Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 05-05-2010, 10:17 PM   #1
ebxr8240
Performance moderator

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical advice. 
Default Good Landcruiser / Nissan Patrol diesel ??

Looking to buy a either in turbo diesel ..
Is there any bad models and what to look for..
I'm fairly tech minded and obviously latter model diesels, common rail etc
is far better..Looking into buying one in the next few years and join the grey army around Aussie..Will be towing a van...

Dart 330ci block turbo black pearl EBXR8 482 rwkw..
Daily driver GTE FG..
Projects http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=107711
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...8+turbo&page=4
ebxr8240 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-05-2010, 09:07 AM   #2
Kryton

DONT buy a GU 3.0l Turbo Diesel if built from around 2000-2003.
They have a very common tendancy to let go at any age, any time, any use for any reason.
Fully serviced and never worked hard to had a crap life, theres no telling.
No warning signs either.
the average cost to rebuild is currently around the $18000 mark, yes $18000 for another engine.
You can search the net yourself and also see for yourself that it is a common problem and it is likely to happen.
Other than taht, any other Patrol or Landy would be fine.
Expect to pay good money for a TD, even if it does have 300000 or 400000km on it - that would be around 8-10k for a Patrol.
Kryton is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-05-2010, 09:47 AM   #3
ZA-289
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Try 10k for a rebuilt ZD30. But I still wouldn't buy one.

I'd Buy a 100 Series Landcruiser 4.2TD or a GU Patrol 4.2TD

Steer clear of the 2.8TD GU Patrol also.

late model TD Pajeros and Prado's are also quite good.
ZA-289 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-05-2010, 11:05 AM   #4
StrokedXT
Banned

Is it just to tow the van or offroad adventures as well.

If its just to tow an ifs equipped 100 will do a good job, If it is going off road find a gu with the 4.2 turbo 6.
StrokedXT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-05-2010, 11:54 AM   #5
Paxton
Cobblers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZA-289
Steer clear of the 2.8TD GU Patrol also.
Why is that? I put 150,000 KMs on one, and a mate's has just crossed the 400,000 mark. Mine was completely trouble free. If I could get the same fuel economy out of a Falcon that I could with that patrol, I'd be laughing.
Roses are red. Violets are blue. OS X rocks. Homage to you.
Paxton is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-05-2010, 01:15 PM   #6
Riksta
Captain Malcolm Reynolds

Yeah I have a mate with a 2.8 TD (GQ) Patrol that's fine with a bunch of k's, but he always advises to steer well clear of the 3L TD GU Patrols, affectionately known as the "Hand Grenade".
Originally Posted by Nikked
Riksta likes VN's so much, he has the ashes of a VN in a jar on the mantle piece, a vile of VN engine oil hanging from his neck and a BT1 build plate locked up in a safe, buried under 6ft of concrete.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Day-mow
pretty much what has happened here is i trolled you. and it was fun.
Riksta is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-05-2010, 01:52 PM   #7
StrokedXT
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paxton
Why is that? I put 150,000 KMs on one, and a mate's has just crossed the 400,000 mark. Mine was completely trouble free. If I could get the same fuel economy out of a Falcon that I could with that patrol, I'd be laughing.
Isnt it the same 2.8 that was in the GQ?

They are fairly bulletproof, slow and underpowered for a truck that size and with a decent sized van on the back though.
StrokedXT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-05-2010, 02:19 PM   #8
ebxr8240
Performance moderator

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical advice. 

Ooops I should have said turbo...
The 4.2 looks the goods ...
They don't devalue too much..
Seems between 25k & 40k is the going price for a good one..

Would one consider the Hyundai given that, that price range I could buy NEW with 5 years real warranty... I mean they DON'T say whatever trouble is with in normal running of the vehicle...
I don't see any F150 Fords for sale..
Daily driver GTE FG..
Old 06-05-2010, 04:32 PM   #9
smally289
growing up is optional

Buy a GU Patrol with a dead ZD30, then go and talk to these guys >> http://www.brunswickdiesels.com.au/new/index.php or buy one already done from them.
A 6.5 litre Chev V8 diesel will pull just about anything.
smally289 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-05-2010, 04:41 PM   #10
Paxton
Cobblers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeep_by_ford
Isnt it the same 2.8 that was in the GQ?

They are fairly bulletproof, slow and underpowered for a truck that size and with a decent sized van on the back though.
Possibly. RB28ET. Mine was a GU, however.

I loved mine. It sounded less like a Diesel than the BMW's I tested prior to buying my X5. It is amazing when I was benchmarking the BMW on a Ten year old Nissan Patrol.
Roses are red. Violets are blue. OS X rocks. Homage to you.
Paxton is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-05-2010, 04:51 PM   #11
Fev
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

We've got a 100 series Landcruiser with almost 200,000km's on it now (NA 6cyl), about 12 years old i think it is now.. We've had very few problems with it, the most was a leaking diff seal. Perfect for anything, easy to drive on the road, great for towing our 23ft Bayliner boat and it's very comfy. Couldn't reccommend one more
Fev is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-05-2010, 06:06 PM   #12
FPV70

Early 2.8's in the GQ are fairly tough and same for the later 2.8 in the GU although the GU tends to have problems with the injector pump.

other than that, they are good but I would be assumiong that you want something a little more late model.

The 100 series Crusier are good but be wary with the front end as they tend to fall out if driving over alot of courrigated (spelling?) roads.

The Hyundai is actually quite a good car and is supposedly built on the old Pajero platform (think 1990's) and I have seen them actually do quite a few things that you wouldn't think from a IFS car of that stature.

Certainly check one out.

Also, think of what type of driving you might do as to what setup you want. there is alot of Variables in outback touring when it comes to your truck.

Accessories are in abundance for Toyota and Nissan. Will depend on if you want to pay premium price for your car or pay for the Nissan which will squeek a bit more maybe but you have the tried and tested Live Axle front which is easy to get good lift where as a IFS car you need to wind up Torsion (spelling?) bars which can have adverse affect on handling.

Personally if it were me, I would go for the Patrol. Either 4.2 (any year) or 3.0 2005 Onwards.

Good luck and happy 4x4ing
Old 06-05-2010, 06:51 PM   #13
VICFPV

Have been using the Patrol 4 years now without any issues. Its the 3.0ltr Diesel.
135000 Kms of City and bush driving including hill climbs and and rough terrain. My family has always had Patrols for quite sometime and would not touch anything else no matter how good they claim to be. Great allrounder.
VICFPV is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-05-2010, 06:52 PM   #14
FrogInASock
Getahaircutandgetarealjob

The 2.8 Patrols have a smaller, not as strong gearbox than their 4.2 litre brothers. It is not advisable to tow much more than a loaded box trailer, certainly no big caravans, horse floats, or ocean liners. By itself, not an issue, will go all day.

The 4.2 LandCruiser, sans turbo, was a revelation when it was introduced in the early 1990's. Now it's known as the 1HZzzzzzz! Factory turbo 4.2 LandCruisers are said to be a gun engine. Same with the 4.2 Patrol. Look for a factory turbo of either make. There's nothing wrong with the non turbo engines, it's just that other engines, technology, and people's expectations have overtaken them.

As noted above, also look at other vehicles. Diesel Prado's are good and I can personally vouch for the Pajero 3.2 DID as I own one. Note that the older 2.8 diesel Pajero is of the same family, but far from the same engine. Technology rules.
Old 06-05-2010, 07:20 PM   #15
4.0i_SiX
SiX_iN_a_RoW

4.2 turbo diesel in either vehicle, wouldnt touch anything else for towing. You may get the odd postive story about the 3.0 hand grenade patrol but from what I have seen/experienced and read, Theyre not worth the risk. the 2.8's were a much better engine, although theyre an underpowered 6 cylinder which are pretty much constantly on full boost.

The 4.2 patrol has a very strong gearbox, however DO NOT tow in 5th gear. Stay away from a 105 series 1hz for towing, too slow and weak gearbox ( prado/hilux gearbox )

The h150/151 gearbox from the landcruisers ( none turbo 1hz and turbo 1hdt ) are nearly bulletproof but do have synchro issues. They were upgraded with triple synchros after 93

The very early 1hdt engine had big end bearing issues which most have been rectified.

honestly for towing, 100 series 1hdt-fe multivalve turbo diesel and auto, downfalls are IFS front end which limits articulation offroad, great onroad. Early 100's had issues with front end but were recalled for strengthening and later models were beefed up from factory, the front end wont fall out
Old 06-05-2010, 07:50 PM   #16
XR Martin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Later 3L TD Common Rail Patrols arnt too bad, better than the 4.2.

I reckon a Kia Sorrento with the TD would be worth a look, 5yr/unlimited km warranty, 6spd, 420nm, $40k
2016 FGX XR8 Sprint, 6speed manual, Kinetic Blue #170

2004 BA wagon RTV project.

1998 EL XR8, Auto, Hot Chilli Red

1993 ED XR6, 5speed, Polynesian Green. 1 of 329. Retired

1968 XT Falcon 500 wagon, 3 on the tree, 3.6L. Patina project.
XR Martin is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-05-2010, 07:54 PM   #17
grey_esp
Greys tuf too :-)

1HD-FT 80 series. nuff said.
grey_esp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-05-2010, 08:04 PM   #18
Mr Hardware
Flairs - Truckers Delight

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: The excellent how to on LPG jet cleaning. 

A lot of very good info in this thread
Basically as long as you're getting the 4.2TD in the cruiser or pootrol you can't really go wrong
I'd go the landy cos it's a toyota.
Old 06-05-2010, 08:33 PM   #19
FlipXW
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Between myself and my brother we have had 5 patrols and 1 landcruiser in the past 2 years.

'96 2.8td GQ - Not a bad truck, very capable off road, i had a few little problems with it but nothing major. It had 275 000km on it when I sold it. Not very good for a daily driver though. It was a slug and with your foot forever flat to the floor it got woeful fuel econ. Defo would not like to tow anything big with it.

2 x '94 4.2 non turbo patrols 1 ute, 1 wagon both with high kays. 350 000 - 520 000. Bullet proof drivelines. Both were in very sound shape mechanically. Would go anywhere and tow anything. Unfortunately rust got the better of these 2.

'95 GQ 4.2 again with high kays 470 000, had this 1 for the longest with a fair bit of 4wd gear on it. Again a brilliant truck. Only sold this due to upgrading.

'01 4.2 100 series landy well this was a problem. Im sure they are a great 4wd but this 1 wasnt. Only had it for about 2 weeks. Got it from QLD with a roadworthy cert and inspection bought it back home and couldnt get it resgistered in NSW due to it having a dirty big crack right through the floorpan from the front to the back and up the firewall. About 8g worth of damage all up. After a couple of months of mucking around the wholesaler where it was bought from took it back and the money was refunded.

My bro has just recently bought a '99 4.2TD GU with 340 000 kays on it. So far cant fault it. Easily the most grunt out of all of them and also the most comfy and well equipt. He will probably be holding onto it for a while. I would suggest this is the sort of vehicle you would want to buy. I probably wouldnt consider anything else. He paid $16500 for it if that helps. Bargin IMO considering its in near perfect condition.
FlipXW is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-05-2010, 09:08 PM   #20
XR Martin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

PS, Landy is a Rover. Cruiser is a Toyota. :P
2016 FGX XR8 Sprint, 6speed manual, Kinetic Blue #170

2004 BA wagon RTV project.

1998 EL XR8, Auto, Hot Chilli Red

1993 ED XR6, 5speed, Polynesian Green. 1 of 329. Retired

1968 XT Falcon 500 wagon, 3 on the tree, 3.6L. Patina project.
XR Martin is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-05-2010, 09:45 PM   #21
Green X
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Don't know your price range but My mate has one of the new 4500V8 Turbo Diesal Cruser Utes, It pulls his 21.5Ft boat like it's not even there.

100 4.2TD Cruser or 4.2TD Patrol and you won't go wrong!
Old 06-05-2010, 10:32 PM   #22
NGN 351
FoMoCo Fan

The V8 landcruiser turbo diesel engines are having major problems with oil consumption...steer well clear.

Patrol,Pathfinder,Pajero and Prado all seem to have few problems. Depends what you want to do with it and are happy with limitations as they all have their own strengths and weakness's
Old 07-05-2010, 12:51 AM   #23
Interceptor
HSV - I just ate one!

4.2 diesel, pref turbo in either a patrol or 'cruiser, simply pick your poison

for a wagon, i'd take an 03-onwards 100 series turbo diesel with the 5 speed auto, magic on fuel for the size.....

for a ute, gimme a GQ ST coilcab any day of the week

ANYONE who thinks a 3L patrol is a good idea is on some pretty serious drugs, common rail or not
Old 07-05-2010, 11:19 AM   #24
grey_esp
Greys tuf too :-)

If your looking at doing any serious off road work i would not be getting anything with IFS and anything in TD toyota after the 80 series has IFS. (76 -78 & 79 series not included). If your not planning on getting too far off the beaten track then yeah go late model 100 series with the 1hd fte very comfortable and heaps of power.

If you can find a 105 series with a 6.5 chev in it then buy that, best of both worlds (105 still has live axle in the front but didnt come in TD)

And if the wallet cant open far enough for a toyo then buy a 4.2 TD patrol.
grey_esp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-05-2010, 10:01 PM   #25
jd dad
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

factory TD in Patrol or Cruiser for mine. We spent 3 months towing our camper through SA/NT and WA last yr with our TD 80 series and never put a spanner on it bar oil changes. Great offroad and pretty good onroad as well. If you are only going to be onroad the 100 series TD is a much nicer vehicle to drive, parents have one and its more like a car than a 4wd for comfort/noise/fuel economy etc.
Old 07-05-2010, 10:34 PM   #26
azzss
Starter Motor

My old man had a 100 series 4.2 t/d 5 speed auto and it was a great car. Excellent fuel economy and towed well. He has a 200 series v8 now and it's a lot more thirsty and likes a drink of oil. I'd buy a good 100 or even a late (97/98) 80 series turbo diesel if you can find one as they were bulletproof. Also the 120 series prado are good both pre combustion and common rail engines.
azzss is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-05-2010, 12:29 AM   #27
drew`SEVNT5
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Buy a range rover.

-2011 Nissan 370z Coupe (6M)-
-2006 Husqvarna SMRR450-
drew`SEVNT5 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-05-2010, 09:12 PM   #28
ebxr8240
Performance moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by drew`SEVNT5
Buy a range rover.
Live in the wrong suburb...
I'd kill it anyway...
Daily driver GTE FG..
Old 08-05-2010, 09:21 PM   #29
eb2fairmont
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

4.2 TD cruiser. 70 series or 100 series.

I'd go the 70 series it would survive nuclear Armageddon.
eb2fairmont is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-05-2010, 09:53 PM   #30
ebxr8240
Performance moderator

Looking at one like this..
http://www.carsales.com.au/all-cars/...=142&silo=1011
Daily driver GTE FG..