Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 03-04-2007, 09:27 PM   #1
302XLS

Default Some New Mods To Go Into Ute

I took some pictures of some of the mods that are going to be put into the old girl. Here they are:

http://i165.photobucket.com/albums/u63/302XLS/NEWMODS023.jpg[/IMG]

Well, that's it for now. Just have to install it all. :

Last edited by 302XLS; 03-04-2007 at 09:35 PM.
302XLS is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-04-2007, 09:30 PM   #2
AU2PWR
Spin 'em Habib !

Ver Nice !!!

AU2PWR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-04-2007, 09:35 PM   #3
AUIII XR8 MAN
DJR TM#54

Location: on my p.c now with internet! ok i'll still use works internet too.

Have fun & hope you get the results your after.
Old 03-04-2007, 09:40 PM   #4
302XLS

Thanks, guys. I'm looking forward to getting it all in, but want to do it all at once so there's a couple of things that i still need to do firstl. The biggest i'd say is that i Have to make a housing for the pod filter and get some piping made up to fit the 4" racing maf to my twin throttle bodies.

Old 03-04-2007, 10:00 PM   #5
b2tf
not here much anymore

looks good, whats the cam?
Old 03-04-2007, 10:05 PM   #6
302XLS

just a mild one, didn't want to go too aggressive with the cam.1800 RPM to 5800 rpm power range. serial # cc621371

Old 03-04-2007, 10:06 PM   #7
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by b2tf
looks good, whats the cam?
This bit is the cam (I think, lol)

These 2 pics didn't work in the original post, so here they are (amp):
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

FPV 335 build stats: <click here>

Ford Performance Club ACT
JC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-04-2007, 10:08 PM   #8
b2tf
not here much anymore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 302XLS
just a mild one, didn't want to go too aggressive with the cam.1800 RPM to 5800 rpm power range. serial # cc621371
definitely got my attention now, ive got one of those to go into my ute.
Old 03-04-2007, 10:13 PM   #9
302XLS

lol. I've also ordered underdrive pullies from the states, so i have to wait for those to get here. But with the Ups expedite service should get here in about a week. the last order that i made from there took less than 5 days. I was very shocked with how quick the MAF arrived.

Old 03-04-2007, 10:18 PM   #10
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
lol. I've also ordered underdrive pullies from the states, so i have to wait for those to get here. But with the Ups expedite service should get here in about a week. the last order that i made from there took less than 5 days. I was very shocked with how quick the MAF arrived.
Are you aware that the AU already has underdrive pulleys, so you may just be getting the same as what you've got.
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

FPV 335 build stats: <click here>

Ford Performance Club ACT
JC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-04-2007, 10:21 PM   #11
302XLS

yeah, but these are polished aircraft alluminium....(apparantly) and if they don't do any performance upgrade, they bloody look heaps better. So either way, might get a few extra KW and if not will make the engine look just that much better.

Old 03-04-2007, 11:20 PM   #12
302XLS

Quote:
Originally Posted by b2tf
definitely got my attention now, ive got one of those to go into my ute.
Where are you getting it installed, or are you doing it yourself?

Old 03-04-2007, 11:25 PM   #13
b2tf
not here much anymore

Quote:
Where are you getting it installed, or are you doing it yourself?
got a few things to be done before it so i havent looked into it. either a workshop where i am or melbourne.
Old 03-04-2007, 11:26 PM   #14
philstoj
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
yeah, but these are polished aircraft alluminium....(apparantly) and if they don't do any performance upgrade, they bloody look heaps better. So either way, might get a few extra KW and if not will make the engine look just that much better.
The problem is that they wont fit AU/Explorer engines as they dont make any for them.
Years ago, i had the oportunity to get a set of March Underdrive pulleys, they didnt fit at all, totally different, and the AU ones seemed like they were more underdriven than them lol.
Anyways, give it a shot if you like, you will find all the other mods will wake it up and get it going well.
philstoj is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-04-2007, 11:31 PM   #15
302XLS

I got quoted $650.00 to $700.00 to put mine in :yeees:

Old 03-04-2007, 11:36 PM   #16
b2tf
not here much anymore

Quote:
I got quoted $650.00 to $700.00 to put mine in :yeees:
about the same as what i have been, as much as id love to put it in myself i sort of want the car to run afterwards :
Old 03-04-2007, 11:43 PM   #17
302XLS

Quote:
Originally Posted by philstoj
The problem is that they wont fit AU/Explorer engines as they dont make any for them.
Years ago, i had the oportunity to get a set of March Underdrive pulleys, they didnt fit at all, totally different, and the AU ones seemed like they were more underdriven than them lol.
Anyways, give it a shot if you like, you will find all the other mods will wake it up and get it going well.
I thought that it shouldn't make a difference. Being they are made for an EFI 5.0 windsor 302 that they would fit. Isn't the au engine the same as the ford mustang up to 93 model?

Old 03-04-2007, 11:54 PM   #18
philstoj
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
I thought that it shouldn't make a difference. Being they are made for an EFI 5.0 windsor 302 that they would fit. Isn't the au engine the same as the ford mustang up to 93 model?
Nope, Its the same as what the explorer had in the states, upto 98/99 i think.(the smae engine as AU was released in the explorer in 98)

The pulleys that are underdriven are the water pump, alternator and crank/harmonic balance.

Now the crank/harmonic balancer on an AU is a complete unit, so that pulley cannot be removed and swapped for another.

Save your money and use it elsewhere.
philstoj is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-04-2007, 11:58 PM   #19
302XLS

Quote:
Nope, Its the same as what the explorer had in the states, upto 97 i think.
The pulleys that are underdriven are the water pump, alternator and crank/harmonic balance.
Now the crank/harmonic balancer on an AU is a complete unit, so that pulley cannot be removed and swapped for another.

Thanks for the advice. Probably get a no payment tick on ebay now..... lol. oh well.

Old 05-04-2007, 09:45 AM   #20
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

I can't believe you just left them to roll around unsecure in the back of the ute :hihi:

Nice performance goodies indeed
Mechan1k is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-04-2007, 10:41 PM   #21
302XLS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mechan1k
I can't believe you just left them to roll around unsecure in the back of the ute :hihi:

Nice performance goodies indeed
Yeah, and with my smoooooooooth driving, they didn't move an inch....lmao

Thanks mechan1k

Old 05-04-2007, 11:46 PM   #22
Norton
Tuned by HPF

Quote:
Nope, Its the same as what the explorer had in the states, upto 98/99 i think.(the smae engine as AU was released in the explorer in 98)

Be careful of this, I almost bought an underdrive pulley with the extra pulley for my supercharger install until I found out that the AU was the only model to have the pulley/harmonic balancer and crank position magnets all in the one unit.

Basically, the pulley can't be replaced.

www.aufalcon.com/norton :
Norton is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-04-2007, 11:40 PM   #23
302XLS

UPDATE - was very angry today. had the ute booked in to get the cam done since 02/04, they told me to bring the car in real early so that they can get started on it straight away being 7:00 AM so that it would be in the shop for only today. Well much to my dismay at 1:00 pm as i was driving by in the work car, saw that my car was still sitting where i parked it. of course i stopped and questioned them and got the old song and dance as to why they haven't started my car yet and of course i'm without my car. S H I T like this really ****es me off. if they say they're going to start on it and get me out of bed to get the thing there on time, bloody make sure that they finish it when agreed. I think stuff ups like that are completely unacceptable. What are your thoughts, am wrong in my thinking?

Old 13-04-2007, 12:10 AM   #24
KOUPE76
OLD SKOOL BABY

Probably a bit over the top, my saying is that good things take time, I know you were promised it will be done in a day but sometimes things happen in business where other matters take priority. Don't get me wrong I'm not making excuses for the guy but for example I took my car to G&D for some basic service and exhaust mod and was their for 3 days, didn't complain as I knew the job would get done and it did. Patience is a virtue my freind, unless you were without a car then fair enough.
My 2 cents.

Mick

1976 XB GS COUPE (waiting to start the rebuild)
KOUPE76 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-04-2007, 12:18 AM   #25
302XLS

I know what you are saying about being patient, my point is that they could have had the decency to give me a call. being that my car was meant to be the first one to be worked on today, having me organize to have the car there first thing. If there were cars left unfinished from the day before, they should have called to let me know at least to say that they were running late and if I wouldn't mind bringing it in a little later. Communication, which i've found that many car places (mechanics and dealerships) don't inform you that your car is not ready untill you are there to pick it up. If i did this in my business without informing my clients i would soon not have many clients left.

Old 13-04-2007, 08:08 PM   #26
302XLS

Okay, much happier today. Still without my car, but the shop was much better with letting me know what's going on. They found that my timing chain was stretched so ordered a new one. double thickness with new sprockets as well. able to take up to 700 hp from what they tell me, as they see that i'm adding mods and gaining power. they have also found a few other things that they have fixed while they had the engine out doing the cam. on top of that they gave the block a couple of coats of black engine paint at no extra cost while they weren't busy. Since they took the engine out to do the cam, they also installed my short shifter which was in the car waiting to be installed. no cost, just the cost of the bushing. overall, i'm much more happy than last night. Maybe i was a bit quick to judge this shop last night, but after todays performance from them i think i would recomend them very easily to anyone in the geelong area. will let you know at the end when the invoice comes in...... lol.

Old 14-04-2007, 09:33 PM   #27
302XLS

Ok, have the ute back, cam is in with new chain and sprocket as well. billet quick shift is in also. had to remove the new 4"maf and pod filter as was running way too lean, has to go back on when i get the custom tune which is happenning on thursday. it is getting the box for the pod built on monday by the same guys that did the intake piping. So far I'm really happy with how it feels, much better pick up and am hoping for some more major gains once the tune is done and pod is in and insulated.

Old 14-04-2007, 10:57 PM   #28
b2tf
not here much anymore

How's the idle with the cam, is it lumpy or not very noticable?
Old 15-04-2007, 12:38 AM   #29
302XLS

it's a bit lumpy, but needs the tune badly. stalls every now and then and hunts up and down. it runs great right up to 5800 rpm and shifts in between are great with the new billet quick shift kit. from 1st to second is great as when you go into second you're already at about 4000 rpm. couldn't do much more than 1st to 2nd shift as i'd be going over the speed limit, but can imagine what the rest of the gears would be like. I think i need to change my diff gears, maybe get som 3.73's, and do a bit more to the bottom end. all up though without the tune and pod filter yet it's a great feeling

Old 15-04-2007, 12:51 AM   #30
b2tf
not here much anymore

excellent.mines tuned already and will be redone when the cam goes in, but i want it lumpy as possible!