Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 20-10-2010, 07:22 PM   #1
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Exclamation Holden 10 New Models Coming !!

Holden product onslaught coming
Toby Hagon
October 19, 2010
Comments 4

The new Barina Spark.
Holden is gearing up to add new models to its range and update existing vehicles by the middle of 2012.

Holden is gearing up to plug holes in its product lineup with what it claims is an unprecedented new-vehicle onslaught that could see a range of four-wheel-drives and a long awaited major update to the locally made Commodore.

In true Australian style, Holden will also finally replace its ageing Colorado ute – formerly known as the Rodeo – and potentially bring a four-wheel-drive (SUV-style) wagon.

Speaking at the launch of the new Holden Barina Spark – the cheapest and most efficient new Holden on the market – Holden chairman and managing director Mike Devereux said the brand, whose parent General Motors was bankrupted in the United States last year, was getting ready to fight back with a range of new and updated models.

Advertisement: Story continues below
“Over the next year and a half Australian customers will see a roll-out of new Holden product like they’ve never seen before,” said Devereux. “We will have new, world-class, market-leading Holden vehicles competing in almost every segment in this market.”

Devereux says it is all about “pretty much filling up the portfolio” with cars designed to grow market share and spread the Holden message wider.

“We’re now getting to the point where the true might of GM’s global product development factory is going to display itself in this country,” he said. “We’ve got a plan to put something we’re proud of and is world class in each [segment]."

“Every three months there’s going to be something fairly large going on.”

He said the 10 new models between now and mid-2012 would be a mix of replacement vehicles and new models.

“There are actually quite a few all-new vehicles and then there are some updates,” he said. “In some cases it’s something that doesn’t exist today, in some cases it may be a new nameplate.”

While the VE Commodore has existed since 2006 with only mild styling tweaks, a visually different new vehicle is expected within “a year or so” according to one insider.

It’s not known how much will change underneath the new Commodore – which is likely to be codenamed the VF model – especially as Holden has just introduced new E85-compatible engines as part of the VE Series 2 update that also introduced a freshened interior with a new touchscreen display.

As sales of utes continue to surge, Holden says it will finally replace the Colorado with an all-new model.

That new ute also looks set to spawn an SUV-style off-road wagon, effectively putting a unique body on the ute’s underpinnings.

While Holden wasn’t going into specifics, it appears the company could soon have a proper four-wheel-drive back in its lineup, competing with the likes of the Mitsubishi Challenger and other ute-based 4WD wagons such as mooted Ford and Mazda versions.

“There may be some variants off the utility … you can use your imagination,” is all Devereux would say.

One of the most important new Holdens, though, will be the updated Cruze that will be produced alongside the Commodore from March 2011.

Joining the updated Cruze sedan – which Holden says will get a styling freshen-up – is a hatch version.

Devereux wouldn’t elaborate on potential new body styles that could ultimately be built from the Cruze underpinnings, suggesting that would be part of broader decisions for a car that’s built in other GM plants.

However, he says there are other opportunities with local tweaks to the Cruze.

“There are options on accessorisation because we have engineering capability [locally],” says Devereux. “There’s things we can do [with the Cruze small car family] within the lifecycle.”

As for bigger decisions, such as the addition of a wagon, he said: “We wouldn’t make a small decision on utes, wagons, anything beyond a sedan or a hatch unless it was a global product decision.”

The Holden announcement on upcoming new models – no doubt done to gee up dealers and get would-be buyers considering the Holden brand - has already sparked a response from Ford, which says it is readying even more new vehicles over the next couple of years, including the long-awaited diesel version of its Territory (my comment..we need it NOW!!)and the more efficient four-cylinder version of the Falcon.

Ford recently released its crucial new Ranger ute, which was designed and engineered in Australia and will be sold in more than 180 countries. The Ranger goes on sale in Australia in the second half of 2011.

My comment : and whats Ford doing !!!! Diesel Territory ????, KUGA ??? FIESTA ST ???
Again Ford will be left behind by Holden..so sad......

Old 20-10-2010, 07:27 PM   #2
Road Games

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Replacement. 

Meh , its a holden i sure as hell wont be buying ANY of them , but thanks for the post ...
Road Games is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-10-2010, 08:26 PM   #3
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

YUK!!

http://theage.drive.com.au/motor-new...019-16s5p.html

Quote:
Ladies, your new Barina Spark has arrived
Toby Hagon
October 19, 2010

Men are being asked to make way as Holden again takes aim at women for its most fuel efficient and affordable new car.

The “beep beep” Barina girl ad campaign is back – in spirit at least.

Having unceremoniously dropped the female-focused advertising of the Barina six years ago due to its potential to alienate half the population – men won’t buy a women’s car, said Holden at the time - Holden is again aiming its most affordable, most fuel efficient car specifically at women.

Back then, Holden reasoned the “Barina Girl” that ran from 1998 could eventually tend “to alienate young men” but now the brand is throwing itself head first back into the women-only fold with its new 1.2-litre hatchback.

Advertisement: Story continues below
The new Barina Spark – a smaller hatchback that sits below the regular Barina, which will be replaced in 2011 – is being pitched squarely at Gen Y women, those aged 18 to 30, with women over 40 also in the target market.

“The light car segment is very heavily skewed towards women, particularly in the value end of the segment” says Emma Pinwill, Holden marketing manager for small, medium and light commercial vehicles. “We wanted to do a marketing campaign that was very targeted."

“We believe the males [who would consider the Barina Spark] … won’t be put off by our advertising.”

The Barina Spark is priced from $12,490, plus on-road costs, making it one of the cheapest cars on the market.

It arrives with an entry-level price of $14,490 drive-away, pitching it squarely at other tiddlers such as the Suzuki Alto, upcoming Nissan Micra and ageing (and soon to be discontinued) Hyundai Getz, which is the segment leader in sales.

However, while most small cars sold are fitted with an optional automatic transmission, Holden must initially make do with a five-speed manual.

The company says an auto is in the pipeline but it won’t be here soon, leaving the increasing number of new-car buyers who opt for an auto – including younger drivers with an automatic-only driver’s licence – to shop elsewhere or get used to changing gears.

The base Barina Spark CD model comes with front power windows, air-conditioning, trip computer, USB input for music player interaction, alloy wheels and a full complement of safety features that extends to six airbags (front, side and side-curtain) and electronic stability control that will be mandatory on all new passenger cars from next year.

A Barina Spark CDX costs another $1500 and brings a larger coloured rear wing, larger alloy wheels (15-inch in diameter), power rear windows and vinyl seats that Holden more elegantly markets as Sportec.

Bluetooth connectivity is optional, as are various stickers designed to change the exterior look. Holden has even designed a website (Barina Designer) that encourages people to design their own car and share it with friends on social networking sites such as Facebook.

The Holden Barina Spark is fitted with a modest 1.2-litre four-cylinder engine that makes just 59kW of power (about half that of many small cars) and 107Nm of torque.
Old 20-10-2010, 08:40 PM   #4
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I used to love Holdens, they seam boring these days.

Walkinsures seam not bad though.
I don't even know what they are actually called.
Ben73 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-10-2010, 08:54 PM   #5
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

Holden this, Holden that.

There are a lot of words like "maybe" and "could" in that article. No surprise considering the agency that published it...

1970 XW Falcon GT replica | 1970 XW Falcon | 1971 XY Fairmont | 1973 ZG Fairlane | 1986 XF Falcon panel van | 1987 XFII Falcon S-Pack | 1988 XF Falcon GLS ute | 1993 EBII Fairmont V8 | 1996 XG Falcon ute | 2000 AU Falcon wagon | 2004 BA Falcon XT | 2012 SZ Territory Titanium AWD

Proud to buy Australian and support Ford Australia through thick and thin
Road_Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-10-2010, 09:02 PM   #6
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road_Warrior
Holden this, Holden that.

There are a lot of words like "maybe" and "could" in that article. No surprise considering the agency that published it...
So whats new with them. They are a 'gonna' company, gonna do this gonna do that.
Old 20-10-2010, 09:04 PM   #7
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Lol

That Barina is an insult to all the other Barinas...thats how bad it is. If they move those things in big numbers then I give up with the average Australian buyer.
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Polyal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-10-2010, 09:07 PM   #8
Resurrection
I was correct - AGAIN

The headlight almost reaches the A-pillar. Damn ugly.
Resurrection is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-10-2010, 09:32 PM   #9
Road Games

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Replacement. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resurrection
Hor much fuel yoo ronna put inna me sailor boy ?
5 dorra ??

Road Games is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-10-2010, 09:39 PM   #10
Iggypoppin'
Chasing a FORD project!

I thought Holden where broke??
Game. Reinvented.

1996 BMW 740iL V8. TV, phone, leather, sunroof, satnav, all as standard. Now with 19" TSW Brooklands, 2 1/2" stainless steel exhaust, plus more coming soon.
Iggypoppin' is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-10-2010, 09:39 PM   #11
Revolver
Big Member
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by csv8
In true Australian style, Holden will also finally replace its ageing Colorado ute – formerly known as the Rodeo – and potentially bring a four-wheel-drive (SUV-style) wagon.
I Honestly thought that the Colorado was the Rodeo's replacement. New Chassis, new body etc. I thought that it was a complete new unit.

I actually find that really hard to believe that it is still the "old" Rodeo underneath it.....
/////Alpine Sound.
EBGT Momo Woodgrain Steering Wheel
The Scarlet Fairlane Build Thread

Project "White Knight"
93 ED XR6
ROH Alloys
Momo wheel
Cruise
Sunroof
Premo Sound
Manual
HO Goodies
PWK Build Thread

1990 Yamaha FZR 250: 59000ks & climbing. New fairing, old tank, my angry mosquito in a coffee tin! 14.977 1/4mile.
Revolver is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-10-2010, 09:40 PM   #12
Revolver
Big Member
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iggypoppin'
Yep, about as broke as Alan bond.....
/////Alpine Sound.
EBGT Momo Woodgrain Steering Wheel
The Scarlet Fairlane Build Thread

Project "White Knight"
93 ED XR6
ROH Alloys
Momo wheel
Cruise
Sunroof
Premo Sound
Manual
HO Goodies
PWK Build Thread

1990 Yamaha FZR 250: 59000ks & climbing. New fairing, old tank, my angry mosquito in a coffee tin! 14.977 1/4mile.
Revolver is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-10-2010, 09:59 PM   #13
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

Quote:
Originally Posted by vztrt
So whats new with them. They are a 'gonna' company, gonna do this gonna do that.
I was actually referring to Drive, not Holden. But I saw one of these Holden Spark thingies in Melbourne this week, a wishy washy metallic green one. About as interesting as a sub-B car can get I guess

1970 XW Falcon GT replica | 1970 XW Falcon | 1971 XY Fairmont | 1973 ZG Fairlane | 1986 XF Falcon panel van | 1987 XFII Falcon S-Pack | 1988 XF Falcon GLS ute | 1993 EBII Fairmont V8 | 1996 XG Falcon ute | 2000 AU Falcon wagon | 2004 BA Falcon XT | 2012 SZ Territory Titanium AWD

Proud to buy Australian and support Ford Australia through thick and thin
Road_Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-10-2010, 09:59 PM   #14
Dave R

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Valued contributor especially in the FG threads. Offers help and information to all. Posts are always in a positive manner. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toby Hagon
Yes, because true Australian style means replacing one foreign designed import with another.

Dave R is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-10-2010, 10:27 PM   #15
sxckevo
Ford motor company

does anyone believe they can still make money by building the cruze here? no doubt in my mind that this story will make reasonable size spread on a page in the papers tomorrow...some how always does

AND FORD HURRY UP WITH THE TERRY!!! INVENT A TIME MACHINE AND WORK LONGER HOURS PLEASE! I WANT IT HERE BY THE END OF THE WEEK

,good wishes Kevin

WORK CAR: RED 1996 manual XG ute
sxckevo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-10-2010, 10:39 PM   #16
388cube_edxr8
Nutty Professor

In other news, Fisher and Paykel are probably launching a range of new washing machines soonish. The new products will be stamped out of the factory using the same underlying technology as before, but may have a new shell with some extra pointy bits and a racing stripe. Maybe.

No word yet on whether the issue of the control panels falling apart might be fixed on the new models.
If you buy a rubbish car, what you are saying is "I have no interest in cars." If you have no interest in cars, you have no interest in driving, and if you have no interest in something, it means you're no good at it, which means you must have your driving license taken away.
388cube_edxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-10-2010, 11:24 PM   #17
Windsor220
Now Fordless

Fords got plenty happening.

New FPVs just released
New Ranger
New engines for Falcon
New Territory and diesel option
New Focus
Other smaller stuff too. Mondeo getting upgrade etc

And on the Spark, they need to cut the headlight in half.
Windsor220 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-10-2010, 12:22 AM   #18
bobthebilda
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iggypoppin'

Well they were (probably still are). But they managed to con $180 million out of the federal and state governments to build the cruze (and Holden were tipping in another $250 million or so).

You can probably assume that since 70 percent of the cruze will still be imported as a CKD from Daewoo, that nothing like the original money was spent, and Holden have diverted some of the Feds and states money to keep operations going.

Didnt ford develop the current Falcon for under $500 million. Holden have apparantly spent over $400 million to introduce a model that was already on the market, and will still be 70% imported.

Quote:
does anyone believe they can still make money by building the cruze here?
It would make sense that if Ford decided they couldnt make money from building the focus here, then there is no chance Holden can do with the Cruze. If the dollar keeps going up, they will be slaughtered by trying to compete with corolla, mazda3 and lancer imports. With commodores they were able to have a slight market differential, and try and build a premium into the sale price, they wont have that with the cruze.
bobthebilda is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-10-2010, 12:35 AM   #19
uranium_death
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polyal
Lol

That Barina is an insult to all the other Barinas...thats how bad it is. If they move those things in big numbers then I give up with the average Australian buyer.
They moved the 2-star safety rated Daewoo Kalos for years and I suspect many of the young buyers were clueless toward the car's true origin or its safety features, or lack of.

Kudos to Holden for being able to sell crap, and well done to all the young girls that wanted a Barina and blew a hard earned $XX,XXX on their dream car.

They could have paid more and get either a Mazda2 or Fiesta and had something safer, better built with a little more oomph.

Hail to the Australian Car Buyer.

Don't snap my undies.
uranium_death is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-10-2010, 08:31 AM   #20
Corzza

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben73
I used to love Holdens, they seam boring these days.

Walkinsures seam not bad though.
I don't even know what they are actually called.

Went to the Holden stand at the Motor show and they are just plain fugly!

All those LED's, bling and weird styling.

Race 2 Clipsal 500 2014

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8NOZvWBp4Eo

"I plucked her into first, gave it some jandal and F@#$ Yeah!" - Scott McLaughlin
Corzza is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-10-2010, 10:00 AM   #21
xrfalcon
On The Limiter

Soon the whole guard will be a head light............
xrfalcon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-10-2010, 10:45 AM   #22
smoo
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resurrection
How much do ya reckon one would cost!? Women driver + those head lights, hope they've got insurance.
I can just see it now, VF Commodore breaking Wheels' cover over speculation like the insignificant and aged VEII, while they rave on about the new Cruze, even though a 5 year old Mk V Golf or first gen Mazda 3 will still run rings around one.
smoo is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-10-2010, 11:04 AM   #23
Wretched
Render unto Caesar

meh, i miss the old Opel Corsa SRi. They were run.
These new Barinas are worthless junk.
Old 21-10-2010, 11:16 AM   #24
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Great Wall.....10 new models coming
John Deere.....10 new models coming
Haines Hunter.....10 new models coming

Don't care about any of those either.....
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-10-2010, 01:05 PM   #25
Gobes32
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAZZLER351
Hor much fuel yoo ronna put inna me sailor boy ?
5 dorra ??

sig worthy...... lol
A G8E would be good if Ford marketed squarely at Calais V8 owners. They need to bring back the walking fingers like in the initial FG ads, but this time have the fingers crushing Calais' as they walk along, with some relaxing background Led Zeppelin music and Marcos Ambrose in stubbies and singlet driving it.
Gobes32 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-10-2010, 02:59 PM   #26
browser351
Landcruiser 200

I thought this was a "Ford Forum" - who gives a toss if Holden are releasing new models!!!!!!
IMHO

Graeme K
browser351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-10-2010, 03:35 PM   #27
irlewy86
Meep Meep

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist
Great Wall.....10 new models coming
John Deere.....10 new models coming
Haines Hunter.....10 new models coming

Don't care about any of those either.....

10 new models for John Deere is much more exciting than 10 new Daewoo's.
Old 21-10-2010, 11:46 PM   #28
drew`SEVNT5
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by browser351

I thought this was a "Ford Forum" - who gives a toss if Holden are releasing new models!!!!!!
IMHO

Graeme K

-2011 Nissan 370z Coupe (6M)-
-2006 Husqvarna SMRR450-
drew`SEVNT5 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-10-2010, 11:50 PM   #29
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

L O freakin L
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Polyal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-10-2010, 11:56 PM   #30
Resurrection
I was correct - AGAIN

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoo
I can just see it now, VF Commodore breaking Wheels' cover over speculation like the insignificant and aged VEII, while they rave on about the new Cruze, even though a 5 year old Mk V Golf or first gen Mazda 3 will still run rings around one.
Interesting to note that the latest Wheels magazine has a reprint of the edition from earlier this year which dedicated a lot of space (and dribble) to the VEII. So much publicity for such a ho-hum update.
Resurrection is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post