Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 13-09-2011, 07:15 PM   #331
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Default Re: Who works in the mines and what doing

^ Do they have any non-skilled workers on these oil rigs?

I'm doing an apprenticeship but unless I can get an unskilled job in the mines or oil/gas I'll finish it, then ditch.
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-09-2011, 07:29 PM   #332
05_ENFORCER

Yep, some do. On the Songa rig I was on we had roughnecks straight from Karratha Kmart well, they were eager enough anyways.

We also used OMS (offshore maintenance services) as a labour hire mob for these guys.

One young bloke from Karratha said it was his first job and that he went and did a TBOSIET (HUET) course just to have a crack.
Old 13-09-2011, 07:42 PM   #333
Revolver
Big Member
Donating Member1

I have been looking at jobs in the mining sector, after I lost one of mine a few months ago, (& look to lose the other soon... Thats 2 in six months, both long time employers!) & will read through the rest of this thread a little later (12 pages, phew, thats some info).

The problem I have found is that looking at jobs in mining is like looking for a needle in a stack of needles. & Unfortunately all the jobs I find require tickets & experience.

Im certainly not saying "I cant find a job". Well I am, but not as a person who isnt prepared to look. I just dont know the prime locations to look. Seek has has a whole heap that require experience. But there again, seek is a bit "general" & not mining orientated.

So, can someone push me in the right direction to find something as a cleanskin? Im not afraid of hard work, & quite honest am looking for something that doesnt have me sitting or standing in front of a computer all day. Money is VERY tight ATM due to the loss of the first job, so going for licences & tickets is out. Otherwise I would train up & then pound the pavement (the way I would prefer).

So what are the positions available to cleanskins, & where are the best places to look for them? Websites, Big News papers.
/////Alpine Sound.
EBGT Momo Woodgrain Steering Wheel
The Scarlet Fairlane Build Thread

Project "White Knight"
93 ED XR6
ROH Alloys
Momo wheel
Cruise
Sunroof
Premo Sound
Manual
HO Goodies
PWK Build Thread

1990 Yamaha FZR 250: 59000ks & climbing. New fairing, old tank, my angry mosquito in a coffee tin! 14.977 1/4mile.
Revolver is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-09-2011, 02:46 PM   #334
whitesoarer

I'm interested to hear about all the couples who work in the mines, how you got started and your experiences.

The mrs and I want to go to the mines next year.

We don't have any mining experience or trade quals, she has a Diploma of Hospitality Management and 4 years of hospitality/customer service experience and I've got 4 years customer service/warehouse exp (and forklift ticket) and 3 years Govt IT (web) exp.

She wants a catering or cleaning job and I don't think she'd have too much trouble getting one.
Basically I'd take anything, cleaning or labouring or whatever so long as we work and stay at the same place. I'm reliable, fit and not afraid of a hard days work.
whitesoarer is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-09-2011, 03:08 PM   #335
Road Games

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Replacement. 

I applied for a serviceman position last week because i was getting knocked back from rear dump jobs, because i have been out of the industry for so long ..

Well *snip* me she rings up and says i'm over qualified for the service job would i consider an operators position (rear dump)

No wonder i drink....
Road Games is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-09-2011, 08:23 PM   #336
Jestr75
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist
Remember not all mines are in woop woop. There is a nice coal mine opening near here in a few months although I suspect it will not pay as well as working in the desert.
I am registered with them and haven't heard to much about it lately.
Its about 20 minutes from my place.
I would love to be able to be work there and be home every night instead of working away.
Getting a start there could be a bit of a lottery with all the mine workers that currently live in the area though.

When you are dead, You don't know that you are dead
Only those around you know you are dead.
It's the same when you are STUPID!!!
Jestr75 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-09-2011, 09:21 PM   #337
Big Bird 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitesoarer
I'm interested to hear about all the couples who work in the mines, how you got started and your experiences.

The mrs and I want to go to the mines next year.

We don't have any mining experience or trade quals, she has a Diploma of Hospitality Management and 4 years of hospitality/customer service experience and I've got 4 years customer service/warehouse exp (and forklift ticket) and 3 years Govt IT (web) exp.

She wants a catering or cleaning job and I don't think she'd have too much trouble getting one.
Basically I'd take anything, cleaning or labouring or whatever so long as we work and stay at the same place. I'm reliable, fit and not afraid of a hard days work.
You should'nt have any problems as they are always looking for workers.Apply to any of the companies that run the camps,ESS and Spotless are 2 of them.Most of them work 2 weeks on 1 week off.Spotless used to let their workers live permanently on site.
Old 14-09-2011, 10:10 PM   #338
whitesoarer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Bird 17
You should'nt have any problems as they are always looking for workers.Apply to any of the companies that run the camps,ESS and Spotless are 2 of them.Most of them work 2 weeks on 1 week off.Spotless used to let their workers live permanently on site.
Thanks mate I'll look into those 2, really appreciate the help.
whitesoarer is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-09-2011, 08:16 AM   #339
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

just on why it can be so hard to get in... new fella with us, green as **** but keen as **** down in the city... gets up here and bugger me ya couldnt pick his bottom lip up with a shovel.... missing his mum, missing his car and missing his friggin cat..... sometimes its not for everyone.... and yeah haha i'm having a ball...
pottery beige is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-09-2011, 12:34 PM   #340
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

LOL yeah but you go back to it with FIFO so whats his problem? God some people want everything.
Polyal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-09-2011, 12:45 PM   #341
Road Games

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Replacement. 

http://www.aimqld.com.au/training/mininginduction.htm

http://www.bmainduction.com.au/Pages/Home.aspx

I hope these two links assist someone because i just landed a job
Old 15-09-2011, 02:16 PM   #342
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Congratulations, do your sites cater dinner/lunch etc or is that only some mines?
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-09-2011, 02:20 PM   #343
Road Games

This one does...
Old 15-09-2011, 04:22 PM   #344
XRDeeze
UTRIED

Yes good on ya bro , my turn i Guess :/

Townsville Drag 1/10/11 PB: 15.34 @ 91.09 mph
XRDeeze is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-09-2011, 05:08 PM   #345
gtfpv
GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR6menace
http://www.aimqld.com.au/training/mininginduction.htm

http://www.bmainduction.com.au/Pages/Home.aspx

I hope these two links assist someone because i just landed a job

congrats ! finally we hear of someone getting in . well done.
gtfpv is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-09-2011, 05:24 PM   #346
Road Games

Cool Re: Who works in the mines and what doing

So ... now i can talk from experience.

Step 1. Get an OHSA Certficate II Generic Coal Induction, it will take 3 days, is valid for 2 years and cost's around $900.

Step 2. Now go get an BMA Site induction for a 1 day refresher course $230 you will be first pick by any contractors on a BHP site.

Step 3. Get a Coal board medical, bank on $300 and once given a start date you will need to do another one including Drug test at their expense.

Step 4. Pester the heck out of anyone and everyone you send your resume too, send an e-mail but follow it up with a Ph call !

Step 5. Believe half of what ya read and just get out there and do it! I get up everyday at 6am and i don't finish replying to e-mails or making Ph calls till lunch time...

Every link i have posted on here was because i have replied to them personally myself, previous experience didn't count for naught at the last dozen or so Ph interviews and the one person i did know in a high up position and promised me a start in Ipswich let me down.

Now that i will be working on a BMA site I need to do their induction as well , but it is only a 1 day refresher for $230 because i have an up to date certificate II since July 1st... if i knew that would have opened the door for me sooner i would have done it!
I assumed the BMA induction i would complete after i got a start?

That is the only other advice i can offer team, do as much as you can and beg borrow don't steal the money to achieve what i have said above.

You will be a cut above like minded people who havn't done their homework..

Negative nelly's will always agree to disagree with what i have just posted, but hopefully the positive people can prosper from my input...

Peace out Daz...
Old 15-09-2011, 05:32 PM   #347
05_ENFORCER

Well done Daz, it's all about persistence and determination.

Good luck.

Old 15-09-2011, 05:32 PM   #348
Big Bird 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR6menace
So ... now i can talk from experience.

Step 1. Get an OHSA Certficate II Generic Coal Induction, it will take 3 days, is valid for 2 years and cost's around $900.

Step 2. Now go get an BMA Site induction for a 1 day refresher course $230 you will be first pick by any contractors on a BHP site.

Step 3. Get a Coal board medical, bank on $300 and once given a start date you will need to do another one including Drug test at their expense.

Step 4. Pester the heck out of anyone and everyone you send your resume too, send an e-mail but follow it up with a Ph call !

Step 5. Believe half of what ya read and just get out there and do it! I get up everyday at 6am and i don't finish replying to e-mails or making Ph calls till lunch time...

Every link i have posted on here was because i have replied to them personally myself, previous experience didn't count for naught at the last dozen or so Ph interviews and the one person i did know in a high up position and promised me a start in Ipswich let me down.

Now that i will be working on a BMA site I need to do their induction as well , but it is only a 1 day refresher for $230 because i have an up to date certificate II since July 1st... if i knew that would have opened the door for me sooner i would have done it!
I assumed the BMA induction i would complete after i got a start?

That is the only other advice i can offer team, do as much as you can and beg borrow don't steal the money to achieve what i have said above.

You will be a cut above like minded people who havn't done their homework..

Negative nelly's will always agree to disagree with what i have just posted, but hopefully the positive people can prosper from my input...

Peace out Daz...
Don't forget to join the CFMEU.
Old 16-09-2011, 01:04 PM   #349
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polyal
LOL yeah but you go back to it with FIFO so whats his problem? God some people want everything.
i'm on fairly basic rate at the moment... new job.. new town.. cleared $2k for 4 x nightshifts.. soon get over missing home....
Old 16-09-2011, 01:18 PM   #350
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by pottery beige
i'm on fairly basic rate at the moment... new job.. new town.. cleared $2k for 4 x nightshifts.. soon get over missing home....
Hell yes, while I have been applying for summer jobs I nearly fell off my chair when I saw the wage..$80k...fudge me, thats not even grad. Sign me up!

I worked for a particular Australian automotive company and I thought I was king of the hill on $35k..LOL (still, 35 for a student is nice).

Lifes all about sacrifice hey.
Old 16-09-2011, 01:31 PM   #351
Road Games

My roster is 4 Days on 2 off then 4 Nights on and 6 off.. 12.5hr days

Looking forward to catching up with our members from the surrounding areas , my car is coming up with me initially ...
Old 16-09-2011, 02:18 PM   #352
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polyal
Hell yes, while I have been applying for summer jobs I nearly fell off my chair when I saw the wage..$80k...fudge me, thats not even grad. Sign me up!

I worked for a particular Australian automotive company and I thought I was king of the hill on $35k..LOL (still, 35 for a student is nice).

Lifes all about sacrifice hey.
You do realise there is a reason why they have to pay so much to get people to work out there........
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-09-2011, 02:26 PM   #353
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
You do realise there is a reason why they have to pay so much to get people to work out there........
for putting up with people like me.... hahaha.... if you can get in to it you will have an absolute ball... and earn decent kanga.... ($$$).....
Old 16-09-2011, 02:26 PM   #354
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Quote:
Yes I do, and I think you did mention it before. Id request for FIFO if possible and work longer stretches. I have a mate who works in Perth and FIFO from Vic. My father in law also did FIFO with and oil company, so while Im sure the reality is harsh Im up for it.

Having looked at numerous companies websites, there are vacancies all over the world, Angola, Russia, you name it, Id do that too. Got to give things a go while your young IMO.
Old 16-09-2011, 02:27 PM   #355
gtfpv
GT

Quote:

i agree , i'm glad you scored well guys, but be carefull , i strongly agree with chasing the money , but dont forget you always get what you pay for, money isnt just made up . be carefull remember the danger and risks involved always and you'll be ok . most high paying jobs came from dangers and risks involved not skill .
good luck guys i'm sure it would be an adventure .
gtfpv is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-09-2011, 02:30 PM   #356
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

One of my techs just got back from a year contract doing IT support for a only $200,000 in the hand.

The good part was that he was part of the support team behind the demise of Osama bin Laden.

The bad part was he was in Afganistan for a year and as a civilian could not be armed although he could be and was shot at.......
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-09-2011, 03:07 PM   #357
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

there is the new dudes that arent aware of the dangers.. then the experienced ones that become complacent, cut corners and ignore them... make it in between those two and its just like flipping burgers at maccas.....
Old 16-09-2011, 07:44 PM   #358
Stazza_Brendan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Have to wait till early October for my underground interview... Hope im not waiting this long just to get a "thanks but no thanks" email.
But on the other hand. Ive got 3 other jobs offered to me (still short contract) and another permanent job i can chase up. Looks like the initial leap into mining is paying off.
ZF - Optioned interior - Hardlid - Rapidsystems V4.5 kit - GTX3576R - Crow Cams Valve springs - 1000cc KPM injectors - 20" MC Racing Wheels - DashDaq/Cobalt Gauges - 4in dump/3.5in exhaust system - Shockworks Coilovers - 30mm Swaybar - Shockworks 4pot 355mm front brakes - GT R-spec rear brakes
CPV Tuned to 340rwkw
Stazza_Brendan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-09-2011, 09:04 PM   #359
vanman_75
XD Sundowner

Quote:
Enlighten me !
Old 16-09-2011, 09:17 PM   #360
Martys-Bionic-XR

Ive almost finished my time as an apprentice fitter/machinist with lots of experience in hydraulics. I am lookin at doing all necessary courses to get into the mines but is there a big demand for maintenance fitters and wat kind of coin are those guys on??

Marty.
Martys-Bionic-XR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post