Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 27-05-2006, 11:19 AM   #1
troyboy
Starter Motor

Default AU II Falcon Problem....Please Help

Hi Guy's.....Just Joined Great Forum

I Just Have One Question I'm Hoping Someone Can Help Out With ?

I have an AU II Falcon and like every other AU owner have major drama's with the Keyless Entry Remote. At the moment none of them are working, but it seems to be more than the battery coming away from the circuit board.

I have tried to re-program them by following the instructions in the manual, using the rear window demister (which I have done many times before) but this time its just not working. I press the demister 3 times in 5 seconds with the key in the "I" position and the doors arn't locking like they should.

Becuase they arn't locking, I am unable to use the remotes as I can't programe them. I looked in the fuse box, hoping that there was a smartlock fuse that may have blown, but nothing ?

Anybody got any idea's ? Ive been to Ford this morning and they arn't open on Saturday :(

Any Help Is Much Appreciated

Cheers
TroyBoy

troyboy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-05-2006, 04:49 PM   #2
bodes-sh
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Smile

try pressing the demister button more that 3 times, the first time i did mine i kept pressing it until the locks cycled....oh by the way welcome
bodes-sh is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-05-2006, 04:59 PM   #3
GlennBA
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Those remotes always break. 2 of mine have broken, you can buy replacements off ebay for a fraction of what ford charge. As for getting the locks to cycle.. keep trying. It could take like 20 goes.
GlennBA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-05-2006, 10:52 AM   #4
troyboy
Starter Motor

Thanks guy's Ive spent hours trying but no luck....its like it just stopped working...
Old 28-05-2006, 12:27 PM   #5
Rob
Living the dream

Regarding the problems with battery connection probs, just crack open the remote, fold some tissue up and sit it under the battery. Should keep it in contact. Blu-tack works too, but it leaves yuckies.
Rob is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-05-2006, 02:13 PM   #6
private9
www.TUFFCARPARTS.com

"I have tried to re-program them by following the instructions in the manual, using the rear window demister (which I have done many times before) but this time its just not working. I press the demister 3 times in 5 seconds with the key in the "I" position and the doors arn't locking like they should."

My AU3 is exactly the same! Won't bloody go into learning mode!
Still haven't been able to figure it out, so guess I'll be getting the next service done at a Fraud dealership!
private9 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-05-2006, 05:31 PM   #7
XR6-VCT-2000
Fantastic Plastic

Im just wondering maybe , if you guys that can't get the locks to cycle to reprogram the remote , maybe check your car battery and make sure it has enough charge , sounds like a problem mentioned elsewhere on here about people not being able to unlock their car with the remote ( battery was too dead to cycle the locks / allthough it would start the car ) .. just a suggestion - maybe , sounds like more than a remote problem imo if you cant get the locks to cycle when pushing the rear-demist button to start the procedure .

:eclipsee_
XR6-VCT-2000 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-05-2006, 07:59 PM   #8
GK
Walking with God

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR6-VCT-2000
Im just wondering maybe , if you guys that can't get the locks to cycle to reprogram the remote , maybe check your car battery and make sure it has enough charge , sounds like a problem mentioned elsewhere on here about people not being able to unlock their car with the remote ( battery was too dead to cycle the locks / allthough it would start the car ) .. just a suggestion - maybe , sounds like more than a remote problem imo if you cant get the locks to cycle when pushing the rear-demist button to start the procedure .
I'm tipping if the battery was that low, the problem wouldn't be with the remote, it'd be with the darn car not starting! LOL!

Open up the remote, replace the battery, check to see if the little metal terminals are still ok, sometimes they crack and need resoldering.

GK

2015 Kia Sorento Platinum - Snow White Pearl

2001 Ducati Monster 900Sie - Red

Now gone!
1999 AU1 Futura Wagon - Sparkling Burgundy
On LPG

Want a Full Life? John 10:10
GK is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-05-2006, 08:42 PM   #9
troyboy
Starter Motor

I'm not even getting to the remote....The doors arn't going through there cycling process. When I press the demister 3 times in 5 seconds the doors arn't locking, so I am not even getting to the stage where i press the unlock button on the remote....
Old 28-05-2006, 09:49 PM   #10
XR6-VCT-2000
Fantastic Plastic

Quote:
Originally Posted by troyboy
I'm not even getting to the remote....The doors arn't going through there cycling process. When I press the demister 3 times in 5 seconds the doors arn't locking, so I am not even getting to the stage where i press the unlock button on the remote....
Thats why i recomending checking your car battery , the central locking mechanism uses a fair few amps , and being the car is in accesories key position / and not with the engine running , everything while programing the keypad is relying on the car battery . Worth checking .

Old 29-05-2006, 09:58 AM   #11
troyboy
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR6-VCT-2000
Thats why i recomending checking your car battery , the central locking mechanism uses a fair few amps , and being the car is in accesories key position / and not with the engine running , everything while programing the keypad is relying on the car battery . Worth checking .
No probs..I might try that. Can I reprogram them if I run it through jumper leads off another car ?
Old 29-05-2006, 06:02 PM   #12
XR6-VCT-2000
Fantastic Plastic

Quote:
Originally Posted by troyboy
No probs..I might try that. Can I reprogram them if I run it through jumper leads off another car ?

Your not really supposed to use normal jumper leads on cars with ecu's anyway for safety reasons . But for safety sake though, imo i would just take out the battery and put in another battery to test with that you know is good ( 1 of the same size/rating or close as. ). At least then you know for sure you are getting the full amps and volts of the newer battery , no room for error like with running leads everywhere and creating resistance between the batterys with jumper leads ;) . Just be sure to have your code for the Headset/radio handy if you go disconecting the car battery , as you will need the code to get the factory headset/radio working again .

p.s , your demister does work yeah ? ..lol , make sure the light for the demister comes on when you press the demister button in / to make sure ya demister button isn't broken ! ..lol

Old 29-05-2006, 11:48 PM   #13
XR6-VCT-2000
Fantastic Plastic

Oh it just occured to me too , when i originally re-programed my keypad a while back, i also did NOT get a clicking sound from the central locking mechanism / instead my indicators/hazardlights flashed for a second to indicate it was in learning mode ! . And there is nothing wrong with my central locking , it all works fine and the keypad reprogramed no worries too. Just thought i would mention this as the artice i originally read ages ago about doing this procedure said that the central locking mechanism would make a click sound . Watch your indicator lights on the dash/speedo cluster while pressing the demist button procedure , and watch to see if they flash . Your model maybe the same as my setup ???

Old 30-05-2006, 09:29 AM   #14
troyboy
Starter Motor

Thats again mate...my battery is only 12 months old, my demister does work, the only clicking i hear is when i turn the demister on/off/on/off/on/off.

I rang ford last night and asked them...useless as . He told me that it does run through a fuse but dosn't know which one....and these blokes service my car :|

Ive told my missus to walk into ford and tell them you want to put the car in...when they ask whats wrong with it, tell them the remotes cant be programmed....then see if they have a quick look at it straight away.
Old 30-05-2006, 06:24 PM   #15
bodes-sh
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

ok, i dont know if you have tried this but.....when the manual says 3 times in 5 seconds, it really means 3 times in 5 seconds, ie space the presses so you do it 3 times in the 5 seconds, and faster or slower and it wont work...
bodes-sh is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-05-2006, 07:08 PM   #16
clontarf_x
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

If the Indicators DONT flash and you don't have the door locks cycling. I would say U have a fault central locking module. Check all fuses as suggested before, and of course make sure u are getting a red light on your keypad to show there is a signal being sent to the car.

I would imagine it safe to assume if the red light comes on on your keypad when u hit a button and the car does crap all there is a fault within the central locking

off to a sparky for ye
clontarf_x is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-05-2006, 09:23 PM   #17
XR6-VCT-2000
Fantastic Plastic

Yeah true there as clontarf X mentioned , if your getting the red led flashing on the keypad/remote while pressing the buttons, then it sounds like a problem on the central locking side , not the remote/keypad .

Old 21-12-2007, 01:03 AM   #18
Nurse Josh
Medico!

Hi all,

A few hints-

- unlock car door with key- get in and close door
- within 5 seconds turn key to acc
- within 5 seconds press the demist button 3 times- firmly for about .5 sec each time
- wait for car to cycle lock / unlock
- press a button on EACH OF THE REMOTES YOU WANT TO PROGRAM. after each remote the vehicle should cycle lock / unlock

I found that i needed to reprogram all of my remotes- not just the new one!
Programmed the new one rendering the old one inoperable. program them all (up to 3) in the one hit.

Don't know if there is any reason why this process is more successful done this way- just my findings!

Battery holders coming loose from the printed circuit board is always been a problem. first try some foam / sponge between the housing and the battery holder. if this fails, like mine did go to jaycar electronics and buy yourself some conductive silver paste.
soldering the holder is too difficult with a domestic soldering iron- too hot and you will fry your components too!
file the terminals of the battery holder till its clean of the dry solder. apply the paste to both the terminals and the dry sockets. apply small amount of strong bond adhesive to the feet of the holder. line up the connections and press together.

takes about 2 minutes to do and it works...

Good luck

Cheers! Josh
Nurse Josh is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-12-2007, 01:25 AM   #19
GK
Walking with God

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nurse Josh
Hi all,

A few hints-

- unlock car door with key- get in and close door
- within 5 seconds turn key to acc
- within 5 seconds press the demist button 3 times- firmly for about .5 sec each time
- wait for car to cycle lock / unlock
- press a button on EACH OF THE REMOTES YOU WANT TO PROGRAM. after each remote the vehicle should cycle lock / unlock

I found that i needed to reprogram all of my remotes- not just the new one!
Programmed the new one rendering the old one inoperable. program them all (up to 3) in the one hit.

Don't know if there is any reason why this process is more successful done this way- just my findings!

Battery holders coming loose from the printed circuit board is always been a problem. first try some foam / sponge between the housing and the battery holder. if this fails, like mine did go to jaycar electronics and buy yourself some conductive silver paste.
soldering the holder is too difficult with a domestic soldering iron- too hot and you will fry your components too!
file the terminals of the battery holder till its clean of the dry solder. apply the paste to both the terminals and the dry sockets. apply small amount of strong bond adhesive to the feet of the holder. line up the connections and press together.

takes about 2 minutes to do and it works...

Good luck

Cheers! Josh
Some good advice Josh.

You do need to reprogram all the remotes at once!

GK

Now gone!
On LPG

Old 21-12-2007, 02:32 AM   #20
curtleyw
Goodbye stock AU

I have posted this somewhere else but can't remember where so:
Press the button 3 times IE ON/OFF/ON.
I believe you are turning On/Off 3 times and this will not work.
Old 21-12-2007, 11:27 AM   #21
GK
Walking with God

Quote:
Originally Posted by curtleyw
I have posted this somewhere else but can't remember where so:
Press the button 3 times IE ON/OFF/ON.
I believe you are turning On/Off 3 times and this will not work.
That's another good point, pushing the button 3 times total in 5 seconds is what's required. Turning off and on would actually be 6 times. LOL!

GK

Now gone!
On LPG

Old 21-12-2007, 11:47 AM   #22
FGII-XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

also if either the rear demister or interior light fuse are blown it will not enter programing mode ant there must be a globe in the interior light just to complicate things
FGII-XR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-12-2007, 11:54 AM   #23
james22
With da Warlords

Quote:
Originally Posted by au3xr6
also if either the rear demister or interior light fuse are blown it will not enter programing mode ant there must be a globe in the interior light just to complicate things
Wouldn't surprise me if you had to click your fingers and do a twirl too

For Sale: Parachute. Only used once, never opened, small stain.

Windsor Warlords
AU III XR-8220
300+ rwhp of Manual fun

XR50T Ute - 300rwkw (give or take depending on the day)
james22 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-09-2011, 06:44 PM   #24
fishmark
Starter Motor

Default Re: AU II Falcon Problem....Please Help

This may be an old post but just for reference to clarify the key position into acc. of aal the au's that I've dealt with there are 4 positions on key barrel O,I,II,III. that is O (for off) I (for acc) II (for ign) and III (for start) I think most people make the common mistake of switching straight to ignition(position II) instead of accessories(position I) hope this helps

Cheers and good luck

Mark
fishmark is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post