD 6 sp in Neo with stuff i didnt even need, side steps,15.2 inch roof mounted DVD,Pioneer $tezza,Selby 30/18mm swaybars,debunged,100 cpsi Ballistic cat,Plazmaman under battery Cai injectors 14/lb boost,ZF tuned,Xtreme's magic. :
svo347 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-12-2011, 02:10 PM   #3
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by svo347
i like your thinking
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-12-2011, 03:16 PM   #4
Falcman0o7
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by svo347

Me 2! i'd rather a good XW XY GT replica with the tough stance and V8 growl, It's what a muscle car is! Not a little 3.3 2 door with a bum like a pinto.
Falcman0o7 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-12-2011, 03:40 PM   #5
2011G6E
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

"Not a little 3.3 two door"...that can easily wipe the floor with most V8's...
I wonder how many people have actually been in a little Torana coupe with a worked 202, much less a proper XU1? It's a shocking experience...the damn things are a real weapon and are so small they "feel" a lot quicker than they already are.

The "V8 GT/Monaro prize" has been done to death...time for some other cars to get some recognition like the GTR-XU1 and E49 Chargers...
2011G6E is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-12-2011, 05:22 PM   #6
raptorv8
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011G6E
"Not a little 3.3 two door"...that can easily wipe the floor with most V8's...
I wonder how many people have actually been in a little Torana coupe with a worked 202, much less a proper XU1? It's a shocking experience...the damn things are a real weapon and are so small they "feel" a lot quicker than they already are.

The "V8 GT/Monaro prize" has been done to death...time for some other cars to get some recognition like the GTR-XU1 and E49 Chargers...
Yeah in the dry it was only 7 seconds slower around Bathurst than the gt, really showed those v8s

I like the car, but the reality is it couldn't come close to a HO on most roads or tracks unless it rained or the gt ran out of tyres.
raptorv8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-12-2011, 05:27 PM   #7
gtxb67
moderator ford coupe club

Quote:
Originally Posted by raptorv8
Yeah in the dry it was only 7 seconds slower around Bathurst than the gt, really showed those v8s

I like the car, but the reality is it couldn't come close to a HO on most roads or tracks unless it rained or the gt ran out of tyres.
not sure if it was 7 seconds (at racing pace anyway), but a standard xu-1 never beat a standard ho at bathurst in the 500 - but as you suggested a slightly modified one only beat it because of rain - it still won, but it needed outside circumstances to do it
gtxb67 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-12-2011, 05:32 PM   #8
Stefan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

PFFT any late model hot hatch would be all over this thing like white on rice...

Would be nice to win and flog the absolute ar$e off it in front of some holden fans.
Stefan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-12-2011, 03:47 PM   #9
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

id love to own it.. lols to the hater brigade around here.. was a great time and great cars from all makes..
your big tough GTs wouldnt have been the cars they were without the XU 1s.....
pottery beige is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-12-2011, 02:52 PM   #10
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Well I think an XU-1 would be a brilliant toy. I would loan it to a museum such as Bowdens or whomever so everyone can enjoy it and it would be looked after in the manner it deserves.
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-12-2011, 04:33 PM   #11
Falcman0o7
Banned

It doesn't matter what it did or how quick it is beacuse at the end of the day it's still a LITTLE 3.3 2 DOOR WITH A BUM LIKE A PINTO.
Old 23-12-2011, 04:39 PM   #12
Rodp
Regular Schmuck

LJ, best Trana of the lot. Was close to buying one with a 308 shoehorned in it about 20 years ago, the only thing that stopped me was it was PINK!
Rodp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-12-2011, 04:41 PM   #13
Uncle Niceguy
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

this car is a true aussie icon just like the HO and any real car enthusiast will show this car the respect it deserves no matter what badge it carries. regardless i'd love it in my garage!!!
Uncle Niceguy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-12-2011, 04:47 PM   #14
Geez Louise
Awesome

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: All the behind the scenes things that help the community. 

There is no need for anyone else to enter....I have submitted my entry and will win it
Old 23-12-2011, 04:47 PM   #15
davids_gxl

Its related to daewoo isnt it.The company that daewoo bought a fare few years ogo.
davids_gxl is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-12-2011, 04:50 PM   #16
Falcman0o7
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by davids_gxl
Its related to daewoo isnt it.The company that daewoo bought a fare few years ogo.
Trolling withdrawn....
Old 23-12-2011, 04:51 PM   #17
Iggypoppin'
Chasing a FORD project!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcman0o7
Trolling withdrawn....
Haters gon' hate.
Game. Reinvented.

1996 BMW 740iL V8. TV, phone, leather, sunroof, satnav, all as standard. Now with 19" TSW Brooklands, 2 1/2" stainless steel exhaust, plus more coming soon.
Iggypoppin' is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-12-2011, 04:50 PM   #18
gtxb67

to each their own, but i don't want it
however i show respect to everything, no matter how hideous it is, more so with cars. i certainly won't enter - it should go to someone who does want it, not someone who will on sell it
hopefully the winner loves xu-1's and will cherish it

i do like flappist's idea, but it would be nice for it to get driven as well
Old 23-12-2011, 05:19 PM   #19
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtxb67
to each their own, but i don't want it
however i show respect to everything, no matter how hideous it is, more so with cars. i certainly won't enter - it should go to someone who does want it, not someone who will on sell it
hopefully the winner loves xu-1's and will cherish it

i do like flappist's idea, but it would be nice for it to get driven as well
I said loan......it would still have the odd day off

Although I am a bit tall to drive a LJ, they are a bit "bendy".
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-12-2011, 05:05 PM   #20
350125GO
67 Galaxie Hardtop

mmm torana, entered!
350125GO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-12-2011, 07:41 PM   #21
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

The old man always talks about his first car, XU-1 GTR or what ever they where called, cost him $2200 in 1978 second hand.

What where their 0-100 and 1/4 mile times back in the day factory stock?

Correction:

He had an LC GTR XU-1.
Franco Cozzo is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-12-2011, 11:08 PM   #22
gcg2503
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always adding valued comments,  never involved in any disputes. A credit to this forum. 

Love them all - GT, XU-1, GTS, E49

Was a great era with some crazy funky colours

I am glad that Unqiue Cars are giving away a desirable car this time...not like that silly GMC truck they gave away last time
gcg2503 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-12-2011, 11:52 PM   #23
SpoolMan
Solution Was Boost 4?, 6 & 8

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF events and sponsorship. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Everything you do to help this place run smoothly! Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: The awesome Technical and Service how to's in the FPV /XR6 /G6ET turbo threads..  and his own build threads that inspire people to have a go... enabling people to save money and realise the dream of working on their own cars as well. 

Its a real Aussie classic, I would have it...very tough car in its day, there only week point were those dam banjo diffs..

AUTOTECH TUNED EDELEBROCK CHARGED
2017 GT Mustang Plenty of RWKW
SpoolMan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-12-2011, 12:29 AM   #24
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Ugly car and an ugly colour but all that aside it's still a piece of Australian automotive history and if you were a collector you'd want in your ranks.
MITCHAY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-12-2011, 12:41 AM   #25
buickman
buickman

Quote:
Originally Posted by MITCHAY
Ugly car and an ugly colour but all that aside it's still a piece of Australian automotive history and if you were a collector you'd want in your ranks.
They not really ugly but a shocker to drive in every day traffic with the lumpy motors and rusting out in most places. Several friends had them 2 mocks and a original and all were not that pleasant to drive or be a passanger in. A XR5 Focus or Mazda MPS would flog them in driving experience but don't have a Aussie racing or cult history.
buickman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-12-2011, 10:04 PM   #26
GREGL
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by buickman
They not really ugly but a shocker to drive in every day traffic with the lumpy motors and rusting out in most places. Several friends had them 2 mocks and a original and all were not that pleasant to drive or be a passanger in. A XR5 Focus or Mazda MPS would flog them in driving experience but don't have a Aussie racing or cult history.
And never will!
GREGL is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-12-2011, 10:44 PM   #27
GREGL
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

For me owning that XU-1 wouldn't be a problem at all. In there day they were very qiuck and nimble too. The GT's had the outright speed but the toranas made up time over the top and down through forest elbow. Just like today it was about tactics. Regardless of which brand you supported you have to admire the drivers of that era. 6 or 7 inches of rubber a ****y rollcage (by todays standards) and factory brakes, all at 10/10ths. on tracks that had little or no margin for error. Those blokes had balls, and there is no way these cars should be compared to the modern day.
Another reason i'd love to own it I could do 90% of the servicicing myself the other 10% having the triples tuned every couple of months LOL
GREGL is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-12-2011, 12:20 PM   #28
gtxb67

if you read my first post i said i would not enter so some one who does appreciate it can - unfortunately it will probably go to someone to on sell it

and yes i do not appreciate it because i want an engineered car, not a fabricated one. a 351 in a shopping trolley would be both fast and fun - doesn't mean it is good though

if i want push out rear windows with zero refinement, i will get a 63 consul cortina, not a 70's model torana. me, I like the whole package, hence i drive a ford
Old 24-12-2011, 12:27 PM   #29
SpoolMan
Solution Was Boost 4?, 6 & 8

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF events and sponsorship. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Everything you do to help this place run smoothly! Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: The awesome Technical and Service how to's in the FPV /XR6 /G6ET turbo threads..  and his own build threads that inspire people to have a go... enabling people to save money and realise the dream of working on their own cars as well. 

The thread isn't a debate about old school cars..

AUTOTECH TUNED EDELEBROCK CHARGED
2017 GT Mustang Plenty of RWKW
SpoolMan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-12-2011, 04:55 PM   #30
MethodX
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Some people here are strange.
Hate Skylines and those grey imports insitead of pieces of Australiana we grew up with.
MethodX is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post