Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 01-10-2008, 10:01 PM   #1
mattp
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default AU2/3 Tickford wheels / centre cap diameter

Hi all, I'm after an answer that I can't seem to find on the forums. I just need to know the diameter of the Tickford centre caps on series 2/3 XR models. The fat 5-spokers. I'm wanting to remove my FPV centre caps and put alloy Ford or Tickford ones in, but need to check they fit before I spend the cash. FPV ones are ~70mm, so here's hoping they're the same.
superroo saying he swapped centre caps with mechan1k leads me to believe they will fit, but just want to check...

Thanks!
matt.

mattp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-10-2008, 10:04 PM   #2
DOC
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

There are 2 sizes from memory, but might be wrong.
DOC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-10-2008, 10:27 PM   #3
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

The inner clip part is 60mm (so probably 60.1, IIRC) and the outer face part is 70mm.
Mods: Tune, ShockWorks and GT335 replicas in 19 x 8.5 & 9.5 35p offset with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, FG 19” Lux packs with 245/35/19 Toyo and Pirelli tyres, Bilsteins & Kings

FPV 335 build stats: <click here>

Ford Performance Club ACT
JC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-10-2008, 11:36 PM   #4
superroo
You can't stop the signal

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Has done quite a few excellent write ups for au .com 

This is what me and simon figured out before swapping caps

My ones to fit FPV wheels -
Thickness : 3.50mm
Diameter : 69mm
Prong diamter : 60 mm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mechan1k
What is the prong diameter ... is that like an internal diameter of the mount behind the cap?????
Quote:
Originally Posted by superroo
Once you see a cap you'll figure it out. But to hold the cap in place there are a prongs/clips coming off the back of the cap. It's the outside diamter of them.

Simon's tickford ones (out of his au2 fat 5 spoke rim) -
Face Thickness: 3mm
Cap total depth: 16mm
Face Diameter: 69mm (might be 69.5mm)
Rear ring diameter: 59mm
Split ring width: 65mm

And the results -

As you can see in the pic, the tickford one are slightly thinner, but you can't really notice it. It is after all only .5mm of a difference.

Cheers

Last edited by superroo; 01-10-2008 at 11:48 PM.
superroo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-10-2008, 12:46 AM   #5
mattp
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Thanks a lot, that's great! I didn't realise that any of the Tickford ones were solid alloy? Is picture 4 the rear of a Tickford one? That's what my FPV ones look like, I always thought the Tickford ones were more like pics 1 and 2, with just plastic prongs on the back, and just an alloy sort of disc for the face.
Old 02-10-2008, 08:42 AM   #6
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

Pictre 4 is the rear of the Tickford cap (and they have a bit of weight to them as well being a solid alloy) ... the later caps from the FPVs are plastic.

The FPV ones are a fraction loose in the AU XR rims though ... bu they sit pretty well and I haven't lost one yet ... they clipped in solidly though ... there were slight differences ... but nothing really major

Ben ... the caps look the goods on the Phoon rims.
Mechan1k is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-10-2008, 10:55 AM   #7
superroo

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Has done quite a few excellent write ups for au .com 

Matt from memory there are 4 different types of tickford caps.

There is one with is completly plastic, to suit the s1 16inch 'sawblade' rims

There is the fully metal version as seen above in pic 3/4

There is then the version you remember. A plastic cap with a metal cover over the top. Like the ones in first and second pic, but with a tickford badge.

Then there is the fourth type, which is kinda like the reverse of pics 3/4. It is put into the rim from behind and has the flange/flare at the back. These were on t-series rims only. Can't remember which ones though.

Cheers
Old 02-10-2008, 01:47 PM   #8
mattp
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Mechan1k, when you say the later FPV ones are plastic, which ones are you referring to? I've seen 'replica' plastic FPV ones, but to my knowledge all FPV ones are solid alloy. At least the ones in my BA GT-P wheels were, and now the ones in my Cobra rims are the same.

Thanks again for the info!
Old 02-10-2008, 11:09 PM   #9
mattp
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

OK, I waited too long on the ones I was going to buy and they're sold, so if anyone would be willing to swap my almost new genuine FPV ones (the solid alloy ones) for their solid alloy Tickford ones (must be excellent condition), drop me a PM.
Old 04-01-2009, 07:08 PM   #10
mattp
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Just for the sake of completeness of this thread for future searches, I took the centre caps out of my series 1 Tickford 17" wheels today and tried them in my 19" FPV wheels, and it's a no-go. The difference is less than 1mm in diameter (Tickford larger than FPV), but I was unwilling to force them in and mark the rims. They look to be the same size when you eyeball them against each other, it's just when you actually put them in, and putting the FPV centre cap in the Tickford rim shows they are a little smaller in diameter. I know superoo put Series 2 Tickford centre caps in his FPV wheels, so whether they are slightly different to the series 1 or not I couldn't say. Cheers, Matt.
Old 05-01-2009, 01:07 PM   #11
superroo

Interesting.
Mine were certainly a tight fit, but that was only because of the split ring in the hub of the wheel. The faces of both caps are the same.

Cheers
Old 05-01-2009, 02:59 PM   #12
Whoosha
AU DIE HARD
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For all the things you do behind the scenes. Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattp
OK, I waited too long on the ones I was going to buy and they're sold, so if anyone would be willing to swap my almost new genuine FPV ones (the solid alloy ones) for their solid alloy Tickford ones (must be excellent condition), drop me a PM.
Just curious how much were they on E BAY ??

........Age and treachery will ALWAYS overcome youth and skill.......

CORTINA 250 2V POWER soon to be AUXR8 Windsor pwrd

.............WINDSOR WARLORD WHO CARRIES THE CLEVO MAFIA AND BROKEN BOSSES...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riksta
Quote of the weekend: "The quarter mile wasn't as long as I expected it to be".
Whoosha is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-01-2009, 09:17 PM   #13
mattp
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whoosha
Just curious how much were they on E BAY ??
From memory they went for ~$140, it was a while ago now though.
Old 05-01-2009, 10:56 PM   #14
Whoosha
AU DIE HARD
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For all the things you do behind the scenes. Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattp
From memory they went for ~$140, it was a while ago now though.
Gees good money maker, I just got quoted $85 Trade from Ford spares and $19 for the gard wings. might have to stock pile a few :togo:
Whoosha is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-06-2010, 01:00 PM   #15
superroo

Just digging up this thread to add some interesting info.

I've recently pick up a set of genuine mach 1 typhoon rims (same as above but genuine, all rear offsets) that came with a set of genuine caps.

I don't have the measurements with me (will get them), but they are the same size as the "replica" center caps by memory.

I am yet to try the tickford centers in the genuine rims or the genuine caps in the replica rims yet.

Cheers
Old 04-06-2010, 02:39 PM   #16
grandpa_spec_F6
AFF Whore

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

I know the series 1 and series 2 are different sizes as my centre cap doesn't fit mr hardware's spare im currently running
My GMC Sierra is banned under Victoria's high powered vehicle laws, and its a 4082kg apartment complex on wheels.
Current Ride: Not a falcon, the struggle is real
grandpa_spec_F6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-06-2010, 04:52 PM   #17
Mr Hardware
Flairs - Truckers Delight

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: The excellent how to on LPG jet cleaning. 

yeah, when am i getting my spare back you turkey
Old 04-06-2010, 05:07 PM   #18
grandpa_spec_F6
AFF Whore

Just got new treads this afternoon, pop round after work, I want my center cap back!
My GMC Sierra is banned under Victoria's high powered vehicle laws, and its a 4082kg apartment complex on wheels.
Current Ride: Not a falcon, the struggle is real
grandpa_spec_F6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-06-2010, 11:05 AM   #19
superroo

Genuine FPV mach 1 caps

Face Thickness: 3mm
Cap total depth: 16mm
Face Diameter: 69mm
Rear ring diameter: 59.5mm
Split ring width: 67mm

Cheers
Old 20-03-2011, 06:07 PM   #20
dutchy805
Dutchy805

Default Re: AU2/3 Tickford wheels / centre cap diameter

Matt, My 2000 AU F'mont Ghia has Tickford XR8 wheels with centre cap dia. of 70mm. One of mine has been stolen. If you - or anyone - find a supplier I would appreciate the info. I have located some on line at $100+ ea. Thanks, Ray.
Old 13-07-2011, 06:53 AM   #21
hadyh
HADYH

hello all

i have a qst will the chrome tickford center cap as abv fit the tl50 rim as i have the plastic one in there
hadyh is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-07-2011, 09:06 AM   #22
Reaper8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

anyone wating the fpv ones there are 4 sets on there $85 set +$15 freight. supposed to be original and all alloy
Reaper8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post