Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Mondeo

Old 14-06-2011, 11:54 PM   #1
apstar
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Driving In Rain

Can someone recommend a good water repelling agent for the windscreen! on the weekend I was at Darling Harbor and I was looking for a car spot on the wharf well all hell broke loose when I tried to turn the car around on the slippery wooden planks the car gave out an almighty groan when I turned the wheel to turn right it kept going forward nearly wetting my pants!! I lost all traction on all four wheels and I could hear a hydraulic sound with my brake lights flashing on/off totally blinded by the rain I assume my stability/traction control was called to turn on but got confused my misses was sure I was crossing pebbles

apstar is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-06-2011, 12:01 AM   #2
In Focus
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Driving In Rain

Rain-X. Makes the water bead and flow off like it does on waxed paintwork. Used on the inside it even stops condensation forming - I can see it only around the edges where I obviously missed rubbing the stuff on.

Hers: 2020 Ford Puma JK: 1.0 Ecoboost 3-cylinder, 7-speed DCT in Frozen White.
In Focus is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-06-2011, 02:08 PM   #3
Mackspower

In Focus . . . love your tag line. I can say without a doubt, the Holden Cruze is the worst new car I have ever driven.
Mackspower is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-06-2011, 02:49 PM   #4
Fast Eddie
Motorsport Guru

Second for Rain-X. Used it on my Mk1 Focus for years and at Freeway speeds don't even need to use full wipers.

Exterior Enhancements: ST170 Wheels, Richbrook Shorty Aerial, Euro-Spec Hatch Handle.

Performance Enhancements: Ate Callipers/EBC Rotors/EBC Greens Stuff Pads, ST170 Suspension, Herrod's Custom Tune, Ford Racing Coated Exhaust Manifold & Bespoke 2.25in Exhaust.

Awards: AFD '07 EFOC Best Focus, SFS '09 EFOC Best Focus, SFS '10 RSOC O/all Best Focus, AFD '10 CFC O/all Best Focus.
Fast Eddie is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-06-2011, 04:56 PM   #5
The G6ET Spot
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I have used Rain X on both trucks and cars that I drive for over 20 years.

wouldn't be without it. Applied rightly there is no need for windscreen wiper even at 50kph water just beads off.

For the inside of the windscreen they have anti fog, do not use the exterior rain X on the inside. makes an awful mess of the dashboard if it gets on there.
The G6ET Spot is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-06-2011, 06:01 PM   #6
apstar
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Thanks guys will give it a try!
apstar is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-06-2011, 06:56 PM   #7
Mickmelb

I've used rainx before on my helmet, now I just don't ride in the rain. Some people swear by another product called Aquapel which lasts a lot longer so works out cheaper. I think you can find it on eBay.

http://www.sports.autoblog.com/2006/...udge-match%20/
Mickmelb is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-06-2011, 07:42 PM   #8
fasty73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Rain-x is best, as stated above. I love it.
fasty73 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-06-2011, 08:25 PM   #9
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

Prior to applying rain-x though ... when washing the windscreen ... use a claybar over it first to get rid of excess fall-out that washing didn't get rid of.
Mechan1k is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-06-2011, 08:36 PM   #10
fasty73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

You can get rain-x that goes in the washer bottle, works great.