Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 08-09-2011, 08:02 PM   #1
rowan194
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Stripped nut on exhaust flange

Any ideas on how to get this thing off? Both a driver and ring spanner slip. (Haven't tried a normal spanner - that would be worse right?)

I've sprayed some penetrating lube on it and will try again tomorrow when the exhaust is stone cold (it was still lukewarm) but I'm worried the damage is already done.

Guess I need something that can grab the flat parts, rather than the corners...

Funny thing is that it was hard to do up properly (tight) when I replaced my welch plugs a few weeks ago, because it's in quite a fiddly location, so what's made it seize up since?

Thanks for any tips.

rowan194 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-09-2011, 08:08 PM   #2
falconhell74
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Stripped nut on exhaust flange

Try a single hex socket , you may need to hammer it on as you have burred the nut but it should get it off for you.

Audi A4 S-line quttro
Xc falcon
Previous fords-
xc falcon 500 ,250 x flow 3 speed
xc gs worked 250 x flow 4 speed
xa Fairmont 302 auto wagon
xb falcon 250 log auto 4 door
xb falcon 200 log auto ute
xc gs project - had to sell :-(
xc gs 302 4 speed 4 door
xc gs 351 auto 4 door
zf fairlane 302 auto
zk fairlane 250 x flow carb auto
zl fairlane 250 x flow EFI auto
xg ute , BA falcon dedicated gas
xd, xf x 3 ,ea,eb,ef,au x 3,telstar tx5
falconhell74 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-09-2011, 08:17 PM   #3
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Or go and buy a set or Irwin Tools rounded nut thingos - bunnings sell them in a set to suit most sized nuts.
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

FPV 335 build stats: <click here>

Ford Performance Club ACT
JC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-09-2011, 08:32 PM   #4
rowan194
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by falconhell74
Try a single hex socket , you may need to hammer it on as you have burred the nut but it should get it off for you.
Cheers, should have thought of that myself, considering how much of a snug fit they are. I'll give it a go tomorrow. Hopefully there's enough clearance so the socket doesn't foul on the bolt end. The other nut is also halfway to being rounded, but I left that one alone as soon as I realised what was happening.

I have no idea where to find replacement nuts... buy them from Ford? I was at Bayford only a few hours ago.
Old 08-09-2011, 09:04 PM   #5
falconhell74
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

once you have the old one off take it to a bolt shop -coventry fastners etc or your local car parts place

Audi A4 S-line quttro
Xc falcon
Previous fords-
xc falcon 500 ,250 x flow 3 speed
xc gs worked 250 x flow 4 speed
xa Fairmont 302 auto wagon
xb falcon 250 log auto 4 door
xb falcon 200 log auto ute
xc gs project - had to sell :-(
xc gs 302 4 speed 4 door
xc gs 351 auto 4 door
zf fairlane 302 auto
zk fairlane 250 x flow carb auto
zl fairlane 250 x flow EFI auto
xg ute , BA falcon dedicated gas
xd, xf x 3 ,ea,eb,ef,au x 3,telstar tx5
falconhell74 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-09-2011, 12:16 AM   #6
Day-mow
rexnet

super crap. and make sure you get hightensile ones. and you wont have the issue again
you could just angle grind it off?

Remember it is the internet,So beware of trolls, If you argue with trolls the kids will laugh at you

Follow me on twitter @ Day_mow
Day-mow is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-09-2011, 12:27 AM   #7
mongrelEF
Bugger!

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always offers competent advice. Always willing to help out in person. Never negative towards another. Always respectful. Always offers viable suggestions for solutions. 

Got room for vice grips?
Old 09-09-2011, 09:14 AM   #8
TheSly1

hammer a socket on over it, thats your best bet and will always work, the hardest part about that method sometimes is actually having room to be able to do that..

done it many times.. itll work like a charm and that nut isnt even that bad
TheSly1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-09-2011, 09:41 AM   #9
rowan194
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I got a "true" hex socket over it but it just strips the socket.

I looked at the socket and I can see the edges of the hexagon are slightly rounded rather than perfectly straight, presumably to make it easier to get on and off. Guess I need to find a better quality one.

Getting pliers or vice grips in there won't be easy, it's pretty cramped. And it just started raining!

A normal open ended spanner won't work right, since it won't be able to lock over the nut on all sides?

I still don't understand why it's seized when I only did it up a couple of weeks ago...

Waiting once more for my wife to get home so I can borrow her car...
Old 09-09-2011, 09:47 AM   #10
crakrz
T3 TE50 Blueprint

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Craig has shown and shared an outstanding amount of knowledge in the field of Tuning. Craig is only to happy to share with anyone that asks his knowledge on the EEC tuning system, in particularly in the use of Moates Quarterhorse and Binary Editor. 

Make sure you use "Loctite Anti-seize" paste on the threads when it goes back together. Always lubricate threads on assembly of parts. And with areas with such high temps, you need this stuff.

-Craig
crakrz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-09-2011, 10:09 AM   #11
rowan194
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by crakrz
Make sure you use "Loctite Anti-seize" paste on the threads when it goes back together. Always lubricate threads on assembly of parts. And with areas with such high temps, you need this stuff.
I was planning to lube the threads, but I'm having trouble finding anti-seize (supercheap gives me results for anti-freeze ). What extra function does anti-seize do that lube doesn't?

Back to the original question... would a flare wrench maybe be something to try? Looks like they're similar to an open end wrench, but have a hex shape and a better fit (hard contact against 5 sides). A "hex" spanner (completely closed, 6 sides) would be ideal but I don't know if those exist?

This was supposed to be a quick job: remove the manifold, replace the middle gasket, apply some gasket cement (exhaust temp rated) to faces and flange, replace the O2 sensor while it's out, reinstall the manifold.
Old 09-09-2011, 10:18 AM   #12
I reckon
Banned

heat it up with an oxy then undo it.failing that soak it with inox or wd-40 overnight , or get a cheapo socket and put it half over the nut and tack weld it on. i have done this before and works a treat.
I reckon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-09-2011, 10:48 AM   #13
rowan194
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

GOT IT! This time I really whacked the driver on, added an extra extension, and pushed hard upwards as I turned. It's amazing what a bit of a break to have a rant on here does.

Now it's off you can see that the damage is mainly to the upper part of the nut, so I probably just needed to get the driver on properly, and keep it on.

There is one slight problem... the nuts are still stuck fast, and last time I disconnected the flange just the nuts came off, not the whole bolt too. I guess this arrangement is so there's some room for adjustment rather than the bolt just stopping at a specific point. Does anyone know what these double ended bolts are called? I don't think I'm going to be able to get the nuts off without damaging them, so it's probably better just to replace everything.
Old 09-09-2011, 11:31 AM   #14
mac_man_luke
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

they would be "studs"
Old 09-09-2011, 02:14 PM   #15
david lee
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowan194

Any ideas on how to get this thing off? Both a driver and ring spanner slip. (Haven't tried a normal spanner - that would be worse right?)

I've sprayed some penetrating lube on it and will try again tomorrow when the exhaust is stone cold (it was still lukewarm) but I'm worried the damage is already done.

Guess I need something that can grab the flat parts, rather than the corners...
Funny thing is that it was hard to do up properly (tight) when I replaced my welch plugs a few weeks ago, because it's in quite a fiddly location, so what's made it seize up since?

Thanks for any tips.
heat the nut with an oxy remove the nut from the stud and reuse the stud
david lee is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-09-2011, 02:31 PM   #16
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

or carefully put a slot on each side of the nut with a dremel and try unscrewing it again, a couple of new nuts your away.
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-09-2011, 02:32 PM   #17
Day-mow
rexnet

just buy new HT bolts and nuts?

Remember it is the internet,So beware of trolls, If you argue with trolls the kids will laugh at you

Old 09-09-2011, 03:04 PM   #18
rowan194
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Day-mow
just buy new HT bolts and nuts?
Yeah, ended up buying them from Bayford spares. They look a fair bit different new.

Also got some anti-seize spray.
Old 09-09-2011, 03:09 PM   #19
Day-mow
rexnet

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowan194
Yeah, ended up buying them from Bayford spares. They look a fair bit different new.

Also got some anti-seize spray.
thats the way. i think mine are like 15mm bolt heads. the thread on them is decently chunky and again i have them on and off a fair bit and i've never had issues with them seizing or anything like that

Old 09-09-2011, 09:48 PM   #20
AMB
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always has a helpful answer in the technical sections, wether it's giving information on a simple diagnosis with a small issue, Helping someone fix their car if they are stuck on removing/installing something, or just need information on what works how. 

Who's saying heat them up with an oxy??? They're on the bloody exhaust manifold. Start the engine, get em hot. Works well on O2 sensor too.
AMB is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post