Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 08-05-2010, 10:00 PM   #31
BuckTooth
Feel the boost

Upon researching it further, the new V8 cruisers oil consumption problem has been rectified. I can't really speculate on the diesels, but i've owned 3 cruiser wagons all petrol autos. They tow like trains but will run upwards of 16L per 100km with anything behind them.
Old 09-05-2010, 12:07 AM   #32
FTGAutosalvage
Commercial Sponsor

I have had many 4WD's over the years , GQ patrols with Diesels , 4.2 carbys 4.2 petrol turbo and V8,s also GU patrol 4.2TD with lots of money spent on it to try and make it go. but my last 2 tow cars have been GU patrol 4.8 petrol, first an auto & now a GU4 with 4.8 & manual. towing is a breeze with it , i can overtake cars at 100km/h with my race car on the back weighing in at just under 3.5 tonnes, and it doesnt use that much more fuel than the GU 4.2TD did. for me its about getting to where i want to go, and being able to stick to the speed limit. The GU4.2TD was always working hard.

I have also towed my race car behind a mates 100series TD auto. it done it nicely but i would be worried to take it off road.
FTGAutosalvage is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-05-2010, 10:29 PM   #33
eb2fairmont
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebxr8240
80 series wagon. Plenty tough, smaller than a 100 series and with a solid front axle will be able to go offroading nicely.

Decent bit of kit that but at 27 K it would want to be. Its heading into 100 series territoryu! (pun not intended)
eb2fairmont is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-05-2010, 12:55 AM   #34
drew`SEVNT5
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

My best mate just sold his 100 series Cruise, 4.5 Petrol, with a Safari turbo kit... 33's, bullbar, big sterio, 160kw@ the wheels, moved it on for mid-$20's....

Bought a 1994 Range Rover Classic 3.9L V8 for $6,000, ripped the front airdam off, put it on 31's, and couldn't be happeier..... from memory, he only has .5cm less clearance under the diffs than our other mate's Patrol on 35's!

-2011 Nissan 370z Coupe (6M)-
-2006 Husqvarna SMRR450-
drew`SEVNT5 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-05-2010, 10:18 AM   #35
ZA-289
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Thats because Patrols have big indestructable diffs!!

There is something to be said about old 4WD's that you can actually take out bush and not care if you scratch it.
ZA-289 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-05-2010, 10:39 AM   #36
chevypower
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Can't beat a good solid front axle!
chevypower is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-05-2010, 11:16 AM   #37
grey_esp
Greys tuf too :-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by eb2fairmont
80 series wagon. Plenty tough, smaller than a 100 series and with a solid front axle will be able to go offroading nicely.

Decent bit of kit that but at 27 K it would want to be. Its heading into 100 series territoryu! (pun not intended)

he is probably asking about 8 or 9k too much for that. If it was factory turbo yeah buy it, but they are not the same motor, it'll be good, great even but not worth the $$$ he is asking.
grey_esp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-05-2010, 12:54 PM   #38
ebxr8240
Performance moderator

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical advice. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebxr8240
Ooops I should have said turbo...
The 4.2 looks the goods ...
They don't devalue too much..
Seems between 25k & 40k is the going price for a good one..

Would one consider the Hyundai given that, that price range I could buy NEW with 5 years real warranty... I mean they DON'T say whatever trouble is with in normal running of the vehicle...
I don't see any F150 Fords for sale..
May be able to get away with a little less $$...
Dart 330ci block turbo black pearl EBXR8 482 rwkw..
Daily driver GTE FG..
Projects http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=107711
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...8+turbo&page=4
ebxr8240 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-10-2010, 01:40 AM   #39
jlef5

I own a Nissan Patrol ute 4.2 diesel with factory turbo and aftermarket intercooler. I have a slide on camper that makes the rig 2.5 m tall and touch under 2 m wide and with a boat in tow about 1 tonne can maintain 110 up most hills and into head winds. Fuel usage doesn't seem to change too much on load only when the right foot gets heavy. If you plan to do off road go a patrol the cruisers just seem a bit more on road cars then off road capable. Stay well clear of early 3ltr patrols.
jlef5 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-10-2010, 02:56 AM   #40
Crazy Dazz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Personally, I find that decent second hand Cruisers are over-priced, due to excessive demand.

I would definitely go with the Patrol. $20k should get you a decent 4.2 TD with ok km. The 4.2 is basically a truck engine, not fancy, but tough and loads of torque.
Crazy Dazz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-10-2010, 09:51 AM   #41
FPVUTEXR8

Defenatly don't think of buying one of the new 3.0l Patrols , We have a fleet of them and they are absolutly hopeless .
My personal choice is the 4.2 TD Patrol as we have one of those also and it Is great, Likewise we have a 4.2 TD Cruiser and it is the same , Both have heaps of power , Great offroad , Tow Excelent ,
It's nothing for my cruiser to weigh in at 3.5 t loaded and put a traier on the back with another 2 tonne in it. Will happily cruise at 100 km/hr .
FPVUTEXR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-10-2010, 10:58 AM   #42
TUF_302
The Vengeful One
Donating Member1

I currently own a GU 2.8ltrTDI, it may not be the fastest accelerating vehicle ever made but, I fail to see why so many people avoid them, its got plenty of pull once its up and moving, its very comfy and is damn good off road
Old 24-10-2010, 11:16 AM   #43
302 XC
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The main reason why the 2.8 bashing is they are reknown for doin head gaskets and cracking heads
A 2.8 i had a few years ago hadnt done 200,000K (fully serviced since new)
Cracked the head beyond repair and a new replacement head was required
Cost to repair then was near 5K
As the saying goes theres no replacement for displacement
Once youve ventured in the 4.2 (either petrol or diesel)youll never go a 2.8 again
302 XC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-10-2010, 03:10 PM   #44
lemonxr6
Starter Motor

we have had our 06 gu st 3ltr t/d wagon since new has 100k on it now and havent spent a cent on it except a set of tyres and sercvicing great 4by i haveb a swb gq for a toy running lockers and 37'' super swampers straight gas reasearch gear and its a weapon my work ute is a 07 landcruiser v8 t/d and its a pure workhorse carts 500kg of tools around and 600ltr of fuel when im on site it use's half a litre of oil every 10k's which is normal for a working engine had no dramas and goes like stink and its got 129k on the clock
lemonxr6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-10-2010, 03:33 PM   #45
MAV50L
Banned

My old man owns a ZD30 GU. I have bagged the thing out very harshly since the day he bought it 7 years ago.
I had to have a huge feed of humble pie but when my NF broke down in Melbourne.
We did Sydney to Melbourne and back in an overnighter in it. We did the entire trip in 18 hours stopping for fuel and food as required , we did have 3 drivers but.
Coming back up the Hume at 120km for the entire trip with a fat **** lane on the car trailer and we got 12L/100kms out of it.
Didnt have a hint of trouble then entire way and at the end of the trip we were tired as you would expect for it being 30odd hours since any of us had slept but you certainly couldnt say it was a hard trip to do in the Patrol. It was very comfortable with 3 blokes in it.
From that day on I will never have another bad world to say about the old girl and the ZD30 in general. Yes there are many reports of them going bang , but no reports of people having a great run out of them. I reckon the ratio of good ones to bad ones would be well in favour of good ones.
Remember people bagged out XA's and HQ's once upon a time....................
MAV50L is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post