Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 19-03-2008, 06:11 PM   #1
sbv16

Default AU III Wont Start

Hey

My old man has got an AU III factory gas sedan which wont start. Initially he got in it and turned the key to start it and it just clicked (Starter motor). He then put a battery jump starter power pack on and tried turning the key again, all the lights on the dash lit up but when he turned the key he got absolutely nothing. So he put the jumper leads on it and hooked it up to my car and the same result occured.

The mechanic has checked the starter motor, batter, neutral ignition saftey switch, smartlock, relays etc and cannot find the fault. It has been since towed to an auto sparkie. He asked for both keys to the car I would assume for the ecu. However this has not solved the problem. I would assume he has pulled the codes from the ecu.....

Anyone know a possible solution to this?

Any help would be much appreciated!

Last edited by sbv16; 19-03-2008 at 06:23 PM.
sbv16 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-03-2008, 07:13 PM   #2
Fairlane
V8 Powaah

It sounds like the battery- especially that bit with the starter just clicking. E-gas can take some cranking to start and be especially a if they've been stuffed around with or havent been started for a while. Your Battery booster doesnt seem to be working.

Do a test and swap the battery from your car and put it in it and fire away (some days you cant trust mechanics as far as you can throw them)

Dodgy ECU shouldn't stop engine cranking just the ignition, other than that maybe some electrical fault to the starter, but your mechanic says he checked relays and neutral safery switch and all that.

*Im just getting a vibe that the most obvious solution is the answer here.

XF S pack Sedan- AU 302 Windsor, T5, 2.77 LSD, Many Mods

Last edited by Fairlane; 19-03-2008 at 07:21 PM.
Fairlane is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-03-2008, 07:37 PM   #3
Mr Hardware
Flairs - Truckers Delight

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: The excellent how to on LPG jet cleaning. 

i have seen this before and even with a jump pack if the battery is no good it won't start.

also, perhaps the accellerator depressing detector is contstantly activated?

im guessing its egas not factory tickford dual fuel
Old 19-03-2008, 07:47 PM   #4
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

Sounds like it's a battery issue as well ... but when trying to start it with the power pack it has caused another issue.

It could be a fact the it might not be in Park fully ... you can try Neutral though.
If it is not that ... it might be the BEM leaving Smartshield enable ... but then it should still try and crank if that was the case.

It might be what Mr hardware said ... when the acellerator is depressed (even slightly) the lock "clangs" in and prohibited any sort of cranking altogether.

Another question .... does the interior light work.
Is the fuse blown for the CRT LAMP ... that looks after the BEM and Smartshield.
Just a thought.
Mechan1k is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-03-2008, 08:16 PM   #5
ford-88
ford-88

i had a similar problem on my ute. found out the coil pack was buggered it still clicked but nothing else. also if smartsheild leave the key in the on position for an hour it should over ride it, if it works the lock will go up and down hope this helps
ford-88 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-03-2008, 08:34 PM   #6
Fairlane
V8 Powaah

Just got back and i had a brain storm, but Mr Hardware picked it up.

It be just that the throttle or at least its sensor is detecting some throttle being applied, which in the ECU stops it from cranking.

XF S pack Sedan- AU 302 Windsor, T5, 2.77 LSD, Many Mods
Fairlane is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-03-2008, 01:23 AM   #7
sbv16

Cheers for the replies thus far guys

Its the egas model....

Also the battery has been replaced.

They have tried replacing the smartlock system which did not work. Basically I am stumped. The only thing I can think of is what you guys said - the throttle sensor stopping ignition.

The interior light does work and there are no blown fuses. You would think the auto sparkie would be able to pull the codes from the ecu which would outline the problem?

I have told my old man bout the throttle sensor idea and he should pass this on. Hopefully that is the prob
sbv16 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-07-2011, 09:11 AM   #8
rodsau1
Starter Motor

Question Re: AU III Wont Start

i,ve just had a similar problem with our 99 au ,to cut a long story short its the ignition switch or starter switch (not the key barrell itself )but a faulty switch that the key activates to start the car .i took the covers from the steering column and held the key in the start posiition and wriggled the harness that connecks to the switch , and presto it started .what my problem is when i replace the switch and fit my key barrel to it (because they are sold separately )will the car start ,do i need to reset or reprogram it for it to start ?
rodsau1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-07-2011, 08:56 PM   #9
badkiwi
Starter Motor

Default Re: AU III Wont Start

i had prob with my au 11 checked batt,statrer,nuteral switch, was bem in in the end sechand $100 an reprogramme keys done by mechanic
badkiwi is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-07-2011, 09:48 PM   #10
rodsau1
Starter Motor

Default Re: AU III Wont Start

i still beleive the key switch is fault.y the rear of it was loose and cracked .i will fit my matching key barrel to the 2nd hand switch /barrel and see how i go ....i may have to reset the ecm .. which i,m not sure how to do (9may need some help if anyone knows )if the car can identify the original key it may be ok
Old 20-07-2011, 09:23 PM   #11
rodsau1
Starter Motor

Wink Re: AU III Wont Start

the ignition switch was the problem it was just that i had to reset things to get the car to start .i fitted a 95 ignition to my 99 au (janurary 99 which is smartlock )which is identical . the car done everything ,dash lights etc , except crank and start.i switched key barrells but still no luck ,i read a thread saying to reset things by leaving the ignition on for 61 minutes,turn key off , then start car ,and it did ,so pleased i was all done ,hope this helps ........