Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 07-04-2024, 07:56 PM   #1
dmat2391
the average bloke

Default When should you go back to complain

Short story, last tune up asked the mechanic shop , that we've used since the car had 8klm on it, please replace the thermostat seems to be stuck open. Opened the bonnet to check fluids because I have a big trip coming up and notice the coolant is low. It's never been low.
Looking around I see a leak at the thermostat housing. Open it up to find the thermostat has been changed but the gasket is resting on top of the thermostat (not around it) and is split.
I've lost patience with them, as it's not the first issue in the last year. I will be looking elsewhere.
Do I let them know that someone there gives no f's about the work they do?

They stuffed up the replacement clutch but fixed it under "warranty". The head mechanic seems to want to do the right thing because he made it clear that it hadn't been installed correctly.
I'm not sure it's worth the headache.
Any advice would be appreciated.
It's a limited edition manual fg ii turbo so kind of special to me
dmat2391 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-04-2024, 08:13 PM   #2
.:4:.
Kicking back

Default Re: When should you go back to complain

The rubber thing that goes around the thermostat, even if you pay the repco/supercheap tax will only set you back $6. Just dry off then run a stanley over the mating surfaces to get any crap off the upper and lower surfaces of the thermostat housing for good measure then it should save much more of your life then arguing. If you've taken the top off im assuming you have the correct socket to fix it properly.
.:4:. is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 08-04-2024, 08:14 AM   #3
Peter B - CV8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Send a photo of the dodgy work to the shop involved & tell them how you feel. Their response (or possible lack thereof) will determine were you go from there...
Peter B - CV8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 08-04-2024, 08:38 AM   #4
HIPO
Al

I'd move on elsewhere!
HIPO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 08-04-2024, 10:46 AM   #5
bangm001
Mopar! But Own F6's..

Could have let you down in the middle of nowhere with family etc in the car. Bugger that, id tell them and see how they reply as above. Go from there.
Old 08-04-2024, 01:48 PM   #6
ToryMikey

Be very careful, mechanics are probably the dodgiest trade in Australia, lots of them are drug addicts and on the gear when they are working. Often times the "senior" mechanics get all the apprentices to do the work and will sit all day on Facebook/Instagram abusing people.

If you complain, they will abuse you, if you have a business of your own they will go after it, ask me how I know.

I would just cut all ties and never attend this shop again. Not worth the headache to complain.
1997 BMW E36 318i manual - Alpine White
ToryMikey is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-04-2024, 01:59 PM   #7
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: Your outstanding contributions to this community have not gone unnoticed. IN my view you are a worthy recipient of the (rarely used) Chairman's Award. 

That’s a broad brush you’re waving there.
Citroënbender is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 08-04-2024, 02:08 PM   #8
ToryMikey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citroënbender View Post
Sadly that's the experience I had.

And unfortunately if a shop can't even get the placement of a Falcon thermostat gasket right, what else can you say.
Old 09-04-2024, 10:40 PM   #9
XB GS 351 Coupe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I would let them know.

But the problem is there is no money in cars that do not break down.

A bit like the old doctors adage, 'a patient cured is a patient lost'.

Doctors do not want patients healthy they want them on medication surviving but requiring regular care and attention.

Mechanics are much the same.

The Week End Bruiser : FPV BF GT 40th Anniversary, 6 Speed Manual, 6/4 Brembo and lots of Herrod goodies

Project 1 : '75 XB GS 351 Ute, Toploader, 9" with 3.5's

Project 2 : '74 XB GS Big Block Coupe, Toploader, 9" with 4.11's

In Storage : '74 XB GS 351 Fairmont Sedan

XB Falcon Owners Group

Mike's Man Cave

XB GS 351 Coupe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-04-2024, 11:30 PM   #10
GCRXR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by XB GS 351 Coupe View Post
I would let them know.

But the problem is there is no money in cars that do not break down.

Doctors do not want patients healthy they want them on medication surviving but requiring regular care and attention.

Mechanics are much the same.
Tyre shops are much the same. Dodgy wheel alignments, to ensure the tyres wear, hoping you will return again. Purchased new tyres and had a wheel alignment at a national chain, for my PX. I compared their settings with the vehicle specs, before leaving the carpark. I went back inside and asked, "Why aren't the wheels aligned to Ford Specs?' His response was "Where did you get the specs?" I said, "out of the owner's manual mate." I then asked how you can adjust toe, camber, and caster, on a rear axle with leaf springs. "Ahhhhhhh, we'll refund your alignment charge." I asked, "You'll do it correctly then, so as to cover tyre warranty?"

I have not set foot back there since.
Old 10-04-2024, 12:26 AM   #11
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citroënbender View Post
Not far from the truth, industry is chock full of clowns, my supervisor was a meth junky and he was absolutely useless off the gear,

He'd be running off to get on the glass BBQ in the work shitters, same with a couple other blokes. When they weren't attending their little shardy party they'd struggle to wipe their own asses properly.

Joint ended up going under because corruption at the very top level.

Find another workshop OP, industry is rooted and full of lowly paid monkeys, wouldn't even trust a BMX to most of these flogs.

When you find one which actually takes pride in their work stick to them like shit to a blanket.

If the industry actually cared about it's reputation it would have tried to get its act together years ago.

Last edited by Franco Cozzo; 10-04-2024 at 12:35 AM.
Franco Cozzo is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 10-04-2024, 01:21 AM   #12
.:4:.
Kicking back

The way i look at it, if is a small mechanic shop, one where the owner is hands on, doesn't want to tarnish any hope for word of mouth free advertising. To be fair the odd mistake may happen, but thats called being human. Its when more then 1 person is on a job, and they 'just work there' thats when pack mentality comes into play. So if theres a stuff up, it turns into the blame game and nobody involved in said stuffed job admits resposibility so then its a circus of bs.
Not quite the same, but thats why when i was running sites i would issue each subordinate their colour of electrical tape. Easy to tell who ran cables too short or way too long. Also with fitting back, id give people their set areas and note that down. So when there were any defects, i could point that out. Yes i also adhered to my rules. But it was an effective way to break the pack mentality and make people responsible for their work.
.:4:. is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-04-2024, 07:22 PM   #13
ToryMikey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franco Cozzo View Post
Not far from the truth, industry is chock full of clowns, my supervisor was a meth junky and he was absolutely useless off the gear,

He'd be running off to get on the glass BBQ in the work shitters, same with a couple other blokes. When they weren't attending their little shardy party they'd struggle to wipe their own asses properly.

Joint ended up going under because corruption at the very top level.

Find another workshop OP, industry is rooted and full of lowly paid monkeys, wouldn't even trust a BMX to most of these flogs.

When you find one which actually takes pride in their work stick to them like shit to a blanket.

If the industry actually cared about it's reputation it would have tried to get its act together years ago.
Some may not agree. But my thought is if you can't wrap your head around a Falcon six's thermostat housing, you've got to have either never worked on a car before, or be high on something.

Agree regarding when you find a good shop - stay with them.
Old 10-04-2024, 07:36 PM   #14
ToryMikey

Quote:
Originally Posted by XB GS 351 Coupe View Post

Not really sure that is the case for the vast majority of doctors here in Australia. Besides, most GPs (especially in regional/rural areas) have full books anyway, and some even have waiting lists, so this conspiratorial "business plan" wouldn't even benefit them.

Sometimes people just require regular care and attention, such is the nature of chronic medical conditions. Diabetes and cancer are two obvious examples that should come to mind.