Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 03-09-2011, 02:53 PM   #1
BHDOGS
Banned

Default Au Fairmont V8

Hey all i have just brought a v8 fairmont au series 2 on gas from a car yard on gas it backfires and dies during acceleration and on petrol it runs but while accelerating it stutters or hesitates but doesnt stall its done 180,000 kms also im new to v8s so was wondering wat cheap mods can be done to it it came with genie headers and a 2 and 1/2 inch exhaust and its auto

BHDOGS is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-09-2011, 03:01 PM   #2
portokatsiki

Default Re: Au Fairmont V8

hey there
my nl fairlane v8 on gas had the same symptons I changed plugs leads rotor button and dizzy cap and fixed all the backfiring on gas. Yours being a AU hasnt got a dizzy its got coil packs which are more expensive (not sure if you have to change the coil packs I would) on the petrol side of things I had to change the mass air flow meter. The backfiring on gas damaged the element inside the mass airflow meter hope this helps
portokatsiki is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-09-2011, 03:05 PM   #3
mongrelEF
Bugger!

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always offers competent advice. Always willing to help out in person. Never negative towards another. Always respectful. Always offers viable suggestions for solutions. 

I wouldn't change the coil pack unless you have to - did one a few months ago for a customer and the cheapest he could get it was about $700!
Plugs and leads first, also use a timing light to check the harmonic balancer hasn't spun. That's more common on the EF/EL v8s, but worth checking anyway.
Old 03-09-2011, 03:28 PM   #4
b2tf
not here much anymore

Quote:
Originally Posted by mongrelEF
I wouldn't change the coil pack unless you have to - did one a few months ago for a customer and the cheapest he could get it was about $700!
Then he's not looking hard enough. Motorcraft ones for around $200 on Ebay or better still MSD Ignition coils which are a straight fit and better quality.
Old 03-09-2011, 03:42 PM   #5
portokatsiki

Forgot to add after doing all that took the car to a gas place and put the car on the analyzer to adjust the mixtures
I bought a set of MSD coils off ebay usa 2 months ago for $185 delivered
portokatsiki is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-09-2011, 04:02 PM   #6
BHDOGS
Banned

ive had a look properly theres a little hole up the top of the intake pipe with nothing in it near the throttle body? also after intake and exhaust what mods are next on a windsor? any point in a tune at this early stage?
Old 03-09-2011, 10:58 PM   #7
peterban
AULTD

Should be a plug in air temp sensor that pushes into the hole.
peterban is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-09-2011, 11:05 PM   #8
mongrelEF
Bugger!

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always offers competent advice. Always willing to help out in person. Never negative towards another. Always respectful. Always offers viable suggestions for solutions. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by b2tf
Then he's not looking hard enough. Motorcraft ones for around $200 on Ebay or better still MSD Ignition coils which are a straight fit and better quality.
Heh, I won't tell him that now, it'd just upset him. That's why I get people to find their own bits, that way I don't get yelled at!
Old 04-09-2011, 02:47 AM   #9
BHDOGS
Banned

Ah an air temp sensor thats obviously the char grilled wire and plug that was hanging next to my extractors after being left out no doubt could this be causing the surging and bad acceleration or stalling on gas?
Old 04-09-2011, 10:26 AM   #10
b2tf
not here much anymore

Quote:
Originally Posted by BHDOGS
Ah an air temp sensor thats obviously the char grilled wire and plug that was hanging next to my extractors after being left out no doubt could this be causing the surging and bad acceleration or stalling on gas?
Yep - if it falls out of the pipe it's usually cooked on #4 extractor pipe.
Old 04-09-2011, 02:49 PM   #11
BHDOGS
Banned

haha thats exactly the one b2tf if i buy another one shouldnt i be able to just wire it into the excisting good wires and it will run fine?
Old 04-09-2011, 09:38 PM   #12
b2tf
not here much anymore

Quote:
Originally Posted by BHDOGS
haha thats exactly the one b2tf if i buy another one shouldnt i be able to just wire it into the excisting good wires and it will run fine?
Yep, did the plug on the end of the loom get melted? Might be a bit trickier if it did.
Old 05-09-2011, 02:15 AM   #13
BHDOGS
Banned

yeh the whole thing and half the wire up to the loom connection has been fried also would putting a bigger maf and throttle body onto my car make it breath better and would a bigger replacement fit onto the existing manifold and maf black box?
Old 10-09-2011, 09:48 PM   #14
BHDOGS
Banned

Well putting a new air intake sensor on has fixed the issue haha but since putting on a bigger snorkle and k/n filter the gas has gone abit crap again its this due to the extra air now getting into the intake and would need another gas tune?