Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 31-08-2011, 11:19 PM   #1
bartsau
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default DTE Questions + Odometer Question

Ok so I have a question with regards to the odometer on my wagon. Now since I have fitted 3.9 diff gears in my wagon I have noticed that despite revving at approx 2700rpm at 110km/hr and at 100km/hr sits on about 2400rpm, that it is actually returning very good fuel economy.

Around town and coping a lot of use from the loud pedal it returns between 12-15l/100km which the way it is driven is rather good.

I did though just go up to Kyabram for a night to see my sister and from Frankston to there and back + a trip to Echuca it returned a total average of 10.2l/100km and this was predominately sitting on 2700rpm.

So good was the economy that the DTE read 956km!!! As if! Which brings my question about.

As the speedo is clearly reading well out and therefore is upsetting the DTE does this also mean that my Odometer is increasing at an unrealistic rate??

Sorry for the rambling.

AU I Forte Sedan - No longer
Toy Car Build
bartsau is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-09-2011, 09:15 AM   #2
Jimmyd
Banned

Default Re: DTE Questions + Odometer Question

Yes .
Jimmyd is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-09-2011, 09:51 AM   #3
Bushbasher
When in doubt, GAS IT!!

theoretically your litres per 100 will be out too because it also relies on how many kms it thinks you've traveled to calculate usage. You need to get the speedo re-calibrated. Your Ford stealer can reset your speedo to suit the gearing.

Bushbasher

HERS- BFIII Wagon Gold, alloys, dual fuel, bullbar, big tow pack, trans cooler, fully rebuilt HD suspension, Clarion, alarmed, full 2 1/2" sports system, mint body

MINE- AUII Forte
Meteorite, dual fuel but otherwise bog stock.

MINE- AUII Fairlane Sportsman Liquid Silver over meteorite,HIDs', Airhog, Eagle Leads, dual fuel, custom rear springs, BA slotted discs + a second one for spares

Bushbasher is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-09-2011, 11:28 AM   #4
Mr Hardware
Flairs - Truckers Delight

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: The excellent how to on LPG jet cleaning. 

Yes, everything is mong.
How did you calculate your L/100klms? By GPS/Maps/Accurate odo or by your now completely fictional odo?
Old 01-09-2011, 02:31 PM   #5
T3man
Banned

Ford cannot reset the panel for anything lower than 3.45 diff gears. I have 3.7s in mine and have used a Jayco speedo box - was OK for a while then it died and I haven't bohered to replace it. I'm now just used to it showing 25% over speed and distance all the time.
T3man is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-09-2011, 07:57 PM   #6
bartsau
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Ok so the ford dealer would be able to reset it too the max of 3.45 and since I have 3.9's I won't bother. I did actually buy a gear for the gearbox in order to rectify this problem however, I ordered the wrong one and the spline is reversed to what I needed.

I have done some more calcs.

Based on the Odometer in the car:
Distance = 664km
Fuel = 67.9L
Ave = 10.23L/100km

Based on maps:
Distance = 580km
Fuel = 67.9L
Ave = 11.7L/100km

So I racked up an extra 84 kms. Which means according to odometer vs maps my speedo is reading 14.5% over what it should be reading.

Just found it fascinating how far out it was. Having said this I shouldn't get done for speeding if I stick to my speedo as it is way way under

AU I Forte Sedan - No longer
Toy Car Build
bartsau is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post