Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 21-06-2012, 11:07 PM   #1
TheInterceptor
Cruising...

Default Fuel gauge goin up n down

Hello all!

Got into the wagon this morning to go to work...start up and all is well, go down my driveway and then i notice the fuel light and the gauge is reading dead empty! Turned it off then on again and it went to full (where it should be as i filled up last night full tank) then after 3 seconds it instantly droppped to empty.

Strange...so i drove to work, as i went along, it crept up heading to where it should be, by the time i got to work it was pretty close to full.

Had to run to Bunnings during the day, pretty short trip around the block, no oddities with the gauge.

Coming home, all was well till i dropped off my workmate tonight, left it idling in park, came back and the light was on and needle on dead empty. Began creeping up on the way home.

So here i am. Is the fuel sender cactus? Where is it and what can i do to fix it? If not that, what is it and how can i fix it?

Cheers!

Subaru Outback '02
TheInterceptor is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-06-2012, 12:46 AM   #2
T2TICK4D

Default Re: Fuel gauge goin up n down

My au 2 ute done the same thing but I ended up just selling the car
Old 22-06-2012, 01:05 AM   #3
XRGhia
meh.
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Contributions in the technical arena. 

Sender issue. If it doesn't detect a sender for the fuel guage, it'll go to full, then drop to empty. Once you go over a bump or something, a connector is probably bumping it back into place.
Old 22-06-2012, 01:57 AM   #4
TheInterceptor
Cruising...

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordauute2000
My au 2 ute done the same thing but I ended up just selling the car
Haha well thats one way to fix the problem!

Quote:
Originally Posted by xrghiawagon
Sender issue. If it doesn't detect a sender for the fuel guage, it'll go to full, then drop to empty. Once you go over a bump or something, a connector is probably bumping it back into place.
Okay thanks, so how do i rectify this issue? Where is the sender located and how is it accessed? Id like to hopefully fix it today

Cheers.

Subaru Outback '02
TheInterceptor is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post