Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 13-06-2012, 08:59 PM   #1
Cam
Stroking it...

Default Odd start..

Evenin all

Some thoughts if you may!

Got my car this arvo, drove for 4k and stopped no worried. Git back into the car and it started and went to come up to idle and then died. I then tried again and it took a good 3 seconds to turn over. I drove home and tried again and it started fine.. Any Ideas????

It may not happen again for a day, a month, or a year. But.. I am about to take this car towing around Australia... so I need to it last longer then a year, reliably!

It's an AUII Fairmont wagon, 170k on the clock, full service history..

Thanks in advance!
Cam

Now: Busted assed EB Wagon - 5sp and Dual Fuel.
Cam is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-06-2012, 11:26 PM   #2
Evgeni
Auto Nerd

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: In recognition of the many hours spent scanning information for the benefit of AFF members. 
Default Re: Odd start..

Sticky IAC? If the car keeps cranking, but fires up when you give it some gas, it could be the problem. I had a similar issue which was fixed with some carb cleaner on the throttle body and IAC. Just a guess.
Evgeni is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-06-2012, 11:33 PM   #3
peterljohnson55

When you attempted to restart did you get absolutely nothing (eg. not even starter motor engaging?), initially, before it turned over?
Was the engine cold at beginning of 4k?
Any odour?
peterljohnson55 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-06-2012, 11:32 AM   #4
Cam
Stroking it...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evgeni
Sticky IAC? If the car keeps cranking, but fires up when you give it some gas, it could be the problem. I had a similar issue which was fixed with some carb cleaner on the throttle body and IAC. Just a guess.
Stupid question, is the IAC, is that also referred to as the ISC? I have a bit of a slight miss at idle, which from my E series days made me think the ISC may need a clean..

Keep in mind it's been 8 years since I've had a 6 banger, so my memory might be a little off!

Might need to sharpen up on my 6 banger skills!

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterljohnson55
When you attempted to restart did you get absolutely nothing (eg. not even starter motor engaging?), initially, before it turned over?
Was the engine cold at beginning of 4k?
Any odour?
Nope, the motor just kept turning over till it eventually kicked over..
Old 14-06-2012, 11:45 AM   #5
Evgeni
Auto Nerd

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: In recognition of the many hours spent scanning information for the benefit of AFF members. 

I'm pretty sure the IAC (Idle air control) is just another name for the ISC (idle speed control). Let just call it the big solenoid stuck on the throttle body that controls the valve in the throttle body..lol.
I had a slight miss on my I6, and it was a combination of the intake manifold, IAC/ISC and PCV in the rocker - plus a good spray and clean of the manifold and throttle body with carb clean.
Old 14-06-2012, 12:28 PM   #6
Mr Hardware
Flairs - Truckers Delight

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: The excellent how to on LPG jet cleaning. 

I'm picking it'll be some kind of fuel-related issue, perhaps a leaky line or intermittently faulty pump
Old 14-06-2012, 09:45 PM   #7
GK
Walking with God

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

[QUOTE=Cam]Stupid question, is the IAC, is that also referred to as the ISC? I have a bit of a slight miss at idle, which from my E series days made me think the ISC may need a clean..
[QUOTE]

Not a stupid question at all.

The answer = Yes and Yes!

It's good to give it a bit of a clean, along with the thottle body once a year or so.

GK

2015 Kia Sorento Platinum - Snow White Pearl

2001 Ducati Monster 900Sie - Red

Now gone!
1999 AU1 Futura Wagon - Sparkling Burgundy
On LPG

Want a Full Life? John 10:10
GK is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-06-2012, 10:24 PM   #8
TheInterceptor
Cruising...

I have a similar problem. Starter and battery are all good but he wont fire till he cranks over a couple of times (but still starts on the first try just takes longer)

Took ISC off, sprayed with WD40....then drenched and soaked it in WD...re-installed and it didnt make much of a difference.

When the throttle is applied while cranking, it starts up immediatley.

So im thinking perhaps the fuel filter is a bit blocked and not getting enough fuel through???

Subaru Outback '02
TheInterceptor is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-06-2012, 10:26 PM   #9
AU Mont
Banned

it wont be the idle solenoid.

when the car is warmed up, i cant see the car just dieing becuase of a sticky ISC?

it honestly could be anything, but a wild guess could be faulty fuel pump as AU's love chewing fuel pumps
AU Mont is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-06-2012, 12:05 AM   #10
Cam
Stroking it...

Sorry, just to clarify.. before driving the 4km the car was dead cold, had been sitting since 5am.. Also, on the first start the car died before it started to idle, it kind of started and stalled straight away..

A fuel filter is on my shopping list, so we'll see how it goes.. Will report back interceptor..

I do have a spare pump in my sedan, if I rip the actual "pump" from the sedan one will it fit the cradle for the wagon pump??
EDIT: Maybe I should just wack my 040 in the wagon too
Old 15-06-2012, 12:49 AM   #11
BHDOGS
Banned

ect sensor is all i can think off.
BHDOGS is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-06-2012, 09:07 PM   #12
Cam
Stroking it...

Just to re-ask - Can I rip the pump from the cradle in my sedan, and fit it into the wagon??
Old 19-06-2012, 11:03 PM   #13
Evgeni
Auto Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cam
Just to re-ask - Can I rip the pump from the cradle in my sedan, and fit it into the wagon??
Whilst I have never had the fuel pumps from both chasis out to compare, I would say no. Wagon and sedan pumps are listed under different part numbers.