Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 23-07-2018, 10:20 PM   #31
98TLS
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Default Re: Would it be worth trading my FPV GT in on a new Mustang?

Define "would it be worth" vastly different cars,if its purely down to $ then one way or other the answer is "NO" as dealerships survive purely on the $,some have suggested your GT will be worth more than the Mustang in the long run no idea of your age but will bet your GT Falcon will indeed be worth one day plenty of cash but like mine that day will be long after you have departed this earth,that said my vote is keep the GT if for no other reason than to distinguish yourself from every other road user driving a Mustang,dime a dozen Will add the joy i get from driving a GT Falcon is the fact i grew up with em,Mustangs can remember the PDL other than that......
Old 23-07-2018, 10:22 PM   #32
Fordman1
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_nofx View Post
Personally, I’d take the car you want more right now. Not the one which will be worth more in 20 years.
I agree.

These comments about “it’ll be worth more” are rubbish.

But like I said earlier, your GT looks awesome
Fordman1 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 23-07-2018, 10:26 PM   #33
eaglem
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_nofx View Post
Personally, I’d take the car you want more right now. Not the one which will be worth more in 20 years.

I do love driving the FPV GT so I need to test drive the MUSTANG to see how I like it

eaglem is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-07-2018, 10:29 PM   #34
eaglem
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fordman1 View Post
I agree.

These comments about “it’ll be worth more” are rubbish.

But like I said earlier, your GT looks awesome

I think as time goes on the FPV GT will be more of a standout on the road as Mustangs become more common and it is hard to beat the feeling you get when driving the FPV GT

Old 23-07-2018, 10:42 PM   #35
Crazy Dazz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Trying to think of a way to say this without being rude,
but nothing about your O/P makes sense.

Yes, you are talking about two different cars. Both performance Fords, but otherwise very different. You're never going to compare apples.

But I will try to answer the points raised.
a) Who gives a toss?
b) Who gives a toss, unless you're planning to be t-boned?
c) Yes, the Mustang isn't supercharged. It is a different car.
d) Oh FFS. Yes, you will get low-balled if you trade in.
e) Yes, the 2019 model will be better, and the 2022 will be better still.

Nobody can tell you which car to love more. That's an inherently personal choice.

Also, whilst most GT owners will eventually part with their cars, when that time is right for you is likewise dependent on your unique personal circumstances.

But maybe consider some of the following:
Do you often take your kids or mates out for a cruise?
Do you relish the awesome torque and power of the s/c v8?
There will, for the foreseeable future, always be Mustangs. There will never be another GT.

That said, if you are planning to sell your GT in the near future, I would suggest doing it soon, as there is still healthy interest and respect.
Crazy Dazz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 23-07-2018, 10:57 PM   #36
eaglem
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy Dazz View Post
Trying to think of a way to say this without being rude,
but nothing about your O/P makes sense.

Yes, you are talking about two different cars. Both performance Fords, but otherwise very different. You're never going to compare apples.

But I will try to answer the points raised.
a) Who gives a toss?
b) Who gives a toss, unless you're planning to be t-boned?
c) Yes, the Mustang isn't supercharged. It is a different car.
d) Oh FFS. Yes, you will get low-balled if you trade in.
e) Yes, the 2019 model will be better, and the 2022 will be better still.

Nobody can tell you which car to love more. That's an inherently personal choice.

Also, whilst most GT owners will eventually part with their cars, when that time is right for you is likewise dependent on your unique personal circumstances.

But maybe consider some of the following:
Do you often take your kids or mates out for a cruise?
Do you relish the awesome torque and power of the s/c v8?
There will, for the foreseeable future, always be Mustangs. There will never be another GT.

That said, if you are planning to sell your GT in the near future, I would suggest doing it soon, as there is still healthy interest and respect.

To answer your questions:
A) I do prefer the safety of a spare tyre after having problems on a recent trip to Exmouth.
B) I never planned to get T Boned but with Perth drivers this can happen.
C) Apparently you can get them Supercharged if you push the line.
D) I realise this so would sell privately.
E) I also know this and it applies to anything one buys.

In considering the following:
I mainly drive for myself and not for others.
Do I like the power and torque of the S/C Coyote V8... Bloody oath
Yes no more FPV GT's is true which makes me think I'll stay with mine.

Old 23-07-2018, 11:56 PM   #37
Big_Damo

Keep the GT.
My wife wanted a Mustang when I bought the XR8 Sprint. For me I feel there will always be the opportunity to get a better faster Mustang over time but the best and last of Aussie made S/C Fords like the Sprints and GT's are it.
Don't let this be the car you tell everybody in your future that you regret selling.
I am sure we already have a few of those in our past
Big_Damo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 24-07-2018, 12:53 AM   #38
Mr Brooksy
Youth worker

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Numerous helpful how-to's and sound advice! 

I'm my opinion there's one question that we rarely answer properly... That is why...

Why do you want a Mustang? Write down your pros and cons...
Then, why keep the FPV GT? Pros and cons.

Often people are surprised at what they really want vs what is popular or considered the right choice.

And worst case scenario, if you can't really make up your mind, get a second hand Mustang. Who says you can only have one?

Personally, my FPV F6 Typhoon will not be sold regardless of value now or in the future barring unforeseen troubles, but a Turbo 4 Mustang daily wouldn't be a bad thing either.

But again, it's you're decision. And you've got to fork out your cash for whatever you choose to do.

2011 SZ Territory

Old Futura thread:
Brooksy's Ex Build
Mr Brooksy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post:
Old 24-07-2018, 09:42 AM   #39
eaglem
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Brooksy View Post
I'm my opinion there's one question that we rarely answer properly... That is why...

Why do you want a Mustang? Write down your pros and cons...
Then, why keep the FPV GT? Pros and cons.

Often people are surprised at what they really want vs what is popular or considered the right choice.

And worst case scenario, if you can't really make up your mind, get a second hand Mustang. Who says you can only have one?

Personally, my FPV F6 Typhoon will not be sold regardless of value now or in the future barring unforeseen troubles, but a Turbo 4 Mustang daily wouldn't be a bad thing either.

But again, it's you're decision. And you've got to fork out your cash for whatever you choose to do.

Thank you for that sage advice, I don't know what thoughts were plaguing me to consider selling my FPV GT to buy a Mustang GT but I think I'm over them now!

Old 24-07-2018, 10:00 AM   #40
mike_nofx
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiji View Post
The new mustang is quick but with that 10 speed auto must be all revs. So what about 90% of driving at low revs? Cant possibly match the supercharged v8 in your GT

If the 10 speed revs the mustang 5.0 silly when cruising around imagine the fuel usage?
Can’t possibly match it in what way?

You do realise that more gears usually improves fuel economy right? I’d be willing to bet that the mustang is better on fuel in basically all driving conditions.

How does more gears mean more Revs? More gears means the engine can be at its rev range sweet spot more often.
mike_nofx is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post:
Old 24-07-2018, 10:17 AM   #41
whitelion65
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

EagleM,
I don't know the conditions leading to your TPI status, but consider the ease of getting in and out of the Mustang.
It's lower, is two door, so often, you won't be able to open the doors fully...etc

You'll work this out on a test drive. But on the subject of test drives, do an extended one, even overnight. This will give you more of an idea of pros/cons.

FPV GT or Mustang....what a dilemma!!

Enjoy either way.

Steve
Moondust silver
2016 Focus Trend, 1.5ecoboost, 6sp manual.
Frozen white

Previous
2004 Berlina Wagon (LS1) Vespers Blue
1995 Camry 2.2, white
1971 Ford Fairmont wagon 302w, C4 Polar white
1971 TC Cortina, 2L 4sp, Ermine white
whitelion65 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-07-2018, 10:28 AM   #42
DK30RB

You need to do whats right for you.

I would struggle to pick one if i had to get rid of one to buy the other.

My views for what its worth....

I have an FGX XR8 which is very similar to your GT, and i've just purchased a 2018 update Mustang GT.

I think you really need to test drive the Mustang. Consider the 10 Speed, its sensational.

It might make the decision easier. You will either love it or not.

I drove my XR8 on the weekend (1st time in a month and 1st time since i got the Mustang 2 weeks ago) It really changed my opinion of the XR8. Its a great car, but compared to the mustang it feels old.

On paper the mustang is quicker but its hard to pick when comparing back to back. The 10 speed, i feel is better than the ZF 6 speed.

The sound of the mustang exhaust is streets ahead of the stock XR8 exhaust. Having the ability to change it is great too. Loud when you want it to be and quiet when you dont.

The technology/sync3/digital dash/ etc are all better in the mustang. Seats and seating position is better too. Feel like i'm sitting in a 4wd after getting out of the Mustang into XR8.

I purchased the spare tyre for my Mustang. All up $715 with jack and all other required parts.

Engine doesn't rev like crazy. Gearbox keeps the revs very low. Now after 2000km my updated freeway fuel average is 7.9l/100 and around town its 10.1l/100. Something the XR8 can not even come close to. Doing the same trips in the XR8 saw 9 on freeway and 14 around town.

Mustang tank is only 50 litres?? So more trips to the petrol station are required.

In terms of Mustang -v- GT being everywhere.. In my experience - We all love Falcon so will notice it, however most of the public will look at your GT as an old ford thats no longer being made. While it is a piece of Australian motoring history, TODAY, 99% of the public don't care.

I've never received many comments on my XR8 - even when new. I got it when FGX first came out and they were not common on the road. Mustang on the other hand draws plenty of comments, thumbs up, people coming over to ask about it. Its gets a lot of attention. Something i never saw in any Falcon i've owned.

For you, its a tough choice to make either way.

Go take one for a test drive then re think what you want to do.
DK30RB is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
9 users like this post:
Old 24-07-2018, 10:33 AM   #43
eaglem
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitelion65 View Post
EagleM,
I don't know the conditions leading to your TPI status, but consider the ease of getting in and out of the Mustang.
It's lower, is two door, so often, you won't be able to open the doors fully...etc

You'll work this out on a test drive. But on the subject of test drives, do an extended one, even overnight. This will give you more of an idea of pros/cons.

FPV GT or Mustang....what a dilemma!!

Enjoy either way.

Steve

Yes and as I have a two car garage that homes 2 cars I wouldn't have that extra room to open the door fully so that would become a problem and being lower wouldn't help me either. I got my TPI as a Vietnam Veteran for a variety of problems, Agent Orange and what it's done to my skin just being one of them. After all the considerations I think I've overcome the desire now.

2 users like this post:
Old 24-07-2018, 12:12 PM   #44
mitch

Hey Eaglem

Bit off topic here. Thanks for your service to Australia mate.

Sounds like you have a few health issues to contend with, but your coping with a great aussie attitude, Thanks again

Whatever your decision, they are both desirable vehicles in my eyes.

Lot of choice in performance Fords at the moment
mitch is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-07-2018, 01:33 PM   #45
40RDT
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I would go for the Mustang and put a blower on it...

A blown 10spd auto Mustang would be a pretty amazing ride imo
Old 24-07-2018, 02:46 PM   #46
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
How can it match the fpv GT for low end torque. Put them both on a dyno and the mustang will look limp wristed ( low rpm)

The only way it will match the Fpv GT cruising about is with more revs. Has to be. Sure the 10 speed will provide that but it will keep revs up. The 10 speed will behave like a stall converter masking the bottom end deficiency.

The new mustang engine has a few kw more than old model. But all of a sudden runs a low 12? The auto gearbox keeps the revs up . How does the manual version go?

My question is how does it drive when revs are down (90% of driving)... i bet not like the fpv GT
The 10 speed doesn't keep revs up, it does the opposite really. And it stacks all the ratios closer together.

The rpm drop off between gears is bugger all. Keeps the engine right in the sweet spot under all conditions.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 24-07-2018, 03:25 PM   #47
eaglem
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

You wouldn't believe it! I went to the Shopping Centre to get my scripts filled at the Chemist and when I came out guess what was parked behind me, a 2018 Dark Blue Mustang GT while I'm trying to wean myself off the idea. Somebody up there hates me!

I spoke to the guy who owns it and he said that is his number 2 Mustang, he bought (in the USA) the Shelby Cobra tuned Mustang which he keeps garaged and doesn't drive. He uses the one I saw as his every day vehicle. He bought an extra full rim and tyre as a spare sits a little higher in the boot but leaves room for other stuff like shopping etc. When he took off I noticed how nice it sounded.

4 users like this post:
Old 24-07-2018, 03:45 PM   #48
mike_nofx
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
How can it match the fpv GT for low end torque. Put them both on a dyno and the mustang will look limp wristed ( low rpm)

The only way it will match the Fpv GT cruising about is with more revs. Has to be. Sure the 10 speed will provide that but it will keep revs up. The 10 speed will behave like a stall converter masking the bottom end deficiency.

The new mustang engine has a few kw more than old model. But all of a sudden runs a low 12? The auto gearbox keeps the revs up . How does the manual version go?

My question is how does it drive when revs are down (90% of driving)... i bet not like the fpv GT
Whenever struggling to mentally compare the difference between 2 mechanical objects, it often helps to exaggerate the difference between the two objects to better understand how they’d behave.

So exaggerate the difference between the two cars for the amount of gears they have. Instead of one having 6 speeds and the other 10 speeds, consider one has 2 speeds and the other has 20 speeds.

Now since you’re talking “90% of deiving”, imagine the 2 speed takes off beside the 20 speed from a set of lights at casual but reasonable pace.

Which vehicle needs to hit higher RPM before changing each gear?
Which vehicle can keep its RPM closest to its maximum torque range in each gear most often?

If that doesn’t help, then think of which vehicles on the road rely most on torque and keeping the engine at maximum torque. Trucks. Do they have a lot of gears, or only a few gears?
mike_nofx is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-07-2018, 04:03 PM   #49
Hemihunter
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

4 doors and a super charger does it for me !
Hemihunter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 24-07-2018, 04:47 PM   #50
kypez
Donating Member
Donating Member2

I test drove the Mustang...

First, the soundtrack... Is positively delicious! The V8 sounds amazing! How I wish a Sprint or FPV sounded like that!

Fit and finish is light years ahead of the Falcon. The dash is fantastic as well. Recaro seats are great but even the standard ones are good (carried over from the 17). The interior materials are great soft touch plastics as well. Much better than the 2015 and better than our Sprint.

To the drive, it's much more supple when compared to the Sprint 6/GTF. I drove the manual and the clutch friction point was a little higher than I'd have liked but so be it. Seating position is good as well. The different modes were real (not a gimmick) and you can really hear the change in exhaust note in the different modes. Unfortunately, you can't go to Race mode to enjoy the soundtrack and keep your stability control on. Bit sad about that but it's plenty loud in Sports... (but you know it can be better)

Now to what I didn't enjoy. The steering was unnecessarily heavy. The suspension, while supple, wasn't that great (sporty) but good nonetheless.

Biggest issues was the acceleration. I've got too addicted to forced induction! The in gear acceleration left me wanting... It was a bit sad. The note was great but the acceleration in gear was dull.

Finally, whilst the back seats were not really useful, the annoying thing was that they don't automatically slide forward. It's a painful process of manually pushing the button electric button forward.

It just didn't tick enough boxes to warrant the swap of the Sprint.
kypez is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 24-07-2018, 04:58 PM   #51
Mercury Bullet
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Join brett and do the steve mcqueen thing.

Give the sprint to the missus.

2016 Falcon XR8. Powered by the legend that is - David Winter.
XC Cobra #181.
1985 Mack Superliner, CAT 3408, 24 speed Allison.
Mercury Bullet is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-07-2018, 05:04 PM   #52
kypez
Donating Member
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury Bullet View Post
Join brett and do the steve mcqueen thing.

Give the sprint to the missus.
Sold out!

Wife gave me the Sprint back after we got the Tesla...
2 users like this post:
Old 24-07-2018, 05:34 PM   #53
Syndrome
Ford screwed the Falcon

Quote:
Originally Posted by eaglem View Post
I was thinking about trading my FG 2011 FPV GT in on a new 2018 Mustang GT 5.0 Ltr but have the following reservations, a) no spare wheel/tyre is supplied on the Mustang, b) only a 3 star safety rating whereas mine has 5 stars, c) no options yet for a Supercharged V8 motor. And even though my vehicle is in showroom condition I can imagine getting offered a lowball trade-in figure. Should I wait for the 2019 models before deciding or just keep what I have?

No way!

My cars

Current ride
2016 FG X XR6 - 6 speed manual

Previous rides
2009 FG XR6 - 6 speed auto
2006 BF MkII XT ESP - 6 speed auto
2003 BA XT V8 - 5 speed manual
1999 AU Forte - 5 speed manual
1997 EL Fairmont - 4 speed auto
1990 EAII Fairmont Ghia - 4 speed auto
Syndrome is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 24-07-2018, 05:44 PM   #54
FTE217
T3/Sprint8
Donating Member2

To the OP,
I couldn't shift what you have unless you HAD to.
Someone mentioned about age, I don't think that matters for you have history, vested interest on the GT.
A new car will always out date the previous one but thats not the point it what that car does to your heart and soul.
I just had a week road trip with my 16yr old T3, you know what, just as your GT lacking this or that latest mod con but worse considering the years sitting behind the steering wheel in your 4door V8 Falcon you miss nothing what the latest pony delivers.
Driving the T3 around I felt bloody awesum, the sound, the brand, its my piece of Aussie that pony can never replace.
I have a Sprint as well and that Miami SC is King imo - a pony may join them one day - one day but I'm not there yet.
Good luck with your decision.
"Don't believe everything you read on the internet. Abraham Lincoln"
FTE217 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post:
Old 24-07-2018, 05:47 PM   #55
kypez
Donating Member
Donating Member2

Quote:
Low down torque. The auto 10 speed would mask this issue with revs.

Keep the GT

Mustang is the show pony
Could never buy an Auto Mustang... The only reason I have an Auto Sprint is cause the wife used to drive it. Now I'm looking at dropping a Manual into it.
2 users like this post:
Old 24-07-2018, 05:54 PM   #56
eaglem
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Thought I'd drop in a couple of Pics so you could see what I was thinking of trading.

Old 24-07-2018, 05:55 PM   #57
eaglem
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Old 24-07-2018, 05:55 PM   #58
eaglem
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Old 24-07-2018, 05:56 PM   #59
eaglem
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Old 24-07-2018, 06:44 PM   #60
stevanford
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

IMO, having owned an FG and now an FGX, trade it if you don't need the back seats and the boot.
stevanford is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post