Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 02-02-2014, 02:36 PM   #931
sxckevo
Ford motor company

Default Re: 2014 Falcon Sneek Peak

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Eagle View Post
Our roads are among the worst in the world and i believe we need Australian DESIGNED cars for our pathetic roads
You're an extreme sort of guy.. Take a breath, exhaleeeee. Now follow this procedure for a healthy life.

I just come back from a trip driving from Las Vegas to LA. Have you driven on those roads before? I'd have a good guess and say no because they are easily the worst excuse of roads i have ever seen in my life. I now have nothing bad to say about any road i have driven on throughout Australia. We practically drive on the equivalent of the German Autobarn.

And on the note of the 2014 Falcon, i'm going to be a laughing mess on the floor if these picture from all these magazines end up being so far off the mark of the final release. They drag all you guys in so easily with their drivel. Not to mention somehow knowing the specs of a car that has not had any hard data quoted by it's manufacture yet.

WORK CAR: RED 1996 manual XG ute
sxckevo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 02-02-2014, 03:30 PM   #932
LeadFoot81
_Oo===oO_

Quote:
Originally Posted by damo6 View Post
Saw a highway patrol stormtrooper today sitting in a xr turbo which was a chocolate brown colour? Never seen that colour before. Maybe a test colour for the FH? I know Holden do that with their outgoing models to gauge opinion,do ford do the same?
Next generation colours have been applied on outgoing models of Falcons/Commodores for a long time (I'm sure other manufacturers do the same)
LeadFoot81 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-02-2014, 04:06 PM   #933
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Eagle View Post

Our roads are among the worst in the world and i believe we need Australian DESIGNED cars for our pathetic roads
Proof you need to fill your passport with many more stamps...

What rot. In fact, if there was ever a ratio that took road distances and population into consideration I would argue that we have some of the best roads in the world with the limited population we have to help pay for it all.

I've been around the world a couple of times or maybe more.......
Yellow_Festiva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 02-02-2014, 04:18 PM   #934
Bucknaked
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJM83 View Post
Wow, struggling to comprehend so much stupid in one post. Nearly crashed the internetz
My 1.8 litre Focus I used to have pulled my 9x5 trailer full of garden soil. mulch etc etc. I admit, not great up hills, but no problem in towing. It was easily upto the task
Bucknaked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 02-02-2014, 08:19 PM   #935
BadMax
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by sxckevo View Post
I just come back from a trip driving from Las Vegas to LA. Have you driven on those roads before?
I don't know what road you took, but I drove 2000 miles in the US in 2012 and I have actually drive from LA to LV and the road is far, far better than our equivalent interstate.
Single hump hard lid.
XR8 Bonnet
Colour coded mirrors.
Tint.
Reverse camera.
K&N.
More down the track...
BadMax is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-02-2014, 08:22 PM   #936
stevefreestyle
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by xr6turbo270kw View Post
FH XR8 will get brembos all the mules build so far have brembos fitted
Not sure if it's an option or standard.
Interesting, Is this on good authority - a reliable source, and how many XR8 mules are there ?

Any other info......KW... ?????

Last edited by stevefreestyle; 02-02-2014 at 08:30 PM.
stevefreestyle is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-02-2014, 08:26 PM   #937
stevefreestyle
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by martinijosh View Post
I put a deposit on a new Ford yesterday and bought another new Ford in 2012...
Australian Fords I hope !
Old 02-02-2014, 09:25 PM   #938
martinijosh
▇ ▅ █ ▅ ▇ ▂ ▃ ▁ ▅ ▃ ▅ ▅

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Excellent guide for headlamp repair. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevefreestyle View Post
Australian Fords I hope !
Nope... 1 built in Thailand and the other built in Germany.

I've loved both my Falcons, but for the money they just aren't built well enough compared to cars that cost half as much.

I've driven some FG's and they do feel better built than the B series, I will admit.
Headlights don't work in your B Series? Here's how to fix it!
martinijosh is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-02-2014, 12:02 PM   #939
stevefreestyle
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by martinijosh View Post
Nope... 1 built in Thailand and the other built in Germany.

I've loved both my Falcons, but for the money they just aren't built well enough compared to cars that cost half as much.

I've driven some FG's and they do feel better built than the B series, I will admit.
That's disappointing. By what objective quantum & criteria do you assess "Better Built" ....a rigorous comparative assessment evaluating driving dynamics - in all driving conditions, engine power and torque delivery, driving & handling dynamics, panel alignment and pain quality etc or....is it based on simply (subjective) "Feel" (as you state), a perception that Falcons are gouache or unfashionable, a preconceived perception filtered and "informed" by prejudiced anti-Ford Bias from Motoring "Journalists" who are generally die-hard GMH stalwarts ? Few cars could hold a candle to a Falcon in that price range - on any objective analysis - unless you judge a car not on how it actually drives, but on how many blutooth devices you can run, whilst on Feacesbook.......

Last edited by stevefreestyle; 03-02-2014 at 12:09 PM.
3 users like this post:
Old 03-02-2014, 02:36 PM   #940
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Quote:
That's disappointing. By what objective quantum & criteria do you assess "Better Built" ....a rigorous comparative assessment evaluating driving dynamics - in all driving conditions, engine power and torque delivery, driving & handling dynamics, panel alignment and pain quality etc or....is it based on simply (subjective) "Feel" (as you state), a perception that Falcons are gouache or unfashionable, a preconceived perception filtered and "informed" by prejudiced anti-Ford Bias from Motoring "Journalists" who are generally die-hard GMH stalwarts ? Few cars could hold a candle to a Falcon in that price range - on any objective analysis - unless you judge a car not on how it actually drives, but on how many blutooth devices you can run, whilst on Feacesbook.......
So he didnt buy a falcon? Seems your sad about that eh? Ive owned 2 german fords and from where I sit the quality is brilliant.
I think my car is well built, does that make me wrong?
Lots of generaliastions in your post aswell.
- Twin 2.5" Stainless Exhaust
- Antz Turboside Intake
- CCForged Phatlux wheels
DJM83 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-02-2014, 02:51 PM   #941
Focused

Quote:
Rather harsh comments directed towards martinijosh don't you think?
I've owned Falcons, Mondeos and Focis (multiple Falcons and Focis in the extended family) and I'd definitely be of the opinion that the Falcon's build quality is rather average. And yes, I'm being subjective.
Unfortunately some dismiss criticisms of quality by referring to towing capacity, 0-100 times or "RWD handling" amongst other excuses, but in the end of the day, and it pains me to say this, the Falcon is not a well built car. That's the public perception, and it ain't far from the truth.
Focused is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-02-2014, 02:59 PM   #942
buggo
[BU66OS]

Quote:
is it based on simply (subjective) "Feel"
I deleted the rest of your post because other than this it was just fluff.

Since when isn't buying a car subjective? There's no way I'd base my car on the objections of others.
If he says the quality wasn't up to his standard, than it wasn't up to his standard. He bought one that met the criteria instead - which was a Ford as well.
I'm battling to understand your point

BA XR8 Manual
buggo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-02-2014, 02:59 PM   #943
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Things seemed to go downhill after AU quality wise (yes I am a little biased), all these stories of rust etc on a car less than 5 years old shouldnt exist.

I cross my fingers that more care or whatever is taken with the last, but logic would dictate that not much will change. Thankgod they have weapon grade drivelines..LOL..just get a transcooler for that ZF once your warranty is up.
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Polyal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 03-02-2014, 03:09 PM   #944
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polyal View Post
Things seemed to go downhill after AU quality wise (yes I am a little biased), all these stories of rust etc on a car less than 5 years old shouldnt exist.

I cross my fingers that more care or whatever is taken with the last, but logic would dictate that not much will change. Thankgod they have weapon grade drivelines..LOL..just get a transcooler for that ZF once your warranty is up.
AU's were where the rust started!!! eeeeeeeeek.
Smoke Pursuit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 03-02-2014, 03:21 PM   #945
MercurySilver
Isn't it obvious?
Donating Member1

I thought they started rusting at xb's....
MercurySilver is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 03-02-2014, 03:34 PM   #946
prydey
Rob

i wonder how many people that whinge about falcon build quality own an FG? also, being a mass produced vehicle, there will always be, with all mass produced vehicles, good ones and bad ones.

i've owned every model falcon since XF and every model has been an improvement on the last, bar none. the FG (mine is one of the earliest builds) is a big step up. mine is 08 model and now has 105k on the clock and is still faultless. untouched zf as well.

i'm not about to say it is better than euro models though. i just don't think its badly put together. don't confuse quality of materials used, with poor build quality. falcon, now more than ever, is on a very tight budget and i'd be surprised if it would be any different with focus etc if they had the same hinderances.

my wife drives an 06 focus (80000km) and it is very tight, but i think small cars will always feel tighter than large cars. these days, i would say both are built very well but the haters (of each) will always find something to pick on, and usually they aren't owners of the models they are picking on.
prydey is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 03-02-2014, 03:40 PM   #947
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

You dont need to own one to see the pics here of rust, thin paint, stuffed bushes, milkshaked trans, ball joints (granted that seems to be sorted)..need we go on? All that with cars within their warranty period..

They can use any excuse they want to but its pretty common, which sucks because they are good cars but it must really take the shine of a new car experience; and the experience of owning a Ford as you then have to deal with Dealership/CRC etc
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Old 03-02-2014, 03:52 PM   #948
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by prydey View Post
i wonder how many people that whinge about falcon build quality own an FG? also, being a mass produced vehicle, there will always be, with all mass produced vehicles, good ones and bad ones.

i've owned every model falcon since XF and every model has been an improvement on the last, bar none. the FG (mine is one of the earliest builds) is a big step up. mine is 08 model and now has 105k on the clock and is still faultless. untouched zf as well.

i'm not about to say it is better than euro models though. i just don't think its badly put together. don't confuse quality of materials used, with poor build quality. falcon, now more than ever, is on a very tight budget and i'd be surprised if it would be any different with focus etc if they had the same hinderances.

my wife drives an 06 focus (80000km) and it is very tight, but i think small cars will always feel tighter than large cars. these days, i would say both are built very well but the haters (of each) will always find something to pick on, and usually they aren't owners of the models they are picking on.
Ive had 3 brand new FG Falcons... I no longer own one! But they all had problems... My SZ Territory odly enough has been okay (same factory) but my PX Ranger leaves the Falcons for dead as far as build quality. Not bad for something made in Thailand????
Smoke Pursuit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-02-2014, 04:22 PM   #949
prydey
Rob

Quote:
You dont need to own one to see the pics here of rust, thin paint, stuffed bushes, milkshaked trans, ball joints (granted that seems to be sorted)..need we go on? All that with cars within their warranty period..

They can use any excuse they want to but its pretty common, which sucks because they are good cars but it must really take the shine of a new car experience; and the experience of owning a Ford as you then have to deal with Dealership/CRC etc
this is pretty much a falcon based forum so you won't get much feedback of any other models. yes, there is sections for other models, but the participation is much lower in those areas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DASH GT
Ive had 3 brand new FG Falcons... I no longer own one! But they all had problems... My SZ Territory odly enough has been okay (same factory) but my PX Ranger leaves the Falcons for dead as far as build quality. Not bad for something made in Thailand????
like i said, all models will have bad ones. also, i've never considered an enthusiast forum an accurate cross section of the true picture. its the same with just about any product you can think of. look up a review site and bad reviews are nearly always dominant because normally people only bother to leave feedback when they are having grief with the product.

falcon isn't perfect. not saying it is but in its defence, it has a tiny budget in comparison to almost every other model car on the market and performs ok considering.
prydey is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-02-2014, 05:34 PM   #950
Dave R

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Valued contributor especially in the FG threads. Offers help and information to all. Posts are always in a positive manner. 

Quote:
You dont need to own one to see the pics here of rust, thin paint, stuffed bushes, milkshaked trans, ball joints (granted that seems to be sorted)..need we go on?
FGs aren't perfect, although I think it's a bit of a lottery. Two of my FGs went back to Ford fairly consistently between services for warranty issues (one of them was an early build so you can forgive it for having teething issues I guess). Both of those FGs are now gone. The one remaining is a naturally aspirated XR6 and it's been fantastic in comparison, hardly any issues to report. I think the NA XR6s are the pick of the Falcon range- the motor and driveline are bullet proof and they are very well balanced.

To replicate the Falcon fundamentals (large, RWD, high powered) but in a higher quality package you would really have to look closely at imported German saloons which are ridiculously expensive here for what they are.
Dave R is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-02-2014, 05:49 PM   #951
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrenaline View Post
FGs aren't perfect, although I think it's a bit of a lottery. Two of my FGs went back to Ford fairly consistently between services for warranty issues (one of them was an early build so you can forgive it for having teething issues I guess). Both of those FGs are now gone. The one remaining is a naturally aspirated XR6 and it's been fantastic in comparison, hardly any issues to report. I think the NA XR6s are the pick of the Falcon range- the motor and driveline are bullet proof and they are very well balanced.

To replicate the Falcon fundamentals (large, RWD, high powered) but in a higher quality package you would really have to look closely at imported German saloons which are ridiculously expensive here for what they are.
Yeah fully agree, although the EU cars are painted differently here because of primarily (I believe) the way in which they are taxed. Wonder in a few years now that the Gov has let the auto industry go that they will lower the taxes so we dont pay through the nose anymore...lower taxes

Prydey you are right the budget difference is the main driver, and thats where the Germans (and any other car sold globally) does well, they need volume to compete. Can you image if Ford did a GRWD platform? I think it will happen one day, but it will be to late to save the Falcon as thats the only thing that would have kept it alive.

But at the end of the day the consumer doesnt buy on pity for dev budgets, they buy on value and perceived quality and because the local cars have been hit with that dwindling over the years we have this situation, which sucks, because it deserves better.
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane

Last edited by Polyal; 03-02-2014 at 05:56 PM.
Old 03-02-2014, 06:10 PM   #952
Dr Smith
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by DASH GT View Post
See this is where some (not you Dash) get it wrong. Quality starts with design and in the case of Ranger it had a bigger budget then any Falcon program could have dreamed about so it should have better quality. Some teams worked on both, just one model had more to spend, greater sales volume to recoup those costs from and a more modern plant to be built within. Imagine a Falcon with Ranger budgets...it would shame a 5 series BMW...or conversely give Bavarian engineers a Falcon budget and watch them cry...

At least the last Falcon will look hot.

Last edited by Dr Smith; 03-02-2014 at 06:20 PM.
Dr Smith is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post:
Old 03-02-2014, 06:29 PM   #953
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Smith View Post
At least the last Falcon will look hot.
And generally spank the entire range in mumbo.worst case keep line ball.
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Old 03-02-2014, 06:35 PM   #954
FoxtrotGolfXray 5.0
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Willingly providing technical info and documents, despite glitches. 

So........

Any more sneak peek pics yet......????

Craig H

Life is a journey, not a destination.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Daily: 2013 FGII EcoLPi in Winter White
Play: 2015 FG X XR8 in Emperor Show' N Shine thread

Gone, but not forgotten: 2015 SZII petrol Titanium Territory in Emperor
FoxtrotGolfXray 5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-02-2014, 06:40 PM   #955
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
That's disappointing. By what objective quantum & criteria do you assess "Better Built" ....a rigorous comparative assessment evaluating driving dynamics - in all driving conditions, engine power and torque delivery, driving & handling dynamics, panel alignment and pain quality etc or....
Ford Australia's build quality down right sucks, and you can't deny it, from the quality of the plastics used to the lack of equipment on the inside.

Ford Thailand and South Africa are also on the crappier side, I've got a South African Focus and a German Fiesta, the Fiesta ***** on the Focus, put together really well.

LV Focus rattles, poor fitting trims etc.

I'm not a fan of Ford Thailand after seeing what they did to the Fiesta when it went from German WS to Thailand WT.
Franco Cozzo is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-02-2014, 06:56 PM   #956
mattrobbo26

Think this thread has gone off topic just a little.
mattrobbo26 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-02-2014, 07:07 PM   #957
HULK EF
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Am i in the wrong thread for FH rumours/spy pics?
HULK EF is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post:
Old 03-02-2014, 07:21 PM   #958
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

Quote:
Originally Posted by HULK EF
Am i in the wrong thread for FH rumours/spy pics?
Looks that way, the Falcon hate squad can't contain themselves.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Damo View Post
Ford Australia's build quality down right sucks, and you can't deny it, from the quality of the plastics used to the lack of equipment on the inside.
Lack of equipment has nothing to do with build quality, lack of equipment has everything to do with FoA being tight and the bean counters being let loose on cars to save $1.50 on a widget

Agree with the Thailand spec cars too, look at the issues people are having with the Ranger.

1970 XW Falcon GT replica | 1970 XW Falcon | 1971 XY Fairmont | 1973 ZG Fairlane | 1986 XF Falcon panel van | 1987 XFII Falcon S-Pack | 1988 XF Falcon GLS ute | 1993 EBII Fairmont V8 | 1996 XG Falcon ute | 2000 AU Falcon wagon | 2004 BA Falcon XT | 2012 SZ Territory Titanium AWD

Proud to buy Australian and support Ford Australia through thick and thin
Road_Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 03-02-2014, 07:52 PM   #959
Chopped
as in chopped

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Smith View Post
It's not a good career move to take photo's "factory side".
What career....
Old 03-02-2014, 08:04 PM   #960
Nikked
Oo\===/oO

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Long time member, loves Fords, sensible contributor and does some good and interesting posts. 

The FG's quality was remarkable, compared to the BA...much more engineering on all the parts, panel gaps and general taughtnes is quite acceptable IMO, up there with any euro/thai designed/built model.

Check out my Photo-chop page

T...I...C...K...F...O...R...D
\≡≡T≡≡/
Nikked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
8 users like this post: