Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 08-03-2008, 03:24 PM   #31
Stav
Smile

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always ready to help others over the years on AFF with advice and tips along the way 

Quote:
Originally Posted by stockoau
All the same you are asking peoples opinions on if you should or shouldn't do a mod you are not mentioning, it doesn't bother me that you don't want to spill the beans, I just can't see how someone could advise one way or the other without knowing what it is. Some people will just say do it, improve power, but without knowing what it is and the possible out comes any advise of the sort is worthless.
Nar the advice has been good.Its been a help...its all good...Thanks heaps....heheh
Stav

Single din radio fascias for fg to fgx fords Australia wide .

FG 1 2 and 3 gauge holder in stock now! https://stingraycar.com.au/shop/
Site Sponsor See Sponsor Stingray Car Security 😍👌✌

AU wagon 6 14.241@96.75 1/4 mile sold.Octane fg xr6 turbo!! 12.312 112.21 mph home tune f6 injectors gone ..now in nitro fgxr6t ready to go again
Stav is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-03-2008, 04:37 PM   #32
Laminge
Cuban... nothing like it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stav
Even though it is over the exhaust ..on a cool night that pod will give more power than the standard intake or most peoples long steel intake pipes .

No it wont, not every time anyhows.

Stav Im somewhat amused by this thread but have refrained from posting anything till now.

I dont know about the others here, but if you going to ask us for opinions tell us what your looking at doing, otherwise all I can see this thread doing is playing a cat and mouse game with the members and I wont allow that.

If you want to be treated with respect, bother to show the same to the members here and stop with this 6% forecast.
Laminge is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-03-2008, 04:56 PM   #33
Stav
Smile

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always ready to help others over the years on AFF with advice and tips along the way 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laminge
No it wont, not every time anyhows.

Stav Im somewhat amused by this thread but have refrained from posting anything till now.

I dont know about the others here, but if you going to ask us for opinions tell us what your looking at doing, otherwise all I can see this thread doing is playing a cat and mouse game with the members and I wont allow that.

If you want to be treated with respect, bother to show the same to the members here and stop with this 6% forecast.
Heehe ok..true.Didnt want to come across like that sorry all : :

AU wagon 6 14.241@96.75 1/4 mile sold.Octane fg xr6 turbo!! 12.312 112.21 mph home tune f6 injectors gone ..now in nitro fgxr6t ready to go again
Old 08-03-2008, 04:59 PM   #34
Stav
Smile

I am trying to build a true cold air intake..not these airboxes or aibox from a fridge.Thinking of a bonnet scoop and freezing air.I know it is worth 5 to 7 % increase in power.

Old 08-03-2008, 05:01 PM   #35
blackers10
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

so your wanting to port it.. grab a pile of them and just practice lots

as im pretty sure the one thing AU owners dont do is head work..

or go nuts with cold air induction..
i think a Liberty scoop would be good rather than the shaker or long pipeing
Old 08-03-2008, 06:15 PM   #36
sly
Sly like a G6

Quote:
Thinking of a bonnet scoop and freezing air.I know it is worth 5 to 7 % increase in power.
Have you allowed for the power loss from driving a bigger aircon compressor? Hmmm belt-driven intake air cooler, I wonder if that can be turbine-driven by the exhaust gases LOL...

Seriously, it sounds like it could be worthwhile, just depends on how much it will cost you v's other ways of lifting power.
The Frankenfalcon... AU1.5 Wagon, BA brakes, AU2 booster, BA2 XR6T engine, stock from airbox to turbo, 8psi/98 octane tune 240RWKW, BF XR6T cat, quiet 3" zorst, Pex BSO660 & BSO439 mufflers, 84 db, built BTR box, 3.08 LSD, Emer SVI LPG, AU1 XR8 alloys, Momo wheel, JVC KDR746BT head unit, Aerpro steering wheel control wiring.

Sleeper, anyone?
sly is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-03-2008, 06:25 PM   #37
Stav
Smile

If done properly it should be worth 5 to 7 rwkws.Just need a cold air intake.I wont be proting anything though...The bbm is a great unit.

Old 08-03-2008, 08:09 PM   #38
trick_xd
I build your wish list...

Stav
I don't normally post in threads BUT
I like reading your story's they always make me laugh.
But trying to chase cheap power is what every car guy in the world wants to do .
I think you ether have to Harden up and just do stuff... and don't give a crap what people on here say and try things your self if it works great , if not , stuff it and try something else.

P.S. you can get over 20 rwHP from less then 200$ if you can do stuff your self . ( yes I read you do all your own work)
trick_xd is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-03-2008, 11:25 AM   #39
LG
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Not worth it.. For the effort and the practicallity of setting something up to constantly give cold air. Bonnet scoops look crap, unless it's a EL sequential on an EL.

Leave it as it is.
Old 09-03-2008, 12:15 PM   #40
LG
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

For a proper intake, you can't get much better than a SS Inductions Scoop, with a little deflector in your grill. Then a Pod filter, linked up to a 3" Intake pipe (which you should only look at if your already making over 150rwkw).

You could experiment with throttle bodies, but for the price of them, you are just spending way more $$$ than the kw's are worth. And even then, you are mostly just doing it for throttle response, more so than power.

I think we've just come to a limit with the good ole OHC 6Cyl. Cam, exhaust & snorkal & edit. There's not much more you can do in terms of power. If you want more speed, get some lightweight rims, and pick up a fibreglass bonnet, and unbolt anything you don't need. And go for some lappies around the block and lose some weight, lol.

Your setup in a sedan, would be running close to a flat 14, which is the benchmark in reality.

Just my 2c.
Old 09-03-2008, 01:52 PM   #41
The Monty
Just slidin'

Go for it Stav, I think a scoop and intake straight into the throttle body would be and is great.
I was going to go the shaker, regardless of all the whingey cry babies on this forum, but ended up with the intake pipe I have now, so went with that instead.
The gains wont show up on a Dyno, so be prepared for all the idiots on here telling you it wont work, or no proof has been shown on a dyno, screw the dyno.
Rob, the guy with the XR6 with the shaker, swears by it, and it makes 100% sense.
If you drive, and air goes into an intake, it is going to be getting forced in at a greater speed, relative to the speed you are driving.
More air/fuel/spark = more power, you already have the smartest exhaust out there, a three inch, making the exhaust flow as little impeded as possible.
The only probs I can think of, are how to stop the air being forced in when off the throttle, and how to test if the car is leaning out at speed due to the air being forced in, as you wont be able to check it on the dyno, but seing as you tune yoursefl atm that wont matter, you should be able to log it on the laptop, and check it after each adjustment you make.

As for the vagueness of your threads, I love it, Keeps people interested, and keeps people on thier toes so they see what your doing next.
If people dont like that, they dont have to reply to your threads.

Josh
Old 09-03-2008, 02:02 PM   #42
StealthAu
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Monty
Go for it Stav, I think a scoop and intake straight into the throttle body would be and is great.
I was going to go the shaker, regardless of all the whingey cry babies on this forum, but ended up with the intake pipe I have now, so went with that instead.
The gains wont show up on a Dyno, so be prepared for all the idiots on here telling you it wont work, or no proof has been shown on a dyno, screw the dyno.
Rob, the guy with the XR6 with the shaker, swears by it, and it makes 100% sense.
If you drive, and air goes into an intake, it is going to be getting forced in at a greater speed, relative to the speed you are driving.
More air/fuel/spark = more power, you already have the smartest exhaust out there, a three inch, making the exhaust flow as little impeded as possible.
The only probs I can think of, are how to stop the air being forced in when off the throttle, and how to test if the car is leaning out at speed due to the air being forced in, as you wont be able to check it on the dyno, but seing as you tune yoursefl atm that wont matter, you should be able to log it on the laptop, and check it after each adjustment you make.

As for the vagueness of your threads, I love it, Keeps people interested, and keeps people on thier toes so they see what your doing next.

Josh
With scoops, shakers or otherwise it isn't just about fourcing air in, but you are also getting air from the coolest area possible, outside of the engine bay, and with a minimal track to the throttle body you are also limiting issues with heat soak.
StealthAu is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-03-2008, 03:37 PM   #43
Stav
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Monty

Josh
Thank you mate.

Last edited by Stav; 09-03-2008 at 03:43 PM.
Old 10-03-2008, 12:54 AM   #44
Stav
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by trick_xd
Stav
I don't normally post in threads BUT
I like reading your story's they always make me laugh.
But trying to chase cheap power is what every car guy in the world wants to do .
I think you ether have to Harden up and just do stuff... and don't give a crap what people on here say and try things your self if it works great , if not , stuff it and try something else.

P.S. you can get over 20 rwHP from less then 200$ if you can do stuff your self . ( yes I read you do all your own work)
Trick..I know exactly what to do. :

Old 10-03-2008, 08:29 AM   #45
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

Hee hee .. this is funny ... my initial thoughts on this were ... "The silly bugger is going to take to his bonnet with a hole saw and stick his intake out of it" ... I can't believe I was thinking along the same lines ... LOL

I think he got ideas from seeing the thread where JC cut open Zhodak's (??) bonnet and putting the shaker in.
Mechan1k is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-03-2008, 08:46 AM   #46
Sox
RIP...

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: As recommended by Ropcher. Personifies the spirit of AFF. 

Quote:
Even though it is over the exhaust ..on a cool night that pod will give more power than the standard intake or most peoples long steel intake pipes .
I bet you it won't.
Cold air is more important than volume of air.

Rick.
Old 10-03-2008, 08:55 AM   #47
Sox
RIP...

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: As recommended by Ropcher. Personifies the spirit of AFF. 

Quote:
I am trying to build a true cold air intake..not these airboxes or aibox from a fridge.Thinking of a bonnet scoop and freezing air.I know it is worth 5 to 7 % increase in power.
Whilst it is always good to have a large supply of cold air, the current air box set up is pretty good. It only has the problem of a little heat soak on it's way from the snorkel to T/B. The snorkel is however in a good position to grab cold air.

A far better way to test this rather than to rush out with a grinder to the bonnet, is to measure T/B temps and snorkel temps and comapre the two. If their is a significant increase in temp at the T/B (which I doubt their will be) then a bonnet air intake has merit.

Personally I feel a better way is to simply wrap the piping from air box to T/B in some insulation wrap.

Rick.
Old 10-03-2008, 12:33 PM   #48
Mr Hardware
Flairs - Truckers Delight

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: The excellent how to on LPG jet cleaning. 

how about you do it
then come back and complain about why your automatics and brake boosters keep dying
Old 10-03-2008, 12:51 PM   #49
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

brain stormin is good...........i think, what about also looking for a drag day cold air intake by that i maybe have a place in the air box where ice could be stored in the box with the air rushing over it even if it only lasted minutes for the drags would be cool pun intended, or another idea the fridge could be run on an invertor with a little bit of plumbing........
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-03-2008, 12:55 PM   #50
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

sorry Stav not taking the just my weird attempt at humour..... sorry
Old 10-03-2008, 01:32 PM   #51
TOASTED
JMM modded EF

so let me get this right, you want to know if you should put a cai on your car? why didnt you just ask this? why all the hush hush? and another thing quotePotential to screw up a car that obviously is running pretty well at the potential gain of 6%. I suppose that if I stuff it I can return it to unmodified...with alot of elbow grease.unquote potential to screw up the car? how is there any potential to screw up the car? and alot of elbow grease to return it to stock?lol can you not just remove the cai to return it to stock? i cannot blame laminge for his post in fact i think it was entirely necessary. mate if you have a question,ask it!

Guess the alcohol tax is turning people to mind altering drugs.
I drive : A heavily modified EF Fairmont with a JMM dev5 cam, worked head, 3.5" mandrel bent intake, exhaust, and a few other bits n pieces like a stally etc.

"She goes like a zirtek"

WANT A FAST FORD RING THIS BLOKE V V

Abbott Engines for HeadWork
20 years experience
PH Rob on (07) 5526 3883
TOASTED is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-03-2008, 02:16 PM   #52
The Monty
Just slidin'

Id like to see you sew the piece of bonnet he cuts out back on the car. Hes talking about a scoop setup, not just a simple CAI to behind the headlight.

As for heat soak, on a cold day (around 8degrees) I tested my 3 inch s/s set-up. It was around 18 degrees coming out of the airbox and up near thirty at the throttle body. Notice this is not air temp, but the temp of the intake the air was traveling through, so I dont know what bearing this has on it.
Old 10-03-2008, 03:59 PM   #53
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

have a look at this system http://images.google.com.au/imgres?i...3Doff%26sa%3DG
Old 10-03-2008, 04:08 PM   #54
Laminge
Cuban... nothing like it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sox
Whilst it is always good to have a large supply of cold air, the current air box set up is pretty good. It only has the problem of a little heat soak on it's way from the snorkel to T/B. The snorkel is however in a good position to grab cold air.

A far better way to test this rather than to rush out with a grinder to the bonnet, is to measure T/B temps and snorkel temps and comapre the two. If their is a significant increase in temp at the T/B (which I doubt their will be) then a bonnet air intake has merit.

Personally I feel a better way is to simply wrap the piping from air box to T/B in some insulation wrap.

Rick.
I find myself agreeing with Rick all through this post, an unusual sensation to the say the least.

Stav, I decreased the intake air temps of my Territory system by upto 20degree with using a single layer of insulation from my mates at Clark Rubber thanks to the advice of Sourbastard, using double layer at certain points I got it down a further 5 degrees and reduced heat soak by at least 50%.

A couple of pulled down 12v car fridges and using the components around certain areas, with insulation would be an interesting starting point I dare say.

Im using a MSD plug in for my 2004 Territory.
Laminge is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-03-2008, 04:34 PM   #55
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

this huge filter looks pretty direct to the motor and the filter housing is made of composite all it needs is a hole/scoop in the bonnet in the appropriate place.
http://images.google.com.au/imgres?i...3Doff%26sa%3DN
Old 10-03-2008, 05:13 PM   #56
Stav
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sox

Rick.
I don't have an air box at all Rick.My pod is sucking in hot air.This is my problem. On a hot day my intake runs up to 70 degrees celcius.I have a temperature gauge and sensor mounted right in it. At the track..it is sucking in underbonnet air.I still pulled a few 14.3's.This is my problem.If I can draw the same volume but colder air the wagon will go faster. I dont like the standard airbox.I have never been able to achieve great acceleration out of it personally. My hot intake pipe with pod feels alot more responsive than the factory setup even with the old 3 inch stormwater pipe mod that me and Jon Bays did years ago.

Laminge...did you wrap your piping with the rubber mate?

Last edited by Stav; 10-03-2008 at 05:32 PM.
Old 10-03-2008, 05:38 PM   #57
Stav
Smile

In any case thanks for the replies I can sort it..

Old 10-03-2008, 06:36 PM   #58
Sox
RIP...

Quote:
I don't have an air box at all Rick.My pod is sucking in hot air.This is my problem. On a hot day my intake runs up to 70 degrees celcius.I have a temperature gauge and sensor mounted right in it. At the track..it is sucking in underbonnet air.I still pulled a few 14.3's.This is my problem.If I can draw the same volume but colder air the wagon will go faster. I dont like the standard airbox.I have never been able to achieve great acceleration out of it personally. My hot intake pipe with pod feels alot more responsive than the factory setup even with the old 3 inch stormwater pipe mod that me and Jon Bays did years ago.
That's fine if you don't like the standard air box Stav, however reality is that with a few minor tweaks it is more than good enough for a very heavily modified 4L 6-pack and then some.
It is without a doubt that you are losing a lot of power (probably more than 6%) by having your pod in the engine bay without even the standard air box. Use a correctly modified standard type airbox setup and you will have absolutely no need for a bonnet fed intake. Don't forget I had the standard air box on my XH, which has the 400m ET, terminal speed, AND dyno figures to back it up. It ran 14.4 with no traction (crappy 2.3s 60' time), 97mph terminal, and made 175rwkw on 2 seperate dyno days.

Fit the standard airbox with the pod inside it and then we'll talk about some other small mods which can be done to make it flow enough for your wagon.

BTW, I didn't even have a 3" mandrel bent intake pipe from lid to T/B, I had a standard AU plastic elbow and flex piece from the T/B, with a 3" exhaust pipe from their to the air box.

Rick.
Old 10-03-2008, 06:41 PM   #59
Stav
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigosmoddedEF
so let me get this right, you want to know if you should put a cai on your car? why didnt you just ask this? why all the hush hush? and another thing quotePotential to screw up a car that obviously is running pretty well at the potential gain of 6%. I suppose that if I stuff it I can return it to unmodified...with alot of elbow grease.unquote potential to screw up the car? how is there any potential to screw up the car? and alot of elbow grease to return it to stock?lol can you not just remove the cai to return it to stock? i cannot blame laminge for his post in fact i think it was entirely necessary. mate if you have a question,ask it!
It was my decision to not mention the modification but people seem to think it was..which it wasnt. It was a question of going for 6% more power at the risk of going backwards. What is your opinion? That was the question. The actual mod was irrelevant for I was seeking your input to that particular question. I was not trying to tease. The question was asked but it seems that people just didnt read it carefully in context to what it was asking.

If I did not want to disclose the modification then why can't my decision be respected ? I am not trying to be disrespectful. Indeed the opposite.I am opening my thoughts and heart to you and this forum giving you the respect to hear what you have to say . The question was simple. However the interest of the question were not put first but the interest of discovering my mods were.

Old 10-03-2008, 07:37 PM   #60
Stav
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sox
That's fine if you don't like the standard air box Stav, however reality is that with a few minor tweaks it is more than good enough for a very heavily modified 4L 6-pack and then some.
It is without a doubt that you are losing a lot of power (probably more than 6%) by having your pod in the engine bay without even the standard air box. Use a correctly modified standard type airbox setup and you will have absolutely no need for a bonnet fed intake. Don't forget I had the standard air box on my XH, which has the 400m ET, terminal speed, AND dyno figures to back it up. It ran 14.4 with no traction (crappy 2.3s 60' time), 97mph terminal, and made 175rwkw on 2 seperate dyno days.

Fit the standard airbox with the pod inside it and then we'll talk about some other small mods which can be done to make it flow enough for your wagon.

BTW, I didn't even have a 3" mandrel bent intake pipe from lid to T/B, I had a standard AU plastic elbow and flex piece from the T/B, with a 3" exhaust pipe from their to the air box.

Rick.
Your ute was awesome man...