Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 01-09-2011, 08:42 PM   #1
LukeyST
ST fan

Default QUICK QUESTION, lower ball joints in AU, DIY?

G'day,

Quick one, has anyone here done the lower ball joints in their AU themselves? How much is their to it? Does the lower A-arm have to come out?

Had a dry squeak coming from the front left for a few weeks, thought it was the shock but took it to mechanic yesterday who by ear guessed ball joints. Suggested i jack it up and lifted under the wheel too check play in the ball joint. This evening i did just that and its definitely the lower ball joint, had about 3-4mm vertical play

The mechanic said you need a special tool to get them out, and would be about 150 in parts (not sure if that was both sides) plus an hours labour per side.

I will go back and talk to them again in the morning, but im not sure when they could do it, I assume its pretty dangerous as is and want it fixed asap. To get it done sooner and save on labour i'd prefer to do it myself, but not sure if its possible (might be able to rig up my own 'special tool'). I have access to a press and all the usual tools, in terms of personal ability ive done a fair bit of mechanical work myself including the notorious rear hubs in the IRS AU's.

Thoughts?

Cheers,
Luke

Old 01-09-2011, 08:44 PM   #2
Mr Hardware
Flairs - Truckers Delight

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: The excellent how to on LPG jet cleaning. 
Default Re: QUICK QUESTION, lower ball joints in AU, DIY?

You need a press
Old 01-09-2011, 08:45 PM   #3
LukeyST
ST fan

Christ that was a quick reply lol.

Not a problem, my old man has a 10ton workshop press in the shed.

Sounds like you have done them before?

Cheers.
Old 01-09-2011, 09:47 PM   #4
Reaper8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

two options 1.remove both control arms and use a big press or 2. get hold of a hand press and do it with them on. 2 is Lots easier there are a few threads on here about how people have made them with bits of pipe and some threaded rod welded to them. I just did 1 as i replaced the bushes while i had them out (not a fun job) good luck
Reaper8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-09-2011, 10:40 PM   #5
LukeyST
ST fan

Thanks mate I might give it a go then. Even if it is more work it sounds 'easier' to take the lot out and push it with a proper press.

Cheers.
Old 02-09-2011, 09:45 AM   #6
Reaper8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

If your goin to take them out have a look at your bushes they tend to split inside
Old 03-09-2011, 08:36 AM   #7
AMB
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always has a helpful answer in the technical sections, wether it's giving information on a simple diagnosis with a small issue, Helping someone fix their car if they are stuck on removing/installing something, or just need information on what works how. 

here you go Luke, how to make one, there's a few links in this thread:
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...ll+joint+press
AMB is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-09-2011, 04:58 PM   #8
LukeyST
ST fan

What a big job that was, a lot more work in taking the A arm out than what i had anticipated.

Took off the wheel, brake caliper and rotor no worries. Undid the nut on top of the ball joint and lifted the upright up off the A arm no worries. Disconnected the sway bar linkage and lower shock mount, again, no worries.

Then came the two A arm to chassis bolts, undid the front one first and it came out without a problem, but the bolt that goes through the alloy cross-member couldn't be taken right out because of the steering rack loosened the steering rack and turned the wheel hard-left and managed to get the bolt out. Both bolts now out I went to pull the A arm out but couldnt because of a stud that hangs down just outside the front shackle/mount This stud was one of four (2 each side) that holds another cross member which the forward-most A arm mounts are located in. After loosening and lowering this cross member i managed to get the arm right out

Pressing the old ball-joint out was the easiest part of the process by far, ended up using and old rear hub as a rest (AU irs hub, the recess the big nut locates in had the perfect inside diameter). Took the new ball-joint out of the freezer and pressed it in without trouble. Got the A-arm back in the car and everything else went back together in about 20 minutes.

Lesson learnt: press the ball joint out with the A-arm still on the car. To do the other side I have already worked out how i can make a press using the fore-mentioned rear hub.

Despite all the 'trouble' I had im still glad i did it myself. Only cost me $60 (for two ball-joints) and a few hours of my weekend (so far, have only done the 'bad' side).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaper8
If your goin to take them out have a look at your bushes they tend to split inside
The A-arm bushes seemed ok. I noticed the sway-bar to chassis mounting bushes were a bit sloppy but they are an easy job that can be done when i get around to getting new ones.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMB
here you go Luke, how to make one, there's a few links in this thread:
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...ll+joint+press
Thanks for that link. Using those old rear hubs i mentioned above I will make a press to do the other side.

Sorry for the long post

Cheers,
Luke
Old 04-09-2011, 02:33 PM   #9
LukeyST
ST fan

Got the other side (RHS) done this morning, as well as getting in some new sway bar bushes. Way easier doing this side using the press i rigged up.

2 old hubs and a couple of bolts, nuts and washers. Bob's ya uncle

Pic taken just after the old one popped out. Putting the new one in required another bit of tube and some spacers i had to make up.

Thanks again to those who posted and helped out.

Cheers.
Old 04-09-2011, 04:44 PM   #10
Reaper8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

good to hear you got them done, i did mine when i upgraded to S2 brakes so had all the ball joints and bushes in the arms. took me 6 hours from start to finish.makes a big difference my ball joints were shagged (putting it nicely). It's nice to drive a car now that don't bang and clunk at every bump in the road.
Old 04-09-2011, 06:49 PM   #11
LukeyST
ST fan

All things considered 6 hours aint too bad for ball joints and bushes, with whats involved, you did alright.

And new ball joints do make a difference ay, after changing the bad one yesterday i went for a quick spin and noticed the front end was a lot nicer. I went for a longer spin this afternoon after doing the other side and the sway bar bushes, man it turns in a lot nicer now! My cars fun to drive again
Old 04-09-2011, 08:28 PM   #12
ronwest
All Bran = Regular Member

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Yeah it's amazing what a difference new ball jts make. Mine was all over the road, creaking, rattling. Generally a pita.

New ball jts + wheel alignment = totally different driving pleasure
ronwest is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post