Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 28-10-2007, 05:07 PM   #61
dom_105
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8
It was painted blue by Ford after the R&D had been done on it and had the decals added to be shown as the EA GT351 concept at one of the motorshows. It was then sent to be crushed after they had finished with it. Some of the PD guys didn't want it to be crushed so they hid it somewhere inside the proving ground where it was dicovered about 10 years later. It was then sent to the Gordon to be restored. I remember seeing it inside the spray booth when I was attending the Gordon in 99, and I thought thats a pretty good looking EA, I wonder who's it is. A little bit later it was revealed as the EA GT351 protype which was a bit of a spinout. It was still red in the engine bay when I saw it being restored.
Engine bay is still red, as of 2005

Must make the trek down to the Discovery Centre.
dom_105 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-10-2007, 05:10 PM   #62
nugget378
Weezland

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to impart knowledge in the technical areas. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnz
a 428 HO verses a 308 LC torrie
well in cercuit racing you must turn left eventualy,
so when you open the drivers door and stick your foot out
it depends on how much tread you dunlop volley's have.
Have you ever driven a 308 equipped LC or LJ?
A good friend of mine has one,and turning of any sort is certainly not its strong suit,in fact they are generally thought of as a drag only car,they handle that bad..
Dont assume that it would handle any better than a BB equpped falcon,one of which I have also driven...
nugget378 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-10-2007, 05:18 PM   #63
burnz
VFII SS UTE

Quote:
Originally Posted by nugget378
Have you ever driven a 308 equipped LC or LJ?
A good friend of mine has one,and turning of any sort is certainly not its strong suit,in fact they are generally thought of as a drag only car,they handle that bad..
Dont assume that it would handle any better than a BB equpped falcon,one of which I have also driven...
100% agree please reread my first post.
handeling isnt the main problem (manhandle)
the brakes is what i'm refering to. on both car's
burnz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-10-2007, 06:32 PM   #64
sleekism
1999 Ford Fairmont Ghia

I don't doubt that the big block could be a weapon but remember that all the circuit V8's were small blocks.

Remember Ford built two BOSS Mustangs in 1969.

The BOSS 302 small block for trans-am
The BOSS 429 for NASCAR

The big blocks lived in NASCAR where handling wasn't hugely important.

If you were campaigning a big block better hope it's a monster on the straights.

What would have been the biggest weapon would have been a Valiant Charger with a 426 Hemi or 440BB. But seeing as the Dodge Challenger hemi had 70/30 front/rear distribution handling again would have been an issue.
sleekism is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-10-2007, 06:39 PM   #65
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by xe351
i wonder what car tom gormon drives? he should look at this
He drove an e-gas wagon early last year (to try and get some of the other employees to take one as a company car). But like the other executives (high up) it'll be an FPV as they don't pay for fuel.
vztrt is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-10-2007, 07:08 PM   #66
BAxtER
ive been 4490'd

can someone clarify for me as i have no idea but would like to know. Does ford keep the number 1 build cars of the models (40th anniversary GT, Cobra 302) or do they sell em off like any other car, or does a lucky executive keep it. Also same question for build number 302 in the cobra and 40 in the 40th anniversary GT.
Cheers
www.taipanmotorsport.com.au
BAxtER is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-10-2007, 09:33 PM   #67
fpvgtp

Info gained while talking to FPV rep at Sydney motor show Cobra 1 is going to best metro dealer and Cobra 302 is going to best regional dealer. Who decides and when this happens i do not know.
fpvgtp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-11-2007, 09:18 PM   #68
Charliewool
Bolt Nerd
Donating Member3

Just cleaning my garage up and came across "Essential Falcon GT calendar 2004"

January's feature is titled "R Code original" (NSW rego THE428)

"Scott Hill said he was in the right place at the right time when he heard this GT had been traded to a Mercedes dealer in Sydney. Scott snapped up the car, knowing it was once the personal transport of Bill Bourke. Bourke had the car built up in Broadmeadows factory and is, according to Scott, the only factory built and tagged R coded four door car in the world.
The genisis of this car was actually the Super-Roo show car displayed at the 1969 Melb Motor Show.
That was a two door XT Falcon coupe, with R code option fitted... a 428 Cobra Jet engine with Ram-Air.
After the motor show that car was stripped at the factory and the engine and the Mustang Mach 1 seats were put into this XW shell, as well as a sunroof, air conditioning, power steering and a 31 spline 9" diff.
Other unique features include the XY bonnet locks, rally style map light and the black paint with gold meatallic stripes.
It also originally had Torque Thrust American Racing alloy wheels, which Scott still has, but now rides on Ford Torino 5 slot wheels from the States.

I know it IS ONLY a calendar!... But wonder how close to the fact??

Other featured cars are a few XY's, XWs, a Springtime Yellow XTGT, a Skyview blue RPO83 XA, Dunlop's wild Violet ute, panelvan, and sedan, and the Firth/Gibson Ivy Green XRGT which won Bathurst after a lap counting error in which the Geoghegan Bros White XRGT actually received the chequered flag.
2 wheels.. 2015 103ci HD Wideglide.. SOLD
SOLD THE LOT, Voted with our feet and relocated to COSTA RICA for some Pura Vida!
(Ex Blood Orange #023 FPV Pursuit owner : )
Charliewool is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-11-2007, 01:48 PM   #69
XTGT Code Z
Rossi's view of Stoner!

Location: In the shed. XTGT on 1 side, 66 Mustang on the other...

bill bourke's 428 xw was built in the states, as said earlier by 4vman, and the story in amc #14 is the truth.
it was a present from the head of fomoco in the us, after he visited australia in the late 60's, and had many new style bits and pieces that took a few more years before they were available on local falcons. obviously the 428 was never one of them.

tom gorman does drive a bfII gtp at the moment.
he did have an e-gas wagon for a very short time before that, but it was only a fill-in until his gtp was ready.
he had a typhoon before that, usually has an fpv product these days, and he gets a new one every 6 months or so.
this comes from a source thats in the right place at ford hq in broadmeadows.
Casey Stoner #27. :
Valentino Rossi's worst nightmare... :
... and now 2007 WORLD CHAMPION!
XTGT Code Z is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-03-2008, 01:50 AM   #70
442w30

Quote:
Originally Posted by charliewool
the only factory built and tagged R coded four door car in the world.
Greetings from the States!

I would be willing to bet that it's not the only 4-door CJ in the world.
  Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-03-2008, 08:24 AM   #71
BadMac
I still have both eyes

Funny that this thread comes back up today. The car is for sale.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...link:middle:us

How much will it go for?
BadMac is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-03-2008, 08:56 AM   #72
sleekism
1999 Ford Fairmont Ghia

Quote:
Originally Posted by |||
thats a shame it never got the go ahead. a 428 powered phase 4 would have thrashed the xu2s
From what I remember reading Ford was trialling XA Falcons with FE family big blocks and the result was they understeered like pigs especially in the wet where you would turn the steering wheel and the car would keep going straight.

Big-blocks have never been good track cars wunless of course you call NASCAR circuit race.

Even Chrysler which had the mighty 426 Hemi used the LA family 340ci small block for circuit racing (Trans am) and from what I have heard the Chrysler 340ci was quite a weapon.
sleekism is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-03-2008, 09:16 AM   #73
klawsterfobik
Bad Music and Litre Bikes

Holy Moly.... that would be one hell of a car to own.

I don't know if it will sell for 300k plus though, my thoughts are around the $250k mark.

Would save me the hassel of putting a big block in the XY! I do hope that it stays in Australia though
Anyway. Enough reality, back to the topic.
klawsterfobik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-03-2008, 09:57 AM   #74
Rob
Living the dream

Quote:
Originally Posted by klawsterfobik
Holy Moly.... that would be one hell of a car to own.

I don't know if it will sell for 300k plus though, my thoughts are around the $250k mark.

Would save me the hassel of putting a big block in the XY! I do hope that it stays in Australia though
It would be such a shame if it ended up in the US :(
Rob is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-03-2008, 10:22 AM   #75
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I really don't understand why its been advertised this way, the car has no relevance to the Americans, despite all the claims its not a factory R code vehicle, it left ford's line as a T code 351W, the plate says T code, Fords records list it as engine code T.
Ford US also fitted 428's to other 4 door special vehicles, so its not the only 428 powered 4 door in the world either...
The 428 was fitted in the states as a project/present for Bill Bourke. The car has sentimental significance to Australian GT enthusiasts, and is an important part of our GT history, but as a 4 door Aussie sedan i can't see it attracting more interest in the US than here.

Old 13-03-2008, 10:35 AM   #76
Charliewool
Bolt Nerd
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleekism
From what I remember reading Ford was trialling XA Falcons with FE family big blocks and the result was they understeered like pigs especially in the wet where you would turn the steering wheel and the car would keep going straight.

Big-blocks have never been good track cars wunless of course you call NASCAR circuit race.

Even Chrysler which had the mighty 426 Hemi used the LA family 340ci small block for circuit racing (Trans am) and from what I have heard the Chrysler 340ci was quite a weapon.
Apart from maybe a tunnel-port 427, I wouldn't entertain a FE block in any Aust bodied car. Just a glorified 1959 (332) boat-anchor.
I would also suggest a 351 (HO) Cleveland would have more factory ponies than a 428CJ, or even a 428SCJ?
(Flame away)
2 wheels.. 2015 103ci HD Wideglide.. SOLD
SOLD THE LOT, Voted with our feet and relocated to COSTA RICA for some Pura Vida!
(Ex Blood Orange #023 FPV Pursuit owner : )
Charliewool is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-03-2008, 11:25 AM   #77
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by charliewool
Apart from maybe a tunnel-port 427, I wouldn't entertain a FE block in any Aust bodied car. Just a glorified 1959 (332) boat-anchor.
I would also suggest a 351 (HO) Cleveland would have more factory ponies than a 428CJ, or even a 428SCJ?
(Flame away)
This is exactly why big blocks didnt find their way into our HO's and GT's, because the balance of the car was upset to the point where lap times were slower despite the extra torque.
Having driven a HO and 428 GT500 mustang back to back the HO's 351 had better throttle response than the 428, and it liked to rev more too, the only advantage the 428 had was torque and the ability to use a higher gear, but on a track the HO would have eaten it alive.
For the same reason Moffats Boss 302 mustang lapped quicker with the Boss 302 engine than it did with the 351 Cleveland, despite being 50HP down compared to the clevo.

Last edited by 4Vman; 13-03-2008 at 11:32 AM.
4Vman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-03-2008, 11:28 AM   #78
freaky

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadMac
Funny that this thread comes back up today. The car is for sale.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...link:middle:us

How much will it go for?
Interesting. In the article posted above he states

"I'll keep it, my son will have it. I'll never sell it, never in a million years."
freaky is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-03-2008, 11:38 AM   #79
F6 R-Spec
formerly PURSUIT-250

Quote:
Originally Posted by freaky
Interesting. In the article posted above he states

"I'll keep it, my son will have it. I'll never sell it, never in a million years."

I remember that statement he made, what a tossa. :togo:
He picked it up for a bargan as well.
F6 R-Spec is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-03-2008, 01:41 PM   #80
ltd
Force Fed Fords

See, I told everyone the interest rates where going to hurt.

Seriously though, that's pretty cheap for a one off GT.
Maybe it's a scam?
Oh, and as for the guy who attacked 4V a couple of pages back; mate, you are outclassed and I'd quit before looking really foolish.

Quote: