Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 03-06-2014, 04:41 PM   #151
XB GS 351 Coupe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Idling a car?? Whats everyones methods??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Damo View Post
….. so I just start it up, chuck heater on max, head lights on and walk inside and watch more today show.

Come out, wind screen is defrosted, car is warm inside good to go.
How do you stop the car getting stolen?? Do you know it is against the law to leave the car unattended and unsecured, even worse with the engine running??

Our neighbour a few houses up the road used to do this in his XD V8 Falcon, till one morning he (and us) heard it redlinging out of the driveway, wipe out my mothers and brothers car parked on the street and proceed to wrap it around a power pole 200 meters down the road

All three cars were write off's including my brother's XB Falcon we had just spend a lot of time and money on, and insurance covered none of it as the person attempting to steal the car was never caught, he did the bolt after crashing the car, and the owner of the XD was inside having a coffee while his car was warming up.

The Week End Bruiser : FPV BF GT 40th Anniversary, 6 Speed Manual, 6/4 Brembo and lots of Herrod goodies

Project 1 : '75 XB GS 351 Ute, Toploader, 9" with 3.5's

Project 2 : '74 XB GS Big Block Coupe, Toploader, 9" with 4.11's

In Storage : '74 XB GS 351 Fairmont Sedan

XB Falcon Owners Group

Mike's Man Cave

XB GS 351 Coupe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-06-2014, 05:45 PM   #152
DBourne
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The XR5 idles a little higher than normal when cold for a minute or 2, so i let it do that, then a min or 2 more if it is really cold.

Then just drive sedately until oil temp comes good.
Old 03-06-2014, 10:24 PM   #153
AAXR8

Sorry Johnydep I was trying to use your quote about the Castrol oil but It didn't work properly & go blue when I just re read it!!

So the question is about the Castro oil you used! When did it happen?
Cheers
, SCT FLASH TUNED, COLD AIR INTAKE WITH K&N HI FLOW POD FILTER , 4:11 DIFF, HERROD THROTTLE BODY. PEDDERS XTREME-XA COILOVERS
!!
247 RWKW

03 BA XR8 UTE WHITE IN COLOR!

AAXR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-06-2014, 11:28 PM   #154
johnydep
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech article(s) 

Quote:
Originally Posted by AAXR8 View Post
Sorry Johnydep I was trying to use your quote about the Castrol oil but It didn't work properly & go blue when I just re read it!!

So the question is about the Castro oil you used! When did it happen?
Cheers
Long time ago, think it would have been Castrol's first generation of synthetics in the 90's.

Castrol oil is no problems these days. I just wouldn't go out & buy it for my car.

I prefer Pennzoil, FUCHS, Mobil & Valvoline.
especially concerning their love of the motor vehicle.

http://www.fireservicecollege.ac.uk
johnydep is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-06-2014, 04:36 AM   #155
AAXR8

Question Re: Idling a car?? Whats everyones methods??

Thanks for that! Whats better FUCHS or PENRITE?? Do you ever notice the different in oils with the car? Like smoother running, better fuel economy etc. I know the higher the viscosity the worst it can be on fuel for an engine that dosn't need that kind of oil !
, SCT FLASH TUNED, COLD AIR INTAKE WITH K&N HI FLOW POD FILTER , 4:11 DIFF, HERROD THROTTLE BODY. PEDDERS XTREME-XA COILOVERS
!!
247 RWKW

03 BA XR8 UTE WHITE IN COLOR!

AAXR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-06-2014, 11:37 AM   #156
MercurySilver
Isn't it obvious?
Donating Member1

So what we are saying is if I walk out and start the car and leave if running while I duck around the back for a CIG and to finish my cupa tea a copper is going to come down my 30 meter driveway and fine me?

Yeah...I don't think so.
Not everyone lives in a block of units and not everyone is stupid enough to leave the car running out of site for 10 mins.

I always warm the car up.
Xh or g6 it doesn't matter.......don't care what oil u use and how new the car is, if you don't warm it up its gotta be not as good for it as warming it up.
MercurySilver is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 04-06-2014, 10:22 PM   #157
johnydep
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech article(s) 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MercurySilver View Post
So what we are saying is if I walk out and start the car and leave if running while I duck around the back for a CIG and to finish my cupa tea a copper is going to come down my 30 meter driveway and fine me?

Yeah...I don't think so.
Not everyone lives in a block of units and not everyone is stupid enough to leave the car running out of site for 10 mins.

I always warm the car up.
Xh or g6 it doesn't matter.......don't care what oil u use and how new the car is, if you don't warm it up its gotta be not as good for it as warming it up.
And daylight savings sucks, causes the interior to fade faster
especially concerning their love of the motor vehicle.

http://www.fireservicecollege.ac.uk

Last edited by johnydep; 04-06-2014 at 10:30 PM.
johnydep is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post