Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 24-04-2012, 01:15 PM   #91
Day-mow
rexnet

Default Re: How often do you service your AU engine?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evgeni
Ok - tried Gulf Western 10w-30. Great for lifter noise. After 3000km's can't hear a thing from the top of the engine.
But now there is a knock from the underside of the engine.
Ok when cold and the pressure is high, but rears its ugly head when the engine is up to temp.
Thinking I might try something like a 10w-40 or a 10w to 50.
Tried to do my bit for a small aussie company. Bought some extra bottles, which I will now use for flushing.
Anyone have any recommendations to quieten down the bottom half of the motor. Want to try something else than Castrol 15w-40.

Also, has anyone ever changed bearing shells from the bottom of the engine? Just for future reference if the knock gets worse. Figured this would be easier than putting a new motor in, if it can be done.
Nulon is also an australian company. they are major sponsor of the V8 Ute series and i believe they all run Nulon fully synth. i rate it as an added bonus its quite affordable and comes in 6L bottles for top ups.

Remember it is the internet,So beware of trolls, If you argue with trolls the kids will laugh at you

Follow me on twitter @ Day_mow
Day-mow is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-04-2012, 11:58 PM   #92
Evgeni
Auto Nerd

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: In recognition of the many hours spent scanning information for the benefit of AFF members. 

Thanks Day Mow - put some 15w50 in tonight. Goodbye engine vibrations! The knock is still there, but you need to stick your head in the wheel arch to hear it when the motor is warm. Not losing power, so the jury is out as to whether it is an issue with the bottom half. Idle has smoothed out as well.
Maybe the oil I had in before accummulated too much water with all the rain that we have had. No metal glitter in the oil that came out either.
Evgeni is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-04-2012, 10:35 AM   #93
Day-mow
rexnet

No metal glitter is always handy. Haha

Remember it is the internet,So beware of trolls, If you argue with trolls the kids will laugh at you

Follow me on twitter @ Day_mow
Day-mow is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-04-2012, 12:35 AM   #94
Evgeni
Auto Nerd

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: In recognition of the many hours spent scanning information for the benefit of AFF members. 

Well the knock has turned into a tap and today after a about 100k trip it was a ticking noise. 99% it is the lifters/lash adjusters as the frequency is too slow for ignition timing/bottom end.
Last two gas fills with the change and I am getting 13l/100km. Was getting 15l to 16l/100km on a lighter viscosity. Go figure?
Would greater film strength equate to reduced friction?

The ticking is only there at warm idle. No noise when it is cold, so I have little doubt that the bearing clearances have increased a fraction of a millimeter. Might try and go up to a 15W60 next change and see what this does.
Also, I am using the standard Ryco Z9 at the moment. In theory a more restrictive oil filter should raise the oil pressure. Has anyone ever tried this?
Old 29-04-2012, 01:24 AM   #95
stoodoo
Falcon R.I.P. 1960 - 2016

Been using the Nulon Full Synthetic 10W-40 Hi-Tech Fast Flowing Engine Oil in my engine for years, change it every 5,000 kms. Maybe overkill??? Dunno, but like to think the engine will last. My last car was a 1985 XF optioned with 3.3 litre engine. It had done 330,000kms + when I sold it. Oil was changed every 5,000kms. It didn't burn any oil that I noticed. I think oil change frequency is as important as quality of oil.... as long as you use a similar oil viscosity as recommended by factory.

Cheers
stoodoo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-06-2012, 10:21 PM   #96
Evgeni
Auto Nerd

Ran an oil flush on the weekend and topped it up with Penrite 15w60 for its 210,000k service.
All noises have now gone and still getting between 13l-14l per 100kms on lpg. Should have done this earlier!!
Old 18-06-2012, 10:27 PM   #97
KR1STO
Just another mock-up..

I service mine every 5000km or once a year if it hasn't done 5000km for the 12 month periond..
I use Mobil 1 Full Synthetic in mine..
I know I could leave it longer but, with it only doing minimal km per year, it gives me something to do..
Just about to do another service and she's done less that 2000km since last June.. Sad really..

see my car here:
Built my own TL50!!!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
KR1STO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-06-2012, 12:44 AM   #98
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Well thought out and constructive posts.  A real credit to this forum. 

You love it kris, don't lie.

2022 Mazda CX5 GTSP Turbo

2018 Hyundai Santa Fe Highlander

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2021 Subaru Outback Sport
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 AU2 75th Anniversary Futura
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8