Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 12-09-2011, 07:45 PM   #301
XDV800
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Who works in the mines and what doing

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR6menace
Trouble with that EOI is it is for experienced open cut plant & underground operators. Another locked door infront of me.

Experienced general hire operator here looking for a foot in the door. Keep em coming but mate.
XDV800 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-09-2011, 07:46 PM   #302
XDV800
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Damo
What are operators?
Plant operators (boneheads) eg; excavator, loader, dozer, etc. etc.
XDV800 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-09-2011, 07:48 PM   #303
Road Games

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Replacement. 

I think Davo was being tongue in cheek

A lot of cowboys.. and cowgirls out there now !!
Road Games is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-09-2011, 07:53 PM   #304
gtfpv
GT

it's obvious by reading this thread that it is harder to get into the mines than most would think . i think only one person here has actually gotten in because of any info in this thread , but correct me if i'm wrong . it just seens to be alot of people here cannot get in , not through lack of trying .
i'm going with the general consensus that it's better to know people . i know quite a few engineers and managers, and tradesman in the mines and thats what i'm hearing .
gtfpv is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-09-2011, 07:56 PM   #305
Road Games

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Replacement. 

*edit*... nothing further to add to this thread !
Old 12-09-2011, 08:00 PM   #306
gtfpv
GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR6menace
Waste of oxygen...
ha ? i find the thread interesting . havent you gotten enough of my posts closed . that post was a statement , why did it get up your nose this time ?
Old 12-09-2011, 08:56 PM   #307
mondo_broady
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtfpv
it's obvious by reading this thread that it is harder to get into the mines than most would think . i think only one person here has actually gotten in because of any info in this thread , but correct me if i'm wrong .
well not pointing fingers at anyone in particular, but whenever useful info on job opportunities is posted, it gets lost in the waffle of conversation about stuff not entirely relevant to the thread.

i have posted twice a list of jobs advertised in three states and not one person made comment or showed interest so i just gave up doing it. on both occasions the info was shunted off the page within hours of it being posted.

i have been in mining since 1984 and in my experience, it is not just a case of who you know at all. there are jobs out there for those willing to take them. sure a lot of those positions are for experienced mineworkers, but the experienced labor pool is not bottomless and some inexperienced guys are given a go to fill positions.

New ride: 2010 LV Focus XR5 - Moondust Silver - More mods than you can poke a stick at
mondo_broady is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 12-09-2011, 09:11 PM   #308
05_ENFORCER

1984 eh?

I didn't stop to think that anyone could be in the game as long as I have been

Old 12-09-2011, 09:38 PM   #309
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Keep it civil guys, this thread appears reasonably helpful. It would be a shame to have to close it.
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-09-2011, 10:34 PM   #310
FG G6 LE
Starter Motor

What sort of positions are available for Plumbers in the mines?
AU2 XR8 Ute
AU2 XR6 Ute
Current
1996 Hilux twin cab Tamworth edition
Soon to be
FG G6 LE
FG G6 LE is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-09-2011, 11:08 PM   #311
vibe_xr6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Ive put in for 23 jobs in 2 weeks in the mines, still waiting to hear back, although i have a interview for another job tomorrow
Old 12-09-2011, 11:47 PM   #312
05_ENFORCER

Quote:
Originally Posted by FG G6 LE
What sort of positions are available for Plumbers in the mines?

If you are in W.A and you are a registered dinkum plumber, PM me NOW.

We are building a brand new mine and the contracted plumbers could do with a hand.

Old 13-09-2011, 08:43 AM   #313
mondo_broady
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist
Keep it civil guys, this thread appears reasonably helpful. It would be a shame to have to close it.
how was what i wrote not civil?? i was simply making a point that whenever useful stuff gets posted it gets quickly consigned to the back pages by posts which are less than helpful. there has been a lot of useful info posted but anyone following the thread could easily miss it as it disappears quickly.

i've got nothing more to add. good luck to those trying to get in, and to those who can do so, keep providing the information to help...

New ride: 2010 LV Focus XR5 - Moondust Silver - More mods than you can poke a stick at
Old 13-09-2011, 08:59 AM   #314
Gambit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by mondo_broady
how was what i wrote not civil?? i was simply making a point that whenever useful stuff gets posted it gets quickly consigned to the back pages by posts which are less than helpful. there has been a lot of useful info posted but anyone following the thread could easily miss it as it disappears quickly.

i've got nothing more to add. good luck to those trying to get in, and to those who can do so, keep providing the information to help...
I think you had one of the most valid points I've read.. About yes they want experienced people but the experienced pool is only so big compared to the number of jobs. I have applied for an experienced job recently (no experience operating) & was told they are after approx 30 people & will hopefully get around 15 experienced people if they're lucky..
Gambit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-09-2011, 09:05 AM   #315
mondo_broady
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

in the last three years, the underground mine i work at has employed between 50-100 "cleanskins". i think maybe people need to broaden their horizons with regards to location and what they're prepared to do if they want to get a start. many who have commented here have already done so and hopefully for them, it will work out.

Old 13-09-2011, 09:29 AM   #316
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

The comment was not aimed at you. It was a general comment that the thread was looking like it may go down the wrong path so I got in before.

I read through the whole thread (and all the others) on occasion to get a feel of what is happening so the positioning of anything I write if it does not quote someone directly usually has nothing to do with the posts immediately above it.
Old 13-09-2011, 10:59 AM   #317
DJR-351
I am Groot
Donating Member3

Quote:
in the last three years, the underground mine i work at has employed between 50-100 "cleanskins". i think maybe people need to broaden their horizons with regards to location and what they're prepared to do if they want to get a start. many who have commented here have already done so and hopefully for them, it will work out.
Well said and spot on....

My first job in the mining industry was in 82 (Tom Price) and the first thing i did was find out what they needed and what i could offer. Once i had decided that i would do anything (job wise) to get a foot in the door it was easy. I started as a T/A with absolutely no experience and 18 months later i was a mobile plant operator....

To many people go in with a bunch of restrictions (demands) on what they are prepared to do and expect the prospective employer to meet them, then complain about it being too hard to get in when they get knocked back.

All the mines i worked on (Tom Price, Paraburdoo, Telfer and Newman) i had to move to and live there, i didn’t have a problem with that as i had a ball up there, and the people that live up there are a fantastic bunch and know how to make the best of where they are, but it seems these days most want FIFO out jobs and this is becoming a big problem for the mining companies....

"Those were the days when the cars were cars, they weren't built out of an Ikea pack like they are now and clothed in plastic; they were real cars." John Bowe
DJR-351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-09-2011, 12:16 PM   #318
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Remember not all mines are in woop woop. There is a nice coal mine opening near here in a few months although I suspect it will not pay as well as working in the desert.
Old 13-09-2011, 12:27 PM   #319
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Well I went through my spreadsheet and I have applied for 25 different companies that provide vacation work for students in their final year, fingers crossed I get something. Ill work anywhere with anyone and in any state or country! I really hope I get something!

I wanted to thank the guys on here for posting links, it is helpful.
Polyal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-09-2011, 12:35 PM   #320
gtfpv
GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polyal
Well I went through my spreadsheet and I have applied for 25 different companies that provide vacation work for students in their final year, fingers crossed I get something. Ill work anywhere with anyone and in any state or country! I really hope I get something!

I wanted to thank the guys on here for posting links, it is helpful.
dont take this as gospell , but speaking to a friend whos brother works at pillbarra in north western australia , as a tradesman , the friend said you can literally turn up for a start with trade papers and they'll give you a go , perhaps there might be areas where you can do this too , some here might be able to suggest where you can and if it is true ! although thats a big move ,if all else fails good luck . I'M still reading the thread as if it's going in 2 directions , one opposes the other .
Old 13-09-2011, 12:44 PM   #321
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Yes but being a uni student means I am stuffed and pretty much have to go through the programs. I havent studied for 5+ years to drive a truck (although if it made a difference I would..LOL).

Not having a bit of paper means I cant technically apply for a Mech Eng job outright, Im not a grad so that program is out too, and I dont have any trade experience so I am bent over there aswell. Its a really annoying limbo stage. I have Automotive Eng experience but thats it.
Old 13-09-2011, 12:52 PM   #322
Road Games

I received some more feedback about short lists today .... damn hard to decide what to do ?
Old 13-09-2011, 12:54 PM   #323
gtfpv
GT

Quote:
Yes but being a uni student means I am stuffed and pretty much have to go through the programs. I havent studied for 5+ years to drive a truck (although if it made a difference I would..LOL).

Not having a bit of paper means I cant technically apply for a Mech Eng job outright, Im not a grad so that program is out too, and I dont have any trade experience so I am bent over there aswell. Its a really annoying limbo stage. I have Automotive Eng experience but thats it.
i'm hearing ya . i wasnt implying qualified work at this stage , dont rule yourself out , being young and fit is a plus for you . hope some one here can further offer advice as to where you could do this ,( if you can ) , because if people can turn up ready for a start today approach and mines are taking them or referring them to contractors etc , then these people would be getting starts before employment agencies . like i said the thread isnt conclusive as to which way to go here , lots of people are applying for links etc etc , doesnt seem to be getting them in the door , perhaps some of the people can elaborate further in regards to which way to go here . paying for your own training etc etc before you apply doesnt seem to be helping interested people here . either that or people simply just arent following the advice given from employers and workers here in this thread .

Last edited by geckoGT; 13-09-2011 at 10:38 PM. Reason: Lets lose the personal attacks
Old 13-09-2011, 01:28 PM   #324
DJR-351
I am Groot
Donating Member3

Quote:

A lot of the bigger miners offer positions internally before going outside, if you are already there then you have increased your chances of getting the position you want 10 fold, the proverbial first cab off the rank....

Also a lot of the bigger miners offer fully funded training, so if you are already partly qualified in your chosen field and a trainee spot comes up then you are a better prospect for them, this is exactly how my brother went from Engine Room Greaser (PowerStation) to Mech Engineer...

I am no longer in the mining industry after moving to Offshore Oil & Gas (more money ) and this is the way i moved up to where i wanted to be...

Remember it's not all about qualifications, it's also about doing whats required to get that foot in the door and taking it from there....good luck...

"Those were the days when the cars were cars, they weren't built out of an Ikea pack like they are now and clothed in plastic; they were real cars." John Bowe
Old 13-09-2011, 01:34 PM   #325
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Yes I have applied for oil and gas aswell, I reckon I spent a week solid applying and not getting anything done for uni..LOL

Im keen as mustard, my father in law worked for Schlumberger and did really well for himself and thats basically what I want to do, something in the resources, FIFO.

Although being in VIC makes a a tad tougher, there are a few HQ's here but thats about it.

Vacation applications close this month, and then I think October they start having interviews. Im through to the next round with Rio but the process is so looong.
Old 13-09-2011, 01:43 PM   #326
THE CADBURY KID

Offshore is more money because of the risk, hydraulic failure after the pnr doesnt really entice me at all.
Good luck to those who do risk their lives and therefore get the big bucks.
Not to put anybody off but the dangers are real.
THE CADBURY KID is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-09-2011, 02:38 PM   #327

hi all,im moving up to rockhampton in about a month,would like to look at the mines around rocky,blackwater,emerald etc.
starting as a cleanskin which mines would be the biggest and best to try my luck at a start.
workpac said if you have no mines exp than you need to start as cleanskin even if you have tickets.
im happy to start as a cleanskin just need point of direction.
1971 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-09-2011, 02:51 PM   #328
DJR-351
I am Groot
Donating Member3

Quote:
Yes I have applied for oil and gas aswell, I reckon I spent a week solid applying and not getting anything done for uni..LOL

Im keen as mustard, my father in law worked for Schlumberger and did really well for himself and thats basically what I want to do, something in the resources, FIFO.

Although being in VIC makes a a tad tougher, there are a few HQ's here but thats about it.

Vacation applications close this month, and then I think October they start having interviews. Im through to the next round with Rio but the process is so looong.
I work for http://www.swire.com.sg/home.aspx who are based in Singapore with offices in Fremantle...

This is the project we are contracted to at the moment in Bass Strait if you are interested....

http://www.exxonmobil.com/Australia-...s_ktt_dvd.aspx

http://ret.gov.au/resources/Document...ent%20Plan.pdf

Both ESSO and McDermott have offices in Melb....

A lot of the time getting a job in this industry is word of mouth and doing the leg work to the office(s), but once you are in moving around is easy.
For me fronting up face to face has always been the best way to get the job and hasn’t failed me yet...case point the job i have now....i was living in Cairns and made a bag full of Resume's and hopped on a plane to Perth (most offshore oil & gas companies have offices in WA)....three days later i was on another plane to start work....i still had most of the resume's in my bag...

One job i was on early last year was to fly to Singapore then on to Vietnam, then a chopper out to the site in the South China Sea, is that enough FIFO for you...lol

Sorry that i can't post any links to any vacancy’s but i hope it has increased your interest, It's a very interesting and challenging industry to be in....

http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11282002

Last edited by DJR-351; 13-09-2011 at 03:08 PM.
Old 13-09-2011, 03:19 PM   #329
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Thanks Ill do some reading up on Swire tonight. So am I wrong in assuming that there is a difference in approach for trades vs engineers? I was of the assumption that it is "easier" for trades to door knock and float to place to place as you have something to offer straight up.

Being an engineering student in reality I have nothing other than previous work experience, which while not in the industry I do hold a good CV.

Point being is its not like I can jump in a truck/on a rig and know what the heck I am doing, cant get that from a text book.

Hope that makes sense.
Old 13-09-2011, 04:28 PM   #330
DJR-351
I am Groot
Donating Member3

Quote:
Thanks Ill do some reading up on Swire tonight. So am I wrong in assuming that there is a difference in approach for trades vs engineers? I was of the assumption that it is "easier" for trades to door knock and float to place to place as you have something to offer straight up.

Being an engineering student in reality I have nothing other than previous work experience, which while not in the industry I do hold a good CV.

Point being is its not like I can jump in a truck/on a rig and know what the heck I am doing, cant get that from a text book.

Hope that makes sense.
The engineers on the ships i work on are from trade backgrounds and whose function is to maintain and repair the ships engines and systems, the engineers on the platforms, rigs and construction side of things are like you and are university educated engineers....

This can include Mechanical, Electrical, Structural, Construction and Oil Field Engineers etc...it all depends on what you specialise in, the industry encompasses them all, and many of them DO go from employer to employer on a freelance basis....

Don’t worry too much about looking into Swires, to work on the ship side of things you need to accumulate some sea time and do a stint at maritime collage, and as i said above, prefer those with a trade background...

With your qualifications you need to be researching the Oil companies and those involved in Offshore Oil Field Construction and Maintenance, find out exactly what they want then go from there....

A lot of these companies like to get a hold of students so they can mould them into their way of thinking....some like to call it brainwashing....lol