Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 15-06-2012, 12:52 PM   #1
sblythman

Default Battery Issues????

Hey guys ive got an au xr8 that i supercharged the end of last year and it has been running fine since then but as of lately i have not been able to get out in it as often as i would like to (probably about once or twice a month).

The issue is the last two times i have taken it out for a drive i have turned the car off only to hop back in it and try and start it with absolutely nothing. Not even a flinch from the starter motor. i'll explain both times...

1st time - Got in the car started fine, drove about 6 minutes up to the shops and switched it off. Had the radio running for about 1-2 minutes not even loud and i went to turn it on and just nothing at all happened, no power to the starter at all but all the electrics where still working. Lucky i was on a hill and i was able to roll start it and took it home.

2nd time - Hopped in the car started fine even though the previous flat battery up at the shops?? drove it down to the golf course afterwards hopped back in it and again with just nothing from the starter motor and electrics were slow and so i had to get one of my mates to jump start it but it was reaaally flat, we had to run his car for 2-3 minutes before we could start mine. Drove it home and then i just went out to it then after a week of it sitting there and it started fine???!!!

So basically i only get a flat battery when i leave my house??? The battery has never been flat at my house (even after sitting for 1.5 months) but take it for a 25 minute drive and it wont start again?? Does anyone have any ideas??? is this just the basic symptoms of a dieing battery??

sblythman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-06-2012, 01:05 PM   #2
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

Default Re: Battery Issues????

Could be, but do a check on how much volts is being delivered into your battery by your alternator. If it is between say 13.5 to 14.5 volts then you can rule out your charging system.

1970 XW Falcon GT replica | 1970 XW Falcon | 1971 XY Fairmont | 1973 ZG Fairlane | 1986 XF Falcon panel van | 1987 XFII Falcon S-Pack | 1988 XF Falcon GLS ute | 1993 EBII Fairmont V8 | 1996 XG Falcon ute | 2000 AU Falcon wagon | 2004 BA Falcon XT | 2012 SZ Territory Titanium AWD

Proud to buy Australian and support Ford Australia through thick and thin
Road_Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-06-2012, 01:56 PM   #3
sblythman

Just checked the battery...
ignition off: 11.94 volts
Ignition on: 14.45 volts

So that sounds pretty much fine yes? Could it be possible that the alternator is intermittently not working? Even then it doesnt explain why it is ALWAYS at full charge when im at home?
Old 15-06-2012, 02:06 PM   #4
4ford

Interesting comment, "...nothing at all happened, no power to the starter at all but all the electrics where still working."

I seem to recall that when the key is turned to START, most everything else is automatically selected OFF by the key (except for the lights), things like wipers, radio, aircon fan are temporarily OFF whilst the key is held in START.

Is there a problem there?
4ford is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-06-2012, 02:19 PM   #5
Bushbasher
When in doubt, GAS IT!!

Have you checked that it's not actually the starter motor dying. Sounds to me like the starter motor is happy to crank over the first time from dead cold but then won't play once a little warmth is added to the mix from heat soak from the block. There's another thread in the LPG forum where the guy had almost exactly the same symptoms and it turned out to be the starter. If you can get your hands on another one I'd be starting there and doing a swap because a dead battery would cause the starter solenoid to try to kick in when you turned the key and you'd get a tick-tick-tick-tick before everything stopped, a dead starter can/will give you nothing like someone has disconnected it.

Just a thought.

Bushbasher

HERS- BFIII Wagon Gold, alloys, dual fuel, bullbar, big tow pack, trans cooler, fully rebuilt HD suspension, Clarion, alarmed, full 2 1/2" sports system, mint body

MINE- AUII Forte
Meteorite, dual fuel but otherwise bog stock.

MINE- AUII Fairlane Sportsman Liquid Silver over meteorite,HIDs', Airhog, Eagle Leads, dual fuel, custom rear springs, BA slotted discs + a second one for spares

Bushbasher is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-06-2012, 02:44 PM   #6
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

That battery of yours is flat if that is the voltage it returned. Bung it on a charger.

1970 XW Falcon GT replica | 1970 XW Falcon | 1971 XY Fairmont | 1973 ZG Fairlane | 1986 XF Falcon panel van | 1987 XFII Falcon S-Pack | 1988 XF Falcon GLS ute | 1993 EBII Fairmont V8 | 1996 XG Falcon ute | 2000 AU Falcon wagon | 2004 BA Falcon XT | 2012 SZ Territory Titanium AWD

Old 15-06-2012, 02:47 PM   #7
sblythman

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4ford
Interesting comment, "...nothing at all happened, no power to the starter at all but all the electrics where still working."

I seem to recall that when the key is turned to START, most everything else is automatically selected OFF by the key (except for the lights), things like wipers, radio, aircon fan are temporarily OFF whilst the key is held in START.

Is there a problem there?
Oh sorry i meant like there was still enough power for the radio to turn on the sunroof to shut and for me to wind up the windows. On the 2nd occurence though the windows were very slow to go up so it was very flat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushbasher
Have you checked that it's not actually the starter motor dying. Sounds to me like the starter motor is happy to crank over the first time from dead cold but then won't play once a little warmth is added to the mix from heat soak from the block. There's another thread in the LPG forum where the guy had almost exactly the same symptoms and it turned out to be the starter. If you can get your hands on another one I'd be starting there and doing a swap because a dead battery would cause the starter solenoid to try to kick in when you turned the key and you'd get a tick-tick-tick-tick before everything stopped, a dead starter can/will give you nothing like someone has disconnected it.

Just a thought.

Bushbasher
See i was just thinking this same thing as well that maybe the starter motor was playing up once it had some heat in it but then i realised that the 2nd time round at the golf course...

A) the car was cold, it had been sitting there for nearly 4 hours and

B) I jump started it with my friends car in the end anyway so the starter motor worked then. It would not even make the tick sound after a lot of trys and then we hooked it up to my friends car and then even after a few goes and holding the revs up on his car the starter motor ticked and started the car first go?? so obviously there was no charge in the battery.
Old 15-06-2012, 02:50 PM   #8
sblythman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road_Warrior
That battery of yours is flat if that is the voltage it returned. Bung it on a charger.
What should the voltage read for a charged one? i thought about 12 volts was normal?
Old 15-06-2012, 03:05 PM   #9
Evgeni
Auto Nerd

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: In recognition of the many hours spent scanning information for the benefit of AFF members. 

Ideally 12.6v
Evgeni is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-06-2012, 03:31 PM   #10
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

Quote:
Originally Posted by sblythman
What should the voltage read for a charged one? i thought about 12 volts was normal?
Yes but you need in excess of 12 volts to make the whole shooting match work, anything less than that constitutes a flat battery and you clearly have less than 12 volts, I've had batteries returning 12.2v and refused to start the car, yours is as flat as a pancake at 11.94v

Get a battery charger if you don't already have one, they're very handy to have for any vehicle you own regardless of whether you need it now or not

I have three